Memphis Depay (stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapor trail

Totally not against this. All outstanding strikers within the market have moved. Oshimen from Napoli gets mentioned but that is an expensive signing. Depay was good at Lyon unneeded at Barca due to their depth of options.

Kramer

Jonathan David
I’d like United to take a punt on him too. Think he can become a top striker. But he’ll probably be too expensive for us in this window, especially if we’re still trying to sign Antony.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Hed be cheap and he's probably the best option available if we are looking for a striker similar to Martial. 12 goals and 2 assists in 28 games is solid. I'm not sure there are actually better strikers we can get this window

DevilRed

Normally I'd agree, but reports did suggest we are looking at a forward in the market, and it's doubtful we have much money left for one. So its value in the market.

Better start watching his Barca comps
Would MUCH rather we go with youth.

We are teeming with players who are looking for a chance to break through.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
There’s no actual link to us is there

peridigm

No thanks. Not even his compatriot that signed him thought he was good enough.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Would MUCH rather we go with youth.

We are teeming with players who are looking for a chance to break through.
Which young striker do you have in the academy?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It’s better than having just Martial and Rashford but pretty meh

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
As a stop gap, because we love doing them and preferably on a season loan, then I'd certainly be open to him coming back.

But, ideally, I'd want us to bring in someone who can contribute now and future seasons who's also here permanently.

Preferred Option 1 : Ronaldo stays, Ajax sign Depay for £17m so Barca can pay off De Jong. United sign De Jong and Anthony.
Less preferred Option 2 : Ronaldo leaves, United sign Depay and De Jong from Barca, No Anthony this window as Ajax do not have a replacement.

At £15-20m he is a short term punt signing who could be moved on in a years time for at least £20m if it doesn't work out

OverratedOpinion

Normally I'd agree, but reports did suggest we are looking at a forward in the market, and it's doubtful we have much money left for one. So its value in the market.

Better start watching his Barca comps
I would rather sign Belotti on a free and give Martial another chance as first choice.

forevrared

For all the players we’ve persisted with who never looked good enough, Depay was one I always thought we gave up on a bit quickly. He’s definitely kicked on since leaving and likely fits better in the side now than he did initially. If it gets us De Jong, all the better.

Blood Mage

Wasn't good enough then and isn't good enough now. The pace of La Liga is too much for him never mind the PL.

crossy1686

career ending
Who keeps bringing this guys name up? He wasn't good enough when we first signed him, he hasn't improved since then, he just went to a shit league and managed to get a move to Barcelona because Koeman was desperate.

I'd rather have Ighalo back for a season than splash any money on Depay again.

CM

Not for me. It's questionable whether he's even an upgrade on Martial, and we shouldn't be doing anything to reduce the financial burden on Barcelona if we don't get De Jong done.

m1tch

Couldn't get the better of a single fullback in the league when he was here before, so unless he's had an incredible jump in ability then he's still not good enough for the premier league.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Been predictably "meh" since he went back to a top club/league.

No tar.
This isn't actaully true though is it?

His goal contributions/minutes is actually really high at Barca

He's also scoring at a great rate in International football too.

I get he had a bad time here the first time around and people dislike him because he makes Music, but is he actually that bad?

For a back up striker he'd be a decent option in a dutch possession based team IMO.

Zed 101

Everyone overlooking whether or not he would want to come back to Utd, unless he is also "forced out" at Barca where is the incentive for him?

Zoo

He’s a versatile and mobile goal scorer who is best in the penalty area. Saying that I’m not sure it’s a good idea to revisit the past on this one.

Idxomer

This isn't actaully true though is it?

His goal contributions/minutes is actually really high at Barca

He's also scoring at a great rate in International football too.

I get he had a bad time here the first time around and people dislike him because he makes Music, but is he actually that bad?

For a back up striker he'd be a decent option in a dutch possession based team IMO.
8 non-penalty goals in 37 games, a goal every 309 minutes.

His record is average and his skill set doesn't exactly fit a possession-based team in the PL.

saik

Let's get the new MMM going. Memphis, Marcus, Martial.:drool:

Having said that I don't think he will be a starter for us but we definitely need a depth option for our forwards regardless of Ronaldo staying or leaving and he is a decent choice.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Let's get the new MMM going. Memphis, Marcus, Martial.:drool:

Having said that I don't think he will be a starter for us but we definitely need a depth option for our forwards regardless of Ronaldo staying or leaving and he is a decent choice.
Don't remind me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.