Men’s Olympics Football | Japan 2021…

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
All scheduled to start on Thursday, although up until today there is still talk of this shit show of a competition being cancelled altogether.

Some reasonably strong squads have been sent though, and the football itself should be quite watchable. It’s an annoying inconvenience of a tournament anyway and I frankly just want our boys home as soon as possible. Spain have got a few players from the Euros in their squad which I think is ridiculous as it is, a player shouldn’t be playing two international tournaments in one summer.

Anyway, I fancy the Spanish with their squad which includes the likes of Torres, Olmo, Gil, Ceballos and others.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A European side haven’t won it since 1992. I expect Brazil to win it.

Though France may have an easier run in. If they get out of their group consisting of Japan, Mexico and South Africa. They’ll draw one of South Korea, New Zealand, Romania or Honduras

diarm

Are Amad and Bailly the only two United players featuring?

KeanoMagicHat

Spain should win this, by far the strongest squad.

Outside of Spain, a lot of the squads are depleted and weak relative to other Olympics.

But it’s been a long summer for Spain so might give the others a chance.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Amazed at the amount of players who featured in europe or Copa America who've been called up for this. Probably not a surprise with Brazil but amazed looking at Spanish squad.

Mikel Oryazabal must be one of most played forwards in last 12 months as he pretty much always starts for Real Sociedad, featured regularly for Spain and now in olympic squad.

Unai Simon, Pau Torres, Eric Garcia, Pedri and Dani Olmo also in euros squad and all but Garcia regular starters aswell.

La Liga actually starts on August 14th so next to no break for those guys.

Would make Spain favourites ahead of Brazil, will probably meet up in final if draw allows.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Pisses me off that Richy has gone to this after a long Copa tournament.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Spain vs Egypt about to start.

Spain have by far the best team at the Olympics imo.

edit: Amad and Bailly start for Ivory Coast

Last edited:

izec

Amazed at the amount of players who featured in europe or Copa America who've been called up for this. Probably not a surprise with Brazil but amazed looking at Spanish squad.

Mikel Oryazabal must be one of most played forwards in last 12 months as he pretty much always starts for Real Sociedad, featured regularly for Spain and now in olympic squad.

Unai Simon, Pau Torres, Eric Garcia, Pedri and Dani Olmo also in euros squad and all but Garcia regular starters aswell.

La Liga actually starts on August 14th so next to no break for those guys.

Would make Spain favourites ahead of Brazil, will probably meet up in final if draw allows.
There should be a rule where you can only participate in one tournament in the summer. Find that ridiculous to be honest that some guys are playing this after the Euros/Copa.

diarm

Eric Bailly is supposed to be the calming, older influence on this side and he's given the ball away on the edge of his box 3 times now in the opening 18 minutes.

lysglimt

Scout
Saudi Arabia actually play some decent football - by far the better side against Ivory Coast

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Eric Bailly is supposed to be the calming, older influence on this side and he's given the ball away on the edge of his box 3 times now in the opening 18 minutes.
If Eric Bailly is in the squad to be a ‘calming influence’ then heads must roll in the Ivorian federation.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’ve only got it on my phone half-watching whilst doing work, but Saudi Arabia look the better side so far

diarm

If Eric Bailly is in the squad to be a ‘calming influence’ then heads must roll in the Ivorian federation.
I had the exact same thought as I was typing it!

In more positive news, he has made it 30 minutes without needing the physio on.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I expected Amad to be a one on one dribbling menace — he is good at that, don’t get me wrong — but the thing that stands out is his pin-point weight of pass. That was excellent on that counter.

Paul_Scholes18

Why is Spain having such a strong squad? In Spains team I know every player. The other teams and I have 0 clues about 80% of the squads.

diarm

Great goal to equalise for the Saudis.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I expected Amad to be a one on one dribbling menace — he is good at that, don’t get me wrong — but the thing that stands out is his pin-point weight of pass. That was excellent on that counter.
I'd say from his time at United his weight of pass + vision is his best attribute.

He will make a great wide playmaker more than a dribbler IMO.

Paul_Scholes18

Insane that 6 of their starters today were regulars in the Euros.
Yeah it is an under 23 squad right so they pretty much got the strongest squad possible apart from maybe the wrong overage players.

I also wonder why Asensio was not in the Spain A team.

diarm

Surprised nobody said anything about a red card for the Mexican defender there? Surely he was last man?

NYAS

Are they still pulling the old trick of paying foreign lads a load of cash to come over and change their names so they sound Arabic?
You got any examples big boy?

Nothing like a bit of good old racism to start the morning.

Hamzah

Are they still pulling the old trick of paying foreign lads a load of cash to come over and change their names so they sound Arabic?
I think you’re referring to the Qatari’s. The Saudi’s don’t do that at all actually.

NYAS

How is that racist?
1. He’s most likely confusing Saudi with Qatar, who have done what he’s said in the past, simply because they’re both Arab countries with money. It’s like going to a Japanese restaurant and asking for Chinese food.

2- It implies that Saudis can’t play well or score a “great goal” without it having been the result of “a bunch of foreign lads” playing.

I’m not interested in derailing the thread though, I’m just going to call it out when I see it.