MEN: Manchester United step up transfer activity after Crystal Palace defeat

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't believe it. The people running this club don't have dignity.

jackal&hyde

We already did DVB this window.

The point about Sancho is that his transfer sum is ENORMOUS. - That kind of money in this economy when the only safety net you have is the clubs own financial backbone is not something you "just do". Remember that the Glazers, on top of ALL of this, still want dividends. They are by far the worst owners in football. Not because they don't let the club spend, because they absolutely do, but they also take from the club, which no one really does outside the team Glazer.

The plan was always Jadon Sancho before this window. started, and a midfielder.

Telles being bought on the Left Back is the second option. We wanted Reguilon but we balked at the buy back clause. We're not a farmer club so you can't really argue with that. Telles is a backup for Shaw, not his replacement. Luke Shaw is one of our best players by far.

People rightfully hate on Lindelöf for the shambolic performance this weekend, but let's not forget that he was the player of the match against Leicester in the final game of the 19/20 season. The club had no reason to suspect that this was going to happen. And we have a LOT of Centerbacks. We can't just bring another one in without selling in that position. And not for a lack of trying, we yet havent. Smalling is attempted sold but Roma are trying to be cheapskates. A bit like Manchester United are.

We are 7 weeks removed from what was a fantastic 6 months of football, and it took 90 minutes for people to start pretending that the team is awful and our players are bad and the manager is clueless.

Absolutely, amazingly, well done everyone.
Very good post.

I don't think it would be out of this World to suggest the club might have pushed forward defensive buys. Last season it was 2 players in defense and a gamble on a cheap player; in January it became crucial that we move on AM fast, Pogba being out played a key role here.

It feels like the plan is something like this:
1) summer 1, mostly defense, with Bruno an emergency buy due to long term injury of Pogba
2) summer 2, mostly mid/offensive buys
3) summer 3, finishing touches, a CD and DM

Compete for the title by the third year.

The defense was good last year but it stands to reason it was ok to focus on other areas. After the horrible display by Lindelof and Bailly and Tuanzebe still not showing reliability, we could very well have kicked in to gear to bring a CD this window.

Superden

even with our much lauded and revamped global scouting network, we are still going to end up making last minute panic bids for muppet signings.

Tibs

We are slow as feck at everything.

From moving for transfers, to moving on the pitch, to passing the ball.

Siorac

If it is a brief it’s the stupidest brief in the history of briefs. Because it paints the club in an appalling light. The idea that our transfer strategy could be changed by a single 90 minutes of football is fecking mind-blowing. So on the basis of this article we can either conclude that the people in charge of the footballing side of things have not a clue, or the people in charge of PR have not got a clue.

I’m going with both.
Yeah, seriously, I'm hoping that the MEN just pulled it out of their arse to get those sweet delicious clicks because if it's a brief... well, then what you said applies.

Cloud7

If it is a brief it’s the stupidest brief in the history of briefs. Because it paints the club in an appalling light. The idea that our transfer strategy could be changed by a single 90 minutes of football is fecking mind-blowing. So on the basis of this article we can either conclude that the people in charge of the footballing side of things have not a clue, or the people in charge of PR have not got a clue.

I’m going with both.
Now I'm not saying the people in charge of out footballing things have any sort of clue at all, BUT, I have felt for quite a while now that our PR people might actually be worse than the footballing people. They really don't seem to have a finger on the pulse of the fanbase at all, and the attempts they make to placate things when there's negativity around the club just seem to make it worse nine times out of ten.

Havak

Pokemon master
It feels like we've done this before... Wait until we are proven to be shit before actively trying to get deals done.

Other teams seem to get big deals done before the season kicks off for the most-part. I would much rather our club pay a little extra if it meant we could have a more organised pre-season and players bedded into the squad at least. At the rate we're going, our team isn't going to be actually finalised and prepared for the season until after the October international break. What if we are already 10+ points behind the leaders then? You've already fecked off your chance at a title so why didn't the board just get it done?

I guarantee that whatever the club's ambition was before the season starts would still be the goal come close to November as the board will believe they have delivered on their end with £200m~ spent. I don't believe this to be a fair assessment even though they'll have eventually backed the manager, because you've given him a disadvantaged start and relying on him and the squad to play catch up - yet again. It really is farcical. It's like giving someone a huge handicap in a race every time and expecting them to beat people who are already significantly better than them.

I totally understand that even saving £2million is a huge thing for any team, but if it costs you Champion's League football by a few points because you acted too slowly, then you're actually losing money in the end anyway. This is what I don't understand, as of course someone like Ed will get amazing sponsorship deals but that contract doesn't have to get to grips with the club, manager's way of playing, potentially learn a language and move house while trying to get up to a level of performance. It isn't a case of OK the deal is done on deadline day and he slots into the team perfectly at his highest level right away. It's just a bananas way of doing dealings in football IMO. I honestly believe that for 6-7 years our board have been failing at their job but not been punished for it.

We have to get Sancho, Telles and a CB done this window and then hope we can have a strong Christmas with a deeper squad and finish the season well again just to be in the top four still IMO. This is not a reaction to the Palace defeat either, I saw that one coming when I realised how much fitter and better prepared than us they were going to be. It's the way basically every important transfer has gone for our club for ages.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Now I'm not saying the people in charge of out footballing things have any sort of clue at all, BUT, I have felt for quite a while now that our PR people might actually be worse than the footballing people. They really don't seem to have a finger on the pulse of the fanbase at all, and the attempts they make to placate things when there's negativity around the club just seem to make it worse nine times out of ten.
And when you’ve multiple functions within an organisation all failing to deliver, then you have to look at the CEO...

greendevil

With Pochettino still available I could see them sacking Solskjaer (not that i want that) because it would be cheaper to do that than buy new players!

Jev

If true, the report worries me. I certainly hope our long-term planning is not so fickle as to be dependant on one result in the first game of the season.

Don't get me wrong, we should be active in the transfer market regardless of the Palace result but one game shouldn't change or transfer plans one iota (barring serious injuries etc.).

Robbie Boy

But, some on here would have you believe that our squad is fine and only the spoiled, entitled fans want "shiny new signings".

CG1010

I really hope its some journalist making up stuff. If it is the club's thinking than it makes them look really daft - allowing one game to dictate their transfer strategy. And doubly daft because someone at the club thought this briefing will help in portraying the club in a positive light!

laughtersassassin

Well
this doesn't sound like good news.

Major concern being it sounds like no attacker or right winger is being brought in? So we are going to depend on 3 attackers all season?

We know Igalho and Dan James can't be trusted sadly.

Oles top target was supposedly RW we really going to ignore it.

It should not be a case of either or. Back the manager ffs.

snowkarl

It's going to be another set of 2-3 panic buys that will end up flopping and clogging up the wage bill due to excessive wages. Telles is going to come on 150kpw or something, which will mean that we have like 400kpw in wages on left back (!!!!!!!!) and then we'll get someone like Zaha or some average winger from Germany or France who will barely outperform Dan James.

I'd honestly prefer they didn't buy anyone else this window. It's not going to work out.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It's going to be another set of 2-3 panic buys that will end up flopping and clogging up the wage bill due to excessive wages. Telles is going to come on 150kpw or something, which will mean that we have like 400kpw in wages on left back (!!!!!!!!) and then we'll get someone like Zaha or some average winger from Germany or France who will barely outperform Dan James.

I'd honestly prefer they didn't buy anyone else this window. It's not going to work out.
Damned if they do, damned if they don't. This is a big reason I think they are reluctant to spend, but it is unforgivable at this stage.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Given we signed Fernandes sl late into last summer's window that he turned up in the middle of January, I wouldn't be getting hopes up about us "stepping up" anything yet.

It's also Ole's 2nd/3rd season so in addition we have to go through the process of Woodward deliberately not signing players because he's going to sack the manager but then not sacking the manager for another 8 months yet.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We won’t and it is a big joke nowadays. We will soon release a statement that we look for a DoF though

Coleyoscar

If this story is true it merely confirms the shambolic nature of the strategic planning at the club. If it's not, and simply a leak to a journalist to try to calm the angry fan base, it's indicative of a truly unprofessional approach to Public Relations.
It's hard to escape the conclusion that the people in charge are so far out of their depth now that they can't even panic with any sense of urgency.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
And when you’ve multiple functions within an organisation all failing to deliver, then you have to look at the CEO...
Exactly.

That Woodward, the guy who has overseen the clubs most barren spell both in terms of success on the pitch and the transfer market for three decades, remains CEO beggars belief.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Actions speak louder than words.

Why don't the club do their talking in the transfer market instead of through their mouthpiece, the MEN?

romufc

The only thing this club is capable of is PR spins.

Its one PR spin after another. Fans have had enough of this, no other club puts out this many briefs regarding transfers and does nothing.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
At lest 5 clubs have left us in the starting blocks in the season start.
we're going to need an epic pick up to hit anywhere near the speed to get to the finish line