Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Rado_N, Jan 20, 2015.

?

Messi or Ronaldo

1. Messi

2. Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jul 8, 2019

Cal? CR7 fan

It’s been a long and hard battle, but at least some of them are getting the message ‘opinion =/= fact’. :angel:
  2. Jul 8, 2019

RedRonaldo Full Member

To be fair Messi has always been compared to Maradona or Ronaldo. But people don't always compare Messi with Pele. They have nothing much in common to compare, except both are South American and both are GOAT. Pele most glorious moment is for his country and in WC, Messi most glorious moment is for his club and in La Liga. Not the best comparison to make. Its like comparing Pele with Di Stefano. Surely during the 50s and 60s, the 2 top GOAT is probably Pele and Di Stefano, and people probably compared them alot in the very old days.

The most compared footballer ever is probably:

1. Maradona vs Pele (2 GOAT from 2 different era from 2 biggest rival country in South America, the greatest career ever vs the greatest peak ever, the most successful player ever vs the most talented player ever)

2. Messi vs Ronaldo (2 GOAT from same era, from 2 biggest rival football club in Spain/Europe, and one of the greatest rivalry in whole of world sports for over a decade, and also one of the most toxic discussion in global internet. They are the biggest ever rival in Ballon D'or too, every stats/goals/trophies/individual honours/records/success of theirs are almost identical/comparable, which is not seen in any era)

3. Cruyff vs Beckenbauer (2 GOAT from same era, from 2 rival European country, one of the greatest rivalry in football, both won European Cup 3 times, both won Ballon D'or multiple times, both revolutionalize football in their unique style/position (libero vs total football), and they were even competing against each other in WC final match, King vs King to take the WC, imagine that)

4. Messi vs Maradona (2 GOAT from 2 different era, very similar type of players from same country, both scored wonder goals after dribbling past several players, both intentionally use their hand to score a goal at one point, both very short hence low centre of gravity, both are regarded as most talented player in the world ever)

5. Maradona vs Platini (2 of the best midfielder/GOAT in the same era, playing in the same league too during mid-80s, one singlehandedly won the WC and is most talent player ever, the other plays like the King of football who won 3 Ballon D'or in a row. One shamelessly wasted/spend his life overdose with drugs, the other shamelessly make/spend his money from corruption.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  3. Jul 8, 2019

Shamana Full Member

Personally I don't there is a greatest of all time in football. There is just a few who were the greatest of their generation and all time. Football is too much of a team sport to have a player who's undisputably the best of all time.
  4. Jul 8, 2019

Filipe New Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Yup. Maradona is to Messi what Platini was to him.
  5. Jul 8, 2019

Filipe New Member

Supports:
    in my opinion it's disrespectful to Messi to compare him to any other footballer ( Active or retired). He's levels above everyone else.
  6. Jul 8, 2019

Daysleeper Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Alex Morgan right on the money :eek:

Just like many other footballers, coaches and pundits, Morgan was asked for her verdict on the Barcelona talisman and the Juventus ace.

"I would have to say Messi," the US co-captain said.

"He's just so much better... He's a level higher than any other player I watch.

"He's a really exciting player to watch."

http://www.sportbible.com/football/...-and-ronaldo-in-2015-20190708?source=facebook
  7. Jul 8, 2019

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Media resurfacing 5 year old quotes from Alex Morgan 2 days after Messi's Argentina finished third in the Copa America :lol:

Can't wait to read all the articles about Marta's thoughts from 7 years ago in the next page.
  8. Jul 8, 2019

DoneDaDa New Member

Supports:
    No One
    Ding ding ding

This is the right answer no such thing as the best footballer ever.
  9. Jul 9, 2019

Tostao_80 New Member

Actually the logic in your argument here is flawed. This has been pointed out to you many times but you refuse to acknowledge it. Balon Dor votes aren't wholly indicative of a players true standing in the game.
    Example: Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard regularly got more votes than a certain Paul Scholes (by a lot). Infact, Scholes, despite being nominated up to 5 times, never received a single vote. According to you, that means that Lampard and Scholes were seen as better by their colleagues. Was Beckham even seen as better than Scholes? Becks famously came runner up to Rivaldo in 99.
    Voting for a player for the Balon Dor doesn't mean that you think they're better than everyone else as footballers. It just means that they've had a more successful season. Example: Luka last year. You really think that those who voted for him think that he's better than Leo Messi, who came fifth?
    An even better example. Guess who John Terry picked for the Balon Dor between Leo and Cristiano way back? He voted for Cristiano. But guess who he regarded as the best player of all time? You guessed it. It was Leo.
    Want further evidence? France Football in 1995 provided a revised Balon Dor winners list going back to the 60s (who would have won it without restrictions). Guess how many times Diego would have won the Balon Dor? A measly two times (Platini would keep his 3).
    So Diego with his 2 Balon Dors would have been seen by his peers as less than those who won three?
    No. Diego would still have been seen as greater than all bar Pele.
  10. Jul 9, 2019

Tostao_80 New Member

But I thought you said that in Copa 2019, Leo Messi was playing better than before?
    He deserves all the praise he gets for such a stellar tournament surely?
  11. Jul 9, 2019

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    What? Did I ever say they were?

Because he took Argentina to the World Cup title in one of those two years.... not because he was consistently better or they weren't seen in the same light for pretty much the entirity of their careers.

The reason Maradona's legacy is so big and has gotten bigger and bigger as the years pass is the same reason why Messi's will get smaller and smaller.
  12. Jul 9, 2019

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Better than he's played in several occasions before? Yes. With an apropriate role towards his team success? Yes. He didn't play well, I specifically called it arguably the worst international tournament of his career.

Still, it's beyond me how that literally has anything at all to do with the comment you just replied to. Not only a completely irrelevant and weirdly out of context comment but also pretty shameful in pretending I had said he was great in the tournament.
  13. Jul 9, 2019

Supports:
    Sporting CP

What made you change your mind @Tostao_80?
  14. Jul 9, 2019

Tostao_80 New Member

You're still persisting with this weird view of yours. Leo Messi has just had a dire Copa and arguably his worst tournament for Argentina in the last 12 years. Please name these several tournaments before where Leo has played worse?
    Literally no one in this thread agreed with this, not even Cal would touch this because it's obvious to all that he was bad.
    What team success are you speaking of? Semi at the Copa where they have reached 3 finals prior with Messi.
    You even went further when you claimed that Leo wasn't Argentina's best player in the qualies for WC2018. As soon as you were pressed to name players who were better than him, surprise, surprise, you couldn't.
    Infact didn't you even say, or allude to Leo being better in this Copa than his 10 games for WC2018 qualies? An even more absurd view.
    Anyone care to defend this?
  15. Jul 9, 2019

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    Why are you completely ignoring the topic of the conversation to repeat the exact same conversation we already had and I already replied to several times despite having absolutely nothing to do with what we’re talking about?
  16. Jul 9, 2019

Tostao_80 New Member

Diegos legacy getting bigger over the years has absolutely nothing to do with Leos situation. How on earth do you know what people will think of Leo in the future? Its baseless conjecture and just projection on your part. Leo Messi is currently seen as greater/ better than Cristiano by most people and this situation will most likely not change.
    Can you give me an example of two all time greats in the past where one was seen as better at the time but many years later people thought differently?
    It hasn't happened before. No reason to believe it will happen to Leo unless you just want to believe it to be so.
  17. Jul 9, 2019

Schneckerl Full Member

Paul Scholes (take your pick for the 2nd one) :D
  18. Jul 9, 2019

Filipe New Member

Supports:
    Top 3 of all time

Messi
    Maradona
    Cruyff
  19. Jul 9, 2019

Shamana Full Member

This is how I feel. Who can say that Alfred di stefano was a lesser player than Pelé? And how would one compare Maradonna and Pelé since they were such different players? Then you have players like Beckenbaur who wasn't even an offensive player and Zidane scored feck all goals in terms of stats, but you'd be hard pressed to say that he was that much of a lesser player compared to Platini. It's not like a 100m sprint at the olympics where you can easily verify who's the fastest. In a 11 vs 11 team game there just isn't a single player who decides the outcome of everything. I get pissed off when I read about Messi or Ronaldo losing this or that final. It's the team that win or loses that how it is in a team sport.
  20. Jul 9, 2019

paraguayo New Member

Supports:
    neutral
    I was thinking, what is Messi's biggest moment of individual brilliance in international competitions?

I don't even think he has a moment as good as Ronaldo vs Spain last year. And that's a lousy group stage game.

Maybe Messi vs USA in 2007? That's still very bad for a player of his stature.
  21. Jul 9, 2019

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Probably the hat-trick to lead them into the World Cup vs Venezuela.
  22. Jul 9, 2019

paraguayo New Member

Supports:
    neutral
    I said international tournaments like Copa America, World Cup
  23. Jul 9, 2019

Daysleeper Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Shocking that neither player have had a single WC knockout goal
  24. Jul 10, 2019

Tostao_80 New Member

Because you were originally asked to back up your claims with specific examples. You couldn't (surprise surprise) and decided to move on.
    You initially said that Leo was better in this Copa than he's played in several occasions before (with an appropriate role towards his team success).
    I replied by saying it was absurd and not backed up by reality (no one agreed with you btw) and asked you to name these other occasions where Leo was worse. You could only come up with WC2018 Qual. I said that Leo was Argentina's best player there and you disagreed. I asked which players were better. Yet again, you couldn't come up with any examples.
    You can't get away with making spurious claims, and then when asked to back them up with examples, do a disappearing act.
  25. Jul 10, 2019

RedRonaldo Full Member

True, but as for expectation vs reality, I would say Ronaldo has a great international career for Portugal (won Euro for Portugal first time, won 2 international competition, all time top scorer in Europe). Messi, on the other hand, due to higher expectation (Comparison with Maradona, and fact that Argentina had won WC before), it’s rather disappointing international career for him.
  26. Jul 10, 2019

MrEleson Full Member

Alex Morgan is a huge Barca fan
  27. Jul 16, 2019

Ole’s Wheel Full Member

Supports:
    CR7
    Portugal before Ronaldo: 0 Trophies
    Portugal with Ronaldo: 2 Trophies

Argentina before Messi: 17 Trophies
    Argentina with Messi: 0 Trophies

...Portugal have won both their trophies with CR7...Messi has won none of Argentina’s 17...

The problem is that at lot of people’s pimp (Messi) has got no character.
  28. Jul 16, 2019

Billy Blaggs Flacco of the Blaggs tribe

There is no way that's the majorities top 3.
    Pele will always be mentioned.
  29. Jul 17, 2019

Ishdalar Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    The most stupid post in this thread.

Real Madrid before Ronaldo: 31 league titles, 9 Champions Leagues.
    Real Madrid with Ronaldo: 2 league titles, 4 Champions Leagues.

Italy with Roberto Baggio: 0 Trophies
    Italy with Luca Toni: 1 Trophy

Portugal with Eusebio: 0 Trophies
    Portugal with Eder: 1 Trophy
  30. Jul 17, 2019

RedDevilCanuck Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

Neither have had a world cup as good as Robben. just sayin
  31. Jul 17, 2019

Br1_ovi New Member

Supports:
    F.C. Barcelona
    Robben had two!
  32. Jul 17, 2019

RedDevilCanuck Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

i know. He doesnt have a trophy but his world cups are a level above these two. Twas Roy of the Rovers stuff.
  33. Jul 17, 2019

He'sRaldo New Member

That's actually remarkable.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  34. Jul 17, 2019

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    :lol:
  35. Jul 17, 2019

Tostao_80 New Member

True. The most 3 most mentioned players as the greatest are indeed Pele, Diego and Leo.
    Cristiano is in the group behind.
  36. Jul 17, 2019

Billy Blaggs Flacco of the Blaggs tribe

I'd probably agree with that.
  37. Jul 17, 2019

Luke1995 Full Member

Would you guys take the players they were in 2009 or the 2019 versions are better ?
  38. Jul 18, 2019

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Ronaldo was better in 2009 imo.

I think Messi is better overall now compared to 2009, but he's definitely less explosive.

Messi's peak is still 2010-2011 to me. 2014-2015 is second.

Ronaldo's is probably 2013-2014 or 2011-2012, though I like his 2016-2017 version the most.
  39. Jul 18, 2019

Fridge chutney Full Member

Top 5 players of all time:

1. Messi
    2. Messi
    3. Messi
    4. Messi's son 1
    5. Messi's son 2
  40. Jul 18, 2019

Luke1995 Full Member

One thing that Ronaldo really improved though are his performances for Portugal. In qualyfing for 2010 World Cup he really struggled to make an impact.

2011-2012 Ronaldo was very explosive, don't think he is at physical peak anymore

As for Messi, I think 12-13 was his goalscoring peak, he had a run of 20+ games scoring in La Liga. Playmaking was 14-15 and explosiveness probably peaked in 2011.