MEN: Cristiano Ronaldo holding the Manchester United dressing room together as players question Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

JB7

I'd posted on my Instagram story a post when he was about to sign for City.

It's went along the lines of this.

Ronaldo is only signing for City because no other club could financially offer him what he needs and is needing a striker at this time. He might sign for City but they need to remember, we had the best of him, they are welcome to the worst of him. Refusing to be subbed, has to play every week.

I had to delete it pretty quick once it looked like he was signing for us and I have since been swept up in the Ronaldo fanfare.

Reality is my original statement is now looking correct and my Spurs supporting mate reminded me of it only last week.
Which game exactly would you have taken him off in so far?

Deery

Dreary
Michel Platini has 3. How long would you allow him to settle in the Premier League before you wonder if maybe his best days have gone?
Well if Michel Platini scored 29 league goals last season I’d give him a chance regardless of what age he is.

RepardReece

Ronaldo is only signing for City because no other club could financially offer him what he needs and is needing a striker at this time. He might sign for City but they need to remember, we had the best of him, they are welcome to the worst of him. Refusing to be subbed, has to play every week.

I had to delete it pretty quick once it looked like he was signing for us and I have since been swept up in the Ronaldo fanfare.

Reality is my original statement is now looking correct and my Spurs supporting mate reminded me of it only last week.
I mean if the worst of him is grabbing us an additional 4 points (draws into wins) in the champions league in the dying embers of both games, then I'm pretty happy with that.

Devil81

Which game exactly would you have taken him off in so far?
Defo would have taken him off against Liverpool, why keep him on.

Villa he was completely out of the game.

Sometimes we need to be realistic, he needs a rest.

I mean if the worst of him is grabbing us an additional 4 points (draws into wins) in the champions league in the dying embers of both games, then I'm pretty happy with that.
He's made for moments like that to be fair, let's hope a new management can get us to a final that he can influence like that.

Rex Banner

The amount of PR spin that comes out of this club is embarrassing. Sick to death of it.

JB7

He was the only player still going second half against Liverpool, didn't exactly look in need or a rest and we didn't have a midweek game.

We had to make two subs in the back 4 in the first hour of the Villa game. The third sub was a striker for a midfielder at 0-0. I take the point about him being out of the game but we could have said that in the Villareal and Atalanta games and then he pops up with the winner.

Devil81

He was the only player still going second half against Liverpool, didn't exactly look in need or a rest and we didn't have a midweek game.

We had to make two subs in the back 4 in the first hour of the Villa game. The third sub was a striker for a midfielder at 0-0. I take the point about him being out of the game but we could have said that in the Villareal and Atalanta games and then he pops up with the winner.
He's 36 and the game was lost.

If that's not a game where he should come off then what game is.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
But the problem isn’t Ronaldo. It’s us all. Club, fans, supporters; American Caf Plastics. Ole too. All of us thought that once Ronnie showed up it was all done and dusted. Even Pep bought in. Then the awful truth. We still have to run, to press, to tackle, to scramble. The league is still competitive. Ronaldo coming made us feel we had won something - when in fact we had just heard the starting gun

sparx99

He's made for moments like that to be fair, let's hope a new management can get us to a final that he can influence like that.
He was left out against Everton. So not like Ole hasn’t been happy to leave him out.

lilcurt

But the problem isn’t Ronaldo. It’s us all. Club, fans, supporters; American Caf Plastics. Ole too. All of us thought that once Ronnie showed up it was all done and dusted. Even Pep bought in. Then the awful truth. We still have to run, to press, to tackle, to scramble. The league is still competitive. Ronaldo coming made us feel we had won something - when in fact we had just heard the starting gun
Ronnie coming reignited the fanbase to think like United and demand success. That is exactly how a club of our stature should thing and how our peers think. We had just been conditioned over the past few years to 'trust the process' which is just a stalling tactic to qualify lack of success as OK.

With the spend this summer we have to be competing. Ole himself spoke about being in the title race come April... We're out of that and a cup in October. Simply not good enough and should be gone!

reelworld

I mean I was happy when he came too but the way he can't even rotate with Cavani like we did against Everton just shows how much of an egotistical player he is.

That Everton game showed everything for me. The mistake was from Fred- but ultimately we had complete control of the football vs Everton whilst Cavani was on the pitch; we were literally playing tiki taka possesion football because Everton were doing nothing vs us.

On comes Ronaldo and we loose all our control our team had and then Everton grab their control and Fred makes a mistake - bang, a goal.

He is just a poacher now and we got to know when to use him but he is too big, it's seen with how the fans talk about him and protect him.

He is more important than every other player in our squad, because ultimately they have started to blame everyone else except Ronaldo himself.
:lol:
Unless Ronaldo subs himself in then it's not his fault at all.
Any good manager with balls can rotate and make Ronaldo understand why he should sit some matches. But unfortunately, Ole isn't one

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
:lol:
Unless Ronaldo subs himself in then it's not his fault at all.
Any good manager with balls can rotate and make Ronaldo understand why he should sit some matches. But unfortunately, Ole isn't one
What happens in that match?

Ronaldo's beautiful frown like it was never anything his fault and he should never be benched.

Even SAF " play your best players" straight after that match - when Ronaldo has only scored more than one goal in one bloody game this season :drool: but hey ho - play the best player who is after all 36 years old.

Man City don't have a 36 year old forward.
Neither does Chelsea.
Neither does Liverpool.

We have the oldest forward and I'd be happy if he was part of our SQUAD- but to be part of our starting 11 every bloody game for a fully 90 mins :drool: no thank you.

Strelok

Ronaldo's beautiful frown like it was never anything his fault and he should never be benched.

Even SAF " play your best players" straight after that match - when Ronaldo has only scored more than one goal in one bloody game this season :drool: but hey ho - play the best player who is after all 36 years old.

Neither does Chelsea.
Neither does Liverpool.

We have the oldest forward and I'd be happy if he was part of our SQUAD- but to be part of our starting 11 every bloody game for a fully 90 mins :drool: no thank you.
I've just realized you're probably one of his biggest fiercest fans around here via the Messi vs Ronaldo thread :eek: And you're also probably the most outstanding voice in saying the truth about him here.

Really glad that your judgement has not been clouded by the fanfare and it's bloody obvious that you love the club much more than Ronaldo. My hat off to you mate.

Dan-Utd

Cristiano is bound to be spoilt and throw the odd tantrum, he's used to competing for trophies,

We've got Olly saying "we've come to far" well a 0 - 5 loss and the crap performance from the majority of our players the other day tells me that the players are probably not fully behind him.

Yes Ronaldo is older but he still has that prowess around the goal and gets into spaces to score tap ins and a lot of them, we've lacked this.

I would also imagine he looked at our squad on paper with Varane, Sancho and himself added and thought - decent chance of a trophy but poor management and poor team mate choices has seen that slipping away.

Deery

Dreary

Neither does Chelsea.
Neither does Liverpool.

And it’s funny Ronaldo is neck and neck with them on goals scored how to you explain that one? After playing less games?

Your criticism of Ronaldo is he doesn’t score more than 2 a game do you realise how stupid you sound?

You mock me for thinking I have more knowledge that Peter Crouch but you think you have better knowledge than Sir Alex Ferguson?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
And it’s funny Ronaldo is neck and neck with them on goals scored how to you explain that one? After playing less games?

Your criticism of Ronaldo is he doesn’t score more than 2 a game do you realise how stupid you sound?

You mock me for thinking I have more knowledge that Peter Crouch but you think you have better knowledge than Sir Alex Ferguson?
Completely, don't let the facts get in the way of their rehearsed narrative.
Surely a better take is how well he's done to score 6 in such a totally misfiring team, and the sheer promise of what he'll do when we get a new coach and some tactical acumen.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Ronaldo needed alot of TLC even in his prime. SAF built an entire squad around him with Park as LW and two work horses upfront. When Tevez was replaced with Berbatov the team struggled because there wasn't enough work rate to sustain them both.

Prior to signing him, we already had Jadon, Rashford, Martial, Pogba, VDB, Cavani, Greenwood and Jesse who produce nowhere near to the workrate a Rooney, a Park or a Tevez would. Meanwhile Bruno was becoming more of a striker by focusing more on his goals/assists then on his workrate. We knew what we're getting and we still gave it our thumbs up.

United's biggest problem is not lack of tactics or coaching. That's something the right people can come in and sort whether its experienced coaches or a manager who knows tactics. Our biggest problem is that Ole had built a severely unbalanced side filled with prima donnas who simply refuse to be benched. Coupled to Manchester United's inability to sell players and its the perfect storm. All those involved in transfers should shoulder responsibility for that. No wonder why they are shitting in their pants at the thought of bringing Conte in. The guy would expose them as the frauds that they are and will expect them to sort their own mess.

Bebestation

I've just realized you're probably one of his biggest fiercest fans around here via the Messi vs Ronaldo thread :eek: And you're also probably the most outstanding voice in saying the truth about him here.

Really glad that your judgement has not been clouded by the fanfare and it's bloody obvious that you love the club much more than Ronaldo. My hat off to you mate.
I love Ronaldo, he is my Goat.

I think he is over performing Messi at the age of 36 to whatever age Messi is in an easier league at a lower age! :drool:

However, that doesn't change the fact that Ronaldo IS 36! Ultimately I support United and I can see the positives that Ronaldo's able to bring to our team; like his ability to score a quick last minute scrappy poachers goal - but I can also see the negatives.

People want to build the team towards a 36 year olds bests assests and forget about Greenwood and Rashford and hell even Bruno Fernandes who was called our 2nd coming of Eric Cantona not so long ago. Have you seen how much hate he has received all of a sudden due to this all central approach about getting the best out of Ronaldo?

Like Ronaldo in his prime I get it. Ronaldo that even left Real Madrid I get it. But thjs is now the Ronaldo that has left Juventus after 3 years and is a different calibre of player- not me but many people don't view him as a top 5 to top 10 player in the world anymore.

He is just a poacher and what he is able to do in 90 mins is very limited now. Very minimal link up play, minimal passing, his dribbling isn't great, his pace and acceleration isn't there like it used to be, his positioning as a central striker is wrong because he plays as an angle due to his history as a LW, his pressing and lack of it and his wrong positioning causes us a problem. If he is sitting there waiting for the ball at the LS position (as shown on heatmaps so I'm not making this up) when he is playing a ST by himself- the heatmap I showed vs Newcastle showed not a single run towards the right hand side - can you really only blame the crosser for being shit and not picking up the striker? I think his runs could be better.

Our goals are very scrappy and it feels like your watching boxing more than football. Yet everyone in the team gets blamed but Ronaldo.

Anyway, I LOVE it when he scores. I'm not there frowning like Ronaldo is doing when things are not going his way as you can routinely see him do. I'm SIIIUUUUU and everything.

However the thing is Ronaldo in a whole 90 mins is not a complete player anymore- he is just a poacher. A poacher we can get the benefit of in the last 20 mins when we need his goals.

Building the team to get the best out of a player that is going to turn 30 bloody 7 :eek: wasn't the last time we did this with Zlatan Ibrahimovic? He wasn't even that old I don't think. We can be good at best but people think we are going to be the best just can't complete a puzzle.

He left us in his prime - and he has arrived 11- 12 years after with people still treating him and thinking like he is in his prime.

We need to build the team around Greenwood, Bruno, Rashford etc. Players who are either in their prime or are playing towards it. Yet people are talking about how Greenwood needs to be dropped so we now play more traditional wingers who cross towards bloody Ronaldo rather than possibly maybe playing a false 9 that gets the best out of young inverted forwards like Rashford and Greenwood just to highlight a simple difference in tactics that have entered people's mind since the entering of C Ronaldo Round 2, Version 2.

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
Completely, don't let the facts get in the way of their rehearsed narrative.
Surely a better take is how well he's done to score 6 in such a totally misfiring team, and the sheer promise of what he'll do when we get a new coach and some tactical acumen.
Absolutely, he’s not only scored six in a very short period but was involved in 2 really important goals that have us top of the CL group.

He may be 36 and we should understand he isn’t going to press like a prime Wayne Rooney but the attacks on him are unwarranted.

Strelok

I think he is over performing Messi at the age of 36 to whatever age Messi is in an easier league at a lower age! :drool:

However, that doesn't change the fact that Ronaldo IS 36! Ultimately I support United and I can see the positives that Ronaldo's able to bring to our team; like his ability to score a quick last minute scrappy poachers goal - but I can also see the negatives.

People want to build the team towards a 36 year olds bests assests and forget about Greenwood and Rashford and hell even Bruno Fernandes who was called our 2nd coming of Eric Cantona not so long ago. Have you seen how much hate he has received all of a sudden due to this all central approach about getting the best out of Ronaldo?

Like Ronaldo in his prime I get it. Ronaldo that even left Real Madrid I get it. But thjs is now the Ronaldo that has left Juventus after 3 years and is a different calibre of player- not me but many people don't view him as a top 5 to top 10 player in the world anymore.

He is just a poacher and what he is able to do in 90 mins is very limited now. Very minimal link up play, minimal passing, his dribbling isn't great, his pace and acceleration isn't there like it used to be, his positioning as a central striker is wrong because he plays as an angle due to his history as a LW, his pressing and lack of it and his wrong positioning causes us a problem. If he is sitting there waiting for the ball at the LS position (as shown on heatmaps so I'm not making this up) when he is playing a ST by himself- the heatmap I showed vs Newcastle showed not a single run towards the right hand side - can you really only blame the crosser for being shit and not picking up the striker? I think his runs could be better.

Our goals are very scrappy and it feels like your watching boxing more than football. Yet everyone in the team gets blamed but Ronaldo.

Anyway, I LOVE it when he scores. I'm not there frowning like Ronaldo is doing when things are not going his way as you can routinely see him do. I'm SIIIUUUUU and everything.

However the thing is Ronaldo in a whole 90 mins is not a complete player anymore- he is just a poacher. A poacher we can get the benefit of in the last 20 mins when we need his goals.

Building the team to get the best out of a player that is going to turn 30 bloody 7 :eek: wasn't the last time we did this with Zlatan Ibrahimovic? He wasn't even that old I don't think. We can be good at best but people think we are going to be the best just can't complete a puzzle.

He left us in his prime - and he has arrived 11- 12 years after with people still treating him and thinking like he is in his prime.

We need to build the team around Greenwood, Bruno, Rashford etc. Players who are either in their prime or are playing towards it. Yet people are talking about how Greenwood needs to be dropped so we now play more traditional wingers who cross towards bloody Ronaldo rather than possibly maybe playing a false 9 that gets the best out of young inverted forwards like Rashford and Greenwood just to highlight a simple difference in tactic.
This is a very fair and spotted on assessment I must say.

Again, my hat off to you mate.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

We need to build the team around Greenwood, Bruno, Rashford etc. Players who are either in their prime or are playing towards it. Yet people are talking about how Greenwood needs to be dropped so we now play more traditional wingers who cross towards bloody Ronaldo rather than possibly maybe playing a false 9 that gets the best out of young inverted forwards like Rashford and Greenwood just to highlight a simple difference in tactic.
Your recent critics on Ronaldo is over the top, him coming here is a misfortune on his side that he has to deal with our inept manager. It wasn't his fault Ole can't utilize the GOAT.

Hes' 36 and all that, yes. But he could have utilized much much better under a better manager and I have no doubt he could still easilly become the league top scorer if he's managed by a proper manager

Bondi77

Apparently he gave Pogba a stern talking to about snubbing Ole after the game and now Mino is having a word with Tyson Fury about getting some boxing tips so he can go and sort out Ronnie.
You heard it here first folks!

Deery

Dreary
This is a very fair and spotted on assessment I must say.

Again, my hat off to you mate.
How the hell is it a fair assessment we were crying out for a centre forward because Martial/Rashford can’t play there and Cavani is hardly ever fit. It’s the tap ins and poachers goals we are missing to finish of teams but this is a criticism now?

reelworld

Neither does Chelsea.
Neither does Liverpool.

fecking hell :lol:

Ronaldo can frown as much as he likes, but if the manager said he's not playing tben he wont.
Even if what you said was true, that Ronaldo wanted to play every match, this looks much worse on Ole because it shows how weak he was in handling player power.
I'd imagine that Klopp, Conte or any decent managers won't put up with those kind of shites

Bebestation

How the hell is it a fair assessment we were crying out for a centre forward because Martial/Rashford can’t play there and Cavani is hardly ever fit. It’s the tap ins and poachers goals we are missing to finish of teams but this is a criticism now?
Absolutely rubbish. We just signed Sancho which means Greenwood could play there.

The thing that we missed the most was not a forward, it was the ability to break a low block opposition down anyway. Everyone saw that as our main problem last season.

How the history has changed to suit Ronaldo is shocking.

We didn't need Ronaldo at all and we only signed him because City were apparently going for him haha.

We were saving our ST spot for most likely going for Haaland who rejected Chelsea and if he was going to come to England leaves only really us and City. He'll if City ended up with Ronaldo then maybe we have more of a chance of Haaland but now it looks like the opposite is true -

Because why?

Ronaldo does not sit on the bench. He thinks he is too good for that.

Bebestation

Ronaldo can frown as much as he likes, but if the manager said he's not playing tben he wont.
Even if what you said was true, that Ronaldo wanted to play every match, this looks much worse on Ole because it shows how weak he was in handling player power.
I'd imagine that Klopp, Conte or any decent managers won't put up with those kind of shites
Yeah Klopp won't sign him unless he used him as his Origi off the bench.

It would mess up the balance of Mane and Salah.

Only United fans would play

Mane - Ronaldo - Salah
And absolutely get attached at the thought of that.

Strelok

We can agree to disagree. Tbh I don't want to argue with you. I've noticed you're probably the most vocal voice in defending Ronaldo everywhere. Imo arguing with a fanboy is basically pointless.

Anyway we were in fact never looked for a striker in the summer. And not by one tiny bit that's what we were crying for here. Even among the many transfer threads here. Many even do not want Haaland next summer because we have Greenwood. I dare you to find a thread where there's a major voice of us "crying out for a central forward". Please don't make up things out of nothing purely for the sake of your argument.

Deery

Dreary
Absolutely rubbish. We just signed Sancho which means Greenwood could play there.

The thing that we missed the most was not a forward, it was the ability to break a low block opposition down anyway. Everyone saw that as our main problem last season.

How the history has changed to suit Ronaldo is shocking.

We didn't need Ronaldo at all and we only signed him because City were apparently going for him haha.

We were saving our ST spot for most likely going for Haaland who rejected Chelsea and if he was going to come to England leaves only really us and City. He'll if City ended up with Ronaldo then maybe we have more of a chance of Haaland but now it looks like the opposite is true -

Because why?

Ronaldo does not sit on the bench. He thinks he is too good for that.
What’s shocking is you think playing a kid learning his trade to lead the line over the course of a season is a good idea rather than someone who scored 29 league goals last season.

How do you think you beat low block? By getting in behind them and poaching goals in the six yard box or with a header in a packed box.

Haaland can have his choice of clubs and I’ve never heard of him mention United, I have however seen him visit Real Madrid and Barcelona. We can’t pin our hopes on a pipe dream we needed to address the here and now.

Bebestation

What’s shocking is you think playing a kid learning his trade to lead the line over the course of a season is a good idea rather than someone who scored 29 league goals last season.

How do you think you beat low block? By getting in behind them and poaching goals in the six yard box or with a header in a packed box.

Haaland can have his choice of clubs and I’ve never heard of him mention United, I have however seen him visit Real Madrid and Barcelona. We can’t pin our hopes on a pipe dream we needed to address the here and now.
Ronaldo was never a central striker able to play by himself though and he also needed a strike partner so?

Let Greenwood learn than Ronaldo at 36.

You got your post wrong anyway.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
"Last min scrappy poachers goals".

Talk about under playing his two euro goals that very few would score.

Deery

Dreary
Arguing with another member
We can agree to disagree. Tbh I don't want to argue with you. I've noticed you're probably the most vocal voice in defending Ronaldo everywhere. Imo arguing with a fanboy is basically pointless.

Anyway we were in fact never looked for a striker in the summer. And not by one tiny bit that's what we were crying for here. Even among the many transfer threads here. Many even do not want Haaland next summer because we have Greenwood. I dare you to find a thread where there's a major voice of us "crying out for a central forward". Please don't make up things out of nothing purely for the sake of your argument.
You don’t want to argue but you start of by calling me a fanboy?

Go feck yourself Sterlok.

I am vocal because I see a player getting attacked over and over again by the same poster making up anything to suit his narrative and I call it out.

We definitely were in the market for a striker to beat the low block nobody’s making up anything the amount of times we couldn’t finish it off last season. Greenwood is still a kid and learning we can’t pin our hopes on him.

Bondi77

Ronnie would slap the crap out of Conte!

Strelok

Arguing with another member
You don’t want to argue but you start of by calling me a fanboy?

Go feck yourself Sterlok.

I am vocal because I see a player getting attacked over and over again by the same poster making up anything to suit his narrative and I call it out.

We definitely were in the market for a striker to beat the low block nobody’s making up anything the amount of times we couldn’t finish it off last season. Greenwood is still a kid and learning we can’t pin our hopes on him.
You're and tbh I don't think it's a bad thing so I don't understand why you're angry. Why you have to deny you're one of his fanboies? You think being his fanboy is a bad thing?

You know, if you disagree with me you shoud attack my post, instead of insulting me. And make up things. That's exactly why I've never quoted you before despite seeing you everywhere defending Ronaldo. It's pointless and it's not how civilized men supposed to have a discussion.

I've reported you for insulting another poster and of course, put you on ignored, which tbh I rarely had ever to do here. Maybe twice, you should be proud.