Memphis Depay (stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
How long does Memphis have left on his contract? 25m would be ideal. He can come back with a bit more experience behind him and can turn into a top player for us. Loved the guy when he played for us but was very inconsistent. Why not have him in rotation with Martial? He’s the type of player that can play across the front line which would definitely work in terms of fluidity - offers more than Ronaldo if I’m being honest.
It really wouldn't.

He's not worth anything over 10 million.

ti vu

How long does Memphis have left on his contract? 25m would be ideal. He can come back with a bit more experience behind him and can turn into a top player for us. Loved the guy when he played for us but was very inconsistent. Why not have him in rotation with Martial? He’s the type of player that can play across the front line which would definitely work in terms of fluidity - offers more than Ronaldo if I’m being honest.
You must have not followed his career to say such thing. He's in his late 20. Pretty much fulfilled whatever his potential is and he's just a prolific flat track bully. His record against top side is woeful even in Ligue 1. Memphis offers very little outside of final ball too.

Aubameyang looked shot at Arsenal then turned up at Barcelona much better forward than Memphis. Ronaldo as is is the better player ,even if you don't consider top player anymore. So highly unlikely for Memphis to become a top player. May as well play Rashford as CF and pay up whatever Ajax ask for Antony. It would be more likely money well spent and future proof.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
I know as a dutch fan you rate Memphis, and I rate him enough to think he'll contribute if he comes here, but Barca want him out they have about 6 forwards ahead of him.
In such scenario clubs won't be making big bids as they'll be doing Barca a favour getting him off their wage bill.
We got him for £31m the last time out when we thought he was going to be a world beater, this time around its more for squad depth, rotation option so you don't expect big bids.
Already answered before that I am not even a great fan of his. The price where you got him from last time means nothing as times have evolved enormously. You also paid €25m for him, not 31m poudns which would be more like €37m. Spurs just paid 60m euro's for a squad player and Barca as well (Raphinha isn't going to play with Dembele resigning). Prices are just crazy these days.

Memphis "redeemed" himself at fecking Lyon, so then flopping in the EPL isn't relevant.

Bergwijn has been outclassing Memphis in every recent NT game. Weghorst, Malen and De Jong. Good lord :lol:

So let's see, 29y old forward that's bang average at anything except playing as a false 9. Flopped at the club that's supposed to buy him. His best stint outside of the Eredivisie was at Lyon. Lots of injuries in the past season. Did his ACL the year before. 1 year left on his deal at a club desperate to sell ... is easily worth 50 million.

Found Memphis' caf account.
It is a fact that these players are fighting with Bergwijn for a place in the NT next to Memphis - and you know it.Memphis is Holland's #1 attacking player and there's not much discussion about that. The discussion is who will partner him. Of course I rate Bergwijn higher than Weghorst and De Jong, but the fact is that Bergwijn is in a battle with them to partner Memphis and it's not Memphis in battle with those players to partner with Bergwijn.

About the valuation, already mentioned to another poster that I did not realise he's only got 1 year left. That definitely changes things regarding that. Still think at 2/3 years contract 50m would be a normal valuation in this crazy market. Prices simply have skyrocketed yet again. I can't help that. Nevertheless on a one year contract I obviously agree he's not worth that amount and somethign around €25m is more realistic.

Trex

Already answered before that I am not even a great fan of his. The price where you got him from last time means nothing as times have evolved enormously. You also paid €25m for him, not 31m poudns which would be more like €37m. Spurs just paid 60m euro's for a squad player and Barca as well (Raphinha isn't going to play with Dembele resigning). Prices are just crazy these days.

It is a fact that these players are fighting with Bergwijn for a place in the NT next to Memphis - and you know it.Memphis is Holland's #1 attacking player and there's not much discussion about that. The discussion is who will partner him. Of course I rate Bergwijn higher than Weghorst and De Jong, but the fact is that Bergwijn is in a battle with them to partner Memphis and it's not Memphis in battle with those players to partner with Bergwijn.

About the valuation, already mentioned to another poster that I did not realise he's only got 1 year left. That definitely changes things regarding that. Still think at 2/3 years contract 50m would be a normal valuation in this crazy market. Prices simply have skyrocketed yet again. I can't help that. Nevertheless on a one year contract I obviously agree he's not worth that amount and somethign around €25m is more realistic.
Do you consider he has one year on his barca deal

Rolaholic

He was told about his Rolls Royce being too flash and to show a bit of humility I believe, the players thought he was acting a bit billy big bollocks without showing it on the pitch first. Not sure about much else though.
7 years is a long time tbf. He was an inexperienced 21 year old multimillionaire back then.

He's an established 28 year old now with a far better reading/understanding of the game while being a lot more mature. Haven't heard of any character issues surrounding him since he joined Lyon then Barca.

His versatility would be quite useful in Ten Hag's system

Trex

7 years is a long time tbf. He was an inexperienced 21 year old multimillionaire back then.

He's an established 28 year old now with a far better reading/understanding of the game while being a lot more mature. Haven't heard of any character issues surrounding him since he joined Lyon then Barca.

Yes and he has always showed love for the club, I remember his social media posts upon departure.
For all the talk about his attitude Mourinho praised him and even insisted on a buy back clause back then.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
That was Memphis back then. Memphis now is more mature and with the Dutch national squad he is one of the more experienced and mature players. Captain material even.

I was answering the question asked guys, it’s not my opinion of him. Surprised it was only 7 years ago though, feels like a lifetime!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Yes and he has always showed love for the club, I remember his social media posts upon departure.
For all the talk about his attitude Mourinho praised him and even insisted on a buy back clause back then.
Everything that is publicly out there points to him being a top professional. He just has poor taste and dabbles in weird hobbies. People often confuse the two.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
These lads clinging on to their Barcelona dream after the club has treated them like muck and told them to leave is really sad.

I can’t imagine working somewhere where everyone around me (including other players owed money and new signings that aren’t registered) wants me to clear off.

No matter what the levels of cash are, surely everyone wants to be somewhere they are wanted?

kitress

Didn't Barca sign him on a free? Why would we pay them anything when they're so desperately trying to get him off their wage bill?

Trex

These lads clinging on to their Barcelona dream after the club has treated them like muck and told them to leave is really sad.

I can’t imagine working somewhere where everyone around me (including other players owed money and new signings that aren’t registered) wants me to clear off.

No matter what the levels of cash are, surely everyone wants to be somewhere they are wanted?
The beach and sunshine.

caid

Dont see the point. I think he'd wind up back as 3rd choice behind Rashford and Martial. If he overtakes either it'll be more to do with them giving up and not giving a feck than him being good. Lyon is probably his level really.

Idxomer

Is he versatile though? He can play the false nine/support striker position but nothing else at a decent level.

Ted Lasso

He was told about his Rolls Royce being too flash and to show a bit of humility I believe, the players thought he was acting a bit billy big bollocks without showing it on the pitch first. Not sure about much else though.
Hmm. That's not that bad. Didn't one of one of our academy players do something similar on loan? Show up in a very expensive car to a championship club or something like that.

With Depay, I got the impression he has been pretty humbled - he took a big step down to Lyon and worked his socks off earning the Barca move. I think that's a good sign

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
THe only ones smoking are you Manchester United fans. You got €12m for Andreas Pereira, you are apparently asking €20m for Dean Henderson. Two players that have proven absolutely nothing in their life.

You can say all you want about Memphis, but he's proven at the international stage. It;'s not like you're absolutely top class, or you're mediocre/shit. It's not black or white like that. Memphis isn't absolutely top class, as I've already stated. That's why I don't quote him at 100/200m range, which a top class player would be quoted at. He is however an attacking player, which are generally the most expensive player. He is proven on international stage. As said, he's not in the absolute top tier of players, but he is in the tier behind them. He has proven that and then €40m is a steal for a player in his prime.

Compare it to the other fees of players I mentioned, Brobbey, Bergwijn, Richarlison. I haven't mentioned Haller, who isn't half the player Memphis is who was sold for €31+4m. Nunez has all to prove and potentially goes for €100m. Raphinha has not proven anything more than Memphis, on the contrary. Yet he was transferred for €60m and he is not so much younger. Gabriel Jesus is not a better player than Memphis either and went for €50m. Adeyemi went from Salzburg to Dortmund for €40m and has all to prove. There's no guarantee at all he'll have a bigger or even the same carreer as Memphis.

In the grand scheme of this market, with the values played for all the players mentioned above it's ludicrous to suggest Memphis would be worth only €20-25m. Memphis is easily worth €50m in this market. I also don't agree he's injury prone. He's had some really nasty and unlucky injuries in the past few years. Injury prone is something else. Injury prone is like Arjen Robben or Robin van Persie who were struggling with muscle injuries all their carreer. That's not the case with Memphis.
:confused:All to justify the 40m tag for Depay. Man , I have seen everything now.

lex talionis

Would Memphis be agreeable to being a cog in ETH’s system or would he feel the need to be the go to guy?

crackers0seven

Loan with option to buy. Something like 3 or 4 million loan fee and then if we fancy after the season 10ish million transfer fee. I'd chance that considering the Ronnie situation. Other than that,no.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

You know as well as I do Bergwijn has outperformed Memphis under LVG every step of the way. Memphis is #1 based on status.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
I would get him for 20 mil 100%. Squad needs depth. He has better stats than Ferran which I consider a flop for 55mil and IF Ronaldo leaves you cant just only have Martial for the entire year.
I cant stand the guy btw.

CH23

With Depay, I got the impression he has been pretty humbled - he took a big step down to Lyon and worked his socks off earning the Barca move. I think that's a good sign
He is not humble at all. Besides being a footballer he is also an artist, rapper etcetera. The world is supposedly against him and he can’t stand critics. His goal celebrations by puttings his fingers in his ears are a way to say that he wouldn’t listen to any of those who criticize him. Even for free i would not want him anywhere near Old Trafford.

Welbeckham

One of the most overhyped players in world football. Technically he’s ok, but he is too slow for PL both physically and mentally. He is not a winner either, he loses his confidence often and becomes desperate.

Getting rid of him and even getting some good money in return is one of the best things that has happened to this club in the last nine years.

Canagel

I'm not sure he is "more than good enough to start" here, that seems a strange comment for something that isn't especially obvious. As we stand we still have Ronaldo, so that's him not starting in his best position. He's never keeping Sancho out and it's very debatable he's a better option than Martial or Rashford on the left. He's in competition with them, not outright better.

Only makes sense if Ronaldo goes, but if that happens and Depay is our idea of a replacement we're in a world of trouble.
Ronaldo is on strike with no return date scheduled, I don't consider him as part of the squad.

I never said he would be a guaranteed starter. I simply said he is more than good enough to start which is true as the forwards we have are not significantly better players than him which you yourself are acknowledging. If there would be competition all of them are good enough to start and its up to who is in the better form to cement his place down.

Moreover we only have three recognized first team attackers, want to play what looks like a fluid front line and are entering a 5 sub season so just by virtue of numbers he would start at least 15-20 games with ease. It's not like there would be 5 or 6 players in competition with him like he has currently.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
I feel bad for him after he came here for free. But I would feel worse if I saw him in the beach every game. United could find him useful but I'm not sure either of the parts want to work together after the past bad experience.

Abraxas

Ronaldo is on strike with no return date scheduled, I don't consider him as part of the squad.

I never said he would be a guaranteed starter. I simply said he is more than good enough to start which is true as the forwards we have are not significantly better players than him which you yourself are acknowledging. If there would be competition all of them are good enough to start and its up to who is in the better form to cement his place down.

Moreover we only have three recognized first team attackers, want to play what looks like a fluid front line and are entering a 5 sub season so just by virtue of numbers he would start at least 15-20 games with ease. It's not like there would be 5 or 6 players in competition with him like he has currently.
For now he's part of the squad. If there isn't a suitable offer he'll be staying. There are very few clubs that can take Ronaldo so the options are dwindling and he will probably end up swallowing his pride. I'd consider him closer to being part of our squad than not.

There's no point in buying people as a body, the manager has made this point himself. They have to be good enough and Depay adding "depth" to people like Rashford and Martial who already have it all to prove isn't a great idea. It just adds another unpredictable element into our squad that we have no idea what we'll get. We'd be better blowing substantial money on Antony or signing someone else entirely who might be good rather than one that's already failed here.

Trex

But not a decent level and definitely not in the PL.
If we sign him it will be majorly to back up Martial for the center forward role, he's better than the other names we've been linked to before now.

OmarUnited4ever

He is definitely right now, a surplus to requirements at Barca, after the arrival of Raphinha & Lewa.

I'm not sure he is good enough to be part of a new era under Ten Hag.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He would be okay as an impact sub or a starter against the minnows. Memphis is one of the best flat track bullies in world football. Just don't pit him against good opposition. Or ask him to do one of his songs.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He is not humble at all. Besides being a footballer he is also an artist, rapper etcetera. The world is supposedly against him and he can’t stand critics. His goal celebrations by puttings his fingers in his ears are a way to say that he wouldn’t listen to any of those who criticize him. Even for free i would not want him anywhere near Old Trafford.
He does get a lot of hate here in Holland, mostly because he's black and has a big mouth. You saw it with Wijnaldum too, but only after he spoke out on racial issues. Before that he was well liked.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He does get a lot of hate here in Holland, mostly because he's black and has a big mouth. You saw it with Wijnaldum too, but only after he spoke out on racial issues. Before that he was well liked.
This is not true honestly. He gets flak for the way he acts. I'm sure racists dislike him for being black, but that's not at all why there is a rather large amount of dislike for the guy. He cultivates the tough guy, me against the world, feck all the haters persona. That's just irksome to some. Some people are just polarising, like Zlatan, C. Ronaldo and Memphis.

I don't mind Memphis at all to be honest. He's an insecure kid who deflects this by acting tough and he's a brilliant to watch player when he's up for it. That's why I worked him into a realistic list with Zlatan and C. Ronaldo. You're welcome Memphis.

Wijnaldum is a different story, the hate he got was definitely racist.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
This is not true honestly. He gets flak for the way he acts. I'm sure racists dislike him for being black, but that's not at all why there is a rather large amount of dislike for the guy. He cultivates the tough guy, me against the world, feck all the haters persona. That's just irksome to some. Some people are just polarising, like Zlatan, C. Ronaldo and Memphis.

I don't mind Memphis at all to be honest. He's an insecure kid who deflects this by acting tough and he's a brilliant to watch player when he's up for it. That's why I worked him into a realistic list with Zlatan and C. Ronaldo. You're welcome Memphis.

Wijnaldum is a different story, the hate he got was definitely racist.
Zlatan is well liked by the general public in Holland. You should know this as a Feyenoord fan.

It's the attitude coupled with being black that gets on people's nerves.
I've personally found the average Dutchman's hatred for Memphis to strongly correlate with racist views. People like you and me think he's an idiot, but don't get roused up by his attitude.

If Memphis was white, he'd be considered a badass, like Zlatan.

Name me a black and opiniated person in Holland that is not deeply disliked. Even Gullit gets a lot of shit nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.