MEN: Carrick and McKenna next in line for contract extensions

largelyworried

So according to your "logic" he's been underperforming this whole time cos he was hamstrung by an inadequate contract and will now suddenly come good cos that's been sorted? Awllllllrightythen....
What a ridiculous strawman.

Last edited:

julianfr

What a ridiculous strawman.
Is it though?

You said he should be given the best possible chance to succeed. Since he's been here that's all the board have done: backed him and his crew. From day one. So why should a new contract suddenly become the catalyst?

Ole's tenure will ultimately go down as a failure. Whether he gets the sack next month or next year is just academic. He has failed to deliver.

Skills

Snitch
Didn't Meulensteens increasing influenxe coincide with the deteriorating quality of football at the end of Fergies tenure?

Rajma

It’s scary. This club is still living in the past it seems trying to bring back the ghost of Fergie.

Revan

Assumptionman
Didn't Meulensteens increasing influenxe coincide with the deteriorating quality of football at the end of Fergies tenure?
I think that the deteriorating quality of football had more to do with the quality of players being lower than before. I think René was highly rated though probably not as much as his predecessor (Queiroz).

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
We would be daft not to be considering this at this point.
Would we? Isn't it time we moved away from this old boys club? Rene like every other of SAF underlings have all failed miserably once they parted ways with the great man which is a pretty good indicator on what is the common denominator. How about getting someone in that lives in the 21st century for a change since it's the only thing we haven't tried at a higher level?

MUFC OK

Would we? Isn't it time we moved away from this old boys club? Rene like every other of SAF underlings have all failed miserably once they parted ways with the great man which is a pretty good indicator on what is the common denominator. How about getting someone in that lives in the 21st century for a change since it's the only thing we haven't tried at a higher level?
We have McKenna and carrick, until I see us linked with other coaches I’d sooner take Rene. Just like our transfer policy for the first team though we have no ability to think outside the box and identify anyone other than whoever is staring us in the face/was previously successful here.

edit: admittedly we have done supposedly good work in identifying little known players for the academy.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
We have McKenna and carrick, until I see us linked with other coaches I’d sooner take Rene. Just like our transfer policy for the first team though we have no ability to think outside the box and identify anyone other than whoever is staring us in the face/was previously successful here.

edit: admittedly we have done supposedly good work in identifying little known players for the academy.
I do agree that we have no ability to think outside the box but I can't see the point in further bloating our coaching staff with yet another SAF accolade. If we need to hire a coach because the other coaches aren't good enough then why are they still at the club? This blueprint needs to be ripped up. Instead of having 10 people doing a half arsed job any other, "top club" would bring in 5 who actually knew what they were doing. Unfortunately that seems beyond us for some reason.

MUFC OK

I do agree that we have no ability to think outside the box but I can't see the point in further bloating our coaching staff with yet another SAF accolade. If we need to hire a coach because the other coaches aren't good enough then why are they still at the club? This blueprint needs to be ripped up. Instead of having 10 people doing a half arsed job any other, "top club" would bring in 5 who actually knew what they were doing. Unfortunately that seems beyond us for some reason.
In answer to your Q, they shoudn't be. There is however no way that they leave whilst Ole is here.

My big worry is that we waste the squad we've got with a managerial/coaching set up that is substantially below par. When the playing personnel improves, so should expectations. This season has to be a sustained title challenge and latter stages of the CL. Failing that Ole, Carrick, Phelan and McKenna should be shown the door.

JoaquinJoaquin

So those reports last year of players being unhappy with training seem to be true after all

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Here we go again. You can see something isn't quite right but whoever leaks this stuff is a cnut.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I think that the deteriorating quality of football had more to do with the quality of players being lower than before. I think René was highly rated though probably not as much as his predecessor (Queiroz).
Rene didn't replace Queiroz. Rene was promoted to first team coach in 2007 when Carlos was still at the club. Phelan replaced Queiroz as assistant in 2008.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Here we go again. You can see something isn't quite right but whoever leaks this stuff is a cnut.
I think post Fergie the balance tipped way too far over into what the players like and Ole is trying to get the hunger back and the balance right. The money has gone way up and the success has gone down. Obviously the training is very important but it’s not like we have to develop most of these huge stars that we’ve been buying either. Basically it’s just players looking for an excuse as to why we still aren’t winning and shifting the blame from themselves onto someone else. What we really need is for the players to take ownership and leave it all on the pitch. I don’t think that’s a training issue more a recruitment issue. I think these leaks are a recruitment issue too. A real winner would take complaints and concerns to the manager or the coaches themselves instead of feeding disruptive quotes to the media.

Last edited:

Davie Moyes

From what I recall Rene was very good training wise. He started off at Utd as a skills coach. RVP was certainly complimentary about him I'm sure.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rene was an excellent coach. However he's been out of the major leagues since 2013. Football had evolved a bit since then.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Not surprising but won't minimize the damage this will do when we inevitay have to sack them. We are trying very hard to show that the management is not panicking and it's supportive of the current set up but the challenge is that all these decisions could be overtaken by events and we could find ourselves in a situation where we have to sack Ole and his team but having made it more expensive to do it with these extensions.
I imagine they all have top four clauses in their contracts. I doubt they will be sacked unless they miss top four. Jose basically had to sabotage his own team selections to achieve that.

Rene was treated poorly by the club when Fergie left. Still mind blowing that Moyes was allowed to destroy our world class coaching set up.

If Rene is available and wants to return then the club should make it happen asap.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It’s scary. This club is still living in the past it seems trying to bring back the ghost of Fergie.
Like I said previously, it’s watching a Fergie years tribute act - like watching Noasis at Manchester Academy

wolvored

If it gets into the press something may be done and the club cant sweep it under the rug. Its out there. Without a leak they can just say everythings great its all going to plan etc etc like they have so far.

wolvored

I just hope whoever is the next manager isnt hampered by the board insisting some if not all the backroom staff have to be kept on. That wouldnt surprise me in the slightest

FatTails

This would be great

Mixed feelings. He was great here, but really underwhelming resume post-United. Hope and nostalgia aside, it’s hard to see how his past 8 years can fill anyone with confidence that he can be our saviour, but who knows.

Last edited:

Womp

idiot
Mixed feelings. He was great here, but really underwhelming résumé post-United. Hope and nostalgia aside, it’s hard to see how his past 8 years can fill anyone with confidence that he can be our saviour, but who knows.
That's really all this club has to rely on nowadays tbf - hope.

Dr. StrangeHate

I hope these two got their contract extended; otherwise good chance we lose them to Newcastle and Madrid Manager posts next year.

L1nk

The fact the club could look at this crap and actually extend the contracts of coaches, firmly head in sand stuff.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd hope we've held back on this now.

Luke1995

One of them will probably get the job after Ole...and the one who is not chosen, will be the main assistant...I fear the board.