Memphis Depay / signed for Barca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

You said he's only good against cannon fodder and I mentioned his CL campaign this past season where only 3 players scored more than him.

He's had a good record for Lyon since joining so it's no big surprise that another big club seemingly has interest in him, one with a Dutch manager no less.

Signing him would allow Koeman to play Griezmann up top with Suarez leaving as he's already hinted at wanting to try.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You said he's only good against cannon fodder and I mentioned his CL campaign this past season where only 3 players scored more than him.

He's had a good record for Lyon since joining so it's no big surprise that another big club seemingly has interest in him, one with a Dutch manager no less.

Signing him would allow Koeman to play Griezmann up top with Suarez leaving as he's already hinted at wanting to try.
And his record for Lyon shows that he only really performs against cannon fodders and good teams out of form. In the group stage only Leipzig were decent. And I'm not surprised that Barcelona would take a chance because it's worth it but I'm skeptical about the chances of success, while he has the technical tools to be very good I don't think that he is a high pressure type of player and for that reason I feel that Dortmund was a perfect place for him. But as I said I wish him the best and a successful career wherever he goes.

red4ever 79

This isn't the same Depay that left us. He has matured as a striker and even plays Infront of Moussa Dembele many times.
He might not be the same player that left us, but never in a million years is he a Barca center forward. Koeman wants his dutch contingent there. He is trying to sign the midfielder from liverpool also.

@everton fans - did he do something similar there? I remember he signed Klaassen who was utter tosh, did he sign any other dutch players?

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/memphis-depay/alletore/spieler/167850
He barely scores against top teams. 1 goal vs PSG in 3 years.
Just look at how many goals he scored against teams that are in the bottom half of the league (33 goals):lol:

dutchred

Just to clarify, I am not saying we should buy him back but he was absolutely brilliant for Holland on Friday, be interesting to see how he performs against Italy on Monday

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Just to clarify, I am not saying we should buy him back but he was absolutely brilliant for Holland on Friday, be interesting to see how he performs against Italy on Monday
He has been very good for the national team in the last couple of years. I keep thinking about Podolski and Germany when I see that.

RedNed77

Some posts sound more like jealousy if anything. Some people on these boards just don't like seeing players who've left us succeed elsewhere or have any sort of luck. Losing sleep over meaningless things again as per the Caf habit.
Or maybe most just didn’t rate him, weren’t sorry to see him leave and the fact that he’s done pretty well in France isn’t enough to convince most that he’s going to be a success in a basket case that is current era Barca.

I like him, think he’s a decent bloke and his heart seems to be in the right place re United as others have pointed out, but most wouldn’t have him back here and really can’t see him doing well there.

Davie Moyes

And his record for Lyon shows that he only really performs against cannon fodders and good teams out of form. In the group stage only Leipzig were decent. And I'm not surprised that Barcelona would take a chance because it's worth it but I'm skeptical about the chances of success, while he has the technical tools to be very good I don't think that he is a high pressure type of player and for that reason I feel that Dortmund was a perfect place for him. But as I said I wish him the best and a successful career wherever he goes.
I've not followed him much since he left and wondered if we should re-sign him especially at that decent price. However I'll trust your judgment on this and be pleased with any sell on fee we receive that could go towards transfers instead.

Statue of Limitations

Man I remember being so hyped for this guy, lived how he trolled Liverpool with a pic of our place after he had met them for talks.

Sadly I think it was that he just wasn't ready to make the move to our level, he duly went down a peg in Ligue 1 and found form, confidence and style.

He also got better and better for the Dutch team.

I think there was a world where we would have given him another chance, but personally I've been pleased to see him doing well, maybe because my wife is Dutch!

Barca is another level of pressure, just ask Dembele or Coutinho. It's a risk for all parties.

Good luck to him though, maybe if his compatriot Wijnaldum joins too it will be easier to settle especially with a Dutch coach I guess.

Castia

Another shit Barcelona signing then.

I’ll never get over just how bad he was for us. I’ve seen some shit down the years like Bebe and Bellion but this guy is high up on that list his time at United was a disaster.

Fair play to him in redeeming himself somewhat at Lyon but he’s nowhere near good enough for Barce.

Betson

Another shit Barcelona signing then.

I’ll never get over just how bad he was for us. I’ve seen some shit down the years like Bebe and Bellion but this guy is high up on that list his time at United was a disaster.

Fair play to him in redeeming himself somewhat at Lyon but he’s nowhere near good enough for Barce.

He was very poor for us alright , but we have to remember he was also very young coming to a huge club with a lot of expectation.

Even players like Kevin De Bruyne and Mo Salah struggled to make an impression when they came to the premiership first time around.

SinNombre

He has been good for Lyon centrally.

That's the exact same position Messi plays and the exact position where Griezmann is a good player (and isn't for Barca since Messi plays there).

How many central "wingers" does Barca need?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So what's he gonna be like at Barca? I always thought he had loads of talent, just not properly motivated. How will they line up if the maestro stays?

--------------------Depay
Grizemann---Messi---Dembele
-----------Pjanic------.....

They need to acquire some workhorses in midfield and defense.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He would be wasted on wings and Greizmann already plays through centre. Signing doesn't make any sense at all.

treble_winner

He has been good for Lyon centrally.
How many central "wingers" does Barca need?
He would be wasted on wings and Greizmann already plays through centre. Signing doesn't make any sense at all.
I remember Van Gaal used to get slaughtered on here for trying to deploy Memphis centrally because he was supposedly better on the wing. How quickly can things change... :lol:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I can't believe Barcelona are after him. Can't they try and get something out of Griezzman?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Have no idea how he's suddenly become good enough for Barcelona. Don't think he's at their required level and not a good fit either.

amolbhatia50k

ti vu

So what's he gonna be like at Barca? I always thought he had loads of talent, just not properly motivated. How will they line up if the maestro stays?

--------------------Depay
Grizemann---Messi---Dembele
-----------Pjanic------.....

They need to acquire some workhorses in midfield and defense.
Griezmann is wasted on the wing. Between Griezmann and Memphis, Griezmann is the better forward. Even if Suarez leaves, Barcelona would be good with Fati getting game time on the wing while Griezmann, Messi sharing the forward/false 9 role, than Memphia.

Rolaholic

Doubt it'll take long for both clubs to reach an agreement seeing as OL reportedly value him at 25m heading into the final year of his contract and with him not looking to renew

MS4

It would hurt seeing an ex-player joining a top3 club

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Whilst I'm hesitant to say he is going to be as good because he is Memphis- Jose Mourinho has made some crazy sales that look awful in a few years time so it wouldn't be the most surprising if memphis got added to that -

De Bryune, Salah, Robben I cant remember the whole list but there is some significant one none the less.

Rolaholic

How come?

Of course it would've been nice to see him do well at United but personally quite glad to see ex-players do well with other clubs tbh as I generally still have a slight attachment to some of them.

Unless there's an ugly breakup, ala ADM/Alexis, I tend to root for ex Reds at other clubs.

Happy that it seems like he'll get another chance at a megaclub, feels like he's much better equipped and mature enough to tackle the challenges of playing at a club with giant expectations now than he did 5 years ago.

amolbhatia50k

Would it really? I mean, I wouldn't put him our team ahead of Martial or Rashford. Good for him if he can get a move to Barcelona although it's surprising as I've never felt he's good enough for it.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
It's weird seeing Memphis go from Lyon to Barca but still not remotely regret selling him.

You'd think it would've signified a huge mistake

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's weird seeing Memphis go from Lyon to Barca but still not remotely regret selling him.

You'd think it would've signified a huge mistake
He's better than people give him credit for.

They just can't see passed the fact that he failed here the first time and now have him listed as shite. He's developed since then and got his physique back to normal.

saivet

I think he's a good player but not sure it makes much sense for Barca. I'd have thought it would make sense to play Messi or Griezman centrally with Suarez on his way out. It will be interesting to see how Barca set up.

Jaxa

This will ultimately end in tears,

I like Memphis, he had a sh*t time at United mostly (as he admits) due to his own motivation and self doing, I think he is at a great level now, however Barca is just a mountain too high to climb for him, the pressure at that club to perform constantly at a high level is insane but now with the board/messi situation it's a bubbling pot of disaster just waiting to explode , I can only imagine what Messi is thinking going from at one point Neymar and Saurez upfront with him to Depay and Braithwaite,

Koeman will be sacked after 6 months ( he is a sh*t manager with an even sh*tter attitude) and then he will be on the transfer list by next Summer.

Blood Mage

He's a decent lad and has developed into a very good player at Lyon. Perhaps he joined United too soon? Ah well good luck to him at Barca but not sure that circus is the best environment for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.