Memphis Depay / signed for Barca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
This will ultimately end in tears,

I like Memphis, he had a sh*t time at United mostly (as he admits) due to his own motivation and self doing, I think he is at a great level now, however Barca is just a mountain too high to climb for him, the pressure at that club to perform constantly at a high level is insane but now with the board/messi situation it's a bubbling pot of disaster just waiting to explode , I can only imagine what Messi is thinking going from at one point Neymar and Saurez upfront with him to Depay and Braithwaite,

Koeman will be sacked after 6 months ( he is a sh*t manager with an even sh*tter attitude) and then he will be on the transfer list by next Summer.
Memphis also just doesn't seem like a good fit positionally. He has played most of his career as a LW or as a second striker or more withdrawn striker in a two striker system. Barca need a real 9 that can play alone up front, occupying the CBs and allowing Messi, Griezmann, Coutinho, Fati etc space to operate. Memphis has never been that kind of CF.

Barca is a mess so who knows. But this has dumb transfer written all over it.

Idxomer

He got a lot better the last few years but he still has many flaws in his game especially in his technique.

This is a great chance for him though to join a top club again and play under a manager he has a good relationship with. I think he'll take Suarez place in the team and his success will depend naturally on how well he'll fit with Messi.

vodrake

Seems a bit of a risk for Koeman's first signings to be bringing in a couple of his compatriots from the National team, neither of whom immediately seem to fit the profile of what the club needs. Puts a lot of pressure on Memphis to immediately hit the ground running, otherwise it looks like Koeman's just bunged his mates in as a favour and they'll both be out the door at the soonest opportunity.

Jaxa

Memphis also just doesn't seem like a good fit positionally. He has played most of his career as a LW or as a second striker or more withdrawn striker in a two striker system. Barca need a real 9 that can play alone up front, occupying the CBs and allowing Messi, Griezmann, Coutinho, Fati etc space to operate. Memphis has never been that kind of CF.

Yup, agreed, also i completely forgot Griezmann plays for Barca :lol: , Memphis's reputation is probably at the highest it's been, and all down to the good work he has done at Lyon, but i can see it being quickly tarnished if he makes the move to Barca, i actually think he would fit in better at somewhere like Atletico Madrid tbh,

However, system wise and best suited clubs available, i am not 100% sure where he could go so can't blame him for taking the opportunity, but Barcelona just doesn't seem the smartest of moves, best of luck to him if he does go, he will need it in that circus, like Messi says, the board just keep plugging holes as they go, there doesn't seem to be a well thought out long term plan at that club. (same with United for the last 6-7 years)

Shark

@NotShark
I definitely think Lyon is Memphis' level and if he moves to Barca it'll be a disaster as it was with United.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Yup, agreed, also i completely forgot Griezmann plays for Barca :lol: , Memphis's reputation is probably at the highest it's been, and all down to the good work he has done at Lyon, but i can see it being quickly tarnished if he makes the move to Barca, i actually think he would fit in better at somewhere like Atletico Madrid tbh,

However, system wise and best suited clubs available, i am not 100% sure where he could go so can't blame him for taking the opportunity, but Barcelona just doesn't seem the smartest of moves, best of luck to him if he does go, he will need it in that circus, like Messi says, the board just keep plugging holes as they go, there doesn't seem to be a well thought out long term plan at that club. (same with United for the last 6-7 years)
Yes, exactly. Messi tries to leave, he says the club has no project and direction, they manage to keep him and have one year to make changes that will convince him not to leave next summer....and their answer to his criticism of a lack of a project is to buy Memphis and 29-year-old Wijnaldum? Comical if it happens.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How the feck Barca getting Memphis for 25m euros while we get quoted £50m for dog shit ballers like Longstaff & King.

This united tax bullshit pisses me off

UpWithRivers

How the feck Barca getting Memphis for 25m euros while we get quoted £50m for dog shit ballers like Longstaff & King.

This united tax bullshit pisses me off
He has a year left on his contract and Lyon are more desperate for cash then Newcastle. Its not just Utd tax its Prem tax. Hence we got VDB + Fernandes for less than what Maddison was going for. Chillwell and Wan B go for 50 when Seria A left back of the season and europa league winner Reguilon is going for 30.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Memphis to Barcelona?!

Does he have more than that cut inside thing these days?

GoldanoGraham

Based on Koemans transfer buying ability - look at all the shite he got at Everton - he should never be allowed to buy players.....if he is then he will be gone quicker than the last manager

Rolaholic

One of the better Dutch sources says it's done

25m this summer with an extra 5 after this season.

Can't help but feel like he'll surprise a lot of people in that side

432JuanMata

He might do well for Barca. He wasn’t the best here but was very young and raw so he went a step or 2 down and is the big fish at Lyon. Finally gets the step back up let’s see how he gets on. He posts some awful music videos and crap on social media but seems to work hard in training and coming into his prime he might do better than people expect

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Think koeman has spoken in the past about using griezman up.front... on that basis messi on the right and depay/fati competing for the spot on the left perhaps (can see depay coming off the bench a lot)

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Think koeman has spoken in the past about using griezman up.front... on that basis messi on the right and depay/fati competing for the spot on the left perhaps (can see depay coming off the bench a lot)
Koeman for sure know what he wants from Depay. Depay will probably play at false 9 just like he did for the national team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So that means the dembele move is happening after all.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Available on a free and not yet committed to anyone - should we be making an effort to bring him back? He’s not the same player that was here previously, really stepped up and matured.

izec

He is Barca bound. Someone can still scoop in, but i think this one looks done, wont be a Wijnaldum 2.0

BlahRules

Available on a free and not yet committed to anyone - should we be making an effort to bring him back? He’s not the same player that was here previously, really stepped up and matured.
He changed his position and play to his strengths. If we had LVG for another season Depay would have played behind Rashford and Martial.

When he was with us it was obvious he is not a player that will thrive as an inside forward or a winger.

PoTMS

I'd take him especially if Martial is off. Looks the better player out of the two currently.

mu4c_20le

I don't really see how it could be any different this time around, unless we change the system to play two up front for him.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
There is a lot of competition at Barça, Depay/Dybala/Ronaldo could be amazing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think like Lingard he suits being the bigger player in a lesser side.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The disrespect, hes much better than Lingard :lol:
Never said he wasn’t. They’ve both performed their best football though when at sides that they’re one of the best players at rather than just one of many at a big club/nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.