Men’s Olympics Football | Japan 2021…

SirAnderson

Penalty for Brazil. Very harsh that, should be overturned in my opinion.
Not even looked at. Not sure how that defender could predict the Brazil player would header the ball onto his arm.

EDIT: Justice served, pen saved!

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Penalty for Brazil. Very harsh that, should be overturned in my opinion.
Not even looked at. Not sure how that defender could predict the Brazil player would header the ball onto his arm.

EDIT: Justice served, pen saved!
Theres no VAR at the Olympics, right?

Germany completely outclassed so far, was to be expected. Really shameful how many players weren´t allowed to be called up.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I think Richarlison might be the best right now, but Pedri and Kessie have the highest ceiling.
Both could be stars for years to come.

Still I guess Pedri will be compared to Xavi so hard shoes to deal with, but he did well in the Euros.
Happy for him to get a hattrick vs an awful Germany but don't think he's that good, average premier league forward.

Paul_Scholes18

Happy for him to get a hattrick vs an awful Germany but don't think he's that good, average premier league forward.
Last year was not great, but he has been very good before that. A high quality player I think. A bit like Depay/Martial I think. Maybe not at the very highest elite level, but great under it.
We hoped we would get a world star with them, but they are not at the very highest elite level so I would not buy Richarlison right now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Stefan Kuntz (the coach) said they created a list of 100 players to try to nominate at the beginning of the year and in the end he got 18, not even a full squad. They probably should not get beaten this heavily, but this lineup is basically pure disrespect to the tournament.
Looking at the side, Arnold sticks out a bit. Isn't he good enough to be an outside shout for the main team?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ivory Coast will beat these Germans, which is a bit of a disappointment as I selfishly wanted our players to come home after the group stage.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Looking at the side, Arnold sticks out a bit. Isn't he good enough to be an outside shout for the main team?
He would not have been out of place there and he complained a bit to the press about being overlooked, but the competition is pretty strong on his position, so it was reasonable to leave him at home for the EC.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Last year was not great, but he has been very good before that. A high quality player I think. A bit like Depay/Martial I think. Maybe not at the very highest elite level, but great under it.
We hoped we would get a world star with them, but they are not at the very highest elite level so I would not buy Richarlison right now.
I think Depay and Martial have shown much higher ceilings but they are every bit as inconsistent. He's a valuabke PL forward though, but the 100m shouts were just absurd.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Stefan Kuntz (the coach) said they created a list of 100 players to try to nominate at the beginning of the year and in the end he got 18, not even a full squad. They probably should not get beaten this heavily, but this lineup is basically pure disrespect to the tournament.
I mean Havertz, Wirtz and maybe Musiala aside, which other u23 players could've gotten into the team? A lot of so called young talents are beyond 23 now. We just have an average youth set up at the moment.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I mean Havertz, Wirtz and maybe Musiala aside, which other u23 players could've gotten into the team? A lot of so called young talents are beyond 23 now. We just have an average youth set up at the moment.
Neuhaus, Musiala, Baku, Moukoko, Nmecha for example. There are also better "senior" players than Amiri or Kruse. E.g. Boateng, Reus or Dahoud didn't make the EC, heck, Brazil and Spain are even bringing players, who played with the first team this summer. Their clubs must love that.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
I mean Havertz and Wirtz aside, which other u23 players could've gotten into the team? A lot of so called young talents are beyond 23 now. We just have an average youth set up at the moment.
Germany has been pretty succesful with those subpar teams lately though...

U21 Euro 2015 semi-finalists
Olympics 2016 finalists
Confed Cup 2017 winners
U21 Euro 2017 winners
U21 Euro 2019 finalists
U21 Euro 2021 winners

They were always overachieving with those average squads. This feels like the time they finally get shown up but you never know...maybe they scrape through to the next round and then manage to surprise us again.

mu4c_20le

Arrey-Mbi? Is there a reason why there's zero players from Bayern? It looks like a computer simulation just randomly picked the squad.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Antony has looked sensational today. Real potential he has.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Max Arnold sent off.

Kruse getting angry. :lol:

That's the experienced german players guiding the young 'uns....

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Brazil really lucky with that sending off. A 7-3 was on the cards.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Does Malcolm still play in Russia, just come on for Brazil.

Mass hype about him 2-3 years ago.

flappyjay

Obviously the clubs have a say in this but this would have been a strong squad.