MEN: Fred identifies Manchester United's biggest problem this season

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Anything surprising? Isn't what the Ole out brigade has been saying since September? He lacks ideas, capability to coach a team and make it work. These player injury is a nonsense excuse put forward by Ole in brigade to buy more time. No one cares about results, show something on the pitch and we will back him.

This is a bunch of rookies trying to steer a ship in extreme seas.

hubbuh

I like Martial. I think he's very talented and some of the goals he scores are absolute worldies but I've had mixed feelings about him ever since the stories of him being upset and hurt that Zlatan took his number 9 from him.

Such a childish thing to get upset about.
I actually think that says more about United than it does Martial. Completely lacking in deftness and grace, all too eager to attract and appease the stars.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If a player can come out and say this about his team-mates and fundamentally his manager then that pretty much illustrates the lack of authority in the team.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I actually think that says more about United than it does Martial. Completely lacking in deftness and grace, all too eager to attract and appease the stars.
That's how I see it myself, particularly when they gave him the number 11 and maybe the fact that I'm a fan of Giggs, I would prefer to have the 11 than the 9 but I still wouldn't like the way they allegedly did it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I’ve read a good article about Macmanamanaman yesterday, how he came to a very disjointed Real Madrid side (Hierro & Seedorf had literal fights multiple times per season, Raul called their dressing room a trash full of treachery and lies) and managed to unite it with his communication skills, work ethics & general likability. We really need someone like that. Interestingly, Macmanaman wasn’t even considered such a player in England.

SweetRightFoot

Not really thrown anyone under the bus, just saying what we've all seen. The 'vanity' thing certainly rings a bell with Perreira and perhaps Martial.

Walters_19_MuFc

Wow! Not what I was expecting to read. We obviously need more creativity in the team (not just midfield), but was surprised to read the rest.

Be interesting to see what Ole thinks about his comments.

Think this would have been breaking news had Pogba said something like this.

Kostov

Isn’t the reason for teams to have managers for this kind of stuff? The managers installs the objective the team should aim for. Fred works his bollocks every game and fair fecks but this should be a wake up call regarding Ole.

harms

Staff
I’m a bit surprised at the reaction, for me it doesn’t look like Fred disassociates himself from the team and from the negatives that he’s listing. Especially since he’s listing creativity in midfield as one of the main issues. I actually like that he’s talking openly about them and hopefully we’ll address this.

It’s more like “we’re shit and we have to do better” than “we’re shit because A, B and C are not good enough/don’t care about the club” etc., at least that’s what I’ve got from the translation.

Walters_19_MuFc

Isn’t the reason for teams to have managers for this kind of stuff? The managers installs the objective the team should aim for. Fred works his bollocks every game and fair fecks but this should be a wake up call regarding Ole.
This is not something you can fix overnight. However, I definitely feel there is a difference, regards work off the ball. I haven't got the stats, but the players on the pitch certainly seem to be working harder than previous years. Think they big problem is, some of them are actually not as good as they think they are, and because of that, we will struggle to reach this 'objective' Fred is talking about. We need better players. It's as simple as that!

So far, Ole has bought AWB, Maguire, James and now Bruno. All of these seem to work hard, and Ole will need more time to build a team that, not only works their socks off for the club, but also compliment each other.

JPRouve

Scout
I’ve read a good article about Macmanamanaman yesterday, how he came to a very disjointed Real Madrid side (Hierro & Seedorf had literal fights multiple times per season, Raul called their dressing room a trash full of treachery and lies) and managed to unite it with his communication skills, work ethics & general likability. We really need someone like that. Interestingly, Macmanaman wasn’t even considered such a player in England.
That's the part that is underestimated and I will add the type of character that you have. Pogba is the best example of that, you are not going to find a lot of people that will tell you that Pogba doesn't have a very good work ethic and is liked by everyone, the issue is that most people will tell you that he is a fun guy that contributes to a good atmosphere but he isn't a leader that will set the rules and give clear instructions to his teammates. For France it's the type of things that the likes of Griezmann and Matuidi are known to do, for Juventus it was Chiellini, Pirlo and Buffon, for Ancelotti's Milan it was Seedorf, Gattuso, Maldini, Pirlo and Ambrosini. All of these teams also had the jovial, likeable type, those are important but you need the rule setters, the manager's lieutenants.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sounds like hes speaking about a player or
players who tries to do things by himself and not trust teammates.

Rashford is one the other could be Maguire could be a few other candidates also.
Makes sense.
I’m a bit surprised at the reaction, for me it doesn’t look like Fred disassociates himself from the team and from the negatives that he’s listing. Especially since he’s listing creativity in midfield as one of the main issues. I actually like that he’s talking openly about them and hopefully we’ll address this.

It’s more like “we’re shit and we have to do better” than “we’re shit because A, B and C are not good enough/don’t care about the club” etc., at least that’s what I’ve got from the translation.
You can tell with Fred even before he hit some stride with us that he's always very vocal on the pitch. When he was playing shite he always tried to force the issue even if he misplaces the pass 100 times and shows for the ball. This interview doesn't surprise me because his self starting character on the pitch sort of reinforces the words in the interview.

Walters_19_MuFc

That's the part that is underestimated and I will add the type of character that you have. Pogba is the best example of that, you are not going to find a lot of people that will tell you that Pogba doesn't have a very good work ethic and is liked by everyone, the issue is that most people will tell you that he is a fun guy that contributes to a good atmosphere but he isn't a leader that will set the rules and give clear instructions to his teammates. For France it's the type of things that the likes of Griezmann and Matuidi are known to do, for Juventus it was Chiellini, Pirlo and Buffon, for Ancelotti's Milan it was Seedorf, Gattuso, Maldini, Pirlo and Ambrosini. All of these teams also had the jovial, likeable type, those are important but you need the rule setters, the manager's lieutenants.
I disagree. A good leader identifies when to take the appropriate action. Yes, Pogba is a bubbly person and does create a good atmosphere, but he also knows when to be serious and lead the team in the right way. I think where we struggle is that we have very few leaders in our team. You need more than one!

JPRouve

Scout
I disagree. A good leader identifies when to take the appropriate action. Yes, Pogba is a bubbly person and does create a good atmosphere, but he also knows when to be serious and lead the team in the right way. I think where we struggle is that we have very few leaders in our team. You need more than one!

You may disagree and use an isolated video but it's not the life of the group as they talked about it themselves. On that video though, one of his narcisstic brother took credit for it, he said that he told Pogba to give the speech.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You may disagree and use an isolated video but it's not the life of the group as they talked about it themselves. On that video though, one of his narcisstic brother took credit for it, he said that he told Pogba to give the speech.
What do you think of his brothers? Just curious.

spiriticon

Fred: "Ole is a good coach."

Sign Ole up for 5 more years. Fred has spoken.

Smores

That's quite the bold interview and it doesn't sound like a team that's going to turn things around

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not exactly surprising. It's a weak squad devoid of any characters or leaders.

JPRouve

Scout
What do you think of his brothers? Just curious.
Not much, they both have massive egos and will say anything on TV, Radio or written interviews. I don't think that they should be taken seriously though.

The Original

Fred: "Ole is a good coach."

Sign Ole up for 5 more years. Fred has spoken.
That was the type of compliment one makes in order to soften a criticism. He actually said, He is a young coach and he has positives and negatives... Basically, he is attempting to respectfully say that Ole is not the best coach.I can't imagine a player getting away with saying this about Mourinho, or Ferguson or any other top coach.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not much, they both have massive egos and will say anything on TV, Radio or written interviews. I don't think that they should be taken seriously though.
For extremely average footballers they do seem to have very high opinions of themselves. Think they like getting airtime off their much more talented brother.

Walters_19_MuFc

I do disagree, and that video is an example of him leading the team in the world cup and not being this 'fun guy' that you alluded to. Whether his brother told him to do it or not, fact is, he did it.

JPRouve

Scout
I do disagree, and that video is an example of him leading the team in the world cup and not being this 'fun guy' that you alluded to. Whether his brother told him to do it or not, fact is, he did it.
He didn't lead the team in a world cup, he gave a speech as Varane and other also did. And by fun guy, I'm not trying to diminish his role there is no quote needed, I'm literally meaning that he is a fun guy as Fred mentioned in this interview, Pogba is important for a group because he doesn't let the moral of the group reach rock bottom, if I was to give you an example it would be Dani Alves at Barcelona who was allegedly one of the players who would take care of the younger players and the new members of the team, he is fun and easy to interact with, he is also very professional on the training ground. I didn't say that he wasn't a leader at all but that he wasn't the type of leader that set the rules.

RyRy11

No one says people should be patted on the back for playing badly!! But why does Fred have to go to the media to say these things? He sees these people every day! He's got their numbers! He's probably on a whatsapp group with them! Do you think his colleagues are going to appreciate this?

Coming from a player who only recently found his footing?

Personally I don’t want players in my team who have the attitude to be pissed off by Fred’s comments. If they don’t know they have been playing poorly then they won’t Improve. Self critic/analysis is vital to push on as a player, if you can’t take that there’s the door.

Walters_19_MuFc

That was the type of compliment one makes in order to soften a criticism. He actually said, He is a young coach and he has positives and negatives... Basically, he is attempting to respectfully say that Ole is not the best coach.I can't imagine a player getting away with saying this about Mourinho, or Ferguson or any other top coach.
Every coach has his positive and negatives.

Fred spoke about Jose not playing him and it affecting his chances with the Brazil squad.

Since Ole has come in, I'd say Fred is playing at a level where he could potentially get himself back into the squad.

Walters_19_MuFc

He didn't lead the team in a world cup, he gave a speech as Varane and other also did. And by fun guy, I'm not trying to diminish his role there is no quote needed, I'm literally meaning that he is a fun guy as Fred mentioned in this interview, Pogba is important for a group because he doesn't let the moral of the group reach rock bottom, if I was to give you an example it would be Dani Alves at Barcelona who was allegedly one of the players who would take care of the younger players and the new members of the team, he is fun and easy to interact with, he is also very professional on the training ground. I didn't say that he wasn't a leader at all but that he wasn't the type of leader that set the rules.
Based on what?!

Fred is saying all the right things.

During sucessful times much worse was said by Fergie and Keane in post match interviews if they felt standards had slipped etc.

We need players to stand up and call people out if they're taking the piss - that's how we'll get a winning mentality back in the dressing room. If certain players don't like being called out then they can fecking leave.

RyRy11

On another note I think Fred has just become my favourite player.

Drifter

American
Explains the question about the team playing at times like they just met.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So results are bad, performances are bad and now we hear that "great mood in the squad" is not that great also despite the fact that we bought only players who are "United through and through".

I noticed before that our players don't look as a team. During games only De gea and sometimes Maguire show emotions.

DoomSlayer

Explains the question about the team playing at times like they just met.
Yeah, I feel like some players don't have good footballing relationships on the pitch and probably don't get along outside of it.

You can get away with something like this if you have a squad full of world class players, but our case is very far from such a scenario.

Walters_19_MuFc

I've always shared the opinions that what footballers do in the spare time has nothing to do with us as fans, as long as they are not putting the club in disrepute and they are performing on the pitch.

Reason Lingard gets more stick than say Mata, Pereira, etc, is because of his social media activity. Rashford doesn't get that abuse because he's been our best player this season.

Ronaldo is vain as feck, but works hard every day and produces. I have no problem with this.

P.S. They do look good, though! :cool:

Andersonson

You get vanity when you pay average players like Lingard and Martial huge wages. Martial is almost the best paid striker in the league and has a record of 11 goals.

Im glad Ole is shipping players out, and my guess is these two are the next one going. Pogba too.

They focus too much on their own branding and social media accounts and finally a player speaks out and is saying it.

"Vanity is also an issue and we need to stop this and just run on the pitch.

"We need to stick a goal inside our minds, focus on it and go forward.

"We need to be on the same page and today some players have different objectives"

JPRouve

Scout
Based on what?!
Based on what players said themselves and Deschamps. The established leaders are the likes of Matuidi, Mandanda and Griezmann, Pogba is a work in progress in that department he grew during the world cup but he wasn't the leader, what he absolutely is, is an important member of the locker room with his positive attitude.

harms

Staff
Yeah. But if the problem is a disjointed squad, as Fred says, those types of characters should be able to fix it. I’m guessing that Pogba isn’t able to single-handedly do that. Young was the same (not the captain-like captain, but someone who is very vocal and active socially), Lingard is probably similarly active but I’d expect at least some of the guys to be put off by his extreme childishness (Pogba is a good example of how the same aesthetic can be applied to a more all-rounded personality).

Basically, we would do well with another Evra (one of the greatest examples of a dressing-room uniting character) and Vidić/Keane to be a more tough captain-like figure.