Mentality

RedStarUnited

There is a mental switch that is still in the OFF position in our players heads. There are way too many games where we dont turn up or dont do enough to see games off. And this shows with our inconsistency in the league.

We play games at 0-0 or 1-0 as if we are 3/4 goals up and dont need another goal. Its not helped by the fact that I don't feel we have a single forward in the team who is goal hungry.

Any team who approaches games against us with intensity has a chance no matter their quality. I hope Ole realises this and works on getting the guys mentally focussed. I doubt he sees it the same though. Whilst I am screaming at the team to raise intensity, Ole is usually chilling on his seat looking worried.

el3mel

There's a big problem with our mentality once we concede a goal. It feels like we don't expect to concede at all and once it happens we're too shocked to react and lose all our composure for few minutes. Happened in Spurs game and then today as well. We were lucky in both to not concede a second goal while we went totally off after we conceded. Pretty weird really.

0le

Mentality is absolutely fine. Lots of effort on the pitch. The captain scoring the winning goal.. It is the quality which is lacking in too many areas and possibly some criticism levelled at the coaching staff.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
There is a mental switch that is still in the OFF position in our players heads. There are way too many games where we dont turn up or dont do enough to see games off. And this shows with our inconsistency in the league.

We play games at 0-0 or 1-0 as if we are 3/4 goals up and dont need another goal. Its not helped by the fact that I don't feel we have a single forward in the team who is goal hungry.

Any team who approaches games against us with intensity has a chance no matter their quality. I hope Ole realises this and works on getting the guys mentally focussed. I doubt he sees it the same though. Whilst I am screaming at the team to raise intensity, Ole is usually chilling on his seat looking worried.
Rashford and Greenwood basically shoot at any opportunity, seems a bit unfair to say they aren't goal hungry.

The game was a dull affair but we did actually win the match. When our actual starting 11 was on we controlled the game.

RedStarUnited

Mentality is absolutely fine. Lots of effort on the pitch. The captain scoring the winning goal.. It is the quality which is lacking in too many areas and possibly some criticism levelled at the coaching staff.
We are way better than Norwich in every department. Its not the effort, im talking about the application of the effort. We do not play with any intensity and thats my issue.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

And there's me thinking we are currently 13/14 games undefeated, and in none of those games did we deserve, or come close to lose, but maybe that's just me.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Feel like I'm a broken record on this point... But you do realise we made 8 changes and for most it was their first start of what is essentially a new season but without a proper pre-season?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
At the same time I do feel there is a greater mentality in this squad than there has been for a while. Things weren’t coming off for Fernandes but he kept demanding the ball and trying things (a flick that led to the game changing for us) and dug in tracking back. Maguire was commanding all game and popped up with the winner. This is a game I think we would have lost not that long ago at all.

Plenty of positives to take in terms of the growth of the players’ collective mentality. Today highlighted to me the fringe players are too shite for us to practice squad rotation and therefore to compete on all fronts.

RedStarUnited

And there's me thinking we are currently 13/14 games undefeated, and in none of those games did we deserve, or come close to lose, but maybe that's just me.
Again, im talking over the course of the season not the last game. Look at the games we have lost or drawn at home.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Again, im talking over the course of the season not the last game. Look at the games we have lost or drawn at home.
I don't really know what point you're trying to make. We're a work in progress and just because there are times when we're 1-0 up and we don't score a second and third to close a game out as more successful teams do, it doesn't mean the players are of the mindset that one is enough(collectively or individually), and i'm sure they are not coached to think that way either.

eire-red

Since Bruno has come in everything seems to have changed. I haven't felt there has been anything wrong with our effort or mentality this season, more just a lack of quality in key areas resulting in a lack of belief at times.

Discarding Lingard and Pereira for Bruno and Pogba has changed the dynamic, I feel the effort and intensity hasn't changed, but things are coming off that weren't before. That elevation in quality is the key.

If I'm not mistaken, we're what, 14 games unbeaten now? I don't think you go on a run like that, playing Wolves, Chelsea, City and Spurs along the way, with a 'weak' mentality. I actually feel mentally we're stronger now than ever post Fergie, with leaders in key areas of the pitch.

baskinginthesun

Both Martial and Rashford on course to have their best scoring seasons yet. Greenwood in his first season and managed to score 14 goals. Could hardly say they aren't goal hungry. It seems over the last 6 months the mentality thing is turning a corner considering the form were in. We also salvaged a draw with Spurs and then went on to win against Norwich after conceding. This is coming off what is probably the longest lay off from football the players have ever had.

The fitness isn't quite there and there is definitely some rustiness right now but, I would say that the players have the mentality, currently, to get through a game.

Brightonian

We battered them for the second half and extra time. They defended very well. We won.

Being handed games on a platter is not proof of a good mentality. Coming out on top against staunch opposition is. That's what we did.

I see a really healthy, and dare I say it Fergie-esque mentality around this squad at the moment.