MERGED: Rooney signs new contract!

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
Yeah he taken us for a bunch of mugs, and I wish he'd been sold and we bought a couple players to replace him. Sadley, that's not happened. At the end of the day I'll always be in full support for Fergie above anyone and everyone and if he says to support Rooney, I'll do my best to.
At the end of the day it seams he's going to be here for a long time yet so may as well make the best of it, support him and hope he puts a load of goals away.
...so that he can be sold in the summer for a huge transfer fee.

Number7

Ret's Slave
The only thing I find wierd is that this holiday has been planned for ages (pics of Rooneys upcoming 'birthday bash')...before he got injured

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Sam Wallace: Rooney was simply looking after No 1 – there are bigger public enemies

Rooney might well think it would have been less hassle if he had joined the City of London instead of threatening to join City of Manchester.

Monday, 25 October 2010

If there was one major tactical error that Wayne Rooney made when executing the textbook coup that landed him his gold-plated new contract, it was bringing the whole plot to the boil in the same week that the Government's latest austerity measures cut 500,000 jobs and £81bn from public spending.

In case you missed it, Rooney is currently copping the blame for everything from the recession to the rise in council house rents – and that is just the polite criticism. Rooney might have won the battle to make him Manchester United's best-paid footballer but the judgement from some quarters has been severe. In modern Britain what you earn defines you, and everyone thinks they know what Rooney earns.

There are plenty of much richer men than Rooney in this country and many of them have earned their fortunes employing far more aggressive tactics than Rooney did in his contract stand-off of the last two months. But, as opposed to the hedge fund investors or private equity tycoons, Rooney is a footballer and footballers are expected to sign up to a nebulous pact of loyalty with their clubs – although loyalty is ultimately what shafted generations of Rooney's underpaid predecessors in professional football.
You could be forgiven for thinking it was Rooney's fault that this country has a crippling public deficit that his generation will spend much of their working lives paying off. But it isn't. And while we are on the subject, come April, the Exchequer will take its 50 per cent of the £200,000 (give or take) that Rooney earns every week, so no one could say that he is not doing his bit.

Yes, it can be hard to defend the Rooney generation when they fritter away their fortunes on monogrammed seats and matt-black finishes for their swanky cars. No one with any sense would try to defend Rooney's wages to a teacher in an inner-city state school or an NHS nurse, but footballers are not the only ones whose wages are disproportionately large compared to our poor old undervalued key workers.

The easy thing to do is to fulminate about the modern English footballer. To slag him off and protest that the game is not what it used to be. Or wonder why the uppity players of this generation are not happy to retire with a pat on the head and two bob from his club like they did in the good old days. We like our old-fashioned football heroes to be stoic, humble and skint.

The alternative is to ask the question why the Rooney generation are like they are. Why they insist on getting ever richer, and taking their slice of a football industry that has proved recession-proof amid the recent financial chaos. The answer is quite simple, really. Most of the current crop, born at the end of the 1970s, or like Rooney in the 1980s of Thatcher rule, grew up poor in a society that encouraged them to be anything but.

Rooney was once poor. You only have to read his autobiography or drive past his native Croxteth (I've never driven through it) to know that. He is vague about what his father did for a living and his mother was a dinner lady, which is not a profession anyone goes into for the career prospects. There are plenty of more modern, less abrasive terms for the socio-economic class to which he belonged but poor sums it up pretty well.

Rooney was born 25 years ago yesterday into a poor area of a city with high unemployment and urban depopulation in a British society that was rolling back the trades unions and traditional working-class jobs. It would be another 10 years after then that the Establishment was bold enough to put its new ethos in more direct terms, but essentially Rooney's Britain was a hard place. A place where – to paraphrase Peter Mandelson – people were encouraged to look after No 1 and get filthy rich.

And lots of people have got filthy rich since then. As for Rooney, the sullen kid who trained after school at Everton's academy with scores of other youngsters who never made it, he has embraced the creed. Rooney has become filthy rich, yet having been told all his young life that was what British society wanted him to do, he now finds himself pilloried for it. No wonder he doesn't smile much.

Rooney, like the vast majority of top English footballers, did not come from a nice, middle-class home in the catchment area for a good school. He did not go to university, get a degree and join the graduate training scheme of a big bank. He made the most of what he had. But he could be forgiven for thinking it would have been less of a hassle if he had joined the City of London rather than threatening to join City of Manchester.

The manner in which Rooney strong-armed one of Britain's most famous institutions into paying him £200,000 a week – not to mention upsetting the sensitive old gent in charge of it – has got a lot of people angry. But if his tactics look familiar, don't be surprised. Look around you. Large parts of British society have been doing it for years and most of them do not make the Financial Times news-in-brief section, much less the back page of every national newspaper.

Rooney took on United and won. He made Sir Alex Ferguson backtrack on every rule he ever made and Ferguson was willing to do so because Rooney has a singular talent no one else in this country can hold a candle to. Good luck to him. There are plenty of overpaid mediocrities hiding behind an MBA who have done infinitely more damage than Rooney ever will. He just decided to find out exactly how much he was worth. Isn't that what everyone else does?

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
All this "I can't forgive Rooney" bullshit has to stop, he is a man united player (in fact our best player). Yes he made a mistake the way he dealt with his contract negotiations but his concerns were no different to what mine would have been. He has signed a 5 year deal, so even if he does decide to go in the summer this will result in united getting more money for him and as a direct result of this his salary will be less.

He has assurances from the owners that money is there to invest, which we all wanted to hear.

His agent/advisor's probably sat down with him in the summer and went through the basic financial structure of the club and tbh even if he only understood a little of it, anybody would have had huge concerns about where the club could be in 5 years time.

In summary, the Glaziers by all accounts have assured Rooney and SAF that they will invest if required, our best player has signed a 5 year extension. Win, win.

Get over it and get behind Man Utd and yes that includes Wayne Rooney....

Adebesi

Its not that I am "pissed off with him", "forgive him", "feel hurt/resentful" or whatever. All that is bullshit anyway.

This whole episode highlights what we should have all known anyway - what we probably did all know but allowed emotion to cloud: Manchester United is a job for Wayne Rooney. The club commands feck all loyalty and means nothing other than a vechile for getting paid and furthering his own ambitions. And the same is true of pretty much all our players. Hell, even Giggs and Scholes, probably. Who is to say their being here is anything to do with "loyalty", versus the good fortune to break through at a club that enabled them to fulfil their ambitions without having to move?

Nothing especially wrong with any of that, except we as fans feel different and constantly forget that key difference.

I spot a bit of it in the Hernandez thread as well. Suggestions and implications that he seems to really love playing for United, seems very modest, seems like a nice kid etc. It is all bollocks really. We know nothing about any of these people except their ability on the football pitch. We might as well make the most out of all the players we have and support them while they are playing but expecting anything more than that from them - projecting personalities or beliefs we wish they had onto them - will only lead to disappointment. Any of them would feck off in an instant if it suited them to. All this hero worship of players is nonsense.

wr8_utd

:'(
Put this same post in some other thread too :

David Gill: Manchester Utd can still attract the stars we need - Barclays Premier League - ESPN Soccernet

United's total wages are 46% of turnover - the lowest ratio among Premier League clubs. Arsenal have the next lowest ratio on 49% while City spend more on wages than their total revenue.

He's right though. We can't go spending the City way when it comes to wages. Which makes me further believe the "reported" 250k wages for Rooney are obviously rubbish.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Put this same post in some other thread too :

David Gill: Manchester Utd can still attract the stars we need - Barclays Premier League - ESPN Soccernet

United's total wages are 46% of turnover - the lowest ratio among Premier League clubs. Arsenal have the next lowest ratio on 49% while City spend more on wages than their total revenue.

He's right though. We can't go spending the City way when it comes to wages. Which makes me further believe the "reported" 250k wages for Rooney are obviously rubbish.
I think its been reported fairly widely that the basic wage is between £160-180k and the image rights make up the rest. The 250k figure is sensationalism.

DFreshKing

Alluding to the Rooney contract issue.

if the stipulation of success or get out clause is in fact in place.

What would happen if Rooney need to help win the last game of the season to gain 'success' according to the clause or if not be able to get out of his contract on the cheap and therefore make himself a boat load more money?

Would Mr ambtion want the trophy or the money? Interesting scenario and one reason why I hope the contract is not stipulated like that.

SATA

Some of you lot need to stop making yourselves miserable. You don't have to love or hate Wayne Rooney. United and the gimp are just basically using one another to try and win trophies.

And to be fair, he's injured and there's nothing he can do to help United's cause on the pitch. Let him go on a holiday, do whatever he wants, recharged and get his family matters sorted. We'll see a better player come Christmas time.

wr8_utd

For the first time, this column can reveal why Wayne Rooney signed his five-year contract with Manchester United.

We have obtained a transcript of the sensational conversations that persuaded Rooney to stay at Old Trafford.

David Gill: "But Wayne, we have already shown our ambition is beyond question. We have been the dominant team over the last two decades, winning everything there is to win, and we have the best manager in the world in Sir Alex Ferguson."

Rooney: "Yeah, but ***'s not ambitious **** for me."

Gill: "Look at Old Trafford. It's the biggest club ground in the country with 75,000 fans at every game. Only Wembley is bigger, but their grass doesn't grow. We are the most popular club in the world with 50 million fans."

Rooney: "Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know all ***."

Gill: "We've got tens of millions of pounds for new players and we still have the £80million in the bank from Cristiano Ronaldo's sale. It's just that the manager hasn't seen a deal which he thinks represents good value for money. But I can tell you that Gareth Bale and Frank Ribery are on our list for the summer. Look at Chris Smalling and Javier Hernandez, we've got some of the best young players in the world and we want to keep on winning trophies for years. We want to become the first club to win 19 titles and overtake Liverpool's five European Cups."

Gill is interrupted by Rooney's phone ringing.

Rooney: "Al rite? Who's ***?"

An American voice at other end: "Hello Mr Rooney. It's the Glazers for you Sir."

Rooney: "Wat? De Glazers? Hey, dem fans didn't smash me windies last nite. They couldn't get past the security guards."

Voice: "No, not, the glaziers sir, the Glazers, the club's owners. I have Joel here to speak to you."

Rooney: "Is he gonna sing Uptown Girl? Me and Coleen luv *** one."

Voice: "No, it's Mr Joel Glazer, not Billy Joel."

Rooney: "Yeah, I knew ***."

Joel Glazer: "Hi Wayne old buddy. Dave tells me you don't want to sign your new contract because you think the franchise lacks ambition. I'm sorry to hear that Wayne. What can I say to convince you that the franchise can meet your ambition?"

Rooney: "Hey, Mr Joel. De club has already told me everything they can and it's not ****. I wanna go."

Joel Glazer: "What about £230,000-a-week Wayne?"

Rooney: "Where do I sign?"

The Mirror :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Wayne and Coleen Rooney celebrate £8m pay rise on luxury Dubai holiday | Mail Online

Coleen looking pretty tasty in Dubai. But look at all the booze Wayne :nono:
After keeping fans guessing about whether or not he would quit Manchester United he has managed to stay put with a £200,000 a week pay rise - making him the highest paid footballer in the world.

:lol: £200,000 a week pay rise! Highest paid in the world now apparantly!

feck me, the dailymail really is no better than goal.com or caughtoffside.

wr8_utd

:lol: £200,000 a week pay rise! Highest paid in the world now apparantly!

feck me, the dailymail really is no better than goal.com or caughtoffside.
200k payrise means he's on 290 now according to them?!:lol:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
So how much exactly is Rooney earning per week? Is it more than 200,000 a week? I have read different wages in different papers, so its confusing as to how much he is exactly earning.