Merson: "Man United need 700 million!"

RedCurry

If we got Harry Kane for 250m, Mbappe for 250m, Sancho for 100m that is only 600m and we will compete for third place easily.

I have no idea where he got the 700m figure from.

Robbie Boy

Or, you know, a modern day progressive manager. Not sure Liverpool needed £700m and the squad Klopp inherited wasn’t in any great shapes.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Or, you know, a modern day progressive manager. Not sure Liverpool needed £700m and the squad Klopp inherited wasn’t in any great shapes.
Klopp has spent just over £400m and that started when prices were lower, so £700m is not that unrealistic

Robbie Boy

Klopp has spent just over £400m and that started when prices were lower, so £700m is not that unrealistic
I’m sure he’s also pulled in plenty of money too. The point is, he had Liverpool transformed shortly after joining / spending much. Although results were inconsistent, there was a clear identity to their play and obvious signs of progression.

Suedesi

Some of these threads need to be closed down, it's pissing me off how much sensationalist bullshit is pervading the site.

There should be an Ole discussion, a potential new manager discussion, an ownership/structure discussion, a DOF discussion and then interesting players that could improve the side.

The rest is all piffles.

Greck

We seem to be the first club in world football to be going through a rebuild. 700m? Nine players? 5 transfer windows? Bloody hell.

BlahRules

We need a very good coach and we can compete. The amount of players that had signed only to then to shit is quite telling and blame cannot just be on the scouting but also the coaching.

Furthermore, I don’t see any player from the last 5 years to have improved which is baffeling, no wonder were counting on SAF purchases still.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’m sure he’s also pulled in plenty of money too. The point is, he had Liverpool transformed shortly after joining / spending much. Although results were inconsistent, there was a clear identity to their play and obvious signs of progression.
Yes I agree you could see he was transforming them but he still spent the money

Robbie Boy

Yes I agree you could see he was transforming them but he still spent the money
Is it really that much in that period of time? I mean really? He has a clear vision / plan and laid out the players he needed to fit his system. He sold the ones he didn’t want / didn’t fit his system and I’m not arsed checking but I’m sure his net spend is pretty decent. How much have we spent in the same period and look at the state of us.

A manager that comes in and shows clear progression and a plan deserves money to spend. When you look at what he’s spent in correlation to what he’s done there, it’s pretty impressive.

Anyhow, my main point is that people need to stop talking about us needing to spend mad amounts of money. We’ve done that post Fergie and look where it’s gotten us. First and foremost we need a forward thinking, modern progressive manager who has a clear vision / philosophy. We haven’t gotten to where we are through lack of spending, it’s been terrible purchases and atrocious coaching.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If we only sign superstar players the sum seem to be alright. Of course with a new winger, another striker, two midfielders and a centre back and fullback things will be looking a lot brighter. The individual quality alone will be bailing us out a lot of times, much easier to get away with poor coaching and poor tactics.

Because we're Disneyland, let's do it, can't get any worse.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t think it’s that far fetched. I believe we need 9/10 players out and 9/10 players in within the next 2 seasons

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
They still had to spend alot in order to compete and get anywhere near a real trophy

JPB

He's right. The whole squad is useless. It will take about 4 years to sort it all out. And that is only if all the transfers turn out to be good players for us. And not another Di Maria or Sanchez. We are absolutely fecked.

Walters_19_MuFc

Do you not see any signs of progression with Ole? When people talk about progression, they always refer to style and attacking play however, do you not think we look better as a defensive unit? We leaked goals left, right and centre last season. This season (obviously we spent big on two players for our back four) we've looked a lot more secure at the back and have restricted teams to few chances. For example, Leicester hardly had any chances against us, Arsenal scored from our mistake, Wolves' only chance came from a worldie from Neves, Newcastle had two long range efforts from outside the box, etc.

Yes, we want to see nice attacking, flowing football, but Ole clearly felt our defence was a big issue that needed sorting this season and he's done that.

Klopp, on the other hand, was slightly different. He had a style, but his defence for a long time until he purchased Van Dijk was pretty weak.

God know if Ole will be here long term, but to me he's built, or is certainly in the process of building, a solid foundation for the attacking players he wants to bring in.

Castia

He’s probably not far off.

We need a LB, 2 Midfielders, Right winger and at least 1 top striker for the first team then once the likes of Mata, Lingard etc are sold need a solid bench. Probably need 8-9 players in total.

It needs doing in 1-2 windows what player is going to want to sign knowing the Squad will take years to fix?

Last edited:

Chillosophy

Didnt watch the video as I cant stand Merson.

But dont think he's far off. 500 million total spent sounds about right to be honest, split across 3-4 windows. Spending it wisely is another thing (which we havent done in the last 6 years). And getting rid of more deadwood is another matter.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Pep spent a shit tonne in his first few windows and when you look at the buys, we definitely wouldn't get players that cheap.

I could see it being near that amount if you include players that don't work out.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

exactly. It's about the right man and the right dirctor of football and the right methodology. And what is often missed - it's as much about selling as buying. Klopp has transformed them both in who he sold as well as who he bought. A lot went out of the door, and less players came in, as their squad was too bloated. And of those who came in, the majority have been successes for them.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
The way the market is inflating month by month it's starting to look like 60-80 mil is the new baseline. Wan-Bissaka after one full season was fifty and Maguire after two seasons was eighty. If United need 6-8 players to be competitive in Champions league then 500 to 700 mil is not out of the question especially if players like Kane or Sancho are being put in the 200 mil category. I think Merson may be on the high side but he's in the ball park.

Reactions: Fortitude

MrBest

We need 700m to remove woodward and Ole, sounds about right. Could leave a few bits of change for a couple more dan James

Bondi77

It does annoy me that these various media outlets line up these very good ex footballers and put a microphone in front of them and we have to listen to their garbage.
There are so many of these pundits who get paid a fortune to voice their opinion and the not so intelligent ones which is about 90% of them just offer nothing but from sometimes being controversial.
I was a huge fan of Scholes as a player but he only gets wheeled out to bash Utd and how he or Gary Neville could criticize any manager after their attempts in the role is laughable.

Hughes35

Surprised at all the people disagreeing with him. I said in another thread we need to spend 500million.

If we sell Pogba, he needs replacing so yea he's maybe a hundred or so million away but it's not that crazy. We need a whole new front 6 and arguably could still do with another LB and even a good CB (I don't rate Lindelof).

mav_9me

The way the market is inflating month by month it's starting to look like 60-80 mil is the new baseline. Wan-Bissaka after one full season was fifty and Maguire after two seasons was eighty. If United need 6-8 players to be competitive in Champions league then 500 to 700 mil is not out of the question especially if players like Kane or Sancho are being put in the 200 mil category. I think Merson may be on the high side but he's in the ball park.
They are thereabouts but if we are going to make any sort of recovery it's not going to be by buying Kane/Sancho/Koulibaly/Maddison kind of players. That's just too much money and we don't have City/Qatar money. We will have to find a Robertson for 10m or develop our own TAA, so on and so forth. There will have to be punts on youngsters like Depay or James etc.