Memphis Depay | Atletico player

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
As much as I also cringe reading this sort of thing - it's not really for us, is it? It's for his followers, which I suppose must of us here aren't. I certainly don't care much for news about him if it isn't about his football or about transfers that have actually happened (so not transfer rumours). If Memphis and his followers are comfortable socializing with each other in this way, then good for them.

Ashish Negi

After his 2 goals last night, Memphis Depay is now on 25 goals for the Dutch National Team & 22 assists: 47 G/A in 63 games.

For Lyon he produced 76 goals + 55 assists in 178 games.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’m not saying this to put Martial down - but I have always wondered how we would be if Mourinho had decided to dump Martial first over Memphis.

His personality and YouTuber like atmosphere has always been a worry though.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
he's a prick. I cant stand him.
He's going to struggle when he's retired and becomes just another nobody.
Does dutch tv have the equivalent of soccer saturday where they role out old footballers in a desperate attempt to stay relevant?

youmeletsfly

I’m not saying this to put Martial down - but I have always wondered how we would be if Mourinho had decided to dump Martial first over Memphis.

It's the current age we live in, everybody needs to be big on his "socials".
I seriously don't know why a lot of people around here don't like it as long as players keep up their performances on the pitch. Hell Aguero & Neymar are streaming o twitch, it's really the new normal these days.

I don't think Memphis's issue is his personality as it's similar to the typical football player of these days. I think he just need to shut his mouth from time to time and he'll be just fine.
The talent is surely there but it's still yet to be seen if he can deliver in a big team.

mu4c_20le

Memphis was atrocious for us. He looked stocky and couldn't dribble past a training cone. Alexis levels.

el3mel

Depay wasn't even good under LVG, was he? I think he just couldn't adapt to England back then. PL fullback seemed to put him in thier pockets everytime he played there under LVG.

We will never really know if the adaptation was the only reason though, unless he tries his luck again with an English club.

Monkers

Memphis was atrocious for us. He looked stocky and couldn't dribble past a training cone. Alexis levels.
He got tons of muscle in the last season of psv, lost a lot of speed. Seems to have found a way to use his muscles better in games.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Depay wasn't even good under LVG, was he? I think he just couldn't adapt to England back then. PL fullback seemed to put him in thier pockets everytime he played there under LVG.

We will never really know if the adaptation was the only reason though, unless he tries his luck again with an English club.
If I remember right he wasn’t that great playing for Lyon as a winger either - he started being much better playing centrally as a striker.

his dribbling and stuff was bad for a winger but maybe it wouldn’t have been so bad centrally.

Just last year we saw Rashford, Martial and Greenwood in a front 3 with Martial being like a linchpin/deep lying forward between the 3 - it’s kind of why I wonder how Memphis might have been if he played in between Rashford and Greenwood too.

Idxomer

If I remember right he wasn’t that great playing for Lyon as a winger either - he started being much better playing centrally as a striker.

his dribbling and stuff was bad for a winger but maybe it wouldn’t have been so bad centrally.

Just last year we saw Rashford, Martial and Greenwood in a front 3 with Martial being like a linchpin/deep lying forward between the 3 - it’s kind of why I wonder how Memphis might have been if he played in between Rashford and Greenwood too.
Memphis can't hold play for shit, he would be exposed big time again in the PL if he's deployed as a striker.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Didnt he talk a really good game while he was here? Private chef, nutritionist, extra training, want to be as good as ronaldo and all of that? It’ll be interesting to see how he handles the step up to barca. I can actually see him doing very well if this doesn’t turn out to be just another short lived Dutch experiment before they get another major cash injection and go back to signing the haalands of this world.

looked like he was playing in treacle, so slow.

after the other day, he’s proved he can only score free kicks against shite teams!

I’ve no resentment towards Depay, and glad he did well after leaving. The only annoyance is he left on a free when we had a sell on clause.

hope he does well for Barca, but it was right for all parties that he moved on.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's the current age we live in, everybody needs to be big on his "socials".
I seriously don't know why a lot of people around here don't like it as long as players keep up their performances on the pitch. Hell Aguero & Neymar are streaming o twitch, it's really the new normal these days.

I don't think Memphis's issue is his personality as it's similar to the typical football player of these days. I think he just need to shut his mouth from time to time and he'll be just fine.
The talent is surely there but it's still yet to be seen if he can deliver in a big team.
That's it. People like shitting on players for their public persona, especially when their performances are down; but I don't think there is any evidence at Lyon that Memphis is slacking on the pitch (trainings or matches) because he is too busy with his non-football stuff. I do think he said at some point after he had left Man Utd that his focus wasn't always optimal during his time there though - but I think clearly in the sense that he has learned from it. Other than that, I would always assume that top footballers are very dedicated to their work unless I hear otherwise. I mean, if you don't care enough, you're not too likely to make it to that level in the first place.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He was really bad for us and I think Lyon or a mid table English side might be his level (with all due respect to Lyon). I remember him doing quite well against EL opposition for us iirc.

He’s done great for the NT, always seems to score or assist, and his stats for Lyon has also been very good. Whenever I’ve watched him in bigger matches though, seemed like the same old issues (admittedly, haven’t followed much of him so it’s a small sample).

Think he’ll end up as a squad option for Barca, only to be shipped on in a couple of years. But stranger things have happened I guess.

Monkers

He was really bad for us and I think Lyon or a mid table English side might be his level (with all due respect to Lyon). I remember him doing quite well against EL opposition for us iirc.

He’s done great for the NT, always seems to score or assist, and his stats for Lyon has also been very good. Whenever I’ve watched him in bigger matches though, seemed like the same old issues (admittedly, haven’t followed much of him so it’s a small sample).

Think he’ll end up as a squad option for Barca, only to be shipped on in a couple of years. But stranger things have happened I guess.
He was great against Germany and france. So he can be great vs good teams.

Last edited:

Monkers

Yeah, he does always seem to deliver for the NT in fairness, as I’ve noted in that post.
Could be the system or Koeman, if he joins Barca he will be working with Koeman again, so that could help him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Could be the system or Koeman, if he joins Barca he will be working with Koeman again, so that could help him.
Yep, and having some familiar faces behind him (Wijnaldum, Frenkie). I still don’t see how he fits in, or works his way into that frontline with Ansu Fati, Aguero, Dembele & Griezmann all vying for 2 spots.

Yep, and having some familiar faces behind him (Wijnaldum, Frenkie). I still don’t see how he fits in, or works his way into that frontline with Ansu Fati, Aguero, Dembele & Griezmann all vying for 2 spots.
he’s a cheap squad player.

Monkers

He seems to be going to Barcelona, his shirt was posted on the official site before they took it down.

Cloud7

Hope he does well at Barcelona. Liked him more than a lot of our other incomings over the last decade.

Hope he does well at Barcelona. Liked him more than a lot of our other incomings over the last decade.
he was poor at United, and he needed to move on. Wish him well as he never slagged the club off unlike the likes of Lukaku and Di Maria.

shame they never sold him as we had a sell on clause.

Varun

Staff
He's at his best upfront, a position Aguero or Messi will occupy. This won't end well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can't see him playing much there. Weird move for him. Aguero, Messi, Griezmann, Dembele, Fati are all in front of him for a front 3 position.

Can't see him playing much there. Weird move for him. Aguero, Messi, Griezmann, Dembele, Fati are all in front of him for a front 3 position.
agree. Makes sense for Barca, as he’s a cheap squad player. But if a strange move from him - wouldn’t be surprised to see him move in 12 months.

Monkers

agree. Makes sense for Barca, as he’s a cheap squad player. But if a strange move from him - wouldn’t be surprised to see him move in 12 months.
Depay just ended a season where he was one of the best players in Ligue1, He should have gotten at least some talks that he will play, Koeman personly seems to have talked him into joining Barca over Juve.

Robertd0803

Best thing hes done in my opinion in recent years is admit he wasnt as focused as he should have been at United. He seems to have learned from it.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Depay just ended a season where he was one of the best players in Ligue1, He should have gotten at least some talks that he will play, Koeman personly seems to have talked him into joining Barca over Juve.
Agreed that “surely” there must have been some assurances of game times but honestly, with those options upfront, I do struggle to see how he breaks into a starting position.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Think he's been comfortably better than our attackers in the past 2/3 years. Albeit a weaker competition, he just came behind Mbappe/Neymar. This Barca move seems weird. He is not a winger and won't play upfront. Should have gone to Italy, Arsenal or Spurs I'd say.

Stacks

He's like your ex girlfriend who was fat and insecure when she was with you but turned into a beautiful butterfly when she found a new boyfriend :(
Or she found an uglier boyfriend who treats her well and she wears a lot of make up.
He's at his best upfront, a position Aguero or Messi will occupy. This won't end well.
Its a weird signing. Griezmann, also better through the middle. Think Depay will be out wide
Think he's been comfortably better than our attackers in the past 2/3 years. Albeit a weaker competition, he just came behind Mbappe/Neymar. This Barca move seems weird. He is not a winger and won't play upfront. Should have gone to Italy, Arsenal or Spurs I'd say.
I think Rashford and Martial have shown a higher peak.

Varun

Staff
Or she found an uglier boyfriend who treats her well and she wears a lot of make up.

Its a weird signing. Griezmann, also better through the middle. Think Depay will be out wide

I think Rashford and Martial have shown a higher peak.
Greizmann's signing is exactly what this reminds me of but with the player of much lesser quality.