Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shahzy

The buildup to the goals is what gets me going. Ronaldo does not deliver in that department. And you need both - the buildup and the finishing.
This is what I don't understand from people who do this debate to death.

Firstly Messi being 'obviously' better is your opinion. It doesn't make it 'obvious' that's a wrong choice of word

Secondly not just you, but most on the Messi side of the fence seem to forget that they are comparing to 33/34 year old Ronaldo which is different player than a 25-28 year old Ronaldo who did infact play in the build up as well as the scoring component. So by saying he ''does not deliver" means a person is looking at this whole who's better debate in a short sighted 1 point of time manner.

For something as large as a This player is better than That player statement, wouldn't it be essential to look at the whole body of work?
Ie: in a few years time when Messi looses his legs and can't run and becomes either a full midfielemi or a full attacker will you forget that used to be able to do both as well? Ofcourse not.
Same should be the case here with Ronaldo. Unfortunately no one can beat father time

shahzy

Come on now. Messi has destroyed some of the best english clubs in the CL already. He would be fine in the PL
When people say "Let's see Messi in the Prem" I don't think they question his ability against the good teams. They question his ability against the shit teams that use roughhouse tactics and long balls. The stokes of years gone by etc.

It would be like Messi playing Sergio Ramos' every second week. And we all know how much if a cnut Ramos is and the shit he tries on Messi during a game

Canagel

Ronaldos mentality is elite elite. thats infectious and inspired his teammate when it's going pear shaped- his head doesn't drop. you see the fire in his eyes. messi is a better footballer and easily the more talented but when the pressure is at the most extreme you'd be daft to bet against ronaldo.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When people say "Let's see Messi in the Prem" I don't think they question his ability against the good teams. They question his ability against the shit teams that use roughhouse tactics and long balls. The stokes of years gone by etc.

It would be like Messi playing Sergio Ramos' every second week. And we all know how much if a cnut Ramos is and the shit he tries on Messi during a game
Yeah and look at Messi's scoring record vs Ramos or Atletico (another rough team).

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Would anyone be surprised if Messi fecks off to South America in a few years while Ronaldo is still playing at the highest level until 40 years old? I think Messi has a higher technical level to his play, and I prefer Messi to Ronaldo, but Ronaldo has an endless hunger and desire.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I can proudly say that I've changed my opinion on this topic about two years ago. the change going from Messi being a better player and a more successful player to Messi being more talented, but Ronaldo being a greater player. There's some hope yet.

My secret is not giving a feck about either of 'em.
Honestly I have no problem if one has a preference for either. My problem has always been a set of Messi fans (plenty in this thread) who don’t consider Ronaldo as his peer. And then create loads of new threads saying how player X from 20 years ago is better than Ronaldo while Messi is undisputed best because of certain intangible things Ronaldo doesn’t possess.

Its tedious and the evergoing cycle of this ultra-lengthy thread.

Aloysius's Back 3

Messi plays against an English team once a season at max & even that it's more like once every 2 seasons.

Sure he performs in them - sometimes but to pretend that he can do the same thing everyday against different teams from the PL or the Serie A is just made up rubbish. Especially without Barcelona being consistently one of the best teams in the world if not the best with players around him that consistently make the grade.
It's an assumption because there is simply no proof :D

His legacy is built around a couple CL's and goals against getafe.

Ronald's legacy is based on teams like Chelsea, Barcelona, Athletico Madrid, Juventus, Napoli, Arsenal, Liverpool, Bayern Munich etc - He has played against such teams much more regularly because he has tested himself in leagues and always come out on top.

My friends - that is not an assumption.

GOAT was a United Player and Legend :devil:

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

Yeah, and Messi has never destroyed a team led by Ramos, nor have we ever seen a team using rough tactics with long balls and harsh defenders.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Football fans fickleness never seems to amaze me. Juve could go out next round and the opinion will swing again

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Would anyone be surprised if Messi fecks off to South America in a few years while Ronaldo is still playing at the highest level until 40 years old? I think Messi has a higher technical level to his play, and I prefer Messi to Ronaldo, but Ronaldo has an endless hunger and desire.
This is the answer to this thread.

Messi is more talented, but Ronaldo surpassed him with his endless desire and hunger.

shahzy

Yeah and look at Messi's scoring record vs Ramos or Atletico (another rough team).
That's fine. But doing it over and over again against cnuts like Ryan Shawcross would piss anybody off. For all the 'Messi is an Alien' speak, at the end of the day he's human and playing against that dross would be mentally and physically draining.

Again not saying he wouldn't do well, it would just take a toll

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK

:lol::lol:

Andy Gray is that you?

Messi would tear them apart.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Honestly I have no problem if one has a preference for either. My problem has always been a set of Messi fans (plenty in this thread) who don’t consider Ronaldo as his peer. And then create loads of new threads saying how player X from 20 years ago is better than Ronaldo while Messi is undisputed best because of certain intangible things Ronaldo doesn’t possess.

Its tedious and the evergoing cycle of this ultra-lengthy thread.
I think if tonight proved anything it's that both players have a few fans that are beyond cringey.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's fine. But doing it over and over again against cnuts like Ryan Shawcross would piss anybody off. For all the 'Messi is an Alien' speak, at the end of the day he's human and playing against that dross would be mentally and physically draining.

Again not saying he wouldn't do well, it would just take a toll
At the end of the day we're all speculating, Shawcross and his likes would get booked right, left and center trying to contain.
He would be too much for many of the stupid CBs and midfielders of the PL.

cyberman

What bothers me is people forget the age difference between the two. Under performing at 34 proves this and that over his career, it was all about Madrids midfield servicing him etc while Messi at 31 confirms everything about his.
Ronaldo at Messi age was just about to propel Madrid to their 1st CL win out of 3. That's ridiculous if you think about it. On the flip side it's scary to think that Messi last meaningful imprint on Cl football was 4 years ago. This year is so vital for Messi imo or his Cl career could have died a death after 27 years of age.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Football fans fickleness never seems to amaze me. Juve could go out next round and the opinion will swing again
Very true. Only way to settle this is wait until their careers end.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Andy Gray is that you?

You know the Messi v Ronaldo debate has reached new lows when you're arguing with someone about whether or not Lionel Messi could handle playing against Burnley and Huddersfield.

shahzy

Andy Gray is that you?

I only have 2 replies left today so I have to multiquote
I wrote the reply above to Koroux. It's not that he wouldn't do well, it would just be mentally and physically draining and would take a toll on his body. Ie: can't do it for too long.
It's really not a far fetched train of thought

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Nah, it'll be the rest of Juventus to blame.

Peyroteo already set that in motion when he said Juve's squad isn't that good. Apparently Bonucci is shit too.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Messi has stopped performing like Ronaldo did today in the biggest games a long time ago.

shahzy

At the end of the day we're all speculating, Shawcross and his likes would get booked right, left and center trying to contain.
He would be too much for many of the stupid CBs and midfielders of the PL.
Agreed. It's all just guesswork and I'll be first one to admit that. I'm not saying this as a Ronaldo vs Messi thing either, so not trying to rile up any side of the arguement because personally I'm sick to death with them.

Just happy there are less Hatchet Men in the Prem these days :lol:

Red Stone

When their careers are over Messi's highlight reel will be the most beautiful ever, but Ronaldo's will be so much more spectacular. Not only does he have a variety of incredible goals that surpasses Messi, like his Portsmouth free kick, his Roma header, his long range blast against Porto, his bicycle against Juve and so on, but the narrative of some of his greatest ever performances are like taken out of an epic movie script. It just doesn't seem real considering how often he does it. I wouldn't be surprised if he's seen as the better player in the future simply because of how much more dramatic his career has been, as well as the fact that he has the statistics and the records to support the narrative.

I still think Messi is the best footballer ever to have lived, but there's something about the way Ronaldo does what he does. I don't think the best player and the greatest player necessarily have to be the same person. In terms of greatness Ronaldo has been ahead for a while now, and he keeps widening the gap.

Revan

Assumptionman
Both of em are lucky they haven't come up against Matthijs de Ligt yet honestly.
Why do you think Ronaldo left Madrid in the first place? He predicted before this game that he will score a hat-trick, he might have well known that Real was going to face Ajax and chose the easy option.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ronaldo has scored less serie a goals than 36 year old Quagliarella

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Is it time to change the poll to 51-49 yet?

SportingCP96

Supports
Ronaldo has scored less serie a goals than 36 year old Quagliarella
Want a cookie? First year their new team new coach 34 years old adapting to new things and on a team which besides tonight and last weekend never scored more then 2 goals in a game because they are known to be defensive.

Revan

Assumptionman
While I agree Ronaldo is greater than Messi, the notion that Messi wouldn't be able to do it in the premier league is hilarious :lol:
He destroyed multiple times United, City and Arsenal, but could he perform against Burnley and Soton?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I only have 2 replies left today so I have to multiquote
I wrote the reply above to Koroux. It's not that he wouldn't do well, it would just be mentally and physically draining and would take a toll on his body. Ie: can't do it for too long.
It's really not a far fetched train of thought
Why would you waste all your replies on this thread. It's like having a pack of matches and using them all to set an active vulcano on fire.

that's a shite analogy, but I can't think of anything better. Help me out here.

Last edited:

SportingCP96

Supports
He destroyed multiple times United, City and Arsenal, but could he perform against Burnley and Soton?
Its not about that its about how he would perform in a new team coach tactics players surroundings. Instead of being in the safety net of the camp nou.

Status
Not open for further replies.