Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Rado_N, Jan 20, 2015.

?

Messi or Ronaldo

1. Messi

2. Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jun 11, 2019

Zehner Full Member

Supports:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Because it's the very same school of thought. Call it clutch or whatever you want, it's all the same superficial and cringeworthy nonsense to me. Typical pub talk. The same sort of argument that was made against Klopp before he won the CL and is suddenly nowhere to be heard.

Deeming Zidane and Maradona mentally stronger is even more cringeworthy and revisionism at it's best. Messi decided many more games at the highest level than both of them combined.
  2. Jun 11, 2019

MJJ New Member

You are arguing with a guy who said casemiro was part of the worlds best midfield for the two years he wasnt at Madrid. That's how far he will go to hype up messi.
  3. Jun 11, 2019

2mufc0 Full Member

It's only superficial to you because Messi lacks it.

And yes Messi decided a lot of games, but missing in lot of the biggest games for club and country in recent years.
  4. Jun 11, 2019

Zehner Full Member

Supports:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Has there ever been anything with substance coming from you in this discussion? Judging by your posts I'm not even sure you're able to explain the offside rule.
  5. Jun 11, 2019

2mufc0 Full Member

They also miss the bits where he was strolling around the pitch and standing around hands on hips while his team needs a goal, he literally gave up.
  6. Jun 11, 2019

Zehner Full Member

Supports:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    I don't care about Messi on a personal level. Once he regresses I'll stop watching him. Football isn't really about identificatiom for me, it's about the sport, and I argue for Messi because he's simply levels above everyone I've seen so far. Go to the Hazard, Kroos, Neymar, Özil, Havertz or whatever thread and you'll see the same kind of arguments from me. I just can't stand people downplaying good players because they can't see past trophies and goals, especially not if they attribute their 'failures' to some soft and fully intangible stuff like motivation or mindset. It reminds me of all the shallow pundits that talk about these things because they lack the knowledge to say anything of real substance.

You know what? Every player "failed" at big ges (if playing like Messi in the second leg against Liverpool or in the final against Germany and Chile equals failimg in your opinion) and considering Messi's trophy cabinet, few plaxers failed as rarely as Messi. You do realize now hoe stupid these arguments are?
  7. Jun 11, 2019

MJJ New Member

Calling you out on your bs was pretty useful. :lol:
  8. Jun 11, 2019

VanKenny New Member

This really isnt up to debate :lol:.

The ones that know the right answer and prefer Messi only "debate" because its honestly fun, like arguing with your 7 year old kid who is a fan of Batman about who's stronger, Batman or Superman.

The kid will always say Batman, and will make up whatever kind of crazy scenario where Batman could defeat Superman. Maybe he invents a new kryptonite weapon, maybe he builds a robot to take him on, maybe he shouts at him from the bench, who cares there is always a way.

At the end of the day, and deep inside, we all know the answer, even Batman fans. Even people from Gotham that may have the username "Gothamteo" in forums know it even if they dont admit it.
  9. Jun 11, 2019

2mufc0 Full Member

It's not downplaying the player I already said he's one of the GOATs and a brilliant player. But when you want to put him up as the no. 1 of all time every aspect of his game will be dissected, even if it reveals uncomfortable truths.
  10. Jun 11, 2019

Zehner Full Member

Supports:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Dissected?

'Barca went out, Messi must have bottled it"

"Real won, Cristiano is so decisive"

Hands down to this truly breathtaking in depth analysis.
  11. Jun 11, 2019

Mogget Full Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    This perfectly applies to so many posters in this thread yet it didn't even get a response :lol:

Surely you people must have better things going on in your lives? How can one be so invested in a football player who doesn't even know you exist?
  12. Jun 11, 2019

Cal? CR7 fan

:lol: There we go again with the Messi brigade, when all else fails, come up with ludicrous statements.
  13. Jun 11, 2019

Cal? CR7 fan

Barca/Argentina lost.

It's never Messi's fault.

Barca/Argentina win.

It's all Messi, no one else did anything, he created everything and saved all the shots.

Miss anything?
  14. Jun 11, 2019

2mufc0 Full Member

I didn't mention Real or Ronaldo, seems like someone is insecure.

Maybe this is why you completely missed the point, sticking your fingers in your ears won't make it go away.
  15. Jun 11, 2019

2mufc0 Full Member

Must be trolling.
  16. Jun 11, 2019

Pocho Gayer than Marcosdeto (according to Marcos, who sh

We are very educated people.
  17. Jun 11, 2019

SirAF Ageist

We’ve been wasting our time, close the thread and delete the forum.
  18. Jun 11, 2019

Zehner Full Member

Supports:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Messi, Hazard, Neymar, de Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Salah, Sterling, Eriksen, Modric are all clearly superior creators and there are many more than a fair shout. So yeah, hardly a bold statement to suggest that Ronaldo is not top 10 in the area 'attacking contribution not considering goals' .

Then insert whoever you consider not a bottler like Messi. I was pointing out that the term 'dissect' is quite ironic since your analysis is almost as superficial as it gets. If you really take a very close and in depth look at Messi's career it is impossible to be of the same opinion as you are.
  19. Jun 11, 2019

2mufc0 Full Member

Not really, you just chose to ignore the glaring evidence, pattern of poor performances in the biggest/toughest games for almost 5 years now.
  20. Jun 12, 2019

Zehner Full Member

Supports:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    You know which pattern I see? Apparently it's only a big match if Barca loses it. The countless big games he decided in the last five years are obviously not included. I mean, if his team hadn't fecked it up completely defensively (!) this CL season it would be a different story acvordi g to your logic. You effectively judge the individual player based on other players' performances. Just let that sink in, because no matter how you reason it, it ultimately comes down to this. Hs could've played the exact same game but if other players had performed better, your opinion of Messi as an individual would be higher. Your criterion of joice is something he has no influence on. Nice.
  21. Jun 12, 2019

Cal? CR7 fan

Yet except Messi (out of the CL), basically none of them has even close to the assists figures that Ronaldo has.

It is a ridiculous statement and you know it.
  22. Jun 12, 2019

Cal? CR7 fan

Oh the irony... Ronaldo scored all the goals against Ajax yet you were more than happy getting all giddy about how he failed this season. Somehow the same logic of "if his team mates didn't bottle it" doesn't apply?
  23. Jun 12, 2019

mdvmia New Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    The way Ronaldo's fanboys constantly change the criteria for judging players to suit their narrative is hilarious. They'll say that "Ronaldo has had a better international career than Messi because he won two trophies while Messi lost four finals"....but then they'll also say Messi has had better teammates internationally even though his teammates also lost four finals and Ronaldo's teammates also won two trophies.

It's the same thing they do at club level. Last season, Messi dominated Ronaldo domestically, but they said Ronaldo had the better season because he was better in the CL knockout stages and won the CL. Ronaldo's teammates also won the CL and performed better than Messi's in the knockout stages, but people like @Peyroteo still decided that Messi had better teammates because of.....?

In the Messi/Ronaldo debate, they focus exclusively on CL knockout matches and constantly downplay the importance of domestic play to suit their agenda. However, they'll also hype up Suarez as this amazing striker that Messi gets to play with even though he has 1 CL goal in the past two seasons. If the CL knockout stages are so important in judging players, then how do they justify saying Suarez is better than Benzema and Mandzukic when the latter two have been far better in those matches over recent years? That's one of the more obvious contradictions, but it's obvious in their arguments all the time comparing the support each player has had.

Basically, they judge Ronaldo's teammates and Messi by their worst qualities, judge Messi's teammates and Ronaldo by their best qualities, and then get all triggered whenever someone calls them out on their nonsense.
  24. Jun 12, 2019

RedRonaldo Full Member

Funny it always seems this logic only applies to Messi. Every loss is his teammates fault, every win is all down to Messi.
  25. Jun 12, 2019

Zehner Full Member

Supports:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    I didn't, in fact I defended Cristiano when Juve went out and said he wasn't to blame, so stop accusing me of things I didn't say, Donald. Not everybody is as subjective as you.
  26. Jun 12, 2019

Tostao_80 New Member

Your theory that having more assists means you are more creative has been debunked before. You must di better.
    https://sillyseason.com/football/top-10-assist-kings-in-football-europe-past-5-seasons-46822/
    Thomas Muller had the 6th most assists in Europes top 5 leagues between 13 and 18. This is more than Hazaard and De Bruyne. So your logic would be, Muller is more creative than the latter two. Yet, we all know that is blatantly not true. Do you remember a guy called Andres Iniesta? He was quite handy if i recall. 65 assists in league and CL play between 09/10 and 17/18, 9 seasons and a paltry 7 assists on average. That's a very low amount. But guess what, he goes down in history as one of the most creative players of the last 20 years. Assists doesnt necessarily mean more creative.
  27. Jun 12, 2019

Moby Dick who hates the homeless

Yep, stopped taking his posts seriously a long while back, was pretty obvious from the off.
  28. Jun 12, 2019

Zehner Full Member

Supports:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Glad you don't, since that would mean I have to reconsider my opinion, "kiddo". If you guys really think Cristiano's contribution aside from goals is better than any of Messi's, Hazard's, Neymar's, de Bruyne's, the Silva's, Sterling's, Salah's (etc..) there's really no light at the end of the tunnel. Always impressive how sympathies can affect perception.
  29. Jun 12, 2019

krautrøck New Member

Supports:
    FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
  30. Jun 12, 2019

abdo99 Full Member

So doesn't this prove Messi is better? If Messi fans feels very strongly to not entertain a debate why is Ronaldo fans not doing the same and admits it's not slam dunk?
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  31. Jun 12, 2019

SirAF Ageist

No.

That’s like saying Trump fans are right since they are more fierce and refuse to entertain that they might be wrong.
  32. Jun 12, 2019

Cal? CR7 fan

Not at all, just because one group is more vocal doesn't make them right.

Brexit rings a bell?
  33. Jun 12, 2019

oneniltothearsenal Caf's Milton Friedman (and Arse aficionado) Scout

Supports:
    Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
    Indeed.

1. 1676
      Cal?
    2. 1074
      Peyroteo
  34. Jun 12, 2019

Zehner Full Member

Supports:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    No, it's not. Trump voters are more fierce because Trump naturally attracts fierce people unwilling to admit they're wrong. They vote for him because they are more fierce, not the other way round. Unless you want to suggest that Messi attracts the same kind of people with his football, your argument don't make sense. There's no reason to estimate that the group that supports Messi consists of different political and demographic clusters than Cristiano's since they both attract people across all nations and societal segments.
  35. Jun 12, 2019

SirAF Ageist

Since 2015. Look who's third and has only been here for a year.
  36. Jun 12, 2019

Saffron New Member

What a surprise a Ronaldo fan would use cherry picking to fit a pre-conceived narrative :rolleyes:
  37. Jun 12, 2019

MJJ New Member

What a surprise a messi fan will use stats without any context to them to win an argument.:rolleyes:
  38. Jun 12, 2019

SirAF Ageist

Calma..
  39. Jun 12, 2019

Saffron New Member

I don’t think you’ll want to be bringing up Brexit at all since the similarities are not flattering for your side.

On one side we have the experts (economical and football wise) who overwhelmingly oppose Brexit and prefer Messi. And on the other we have the brutish hordes who support Brexit and Ronaldo. The Brexit Bus might as well have said ”3 CLs in a row”.

Of all the high profile, neutral pundits with actual footballing acumen, the overwhelming majority prefer Messi.
  40. Jun 12, 2019

SirAF Ageist

Behave :lol:

*looks at your history*

Jesus, do you post in other threads?