Mercenaries

RedorDead21

Do you really think Casemiro is thinking he's going to be winning CLs or Premier Leagues with United anytime soon? Or will he be happy winning the league Cup?
He may be hoping if we can attract him, we can attract others of similar ability..and with time (2/3 years) he could be in the mix for a bigger trophy. Like all the players who signed for city (silva. Aguero, kompany?) back in the day or Allison and VD at liverpool…

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Mercenaries or amateur clowns? I know which one to pick if I want to win.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He may be hoping if we can attract him, we can attract others of similar ability..and with time (2/3 years) he could be in the mix for a bigger trophy. Like all the players who signed for city (silva. Aguero, kompany?) back in the day or Allison and VD at liverpool…
So he leaves a club in the mix for all the main titles to join a club that has no chance of any of those in the next 2 or 3 years because he wants to feel part of a project? Sorry but I can't just buy that.

hobbers

Look at the players who are not mercenaries.

Rashford, McTominay, Lingard, Shaw (arguably).

I'd rather have mercs.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Do you really think Casemiro is thinking he's going to be winning CLs or Premier Leagues with United anytime soon? Or will he be happy winning the league Cup?
Why would I think that? What is the relation to the concept of mercenary and how is he different to any other player?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Why would I think that? What is the relation to the concept of mercenary and how is he different to any other player?
You stated professional players want silverware and money. Not one or the other. At Madrid he could achieve both those goals which fits with your criteria. At United he could only realistically achieve one of the those and it isn't silverware.

JPRouve

Scout
You stated professional players want silverware and money. Not one or the other. At Madrid he could achieve both those goals which fits with your criteria. At United he could only realistically achieve one of the those and it isn't silverware.
Over the course of their careers they want both. And what makes United winning silverware unrealistic? Football moves very fast and good players have confidence in their abilities, the same applies to managers. People also sometimes want new challenges, it's not a career goal but a player that has won a lot and is offered a good wage can take risks that others won't.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Every footballer is a "mercenary" at the pro level. Literally playing for the pay. When is the last time a footballer said I'm going to play for free?
All salaried workers are to a degree. Most of us have moved for a pay rise, but sports folk are damned for it.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Over the course of their careers they want both. And what makes United winning silverware unrealistic? Football moves very fast and good players have confidence in their abilities, the same applies to managers. People also sometimes want new challenges, it's not a career goal but a player that has won a lot and is offered a good wage can take risks that others won't.
I know there are glass half full people but anyone thinking we're going to be winning serious titles anytime soon must be drinking out of a 6 litre one and it's half full of 100% vodka. The rest I do agree with you. I'm not calling Casemiro a mercenary by the way. If our club are prepared to pay extortionate wages then It's not his fault. My main qualm is with the club more than the player. Its another case of let's throw money at something and see if it sticks again instead of having set direction. Who knows? Maybe this time it will pay off.

Someone

Something
I know we are in a bad moment, but let's not pretend that playing for Manchester United is some sort of a sacrifice. You play for a great club in an iconic stadium, with a massive fanbase, and great wages.

Players play for money and success. I wonder how many actually end up playing for their childhood clubs. I'm sure there are plenty of players out there who grew up supporting United but the chance didn't present itself. But let's not pretend that players join Real Madrid just for the name, it's no coincidence that big clubs pay big wages.

So no, I don't think that they're mercenaries. They're professionals playing for a top club, and it's normal for a struggling big club to go after top players to get it back on top. Some players end up connecting with the club more than others, but you can't possibly label every players joining us on high wages a mercenary.

JPRouve

Scout
I know there are glass half full people but anyone thinking we're going to be winning serious titles anytime soon must be drinking out of a 6 litre one and it's half full of 100% vodka. The rest I do agree with you. I'm not calling Casemiro a mercenary by the way. If our club are prepared to pay extortionate wages then It's not his fault. My main qualm is with the club more than the player. Its another case of let's throw money at something and see if it sticks again instead of having set direction. Who knows? Maybe this time it will pay off.
The only thing that I know is that Football is a sport with quick turnarounds where any decent team can win silverware. So there is no scenario where I will claim that winning silveware over the course of 3 or 4 years is unrealistic because, and I hope you will excuse my bluntness, it's a dumb idea.

TsuWave

“Play for the shirt” should be pulled out back and executed right alongside “the United way”

You need a core of good players, with a good manager, as well as excellent coaching and recruitment system in place. All this “passion” stuff is fluff