Music Mercury Prize

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes

Shortlist was announced today, really surprised not to see Black Country, New Road or Dave nominated. Massive oversights in my opinion.

I liked both the Wet Leg and Yard Act albums but having seen both bands live, I've kind of gone off them now.

Self Esteem for the win!

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Listened to and liked the albums by Self Esteem, Little Simz, Wet Leg and Yard Act. Heard good things about the Nova Twins record too but haven't got around to it yet. Some of the others I briefly listened to but they didn't grab my attention much.

But agree that the Black Country, New Road album is better than anything I've heard on that list. Strange that it was overlooked.

Zebs

Listened to and liked the albums by Self Esteem, Little Simz, Wet Leg and Yard Act. Heard good things about the Nova Twins record too but haven't got around to it yet. Some of the others I briefly listened to but they didn't grab my attention much.

But agree that the Black Country, New Road album is better than anything I've heard on that list. Strange that it was overlooked.
My only thought is that they didn't put themselves forward for it because of the lineup change or something along those lines.

Zebs

On tonight. Hoping for a Self Esteem win, would be thoroughly deserved. Would be delighted to see Joy Crookes win too with her being half-Irish but don't think she's anywhere near the favourite.

Fingeredmouse

Gwenno would be my choice but not a chance.
Little Simz or Self Esteem I imagine, either of who would be hard to argue against.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Chaise Lounge was a good song, but man they are the most over-hyped band I've ever known.

Zebs

2023 nominations are out. Lankum for the win!

The full list is as follows:

Arctic Monkeys - The Car

Ezra Collective - Where I'm Meant to Be

Fred again.. - Actual Life 3 (January 1 - September 9 2022)

J Hus - Beautiful And Brutal Yard

Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good!

Jockstrap - I Love You Jennifer B

Lankum - False Lankum

Loyle Carner - Hugo

Olivia Dean - Messy

Raye - My 21st Century Blues

Shygirl - Nymph

Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy

Zebs

I’d fecking love to see Fred Again get it. Haven’t played an album as much as Actual Life 3 in years.
I like Fred a lot, but he won't win. I actually thought AL3 was the worst of his records so far, was surprised to see him nominated but he is at the height of his popularity right now, I guess! Jockstrap or Ezra Collective would be great winners but the Irish in me is hoping for Lankum.

Zebs

I'm going with Lankum, with Jockstrap my back up.

It'll probably go to Young Fathers though.