Merson: "Man United need 700 million!"

Glorio

The irony of the last few posters here criticising Merson.... after replying to the thread title and not his most recent comments.

He’s just said a lot of positive things about United. The link is about 5 posts above this one.
You mean the post where apart from Bruno he acts like we only have English players, and completely ignores our joint top scorer?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Wish Woody would abort the Sancho mission and listen to this oracle instead.
How is this clown even swindling people at sky to pay him for his verbal diarrhoea?

As far as Chelsea goes, Merson feels Frank Lampard needs to invest in a centre-back and left-back this summer, and pinpointed Manchester City's John Stones as a potential signing, while Merse also feels City themselves may struggle to find a world class centre-half to improve their own defence.
Yeah Chelsea should buy Stones because they suck at defence who plays at City and City need to improve their own defence because no one at their disposal is good enough.

keithsingleton

Does anyone take Merson seriously?

I mean, literally, any one person?
Personally I like him as a pundit Rado. Being honest he's probably not that far off the market if we a could actually buy anyone. ( in a idea world :D )

Sancho £100 million
Kane £150/200 million knowing what that tight cnut Levy is like.
Neymar £150 million
VVD £130 million
Grealish £65 million

. Wishful thinking I know but wouldn't it be nice . :)

Ps...
On a side note a lot of the new pundits are awful. Can listen to Keane & Souness all day given the chance.

kiristao

Yeah Chelsea should buy Stones because they suck at defence who plays at City and City need to improve their own defence because no one at their disposal is good enough.
Precisely. The lack of logic in that is mind boggling. Unless, he thinks stones is a good CB but not suited for the Pep style of play but suited for Lampards system.

El Zoido

A lot of British pundits are saying we should replace Martial. They haven't got a clue.
They’re always months behind, they don’t watch us enough and I can sort of understand, but it’s still frustrating when players don’t get their due credit. DDG was still called a clown by the press for six months to a year after he became the best goalkeeper in the world. They’ll sit up and take notice of Martial eventually.

Siorac

Personally I like him as a pundit Rado. Being honest he's probably not that far off the market if we a could actually buy anyone. ( in a idea world :D )

Sancho £100 million
Neymar £150 million
VVD £130 million
Grealish £65 million

. Wishful thinking I know but would be nice wouldn't it. :)

Ps...
On a side note a lot of the new pundits are awful. Can listen to Keane & Souness all day given the chance.
Why the sudden drop in ambition after VVD? Instead of Grealish, you could have had De Bruyne there - as realistic as any of the others bar Sancho.

Siorac

Precisely. The lack of logic in that is mind boggling. Unless, he thinks stones is a good CB but not suited for the Pep style of play but suited for Lampards system.
Or he just thinks that Chelsea's defence are so much worse than City's that they should take anyone decent they can get.

Withnail

They’re always months behind, they don’t watch us enough and I can sort of understand, but it’s still frustrating when players don’t get their due credit. DDG was still called a clown by the press for six months to a year after he became the best goalkeeper in the world. They’ll sit up and take notice of Martial eventually.
This is the problem though. They are paid to talk about football and it seems like a lot of aren't watching enough of it.

Stacks

How is this clown even swindling people at sky to pay him for his verbal diarrhoea?

Literally makes no sense. Stones is not going to sure up their defence

keithsingleton

Why the sudden drop in ambition after VVD? Instead of Grealish, you could have had De Bruyne there - as realistic as any of the others bar Sancho.
Yeah I totally agree, they were just a couple of names that sprung to mind, but "he'll yeah" put him on. Mers is right then 700 million :lol:

RedStarUnited

This is the problem though. They are paid to talk about football and it seems like a lot of aren't watching enough of it.
In this age of digital content, they are paid to create headlines that will cause the biggest uproar. Its all about metrics and engagement now sadly.

Wreh

Supports
Arsenal
No they don't, they need a new keeper and holding midfielder.

lysglimt

Scout
Paul Merson honestly has to be the biggest Bell-End of a pundit in football. Every week the idiot predicts an Arsenal 3-0 win and Man Utd draw or loss. The guy is off his rocker and offers nothing.
Craig Burley for me - he makes Steve Nicol seem like a United-fan

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
You mean the post where apart from Bruno he acts like we only have English players, and completely ignores our joint top scorer?
You’ve quoted my post from May. Which isn’t related to his most recent comments made in July.

Chief123

I'll never forget the time when Merson said on sky sports news that West Ham should just sell Payet for £30m and go and buy Martial from utd for £20m.....my goodness, I was absolutely shocked at the nonsense coming out of his mouth. You could see the co-pundits even thinking with their silence "wtf are you on about?".......unbelievable Geoff!!!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/paul-merson-anthony-martial-dimitri-16965099

arthurka

Just buy PSG and Real Madrid, add Messi to the mix and maybe Bayern for good measure. That could probably get us competing again or similar to the all mighty Liverpool.

Merson is an idiot.

TheLord

Forget the Premier League, we can win the Champions League with a 300m investment.
Merson is nuts.

romufc

A lot of British pundits are saying we should replace Martial. They haven't got a clue.
I haven't seen one pundit who has actually rated him. Maybe Rio because he is excited about the front 3, other than that, they all seem to think we should replace him.

Mind you, that was the same with alot of our fan group before lockdown too.

If Martial continues next season, we will see pundits saying they've always thought he was good but he is showing it now, which is incorrect.

Martial has been the same all season. He started off very well then got injured, which halted his progress. He came back from injury and has not looked back, he is a terrific player,.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Merson's opinion is genuinely about as valid as any poster on here.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They don't watch us play unless they are covering the game. That much is clear.

There's an arrogance in pundits when it comes to fan opinions, but at least we watch every game and don't just spout cliches. Centre Forward is the last position we need to upgrade.

davidmichael

I’m surprised he even knows how to say Harry Kane, the blokes a plum.
I’d be just as surprised if Harry Kane can say Harry Kane, I don’t take anything Merson says seriously as the bloke has literally no idea what he’s talking about 99% of the time.

If Tuanzebe hadn't had such a horror season with injuries I think he’d have kicked on and would go into next season as Maguire’s first choice partner whilst Martial has developed a great partnership with Rashford that works perfectly with how Ole wants to play.

Kane might be a better centre forward and goalscorer but that doesn’t mean he’d be a better player for us, RVN was a better centre forward than Saha was BUT Saha’s style of play and attributes brought out the best in Ronaldo and Rooney just like Martial does in Rashford and others players so if I can see that why can’t an ex Premier League player ?.

Coops73

I’d be just as surprised if Harry Kane can say Harry Kane, I don’t take anything Merson says seriously as the bloke has literally no idea what he’s talking about 99% of the time.

If Tuanzebe hadn't had such a horror season with injuries I think he’d have kicked on and would go into next season as Maguire’s first choice partner whilst Martial has developed a great partnership with Rashford that works perfectly with how Ole wants to play.

Kane might be a better centre forward and goalscorer but that doesn’t mean he’d be a better player for us, RVN was a better centre forward than Saha was BUT Saha’s style of play and attributes brought out the best in Ronaldo and Rooney just like Martial does in Rashford and others players so if I can see that why can’t an ex Premier League player ?.
Agreed, Martial is right up there for my player of the season, I think he’s developed into a really good no.9 and his link up play with Bruno and Rashford has been excellent this season.

Harry Kane reminds me of Worzel Gummidge so if we really wanted him we’d only have to offer an aunt Sally and a cup of tea and a slice of cake which is cheaper than Sánchez.

el3mel

I don't get all the talk about Kane. Can't see him leaving Spurs any time soon, maybe ever actually.

Jerry Garcia

Some of these threads need to be closed down, it's pissing me off how much sensationalist bullshit is pervading the site.

There should be an Ole discussion, a potential new manager discussion, an ownership/structure discussion, a DOF discussion and then interesting players that could improve the side.

The rest is all piffles.
100% this!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't get all the talk about Kane. Can't see him leaving Spurs any time soon, maybe ever actually.
Nope.
And while it's a tricky one to call someone who is earning 100s of thousands of pounds dense, he is a bit though isn't he.
Why on earth sign that long term deal. It's totally tied him there until he's on the wane.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'll never forget the time when Merson said on sky sports news that West Ham should just sell Payet for £30m and go and buy Martial from utd for £20m.....my goodness, I was absolutely shocked at the nonsense coming out of his mouth. You could see the co-pundits even thinking with their silence "wtf are you on about?".......unbelievable Geoff!!!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/paul-merson-anthony-martial-dimitri-16965099
He certainly struggles with realistic numbers doesn't he!

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Merson was a half decent player but I can't believe he gets paid for spouting inanities on football. He's in the Robbie Savage category.

Superunknown

Of course Ole or any manager would love a transfer budget of £700million. Imagine if somebody gave you a blank cheque and send you could do any renovations you want to your house. You'd start looking at EVERYTHING, even if it was already making the bits that are already fairly decent even better.

Realistically, we have to remember that not all of our signings are going to come in one window, so cumulatively the value over successive transfer windows over a longer period of time may end up close to that. Some players will work out, some won't. Even just looking at a new goalkeeper (if we were to invest in a new keeper and not give Henderson a go or stick with De Gea), a new centreback, a new CM and a new winger, that's four players who could each cost more than £50 million each, so that's £200million + right there in one window. The question is whether our owners/management will be able to bankroll that for successive seasons. My gut instinct is that's a definite no. We may be able to sort out two of those positions and then have to go for some cheaper options, or hold it off for another window.

Dahmmy

Sancho £100 million
Neymar £150 million
VVD £130 million
Grealish £65 million

. Wishful thinking I know but wouldn't it be nice . :)

Ps...
you missed out Messi :)