Merson: "Man United need 700 million!"

GenZRed

Paul Merson doesn't half take nonsense.

Also, throwing money at players doesn't necessarily mean that you have a team that can compete at the top level. We spent a fortune under LvG and only scrapped top four one in two seasons.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah, but only after they've won the League first, i'd imagine Slippy G and his pals would gladly have swapped their Champions League medals for a Premier League one. In fact a few of them later admitted it.
That's because Slippy G already had a Champions League and it would have been a bigger achievement to be part of the Liverpool team to win their first title after 25-30 years.

But in general, most players for title challenging teams will win the title in their career. But most players playing for title challenging teams don't always win the Champions League. It's just a bigger deal. Arsenal, Spurs, City, Chelsea, even us would take the Champions League next year over the Premier League if we were to chose between one or the other. League title is not far behind, it's immensely important to win but players generally see greater achievement in the Champions League medal because it's just way harder to get.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
That's because Slippy G already had a Champions League and it would have been a bigger achievement to be part of the Liverpool team to win their first title after 25-30 years.

But in general, most players for title challenging teams will win the title in their career. But most players playing for title challenging teams don't always win the Champions League. It's just a bigger deal. Arsenal, Spurs, City, Chelsea, even us would take the Champions League next year over the Premier League if we were to chose between one or the other. League title is not far behind, it's immensely important to win but players generally see greater achievement in the Champions League medal because it's just way harder to get.
City would for obvious reasons, the other clubs wouldn't, neither would 95% of their fans.

Anyho best get back to the 'Paul Merson is a Bellend and nobody over the age of 5 should take anything he says seriously' thread

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
City would for obvious reasons, the other clubs wouldn't, neither would 95% of their fans.

Anyho best get back to the 'Paul Merson is a Bellend and nobody over the age of 5 should take anything he says seriously' thread
That's simply not true :lol:

Withnail

On a seperate note. Didn't feel this guy deserves his own thread so putting this here. Man he grates my skin, always spouting nonsense.

Recent article:
"All the talk about Jadon Sancho commanding a £100m-plus transfer fee has been blown out of the water if you ask me.
"Borussia Dortmund are said to be demanding in excess of that figure for one of Europe's hottest young talents, but they can forget it.
"There's no way that's going to be happening. It's gone – over and out. Top clubs can't be putting staff on furlough and then start forking out that kind of money the minute the transfer window opens.
"It's not just the fee, but with players in that price bracket comes a pay packet of around £300,000 a week and that's just not going to be happening.
"The landscape has changed not just for everyone on the planet but for football as well. Really big-money moves may be off the table for quite some time.
"With the financial situation as it is, how would it look for clubs struggling to pay their staff and then transfer deadline day arrives and it flashes up on the screen that £900m or whatever has been splashed out on players? There would be uproar."

Highlighted the garbage. First off its the likes of Liverpool and co that are furloughing their staff. And aint no way Sancho will be getting that wages if he comes. Lastly, its gone from 700mill to 900mill now folks.

Utter bellend.:houllier:
He's right but for the wrong reasons.

Prices will drop significantly as a lot of clubs will be desperate for cash. The going rate will be lower and clubs will pay whatever that is but it won't be because it looks bad.

There's no chance anyone is going for 100m next window and it could be a while before prices get that stupid again.

Flying_Heckfish

It's getting to the point where we'd love either title tbh

No doubt we should have won more CLs when we were on top, but now we are't even in contention.

Son

I’d take a champions league before the Premier League most seasons. There’s no feeling like winning that.

Look at Real Madrid these past 6 or so years. Zero people care they’ve been bang average in the league because that side is now legendary. Despite you could argue City playing better football these past few years than they ever did. No one cares though.

Multiple Champions League wins you reach a pinnacle in world football a Prem League winner could only dream of because it’s a bigger deal worldwide and always has been / will be.

Even in the 50’s & 60’s everyone dreamed on the European Cup. It’s number one.

Merson we wrong about the money thing though. All United needed was some stability and we are doing just fine now. A couple more top signings and the team can challenge on all fronts fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I’d take a champions league before the Premier League most seasons. There’s no feeling like winning that.

Look at Real Madrid these past 6 or so years. Zero people care they’ve been bang average in the league because that side is now legendary. Despite you could argue City playing better football these past few years than they ever did. No one cares though.

Multiple Champions League wins you reach a pinnacle in world football a Prem League winner could only dream of because it’s a bigger deal worldwide and always has been / will be.

Even in the 50’s & 60’s everyone dreamed on the European Cup. It’s number one.

Merson we wrong about the money thing though. All United needed was some stability and we are doing just fine now. A couple more top signings and the team can challenge on all fronts fingers crossed.
Guessing you're not English, or you're relatively young, or both. ;)

Real Madrid have always been a 'look at me' club, they put all their efforts into winning it every season, having more European Cup/Champions League wins than everybody else is all that matters to them.

Man City fans would want to win it more than the League but only because they are desperate for fans of other major clubs in Europe to take them seriously(we still wouldn't), it's the same for all the other Sugar-Daddy clubs.

Worldwide maybe, but not in England with the exception of Liverpool.

Not sure about that, a lot of folk thought it was a Mickey Mouse cup and we could do without the extra fixtures.

lex talionis

Screw Merson. It's not my money so I don't care if the Glazers "need" to spend 70m, 700m or 7 billion, but what matters is bringing in the right players to address areas of need within a realistic budget during the 2020 summer transfer window. (Can't be bothered to think about the 2021 winter and summer transfer windows yet.)

If we can find the next brilliant at 7m, or have him in the youth ranks, do that. I have no idea what amount is required to bring in, or bring up, the talent required to put us on par with Liverpool for the PL trophy, assuming we go back into business in 20/21...which no one should count on as a certainty. But we can run with some guesstimate numbers (excluding wages):

Sancho 120m
Partey 60m
Grealish 60m (With or without bringing in JG, I feel good about PP staying at OT)

250m, delivering these three players (I'm actually ok with our CB options), should sufficiently strengthen the squad IMHO.

Son

Real Madrid have always been a 'look at me' club, they put all their efforts into winning it every season, having more European Cup/Champions League wins than everybody else is all that matters to them.

Man City fans would want to win it more than the League but only because they are desperate for fans of other major clubs in Europe to take them seriously(we still wouldn't), it's the same for all the other Sugar-Daddy clubs.

Not sure about that, a lot of folk thought it was a Mickey Mouse cup and we could do without the extra fixtures.
I’m 30 so I grew up in a time when United dominated English football like no other but in Europe we suffered. At least considering our old lofty standards at home haha.

For instance I’ve never seen us beat Real Madrid in a two legged tie in my life & I’m still dreaming till that day happens. Never experienced it.

The Champions League just has that magic I don’t really get from the Premier League. Paris last season was such a great night for example. Easily my pinnacle of our recent history.

I have a lot of respect for United fans who saw us go so long without winning the league however. If you grow up watching your team chase that dream I can imagine that’s what captured your imagination till this day.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

I'm 40 and a season ticket holder from Manchester. If I had to pick one.....Champions League. There's no feeling like it, it's magic.

It's hard to pick though because their isn't much in it, winning the league is massive also.

Lentwood

Just goes to show you're never as bad or good as people say you are

Last season City looked unbeatable, now they look like having to sign 4/5 players just to compete. We've had the likes of Merson say we need £700m and here we are roughly £125m (net) later and we look like a side going places

Any given club is only 2/3 good transfers or 2/3 bad transfers away from significantly improving or getting significantly worse

cruseofried

The football version of the bull market is about to go bear in a very big way and not before time. Continually buying that which you can't afford on hire purchase only gets you so far.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Why are we still subjected to him and the other skysports dinosaurs that spout inane drivel?
Its about time they fecked off.

Preggy99

Paul Merson honestly has to be the biggest Bell-End of a pundit in football. Every week the idiot predicts an Arsenal 3-0 win and Man Utd draw or loss. The guy is off his rocker and offers nothing.

Son

The guy is a nobody. I don’t even understand how he’s still on TV.

Hasn’t done a real job in years either so why should we respect him? These D list ex pro’s have their egos reinforced in punditry to the point they convince themselves they were once top players.

Arsenal old guard too so you know he has plenty of animosity towards us win lose or draw.

Denis' cuff

I think the CL is of a lesser value than it used to be due to clubs like Chelsea and Liverpool winning it when they are languishing in 4th place/not seriously competing for the title. Somebody referred to the 50s/60s/70s saying that it has always been the most coveted trophy but this was partly due to it being so difficult to qualify for, never mind win.

iHicksy

I wish sky would hire some intelligent / or more switched on footballers instead of the dregs of society.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I admire his willingness to open up about his demons but the guy chats more shit sober than he did when he was a drunk.

An impressive feat, really.

Coops73

Merson talks bollocks I’m surprised he can even say Manchester United, you’d get more sense from one of his warts.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Man Utd are the team to watch right now - on and off the pitch they're getting it right

When football eventually restarts, the team I'm looking forward to watching more than anyone else is Manchester United.

Because they were absolutely flying when we went into lockdown, winning eight of their last 11 games, scoring lots of goals and being undefeated since January. In fact, I'd say no-one was playing better than United before the enforced break in March.

Can they carry on where they left off? That's the 64 million dollar question but there are definite signs that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is starting to assemble a formidable squad at Old Trafford. And it's a young, improving one, which is something that can't really be said about the likes of Arsenal or even Manchester City.

United made good signings last summer bringing in Harry Maguire, Daniel James and Aaron Wan-Bissaka but it's Bruno Fernandes who really excites me. The £47m buy from Sporting Lisbon looks tailor-made for United and could prove to be one of the club's most important acquisitions in recent years. He hit the ground running, seamlessly slotting into midfield and playing with the confidence and authority of someone who'd been there for years. It's no coincidence that United's form improved dramatically when Fernandes came in.

No-one is enjoying the lack of football right now but I feel United are in a really good place. All of a sudden, no-one is speculating about Solskjaer's position and the club is getting good publicity again. There's talk of Jadon Sancho moving there in the summer, perhaps Harry Kane too. Kids such as Mason Greenwood and Brandon Williams look really players while of course Marcus Rashford, who was going great guns before his injury, will be fit again fairly soon.

I'm not saying United will necessarily be title contenders next season but they are certainly heading in the right direction and they'll be a lot closer to the top of the table than they have been in recent seasons.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-team-watch-right-21958100

Last edited:

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
I bet if you asked Merson how many zeros in 700 million he wouldn’t have a clue.

tenpoless

If We add 600m on top of what United currently have, maybe United will win the Champions league or even the World Cup. 700m will also get us a clone of Sir Alex.

It's not a joke amount. Must have pulled out the figure out of his arse.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The irony of the last few posters here criticising Merson.... after replying to the thread title and not his most recent comments.

He’s just said a lot of positive things about United. The link is about 5 posts above this one.

Wish Woody would abort the Sancho mission and listen to this oracle instead.
Yeah, the two positions we least need to address :lol:

He was a no mark player and is a no mark pundit. Sky must only employ him because they know people enjoy laughing at him.

Bojan11

These soccer Saturday and BT pundits just keep disrespecting Martial. I remember one of the BT clowns after Palace game asking Ole that we didn’t see Martial.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Yeah, the two positions we least need to address :lol:

He was a no mark player and is a no mark pundit. Sky must only employ him because they know people enjoy laughing at him.
He was a really exciting player to be fair.

In Rainbows

A lot of British pundits are saying we should replace Martial. They haven't got a clue.