• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
And yet just about every other major coach/player always chooses Messi by a wide margin

It’s not about winning the NT argument, as bad as Ronaldo NT may have been early in his career they were never as dysfunctional as what Messi has had in recent years. There is zero midfield, zero
Defense.

And put Messi on Liverpool, man city,Juventus, Bayern Munich and be would be fine. Ronaldo bounces around from the biggest clubs of their respective leagues. People act like he’s dragging Norwich to titles.

The overall consensus by most has Messi ahead of Ronaldo
Only club Messi would slot in is City because Pep plays the same system.

Madrid were not the best team in Spain when he came neither were they for the majority of the time he was there.

Dysfunctional? 9/10 Portugal always got second in there groups behind the likes of Denmark and Poland and always having to go through Playoffs.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Ya no set he won nothing look at his team.

He still took that team to a semi final of a Euro. and constantly qualified them to major tournaments on his own. At 19 he was one of the key players that Portugal went to the Final scoring goals in both the Quarter and Semi Finals of the tournament.

So now AGUERO is not world class:lol::lol:

Did you see Portugal in euro 16? shambles. They only got out the group cause of Ronnie. Round of 16 the shot that led to the goal...Ronnie. Penalty shootout vs Poland that's at random but I am sure everyone has seen the video of him inspiring Moutinho like a true LEADER and Captain. Semi finals...Ronnie and Finals he got intentionally injured.
Took his team to a semi of the Euros, that's certainly less impressive than taking your team to multiple Copa America finals, is it not?

I'm not denying Ronaldo's importance to his team as he'd be instrumental for any team in the world. It's just my opninion that he's had a better team and strategy in place than Messi in Argentina. It probably helps that Ronaldo is able to function in more different set-ups than Messi, i.e. he adapts better to less ideal circumstances. That doesn't mean that Messi hasn't been good for Argentina either, they'd be comically bad without him.

And no, the version of Aguero while playing for Argentina is definitely not world class, you'd know that and wholeheartedly agree with me if you'd seen his recent performances, going over a timespan of more than two years now.

SportingCP96

Supports
Took his team to a semi of the Euros, that's certainly less impressive than taking your team to multiple Copa America finals, is it not?

I'm not denying Ronaldo's importance to his team as he'd be instrumental for any team in the world. It's just my opninion that he's had a better team and strategy in place than Messi in Argentina. It probably helps that Ronaldo is able to function in more different set-ups than Messi, i.e. he adapts better to less ideal circumstances. That doesn't mean that Messi hasn't been good for Argentina either, they'd be comically bad without him.

And no, the version of Aguero while playing for Argentina is definitely not world class, you'd know that and wholeheartedly agree with me if you'd seen his recent performances, going over a timespan of more than two years now.
Ya of Course going to multiple Copas is "better" but is context. Ronaldo made Portugal over achieve all of these years. Bar 2016 we have Never won a major competition ever. Nor have we ever been favorites ever. Our best ever finish at a WC was a semi final. Since Ronaldo came we have our most consecutive good performances and qualifications.

Argentina have won big trophies and are regular favorites in the Copa and WC. You cant compare leading Argentina with WC players and leading Portugal. We were never the favorites for anything while Argentina were. Portugal are perennial OVERachievers based on the quality of there teams.

Thats why the "having to win a WC argument is flawed" because Portugal have no chance compared to all of these much better countries.

Which makes it even more impressive we won the Euro.

SportingCP96

Supports
So one of Portugal's 3 best players then?
You can Make a case Rui was up there with Ronaldo because we were shambolic in defense and He had to make save after save. So if I had to rank it

1.Ronaldo/Rui
2.Pepe/Nani

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Ronaldo played for some of the biggest clubs of all time in United and and Madrid with some of the greatest players of their generation.

Ronaldo couldn’t save this current Argentina side. Have you watched them? They are completely dysfunctional. When Ronaldo plays poorly in the finals like more than half his UCL finals and missing the euro final and nations league final he was poor his teams still win. I can’t think of any other major player who can go missing in as many finals and still come away with silverware every time.

Portugal’s NT is much more
Cohesive than Argentina. Even without Ronaldo is favor Portugal to beat this Argentina side.

So yeah, Messi is still the goat, playing for one of the most dysfunctional NT of all time doesn’t change that.
:lol:

And what has Messi been playing for? Stockport United?

The guy has played in a once in a generation Barca side for a majority of his career and an absolute world class Argentina side for the most of it. Maybe if he didn't bother selecting players for the NT side he could benefit them?

Anyway no use arguing. It's just being dishonest if you think Argentina is some big disadvantage while Portugal is easy coasting. Not to mention what happened to Madrid right after Ronaldo left.

Argentina would benefit a lot from Ronaldo. At this stage, they'd benefit if Messi just sat it out.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You can Make a case Rui was up there with Ronaldo because we were shambolic in defense and He had to make save after save. So if I had to rank it

1.Ronaldo/Rui
2.Pepe/Nani
Pepe has to be over Ronaldo, Pepe even got player of the tournament

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

The guy has played in a once in a generation Barca side for a majority of his career and an absolute world class Argentina side for the most of it. Maybe if he didn't bother selecting players for the NT side he could benefit them?

Anyway no use arguing. It's just being dishonest if you think Argentina is some big disadvantage while Portugal is easy coasting. Not to mention what happened to Madrid right after Ronaldo left.

Argentina would benefit a lot from Ronaldo. At this stage, they'd benefit if Messi just sat it out.
Never once did I say Portugal was easy coasting.

And hilarious to think Argentina would benefit with Ronaldo. People on here were complaining about Juventus midfield as an excuse to why Juventus crashed out to Ajax and you think he’d fare better with a team comfortably worse than Juventus in this Argentina squad?

Ronaldo goes missing in the NT finals or is injured and his teams still get trophies. He goes missing in some UCL finals and his teams still get trophies. That aspect is always a luxury where you can be poor on the biggest stage and still get rewarded with silverware every single time.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Ya of Course going to multiple Copas is "better" but is context. Ronaldo made Portugal over achieve all of these years. Bar 2016 we have Never won a major competition ever. Nor have we ever been favorites ever. Our best ever finish at a WC was a semi final. Since Ronaldo came we have our most consecutive good performances and qualifications.

Argentina have won big trophies and are regular favorites in the Copa and WC. You cant compare leading Argentina with WC players and leading Portugal. We were never the favorites for anything while Argentina were. Portugal are perennial OVERachievers based on the quality of there teams.

Thats why the "having to win a WC argument is flawed" because Portugal have no chance compared to all of these much better countries.

Which makes it even more impressive we won the Euro.
They're favourites because of their historic status. Every football fan and their dog knew they had no chance in Russia last year nor this year in Brazil.

I also rejected the "with world class players" argument two posts ago and you didn't comment on it. Messi has never had any legitimate world class goalkeeper, defender or midfielder to play with as far as I can remember.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Messi has never had any legitimate world class goalkeeper, defender or midfielder to play with as far as I can remember.
Mascherano (imo Arg best player in 2014 just like Pepe was Por best in the Euros)

SportingCP96

Supports
Never once did I say Portugal was easy coasting.

And hilarious to think Argentina would benefit with Ronaldo. People on here were complaining about Juventus midfield as an excuse to why Juventus crashed out to Ajax and you think he’d fare better with a team comfortably worse than Juventus in this Argentina squad?

Ronaldo goes missing in the NT finals or is injured and his teams still get trophies. He goes missing in some UCL finals and his teams still get trophies. That aspect is always a luxury where you can be poor on the biggest stage and still get rewarded with silverware every single time.
Rewarded? How about ignoring that he carried all those teams to the finals?

SportingCP96

Supports
They're favourites because of their historic status. Every football fan and their dog knew they had no chance in Russia last year nor this year in Brazil.

I also rejected the "with world class players" argument two posts ago and you didn't comment on it. Messi has never had any legitimate world class goalkeeper, defender or midfielder to play with as far as I can remember.
Otamendi? Mascherano?

K13

The once in a generation team which since Messi started in 2004 have lost many important players including the likes of Iniesta & Xavi yet they still won the league by a canter this season and got to the semi finals of the Champions league? Messi scored 51 goals and assisted 19 so still pretty special considering this is not the Barcelona of old.

Argentina our poor. They have forward players but that is it. How they got to the WC final in 2014 is still a mystery but Messi was voted player of the tournament. Whether you think he should have been - my personal feeling is that he got 4 MOM awards on the way to the final so perhaps deserved it. My choice was Robin Van Persie but that is more about me not giving the little genius Messi his due.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

In fairness mascherano was amazing in 2014

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Mascherano (imo Arg best player in 2014 just like Pepe was Por best in the Euros)
In fairness mascherano was amazing in 2014
He was very good in 2014 yes, but 2014 was also when they reached the final in the World Cup. It's a stretch to really call him world class though imo but fair enough if you consider him one - that's still only one player in 8 positions that he had which can be considered world class during all of his international career.

Otamendi? Mascherano?
:lol: Thanks for proving my point!

SportingCP96

Supports
You can't read, can you?
He is and if he is not you have had a luxury of strikers to choose from. The worst Aguero is still better then the best of ANY striker we have or have had.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
He is and if he is not you have had a luxury of strikers to choose from. The worst Aguero is still better then the best of ANY striker we have or have had.
Football isn't played on paper, it's not just picking the best players - Argentina's front three has been dysfunctional for years. Unless you think Messi should also think instead of the manager, there's only so much he can do (and has done).

Can also be read as Version playing with Messi wasn't world class, if we are using the Barca fans line of argumentation.
Are you implying that Aguero is shit for Argentina because of Messi?

SportingCP96

Supports
Ever Banega, mascherano, Biglia,

WC 2014 Rojo Garay Demi and Zabaleta was better then any backline Portugal had since 2010.

SportingCP96

Supports
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Give it a rest mate.
I am saying compared to Miguel Veloso? is that even a debate?

Are you going to ignore that I just shut down your whole arguments about the defense when compared to Portugal?

The only player we had in midfield better then Mascherano or Biglia was Moutinho up until 2016?

laugh more.

shamans

The once in a generation team which since Messi started in 2004 have lost many important players including the likes of Iniesta & Xavi yet they still won the league by a canter this season and got to the semi finals of the Champions league? Messi scored 51 goals and assisted 19 so still pretty special considering this is not the Barcelona of old.

Argentina our poor. They have forward players but that is it. How they got to the WC final in 2014 is still a mystery but Messi was voted player of the tournament. Whether you think he should have been - my personal feeling is that he got 4 MOM awards on the way to the final so perhaps deserved it. My choice was Robin Van Persie but that is more about me not giving the little genius Messi his due.
They wouldn't be in the WC if Higuin hadn't helped them qualify. No one mentions that but everyone talks of it as some sort of Messi vs the world (not to mention Di Maria was also red hot back then)

SportingCP96

Supports
They wouldn't be in the WC if Higuin hadn't helped them qualify. No one mentions that but everyone talks of it as some sort of Messi vs the world (not to mention Di Maria was also red hot back then)
Messi needed Postiga or Almeida mate.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I am saying compared to Miguel Veloso? is that even a debate?

Are you going to ignore that I just shut down your whole arguments about the defense when compared to Portugal?

The only player we had in midfield better then Mascherano or Biglia was Moutinho up until 2016?

laugh more.
I am not, nor have I ever been, comparing anything or anyone to Portugal so I don't know why you suddenly are? And you weren't saying "compared to Miguel Veloso", you were just randomly naming Argentinian players ffs. Cédric, Pepe, Fonte, Guerreiro > that 2014 Argentina defence as well by a country mile.

It's actually insane to expect an objective discussion about this with someone from Portugal so I don't even know why I bother.

Moby

Dick
Are you implying that Aguero is shit for Argentina because of Messi?
Like I said, that's the Barca/Messi fans line of argumentation.

- Players perform well in a team with Messi: Messi is the reason that elevated their performances.
- Players (who otherwise our world class multiple PL winners) perform like dogshit next to Messi - Messi is the victim of the entire team, management, country, global warming, etc.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

- Players perform well in a team with Messi: Messi is the reason that elevated their performances.
- Players (who otherwise our world class multiple PL winners) perform like dogshit next to Messi - Messi is the victim of the entire team, management, country, global warming, etc.
Shocker: neither of them are true.

shamans

Exactly. Useless to argue against because they say "Messi is obviously the better player, just look at him" so they will always find an excuse to why he doesn't perform well.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Exactly. Useless to argue against because they say "Messi is obviously the better player, just look at him" so they will always find an excuse to why he doesn't perform well.
Messi can still be a better player than Ronaldo even if he hasn't performed as well on the international stage though (which is debatable in itself). I don't know why the two discussions have to be inherently connected.

SportingCP96

Supports
I am not, nor have I ever been, comparing anything or anyone to Portugal so I don't know why you suddenly are? And you weren't saying "compared to Miguel Veloso", you were just randomly naming Argentinian players ffs.

It's actually insane to expect an objective discussion about this with someone from Portugal so I don't even know why I bother.
No the debate is Argentina vs Portugal. That is what we have been discussing. We have been comparing both of there national teams to see which player had more or less help or better or worse team.

Your argument was the defence was bad. But they are better then Portugal’s defence for the better part of there whole careers. Your argument is the midfield but yet again they have had a better midfield then Portugal for the majority of there careers. I know you won’t dare to argue about the attack because we know who had a better attack.

So wtf is your argument? This notion of poor Messi Argentina is bad makes no sense.

Also ya you are talking to someone who knows more about the Portuguese national team then you do where as you are not even from Argentina and are just trying to defend Messi.

So once again what is your argument?

shamans

Messi can still be a better player than Ronaldo even if he hasn't performed as well on the international stage though (which is debatable in itself). I don't know why the two discussions have to be inherently connected.

That's where I disagree. Not performing well with Argentina vs performing well with Portugal with a neck to neck club career.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
No the debate is Argentina vs Portugal. That is what we have been discussing. We have been comparing both of there national teams to see which player had more or less help or better or worse team.

Your argument was the defence was bad. But they are better then Portugal’s defence for the better part of there whole careers. Your argument is the midfield but yet again they have had a better midfield then Portugal for the majority of there careers. I know you won’t dare to argue about the attack because we know who had a better attack.

So wtf is your argument? This notion of poor Messi Argentina is bad makes no sense.

Also ya you are talking to someone who knows more about the Portuguese national team then you do where as you are not even from Argentina and are just trying to defend Messi.

So once again what is your argument?
My argument was right here:

Sporting CP96 said:
While Messi whole career he was surrounded by world class players?
This is what I initially contested, because it is simply not true. As I already pointed out. I didn't once bring Portugal into the discussion, that's what you were doing the whole time.

I don't have anything else to contribute - if you think that Portugal has had a worse squad than Argentina the last two decades, fine by me, although I'd say they've probably been on par. Not great but certainly not bad either. If you think Ronaldo had a much better international career than Messi just because he won a trophy, again: fine by me. I'm not in here trying to defend Messi, I'm here because you made a false statement and I pointed it out, that's it.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That's where I disagree. Not performing well with Argentina vs performing well with Portugal with a neck to neck club career.
You just have to look at games in which they play to know who the superior football player is. I'd like to do just that rather than compare their trophy cabinets. One Copa America trophy wouldn't make Messi a better or worse footballer than he is. Purely on ability, there really is no debate to be had. Who had the better career or who made the most out of their career, I think that's up for debate yes.

K13

Isn't Ronaldo a striker/forward for you.

Back to 2014 .. Portugal went out in the group stages and Argentina got to the final. If Higuan had finished that chance in the 2014 final maybe this debate would now be over.

Portugal ....

Eduardo goalkeeper, Braga

2 Bruno Alves defender, Fenerbahçe

3 Pepe defender, Real Madrid

4 Miguel Veloso midfielder, Dynamo Kyiv

5 Fábio Coentrão defender, Real Madrid

6 William Carvalho midfielder, Sporting

7 Cristiano Ronaldo (captain) forward, Real Madrid

8 João Moutinho midfielder, Monaco

9 Hugo Almeida forward, Besiktas

10 Vieirinha midfielder, Wolfsburg

11 Éder forward, Braga

12 Rui Patrício goalkeeper, Sporting

13 Ricardo Costa defender, Valencia

14 Luís Neto defender, Zenit Saint Petersburg

15 Rafa Silva midfielder, Braga

16 Raul Meireles midfielder, Fenerbahce

17 Nani midfielder, Manchester United

18 Silvestre Varela midfielder, Porto

19 André Almeida defender, Benfica

20 Rúben Amorim midfielder, Benfica

21 João Pereira defender, Valencia

22 Beto goalkeeper, Sevilla

23 Hélder Postiga forward, Lazio

Argentina .
1 Sergio Romero goalkeeper, Monaco

2 Ezequiel Garay defender, Benfica

3 Hugo Campagnaro defender, Internazionale

4 Pablo Zabaleta defender, Manchester City

5 Fernando Gago midfielder, Boca Juniors

6 Lucas Biglia midfielder, Lazio

7 Ángel di María midfielder, Real Madrid

8 Enzo Pérez midfielder, Benfica

9 Gonzalo Higuaín forward, Napoli

10 Lionel Messi (captain) forward, Barcelona

11 Maxi Rodríguez midfielder, Newell’s Old Boys

12 Agustín Orión goalkeeper, Boca Juniors

13 Augusto Fernández midfielder, Celta Vigo

14 Javier Mascherano midfielder, Barcelona

15 Martín Demichelis defender, Manchester City

16 Marcos Rojo defender, Sporting

17 Federico Fernández defender, Napoli

18 Rodrigo Palacio forward, Internazionale

19 Ricardo Álvarez midfielder, Internazionale

20 Sergio Agüero forward, Manchester City

21 Mariano Andújar goalkeeper, Catania

22 Ezequiel Lavezzi forward, Paris Saint-Germain

23 José María Basanta defender, Monterrey

Portugal now are blessed with an abundance of talent in midfield/defence to help get Ronaldo to the areas of the pitch where he can the most damage - players from Wolves who did wonderful things this year. A potential best player of the world in Bernardo. Their talent is well sought after - Fernandez, Neves, Moutinho, Felix and they have great experience in ex RM Pepe.

SportingCP96

Supports
My argument was right here:

This is what I initially contested, because it is simply not true. As I already pointed out. I didn't once bring Portugal into the discussion, that's what you were doing the whole time.

I don't have anything else to contribute - if you think that Portugal has had a worse squad than Argentina the last two decades, fine by me, although I'd say they've probably been on par. Not great but certainly not bad either. If you think Ronaldo had a much better international career than Messi just because he won a trophy, again: fine by me. I'm not in here trying to defend Messi, I'm here because you made a false statement and I pointed it out, that's it.
Yes but then then was mentioned about the defence and midfield being terrible and had no help to which I mentioned neither did Ronaldo and then we were talking about Portugal and Ronaldo. If you were not trying to compare or defend Messi had a worse national team then it was just miscommunication and I’ll say my bad.

As for the world class part I argued that the worse versions of Aguero, Higuain, etc are better then the best version of any striker we have or had.

Status
Not open for further replies.