MEN: United targeting 4 players for next summer

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Sancho, Maddison, Chilwell and Rice being the rumoured 4.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Brexit United

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

These sort of stories are always annoying.

It's 2 months after a full 3months when we could have been targeting them!

As if we're thinking 10months ahead now, when we could easily see a change of management.

VanGaalyTime

We will need to sign at least two players in January to make the top 6 this year. Otherwise we'll be out of Europe.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

I highly doubt Leicester are going to sell us Maddison and Chilwell after selling us Maguire this past summer. I can see one (Maddison though I'm really not sure about him) but not both.

Rice - god no

Sancho - god yes

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I like Sancho and Maddison but I'm hoping were not as obsessed with English players as the media likes suggest because that would batshit stupid.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Probably bullshit but if it were true, I guess the club's vast scouting network's complex, intricate transfer policy is apparently

British = yes
Hyped = yes

Ok sign him.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
I highly doubt Leicester are going to sell us Maddison and Chilwell after selling us Maguire this past summer. I can see one (Maddison though I'm really not sure about him) but not both.
Money talks at the end of the day but I'd have to imagine the club would have to fork out a very pretty penny for it to happen.

Either a complete fabrication from the journalist or a leak from the board to distract fans' attention. Either way, not worth getting our hopes up.
I agree but the muppet in us requires feeding as this is going to be a long winter...

spiriticon

Targeting 4 whole players?

Probably means we'll get one.

Probably Mandzukic. For £22 million.

Overlook

Neither Rice or Longstaff are currently good enough to command the fees that would be required to buy them. The squad is desperate for a holding midfielder of a good age that can make an immediate difference.

BlackBen

Isn't it annoying how these stories spring up every time United perform awfully (seems like every game tbf)?

And Rice? No thank you. I'd rather have 16yr old Cammavinga of Rennes who is way mobile and a better ball player than Declan. He'll also come cheaper.

Hawks2008

That's a £300m+ window and I'm not sure it massively improves us.

Sancho aside I don't think any of them are must-sign and I refuse to believe we cannot find better value outside the PL.

romufc

That's a £300m+ window and I'm not sure it massively improves us.

Sancho aside I don't think any of them are must-sign and I refuse to believe we cannot find better value outside the PL.
I like this dream that every Utd fan on here has about us signing Sancho.

The ONLY reason he would come to United is money. There is nothing else that we can offer him if we do not finish in the Champions League spaces.

James Madison and Chilwell - Realistically speaking, does anyone actually think Leicester will let 2 of their better performers leave on the cheap?
If Leicester finish above us, why would they want to leave anyway>?

Eric's Seagull

Would be happy to get 4 players next summer although I think we should have brought more players in the last window. If they are true. Although I would really like Sancho I think Sancho is going to be hard to get and will take up a significant chunk of if not all our budget. Not to sure about Rice and Chilwell. Although I think a quality CDM is an addition we really need but think that Maddison will be a quality addition. I also think we could do with a striker.

I think we would have to make mega offer to get Chilwelll and Maddison as Leicester won't want to loose their better players as they will want to build on this season. I hope that if we do sign players in January that it doesn't come out of next summer's budget as I think it should have been spent in the last window.

CallyRed

I'm sure Sancho would be ecstatic about joining a huge midtable football club.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Sancho : Like it but I cant see this happening anytime soon. What can United exactly tempt him with at the present ?
Personally I think he'll either end up back at City or Real Madrid,who they themselves seem to be bringing in the next stars for the future.

Maddison : I can see this one happening,more so if Pogba leaves.

Chillwell : Good,solid fullback and has been admired by various top managers in the PL.
Could happen but again we're dealing with one of Leicester City's top players.

Rice : Simply put I haven't watched him enough to form a opinion on his abilities.
Going by the CAF's reviews on him there all seem to suggest he's crap.

C'est Moi Cantona

This again, how about you get your house in order before talking crap about who we're never going to actually sign next summer.

I honestly believe Woodward thinks all fans just take this sort of crap at face value & lap it up.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
A nothing article. But it's also common sense. Anyone looking at our squad can tell you we need a right winger, #10, holding midfielder, left back and Ole himself said that in January/the summer we'll look for a striker. 5 players over the next 2 windows to be perfect, the left back being the one I'd ignore if we can only pick 4.

JB7

Sancho and Maddison would be excellent signings and well worth the £75m+ they'd both cost in my opinion.

Rice is massively inconsistent, I've seen him be very poor and very good at times in the same game. But he's young, he's going to be inconsistent. West Ham are well off enough to want crazy money for him so while I think he could blossom into a very good player I don't personally think he'd represent value for money.

Chilwell is better than Shaw but that's it. We could do better than him, certainly considering Leicester would want a fortune.

Eric's Seagull

Sancho and Maddison would be excellent signings and well worth the £75m+ they'd both cost in my opinion.

Rice is massively inconsistent, I've seen him be very poor and very good at times in the same game. But he's young, he's going to be inconsistent. West Ham are well off enough to want crazy money for him so while I think he could blossom into a very good player I don't personally think he'd represent value for money.

Chilwell is better than Shaw but that's it. We could do better than him, certainly considering Leicester would want a fortune.
Agree Sancho would be well worth it but in my opinion i think they will ask for about £150m for him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Isn't it annoying how these stories spring up every time United perform awfully (seems like every game tbf)?

And Rice? No thank you. I'd rather have 16yr old Cammavinga of Rennes who is way mobile and a better ball player than Declan. He'll also come cheaper.
You’re advocating signing a 16 year old to go straight into a PL first team? Pfffffft

Hawks2008

The ONLY reason he would come to United is money. There is nothing else that we can offer him if we do not finish in the Champions League spaces.

James Madison and Chilwell - Realistically speaking, does anyone actually think Leicester will let 2 of their better performers leave on the cheap?
I never said he was realistic, but he is the calibre of player we should be targeting. I am less convinced by the others. Madisson + Chilwell would be easily £150m combined and I don't think they massively improve us for that amount of money. Rice again would cost a bomb and isn't good enough to warrant such a fee.

romufc

This again, how about you get your house in order before talking crap about who we're never going to actually sign next summer.

I honestly believe Woodward thinks all fans just take this sort of crap at face value & lap it up.
Well, who can blame him look at threads and posts in this forum.

people talking about Sancho and the like we would be lucky to even speak to him.

How fans think a transfer target list of 4 players can be put together in October when Utd are so sheet is beyond me. You have targets but seriously, from the past years does anyone actually think what the club says will happen?

Are we going to fall for this again?

redshaw

300m+ for the brit pack

I doubt we'll get 150m for Pogba, more like ~100m.

Also doubt we'll be in a fit state to attract Sancho and Maddison.

romufc

I never said he was realistic, but he is the calibre of player we should be targeting. I am less convinced by the others. Madisson + Chilwell would be easily £150m combined and I don't think they massively improve us for that amount of money. Rice again would cost a bomb and isn't good enough to warrant such a fee.
Fair, he is the calibre but I don't think we can attract that calibre at the moment.

It doesn't fill anyone with confidence when the player signing doesn't even know which manager he will play for.

JB7

Agree Sancho would be well worth it but in my opinion i think they will ask for about £150m for him.
They may well do, but it will be a buyers market in the sense that Dortmund have publicly acknowledged that he will probably leave next summer, have probably given him the contract on the condition he will leave soon and as such if the buying clubs only want to pay £100m for example that's probably what they'll sell for.

Obviously they'll want an auction of sorts but if United go in as strong as they could do - considering he appears to have been a long term target for us now - then we should be putting together a package that other clubs cannot match.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
IF there was a semblance of truth to it and IF we somehow got all 4, then we shift out Pogba to pay for some off it, and we revert to a standard 4-4-2 for the league with Maddison tucking in behind whoever ends up number 9. Rice the ball winner alongside McTominay b2b?

It’s all bs though, no chance we sign them all.
I do think that they are all good individuals though

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
None of these links are new and none are particularly interesting at the minute given we aren't getting any of them in January and summer is a long way off. I suppose if Luckhurst is getting this from the club rather than making it up on the back of a fag packet the Chilwell interest suggests Ole wants to upgrade Shaw, or at least wants competition in the LB position, which we've never heard in public before.

Grande

Groucho Marx: I wouldn’t want to be a member of a club that wants someone like me as a member.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I personally think we should sign Sancho and Maddison and off set the Rice and Chilwell signings by looking at cheaper alternatives domestically or abroad.

BlackBen

You’re advocating signing a 16 year old to go straight into a PL first team? Pfffffft
Yes I am. He starts every game for Rennes and I have watched almost every game he's played this season. I know there's a question of the competitiveness of the French league but I reckon he can play every 2 out of three games if he's eased in. Although slight, he's very physical.

And last time I checked there's this supposed three year plan and the notion that we're rebuilding. So why don't we rebuild with real talents? If you're good enough you're old enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue