Memphis Depay (stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
I've probably supported the club for longer than you've been alive but don't let facts get in the way of your nonsense. I just happen to call out things that we are no longer doing as well as other clubs which is why we are where we are. but again, clearly that doesn't worry you.
Do you not get fed up of going around the forum writing posts moaning? What pleasure do you get from it?

Genuine question as it is literally all you post

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I've probably supported the club for longer than you've been alive but don't let facts get in the way of your nonsense. I just happen to call out things that we are no longer doing as well as other clubs which is why we are where we are. but again, clearly that doesn't worry you.
:lol: we’re done here

Stacks

It's widely used as a yardstick to reflect a player's ability, because its elite level competition. It's not rocket science. That's akin to saying we don't play football in Holland, so we should stop buying Eridivisie players.
since when? In 2021 To qualify for world cup + nations league + Euro championships, they played Poland, Wales, Belgium, Norway, Montenegro, Gibraltar, Latvia, Turkey, Czech, North Macedonia, Austria, Ukraine.

Whats Elite about those sides? How many of them have elite players who play for elite clubs?

Enigma_87

You know who
He's moved to a more central position and transitioned into an (average 1 in 2/3 striker). That's not bad for a squad option and to say we'd be getting the same player back is clearly nonsense.

I don't think we'll get him anyway, I just find it tiring that you'll attack the club for anything and everything.
He's getting what? 160k per week? That would be awful for a squad option and we'll be making the same mistakes again. I'd have some promising forward on 50k per week than Depay on astronomical wages...

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not sure we should go there again tbh. Attitude issues were reported that time he was here and he's never been consistent.

However we are fast running out of options. If Ronaldo is to leave we might be left with no option but to take a gamble on him being a bit more mature now.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Do you not get fed up of going around the forum writing posts moaning? What pleasure do you get from it?

Genuine question as it is literally all you post
Expect it isn't. maybe look a bit harder and see how I've praised ETH and, indeed, the club for hiring him rather than Poch. Or maybe where I back players such as Scotty McT when he's blamed here for starting WWII. Or maybe further back when I said not all players have great first seasons (talking about Sancho). Or many other things.

However, as a lifetime supporter. I reserve the right to call out the club when they make a mess of things. I took huge abuse this time last year for saying Ole should have been sacked after we lost in Istanbul. Look where we are now...

But I guess you don't bother with facts.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's not worth a significant fee with his injury record. At a top club, he's a squad at best.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Not sure we should go there again tbh. Attitude issues were reported that time he was here and he's never been consistent.

However we are fast running out of options. If Ronaldo is to leave we might be left with no option but to take a gamble on him being a bit more mature now.
Yeah, I was disappointed by him first time round and was relieved when he left. I’ve never understood the hype around him and I was surprised Barca wanted him in the first place.

Ted Lasso

Can you elaborate on the attitudes issues? I remember nothing of the sort. What I do recall is his tumultuous upbringing but I want to say that was mentioned as a motivation to be a top professional.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
He's not worth a significant fee with his injury record. At a top club, he's a squad at best.
I agree with you, but I don't think he'd cost so much money. Barca would probably ask €30-40m for him, which is good value for money for him IMO. I think he'd be a good addition to Uniteds team on the short term.

Trex

I agree with you, but I don't think he'd cost so much money. Barca would probably ask €30-40m for him, which is good value for money for him IMO. I think he'd be a good addition to Uniteds team on the short term.
I'll take him but for €20m and no more. Not a bad squad option to have.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
That's an insane fee to pay for him. He had a lot of injuries last season and did his ACL the year before.

Good signing for 20m, maybe 25m.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Can you elaborate on the attitudes issues? I remember nothing of the sort. What I do recall is his tumultuous upbringing but I want to say that was mentioned as a motivation to be a top professional.
He was told about his Rolls Royce being too flash and to show a bit of humility I believe, the players thought he was acting a bit billy big bollocks without showing it on the pitch first. Not sure about much else though.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
That's an insane fee to pay for him. He had a lot of injuries last season and did his ACL the year before.

Good signing for 20m, maybe 25m.
Ajax is paying €17m for Brian Brobbey and €31m for Bergwijn who's flopped at Spurs and is second fiddle to Memphis in the NT.

€40m for a striker is nothing these days. Spurs paid €60m for Richarlison, who is not better than Memphis at all. Memphis at 30-40m is very good value for money and at thr lower end of that would be a steal tbh.

I'll take him but for €20m and no more. Not a bad squad option to have.
Again, for 20m you'll get a talented player these days, not a proven one.

I mean look at the Antony topic where some crazy people are suggesting to offer Laird in the deal and expect a totally unknown and unproven defender to take €15-20m off the price. Now that is also outrageous of course, but that makes a €20m valuation of Memphis totally insane.

Memphis is by no means a tier one striker, but lets be honest tier one strikers go for €200m if they have a multi year contract these days. Haaland went for €80m only because he had a release clause.

Memphis is a tier two attacking player, who has matured a lot and is in his prime. He's easily worth €50m in this market. However as with FdJ Barca will be looking to get him off the books. That's why hes probably going to be available for €30-40m. You're not going to find better players for that price, definitely not proven ones.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ajax is paying €17m for Brian Brobbey and €31m for Bergwijn who's flopped at Spurs and is second fiddle to Memphis in the NT.

€40m for a striker is nothing these days. Spurs paid €60m for Richarlison, who is not better than Memphis at all. Memphis at 30-40m is very good value for money and at thr lower end of that would be a steal tbh.
Agreed, it's a steal for Barca.

Trex

No it won't, i know he's great in the national team, but he's 28, injury prone, and he's surplus to requirements at Barcelona so it about €20- 25.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite

Sorry mate, but anything over 15-20m for Memphis is madness. We'd be buying a Barca cast-off who already failed once at the club and hasn't been that great since.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
40m for Depay. Let me know what are you smoking!

Unam333

He was told about his Rolls Royce being too flash and to show a bit of humility I believe, the players thought he was acting a bit billy big bollocks without showing it on the pitch first. Not sure about much else though.
That was Memphis back then. Memphis now is more mature and with the Dutch national squad he is one of the more experienced and mature players. Captain material even.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Again, for 20m you'll get a talented player these days, not a proven one.

I mean look at the Antony topic where some crazy people are suggesting to offer Laird in the deal and expect a totally unknown and unproven defender to take €15-20m off the price. Now that is also outrageous of course, but that makes a €20m valuation of Memphis totally insane.

Memphis is by no means a tier one striker, but lets be honest tier one strikers go for €200m if they have a multi year contract these days. Haaland went for €80m only because he had a release clause.

Memphis is a tier two attacking player, who has matured a lot and is in his prime. He's easily worth €50m in this market. However as with FdJ Barca will be looking to get him off the books. That's why hes probably going to be available for €30-40m. You're not going to find better players for that price, definitely not proven ones.
Bergwijn second fiddle? Which NT have you been watching? He starts every game and scores every game.
I don't really care what Ajax do. Who says those transfers are good value?

You say Bergwijn is a Spurs flop, but Memphis was a United flop at the time we were finishing 4th/5th as well with worse competition than Kane and Son. Bergwijn is also younger with a superior injury record.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
No it won't, i know he's great in the national team, but he's 28, injury prone, and he's surplus to requirements at Barcelona so it about €20- 25.
Sorry mate, but anything over 15-20m for Memphis is madness. We'd be buying a Barca cast-off who already failed once at the club and hasn't been that great since.
40m for Depay. Let me know what are you smoking!
THe only ones smoking are you Manchester United fans. You got €12m for Andreas Pereira, you are apparently asking €20m for Dean Henderson. Two players that have proven absolutely nothing in their life.

You can say all you want about Memphis, but he's proven at the international stage. It;'s not like you're absolutely top class, or you're mediocre/shit. It's not black or white like that. Memphis isn't absolutely top class, as I've already stated. That's why I don't quote him at 100/200m range, which a top class player would be quoted at. He is however an attacking player, which are generally the most expensive player. He is proven on international stage. As said, he's not in the absolute top tier of players, but he is in the tier behind them. He has proven that and then €40m is a steal for a player in his prime.

Compare it to the other fees of players I mentioned, Brobbey, Bergwijn, Richarlison. I haven't mentioned Haller, who isn't half the player Memphis is who was sold for €31+4m. Nunez has all to prove and potentially goes for €100m. Raphinha has not proven anything more than Memphis, on the contrary. Yet he was transferred for €60m and he is not so much younger. Gabriel Jesus is not a better player than Memphis either and went for €50m. Adeyemi went from Salzburg to Dortmund for €40m and has all to prove. There's no guarantee at all he'll have a bigger or even the same carreer as Memphis.

In the grand scheme of this market, with the values played for all the players mentioned above it's ludicrous to suggest Memphis would be worth only €20-25m. Memphis is easily worth €50m in this market. I also don't agree he's injury prone. He's had some really nasty and unlucky injuries in the past few years. Injury prone is something else. Injury prone is like Arjen Robben or Robin van Persie who were struggling with muscle injuries all their carreer. That's not the case with Memphis.

Trex

THe only ones smoking are you Manchester United fans. You got €12m for Andreas Pereira, you are apparently asking €20m for Dean Henderson. Two players that have proven absolutely nothing in their life.

You can say all you want about Memphis, but he's proven at the international stage. It;'s not like you're absolutely top class, or you're mediocre/shit. It's not black or white like that. Memphis isn't absolutely top class, as I've already stated. That's why I don't quote him at 100/200m range, which a top class player would be quoted at. He is however an attacking player, which are generally the most expensive player. He is proven on international stage. As said, he's not in the absolute top tier of players, but he is in the tier behind them. He has proven that and then €40m is a steal for a player in his prime.

Compare it to the other fees of players I mentioned, Brobbey, Bergwijn, Richarlison. I haven't mentioned Haller, who isn't half the player Memphis is who was sold for €31+4m. Nunez has all to prove and potentially goes for €100m. Raphinha has not proven anything more than Memphis, on the contrary. Yet he was transferred for €60m and he is not so much younger. Gabriel Jesus is not a better player than Memphis either and went for €50m. Adeyemi went from Salzburg to Dortmund for €40m and has all to prove. There's no guarantee at all he'll have a bigger or even the same carreer as Memphis.

In the grand scheme of this market, with the values played for all the players mentioned above it's ludicrous to suggest Memphis would be worth only €20-25m. Memphis is easily worth €50m in this market. I also don't agree he's injury prone. He's had some really nasty and unlucky injuries in the past few years. Injury prone is something else. Injury prone is like Arjen Robben or Robin van Persie who were struggling with muscle injuries all their carreer. That's not the case with Memphis.
My lord do you work for Barca?

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite

Mate, you can't just tell people that their opinion is wrong. Saying Memphis is better than this player or that player may make sense in your head but people can make their own minds up. Many United fans have casually followed Memphis' progress since he left us and I'd say the majority would agree that he's a gamble not worth taking at the money being mentioned. Richarlison, Raphinha are both prem proven and Haller and Adeyemi were much more prolific than Memphis last year.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Bergwijn second fiddle? Which NT have you been watching? He starts every game and scores every game.
I don't really care what Ajax do. Who says those transfers are good value?

You say Bergwijn is a Spurs flop, but Memphis was a United flop at the time we were finishing 4th/5th as well with worse competition than Kane and Son. Bergwijn is also younger with a superior injury record.
Memphis has redeemed himself after United flop. Bergwijn still has to prove he can do that. Bergwijn is second fiddle. He can be starting next to Memphis, but Memphis is the star attacker and Bergwijn is playing alongside him. Not even all the time. If Malen is healthy and has match rhytm he can very well be up for that position. Even Weghorst or De Jong could be playing next to Memphis. However Memphis' position is secured. His position is not up for debate. That's what I was getting at. Every player that starts next to him will be lined up as supporting player to Memphis.

I agree with you Ajax didn't get great value for money in both of these transfers. However, also with the other players I've mentioned I think it's quite clear what the market is valueing all these players for. There's no denying that with all these players I mentioned above and the prices they have been quoted for, Memphis is easily worth €50m. Memphis for €20-25m.. if you're still living in 2007 then I could see where you're coming from. But prices keep evolving as I've just demonstrated.

Idxomer

@Daslogisch You posted a lot of nonsense but missed a simple thing which is Memphis has one year left on his contract, even Raheem Sterling who scored over 100 goals in the PL was sold for less than £50m and Mane cost Bayern £32m.

Apart from that even when he did relatively well for Lyon, no one in Europe thought he was worth anything near 50m. There's a reason why he stayed 5 years at Lyon and then went on free for Barca on a 2-year contract.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
My lord do you work for Barca?
feck Barca man. They can go bankrupt for all I care.

I am not even a huge Memphis fan. He annoys me quite a lot in the NT. But that doesn't mean I can't get a realistic view on things.

Trex

Memphis has redeemed himself after United flop. Bergwijn still has to prove he can do that. Bergwijn is second fiddle. He can be starting next to Memphis, but Memphis is the star attacker and Bergwijn is playing alongside him. Not even all the time. If Malen is healthy and has match rhytm he can very well be up for that position. Even Weghorst or De Jong could be playing next to Memphis. However Memphis' position is secured. His position is not up for debate. That's what I was getting at. Every player that starts next to him will be lined up as supporting player to Memphis.

I agree with you Ajax didn't get great value for money in both of these transfers. However, also with the other players I've mentioned I think it's quite clear what the market is valueing all these players for. There's no denying that with all these players I mentioned above and the prices they have been quoted for, Memphis is easily worth €50m. Memphis for €20-25m.. if you're still living in 2007 then I could see where you're coming from. But prices keep evolving as I've just demonstrated.
I know as a dutch fan you rate Memphis, and I rate him enough to think he'll contribute if he comes here, but Barca want him out they have about 6 forwards ahead of him.
In such scenario clubs won't be making big bids as they'll be doing Barca a favour getting him off their wage bill.
We got him for £31m the last time out when we thought he was going to be a world beater, this time around its more for squad depth, rotation option so you don't expect big bids.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
@Daslogisch You posted a lot of nonsense but missed a simple thing which is Memphis has one year left on his contract, even Raheem Sterling who scored over 100 goals in the PL was sold for less than £50m and Mane cost Bayern £32m.

Apart from that even when he did relatively well for Lyon, no one in Europe thought he was worth anything near 50m. There's a reason why he stayed 5 years at Lyon and then went on free for Barca on a 2-year contract.
If he has a one year contract then you have a very good point. Absolutely my bad then. I did not think he would be one a year contract since he just signed last year. However if that's the case then I agree €20-25m is more realistic. I expected him to be on a longer term deal, which was what I based my opinion on.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Memphis "redeemed" himself at fecking Lyon, so then flopping in the EPL isn't relevant.

Bergwijn has been outclassing Memphis in every recent NT game. Weghorst, Malen and De Jong. Good lord :lol:

So let's see, 29y old forward that's bang average at anything except playing as a false 9. Flopped at the club that's supposed to buy him. His best stint outside of the Eredivisie was at Lyon. Lots of injuries in the past season. Did his ACL the year before. 1 year left on his deal at a club desperate to sell ... is easily worth 50 million.

Found Memphis' caf account.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
How long does Memphis have left on his contract? 25m would be ideal. He can come back with a bit more experience behind him and can turn into a top player for us. Loved the guy when he played for us but was very inconsistent. Why not have him in rotation with Martial? He’s the type of player that can play across the front line which would definitely work in terms of fluidity - offers more than Ronaldo if I’m being honest.

Brophs

The One and Only
We’ve already made that mistake once. We’d be fools to repeat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.