Memphis Depay (stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
Because Depay is shite and we'd basically be paying ridiculous money for De Jong. Honestly it's getting to the stage where De Jong is subconsciously reaching levels for certain people that he is not. Let's not forget that this is a player that has a reputation based on what he did a number of years ago at Ajax. I just think we're getting took to the cleaners if we go down this road and once again have the desperate idiot image that we were apparently trying to rid ourselves of.

Think about it, were going to pay for a player that has flopped here and done jack shit since, just to buy another player. Some of you are so desperate for this shiny new toy that you're blind to the shit show it would be.
Is he shite though? Really? I don’t know how much you’ve followed him since United but his record domestically and internationally is pretty good. He’s also versatile as a forward and offers flexibility that would be useful.

To say you’d rather not have either seems overly extreme. More so than someone accepting his return in my opinion.

SungSam7

Funny how James scored more goals at the same age
Absolute nonsense comparison, we have Depay who has admitted that he didnt apply himself like he should have throughout his time.

Im sure you remember how mind numbingly boring the football was under LVG, creative players were restricted to basically passing the ball side ways. How does that compare to someone like Dan James that had Ole playing counter attack style football, it was down his alley considering a lot of his goals for Swansea were on the break.

You cant sit and tell me Dan James should be playing for Lyon and Barca?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Maybe this was what the old cryptic Mitten comment was previously. Have to say if be underwhelmed, but from the little I've seen with Ten Hag, he wont suffer lack of effort. So if he wants him, he will believe he can get a tune out of him.

mu4c_20le

Absolute nonsense comparison, we have Depay who has admitted that he didnt apply himself like he should have throughout his time.

Im sure you remember how mind numbingly boring the football was under LVG, creative players were restricted to basically passing the ball side ways. How does that compare to someone like Dan James that had Ole playing counter attack style football, it was down his alley considering a lot of his goals for Swansea were on the break.

You cant sit and tell me Dan James should be playing for Lyon and Barca?
I didn't say he was better, damn :lol:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Is he shite though? Really? I don’t know how much you’ve followed him since United but his record domestically and internationally is pretty good. He’s also versatile as a forward and offers flexibility that would be useful.

To say you’d rather not have either seems overly extreme. More so than someone accepting his return in my opinion.
I'd rather have De Jong on his own than those options. But I don't want to see this tool back at United. We've just got rid of a couple. I've seen him a few times for Barca and I just don't rate him. I saw enough of him in the PL to know this anyway.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'd rather have De Jong on his own than those options. But I don't want to see this tool back at United. We've just got rid of a couple. I've seen him a few times for Barca and I just don't rate him. I saw enough of him in the PL to know this anyway.
Wasn’t that 5/6 years ago though? When he was in the PL?

Hoof the ball

So bye-bye, Mr Memphis Depay
Drove Laporta to Santander
But the accounts were dry
Them good old Cules were eating paella and pie
Singing, "We'll be activating levers til we die"
We'll be activating levers til we die

Canagel

He should stay away from us. A couple of links here and there and the fanbase are already dissing him, if he actually got here and he doesnt score in 1 or 2 games you already know he will be the easy target. He is more than good enough to start here but its not worth it.

I would like to see him try Italy if Barca try to kick him out.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Without looking, yeah around that timeframe. But he wasn't a kid, he was early 20s and he seemed to be a bit quicker and agile then. I think we'd actually be getting a worse version of him.
Have you actually watched him play at all since he left? :lol:

Vapor trail

He should stay away from us. A couple of links here and there and the fanbase are already dissing him, if he actually got here and he doesnt score you already know he will be the easy target. He is more than good enough to start here but its not worth it.

If he comes here who care what the fans think ? The same fans that when Maguire was in a little decent form he was being called one of the best defenders in the league.

It reminds me of the Tielemans thread when United were linked before Leicester purchased him from Monaco after his loan. Fast forward two or so seasons and he's all of a sudden not better than Fred / Mctomminay or he's better than them both but not good enough for United.

You can't make it up, very hard to take the online fan base seriously.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Have you actually watched him play at all since he left? :lol:
Yes. Which part do you disagree with? Depays best football came at PSV, he signed for United on the crest of a wave and I believe that if he was good enough then he'd have shown it then. I don't think it was because of LVG or anybody else that he failed here. And I don't think he's pulled up any trees in Spain or made it look like we made a bad choice in getting rid. I've never heard anybody say that either.

Let's face it. If any United supporter was told at the beginning of the window that we'd lose Ronaldo and sign Depay, what do you think the reaction would be?

Posters are trying to convince themselves it's a good move because they're so desperate for Frenkie. Apologies for calling a spade a spade.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
So bye-bye, Mr Memphis Depay
Drove Laporta to Santander
But the accounts were dry
Them good old Cules were eating paella and pie
Singing, "We'll be activating levers til we die"
We'll be activating levers til we die
:lol: marvellous

daba

I haven't followed Memphis much since he left us, so just out of curiosity/boredom had a look at his highlights from last season on YouTube. Below are some of the comments from Barca fans:

"He should stay... His diligence and quality of play is amazing as he continued to adapt to Xavi's system despite the change of coach. Off the ball, skill with his feet, decisiveness and tactical understanding... Memphis has everything to succeed at Barça"

"Can't believe they are playing ferran Torres over this BEAST, he's becoming my favourite player for sure"

"Memphis Depay needs to be selected for starting line up He's better than Ferran"

"This guy carried everyone at his back when the season started with all the injuries, bad performances and bad coach."

"Memphis definitely needs a lot more playing time"

"He have to stay I love his football Better than ferran"

I was rather shocked ngl. I went in expecting an onslaught of negative comments as generally so far the Utd fan response hasn't been too warm on the idea. But he actually seems like a bit of a fan favourite. Of course maybe on his own highlight reel you might expect more Memphis fans than haters, but there literally were 0 haters in sight.

On balance, if signing Memphis for €20m (adding some needed depth across the front line) provides the key (or lever if you're from Catalan) to unlocking De Jong then I'm all for it. Certainly seems a more mature player than when he left us and maybe he feels he has a point to prove in Manchester and in the Prem...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Looking at the numbers, it turns out Memphis only had one real season here - he was sold 8 games into his second. For some reason I had it in my head that he was stinking up the place for a while and we couldn’t wait to be rid of him. 13 goals for Barcelona last season isn’t bad, 28 and in his prime, we’re light up front...I mean if they think it’ll help with De Jong we could do worse than take him off their hands.

marktan

He was shite at United and shite at Barca.

They've signed about 50 attackers that are ahead of him.

It's genuinely mind boggling to me that people in this thread would be open to pay £20m for him, christ that would be a massive waste of money.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
He was shite at United and shite at Barca.

They've signed about 50 attackers that are ahead of him.

It's genuinely mind boggling to me that people in this thread would be open to pay £20m for him, christ that would be a massive waste of money.
He wasn't 'shite' at Barca, he was doing pretty well last season until he got injured, I'd happily keep him for next season. This isn't the same Memphis we saw at United the first time.

AndyMUFC

We could definitely do a lot worse. Fits into the fluid forward line we'd have with Martial, Rashford and Sancho too. lHe only had one real season here, and we've seen enough shit seasons from one off squad members to know that doesn't mean anything.

Rolaholic

He hasn't been shite at Barca, he was their top scorer and played a big part of why they still qualified for the CL last season along with Aubemeyang.

Most Barca fans would be sore to see him move especially after they wasted big money on an inferior player in Ferran Torres. Some might not rate him but he's a much improved and better in every facet as a player than the young green kid LVG signed years ago. He's got the awareness and intelligence that comes with experience in his game know

redshaw

Would be very interested to see how he does here again, I think he's matured a lot and has played a good role in the national team as well. With Ten Hag at the helm I can be positive about it.

Ultimately he isn't the top player that the fans would want given the attackers we've had, he's a solid attacking utility player that given our situation we can use. I'd love us to be having a top player in their prime but it will take a us a year or two to unearth or be attractive to sign said player.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'd take him for on a 3 year deal if Ronaldo gets sold honestly, if it helps secure FDJ.

He can drop to a squad option once united strengthen for a striker in future seasons.

Abraxas

He should stay away from us. A couple of links here and there and the fanbase are already dissing him, if he actually got here and he doesnt score in 1 or 2 games you already know he will be the easy target. He is more than good enough to start here but its not worth it.

I'm not sure he is "more than good enough to start" here, that seems a strange comment for something that isn't especially obvious. As we stand we still have Ronaldo, so that's him not starting in his best position. He's never keeping Sancho out and it's very debatable he's a better option than Martial or Rashford on the left. He's in competition with them, not outright better.

Only makes sense if Ronaldo goes, but if that happens and Depay is our idea of a replacement we're in a world of trouble.

CarbonStoolBites

I would rather sign Danny Ings or play Scott McTominay up top than see Depay back.
Seems the Lingard type and not to mention how terrible he was for us, and looked completely off the pace in the premier league.
I know he’s more of a striker now, but I can’t recall him beating a single full back in the premier league.

Nah, no thanks, just no.
That’s one Dutch player too many, just chill ETH, what’s Edin Dzeko up to nowadays?

Soon to be Holland’s all time top
Scorer :lol:
Says more about the current level of international football and the ridiculous and pointless amount of matches they’re playing than his qualities as a player.

Ted Lasso

His hold up play has improved quite a bit. Hate to make the comparison but could see him being as useful as Firminho in allowing Martial Rashford and Sancho to play off him.

Would be a very good return for him and United.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He couldn't even consistently perform in La Liga and you want him here?
Stay the feck away

Mercurial Beckham

I agree with this wholeheartedly. He’d be targeted from day 1. I’d love to see him in Serie A as well. Highly technically skilled player, with a decent bit of physicality in his game. He’d do really well there.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He was very poor here except vs lower league opposition, he wasn't the star when lyon played in the CL despite his numbers for the team overall, and he flopped totally in xavi's team after doing ok in koeman's setup.
In short, not good against good opposition, or in big matches, or in a better coached team.

No.

Chicharo

So we didn't sign Sneijder 10+ years ago, and the time has come to compensate by bringing every Dutch player who is around...

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Barcelona fans seem to really respect him - apparently came during a tough time and helped the club out.

Mainoldo

Says more about the current level of international football and the ridiculous and pointless amount of matches they’re playing than his qualities as a player.
That’s what I thought. Then I checked the appearances. He’s pretty lethal.

prateik

This isnt happening.. Barca are looking to sell him.. this is the usual - link a player to united to get some coverage - nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.