• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
For longevity and goals scored Ronaldo just might scrape top 5 but for pure footballing ability he wouldn't even make my top ten.

steffyr2

It's never really been that difficult to compare to be honest. It goes like this:

Career: Ronaldo >/= Messi (with a slight edge to Ronaldo for the Euros and CL).

Ability as a footballer: Messi >>>> Ronaldo. No contest anyone who has eyes and isn't biased can clearly see Messi is a much better player.

The problem with this thread is we have Ronaldo fans arguing about who had the better career and Messi fans arguing who is the better footballer. Remember better footballer doesn't mean better career.
Of course it does. Also, if he was the goat, you wouldn't continually have to make excuses for him.

kidbob

Of course it does. Also, if he was the goat, you wouldn't continually have to make excuses for him.
Well then John O'Shea was better than Le Tissier. I don't make excuses I just use my eyes to tell me that something is obvious.

steffyr2

Well then John O'Shea was better than Le Tissier. I don't make excuses I just use my eyes to tell me that something is obvious.
I loved John O'Shea when he played for Utd.....
Someday Messi may win something with Argentina.

Tostao_80

For longevity and goals scored Ronaldo just might scrape top 5 but for pure footballing ability he wouldn't even make my top ten.
Sadly true, besides goals, the only thing he does at a GOAT level is headers. Leo, has ability, dribbling, playmaking, passing, vision, and goals. All at GOAT level. Its what separates them.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I loved John O'Shea when he played for Utd.....
Someday Messi may win something with Argentina.
If only it was Eder and not Higauin who finished that chance in the WC final vs germany. Fine margines in this line of thinking. Would Messi suddenly without doubt be the greatest if Higuain had scored in his 1 vs 1 because he won the world cup with argentina?

Gehrman

It's never really been that difficult to compare to be honest. It goes like this:

Career: Ronaldo >/= Messi (with a slight edge to Ronaldo for the Euros and CL).

Ability as a footballer: Messi >>>> Ronaldo. No contest anyone who has eyes and isn't biased can clearly see Messi is a much better player.

The problem with this thread is we have Ronaldo fans arguing about who had the better career and Messi fans arguing who is the better footballer. Remember better footballer doesn't mean better career.
Does winning the league not count for anything anymore? RVP is almost a United legend for being our most influencial player for winning the league in 2013. Last season Messi won the la liga and made it to CL semi's almost by his goals alone. Messi is one of the most decorated players of all time it's hardly like he's not won anything.

Someone like Luiz Ronaldo is great who really lacked trophies at his club level. Judging this way Andy Cole was 10 times the player of Luiz ronaldo.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Does winning the league not count for anything anymore? RVP is almost a United legend for being our most influencial player for winning the league in 2013. Last season Messi won the la liga and made it to CL semi's almost by his goals alone. Messi is one of the most decorated players of all time it's hardly like he's not won anything.

Someone like Luiz Ronaldo is great who really lacked trophies at his club level. Judging this way Andy Cole was 10 times the player of Luiz ronaldo.
Err... L.Ronaldo had won 2 Ballon D'or, 2 WC, 2 Copa, and in total 17 trophies over his career.
Andy Cole had won 1 CL and in total 11 trophies over his career.

I think you have given a very bad example. L.Ronaldo career is far better than Andy Cole.

Gehrman

Err... L.Ronaldo had won 2 Ballon D'or, 2 WC, 2 Copa, and in total 17 trophies over his career.
Andy Cole had won 1 CL and in total 11 trophies over his career.

I think you have given a very bad example. L.Ronaldo career is far better than Andy Cole.
I meant that at club level, he only won 1 league title with Barcalona, Inter and Real Madrid and not a single CL. It's not impresive for a player of his calibre.

Personally I think Andy Cole's 5 PL's and 1 CL's eclipses Ronaldo's club trophy haul.

And I'm not trying to argue that Andy Cole was a better player than Luiz Ronaldo.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I meant that at club level, he only won 1 league title with Barcalona, Inter and Real Madrid and not a single CL. It's not impresive for a player of his calibre.

Personally I think Andy Cole's 5 PL's and 1 CL's eclipses Ronaldo's club trophy haul.

And I'm not trying to argue that Andy Cole was a better player than Luiz Ronaldo.
I am talking about football career as a whole. Isn' it all about better career vs better player thing we talking about here?

Player's career is judge by individual honours, records, stats, major trophies won (with club and country), and total no. of trophies won (with club and countries) etc. In respect of all of these, L.Ronaldo has achieved far more than Andy Cole. Hence, L.Ronaldo has a far better career than Andy Cole. No?

L.Ronaldo
Individual honours: 2 Ballon D'or (Ronaldo wins)
Stats: 352 club goals, 66 International goals (Ronaldo wins)
Records: 47 club goals in best season, 15 goals in WC (all time record) (Ronaldo wins)
Major trophies won: 2 WC, 2 Copa (Ronaldo wins)
Total no. of trophies won: 17 (Ronaldo wins)

Andy Cole
Individual honours: 0
Stats: 290 club goals, 1 international goals
Records: 41 club goals in best season
Major trophies won: 1 CL
Total no. of trophies won: 11

Last edited:

Gehrman

I am talking about football career as a whole. Isn' it all about better career vs better player thing?
Yeah, but international football is like only 10% of a players career. And players who don't come from great footballing nations have little chance of glory.

Anyway Messi is one the most decorated players of all time. I personally dont think that Ronaldo's career is that much better if better at all. I think they are fairly equal.

Gehrman

I am talking about football career as a whole. Isn' it all about better career vs better player thing we talking about here?

Player's career is judge by individual honours, records, stats, major trophies won (with club and country), and total no. of trophies won (with club and countries) etc. In respect of all of these, L.Ronaldo has achieved far more than Andy Cole. Hence, L.Ronaldo has a far better career than Andy Cole. No?

L.Ronaldo
Individual honours: 2 Ballon D'or (Ronaldo wins)
Stats: 352 club goals, 66 International goals (Ronaldo wins)
Records: 47 club goals in best season, 15 goals in WC (all time record) (Ronaldo wins)
Major trophies won: 2 WC, 2 Copa (Ronaldo wins)
Total no. of trophies won: 17 (Ronaldo wins)

Andy Cole
Individual honours: 0
Stats: 290 club goals, 1 international goals
Records: 41 club goals in best season
Major trophies won: 1 CL
Total no. of trophies won: 11
Maybe I made stupid comparison here. I think for the biggest clubs and the greatest players, league titles and CL's are the most impressive in club football anyway. Personally I don't think trophies like Uefa cup winners cup, the uefa cup, the intercontinenal cup or the charity shield or league cup are impressive trophies to be honest.

What Andy Cole won at club level with his teams far outshines Luiz Ronaldo's club trophies, yet there is not a single doubt that Luiz Ronaldo is one of the best ever and Andy Cole is not.

It's like people constantly bigging Mouringo stint at united because he won 2 trophies. For the biggest clubs in world the Europa League and the league cup are not major trophies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeah, but international football is like only 10% of a players career. And players who don't come from great footballing nations have little chance of glory.
You have to look at the actual context. Ronaldo has played 98 games for Brazil, and 518 games for clubs. So no, its not 10% at all, more like 20% of the games of his career.

In terms of career goals for clubs, Ronaldo has scored more than Andy Cole too (352 vs 290)

The only thing Andy Cole has over Ronaldo is no. of major club trophies won, but that's about it. Every other aspect we are looking at club level (club goals/records/stats, total no. of club trophies won, individual honours with clubs), L.Ronaldo has also achieved more.

Gehrman

You have to look at the actual context. Ronaldo has played 98 games for Brazil, and 518 games for clubs. So no, its not 10% at all, more like 20% of the games of his career.

In terms of career goals for clubs, Ronaldo has scored more than Andy Cole too (352 vs 290)

The only thing Andy Cole has over Ronaldo is no. of major club trophies won, but that's about it. Every other aspect we are looking at club level (club goals/records/stats, total no. of club trophies won, individual honours with clubs), L.Ronaldo has also achieved more.
I guess what I was trying to point out what you said is context and applying this is to the Messi vs Ronaldo debate. If Higuain had not missed his 1 vs 1 in the WC final, Messi might have world cup to his trophies, but does that suddenly elevate him? I don't think it does. And yes I agree that Ronaldo has been a greater hero to his national team than Messi has however Messi is still the all time Argentina top scorer despite playing deeper than strikers like Batistuta.

There is so much context both ways. When Barca spanked us in the 2009 final was it because Messi was far greater than Ronaldo? Imo not at all. They were a far better team. Our midfield was giggs, Carrick and Anderson vs Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets. No wonder they completely dominated us.

We have to judge all the major trophies of players in context. It took 5 years for Cristiano to make and win a CL with Real madrid since he joined, does that mean that Messi was twice the player before then? No, it took time for Real Madrid to reach their level. Atm Messi is being called a failure by Ronaldo fans because he's not singlehandedly winning them the CL and I just think that's childish in context.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe I made stupid comparison here. I think for the biggest clubs and the greatest players, league titles and CL's are the most impressive in club football anyway. Personally I don't think trophies like Uefa cup winners cup, the uefa cup, the intercontinenal cup or the charity shield or league cup are impressive trophies to be honest.

What Andy Cole won at club level with his teams far outshines Luiz Ronaldo's club trophies, yet there is not a single doubt that Luiz Ronaldo is one of the best ever and Andy Cole is not.

It's like people constantly bigging Mouringo stint at united because he won 2 trophies. For the biggest clubs in world the Europa League and the league cup are not major trophies.
L.Ronaldo had a far better football career than Andy Cole, it has nothing to do with who is better player at all, so don't try to mix things up here. Winning a few more premier league titles won't change anything, in terms of who has better career.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I guess what I was trying to point out what you said is context and applying this is to the Messi vs Ronaldo debate. If Higuain had not missed his 1 vs 1 in the WC final, Messi might have world cup to his trophies, but does that suddenly elevate him? I don't think it does. And yes I agree that Ronaldo has been a greater hero to his national team than Messi has however Messi is still the all time Argentina top scorer despite playing deeper than strikers like Batistuta.

There is so much context both ways. When Barca spanked us in the 2009 final was it because Messi was far greater than Ronaldo? Imo not at all. They were a far better team. Our midfield was giggs, Carrick and Anderson vs Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets. No wonder they completely dominated us.

We have to judge all the major trophies of players in context. It took 5 years for Cristiano to make and win a CL with Real madrid since he joined, does that mean that Messi was twice the player before then? No, it took time for Real Madrid to reach their level. Atm Messi is being called a failure by Ronaldo fans because he's not singlehandedly winning them the CL and I just think that's childish in context.
No one will think Messi is a failure, in fact, he is one of the most successful player ever at club level, winning 5 Ballon D'or, 4 CL (3 CL as major role), 10 La Liga titles (8 La Liga as major role), and scoring insane no. of goals. I don't think anyone has achieved more than him at club level, maybe only Ronaldo is on par with Messi at club football in terms of overall achievement (goals, stats, records, trophies, individual honours), maybe Di Stefano is nearly on par (in terms of trophies won), or just behind them (if including goals/stats/records/individual honours).

The thing why people think Ronaldo has better football career, is because of his 5 CL (all 5 CL won playing key major role), won historical Euro with Portugal for the very first time, and won at every clubs and country he played for (Real Madrid, Man Utd, Juventus, Portugal), his CV is simply more impressive, its just nearly perfect. While Messi CV, he has overachieved massively with Barca, winning everything there. He has also underachieved with Argentina, winning nothing there. Its not perfect.

Last edited:

Gehrman

L.Ronaldo had a far better football career than Andy Cole, it has nothing to do with who is better player at all, so don't try to mix things up here. Winning a few more premier league titles won't change anything, in terms of who has better career.
In terms of club trophies is certainly makes a difference, but I admit, maybe Cole was a bad comparison.

Scholes has 11 PL's and 2 CL's vs Gerrard 0 Pl and 1 Cl.

Does it mean that Scholes is 1000 times the player that Gerrard was. I don't think so.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In terms of club trophies is certainly makes a difference, but I admit, maybe Cole was a bad comparison.

Scholes has 11 PL's and 2 CL's vs Gerrard 0 Pl and 1 Cl.

Does it mean that Scholes is 1000 times the player that Gerrard was. I don't think so.
Scholes has far better career, simple as that.

In terms of who is better player, I personally rate Scholes higher than Gerrard.

Gehrman

Scholes has far better career, simple as that.

In terms of who is better player, I personally rate Scholes higher than Gerrard.
For sure, I think for neutrals it will always be debatle who was the better of the two.

I'm not sure anyone can hold it against Messi that he's played for Barcalona his entire career. He's a La Mazia product and Barcelona have been a super power since 2009 Guardiola became their manager and Messi started reaching his peak. Who could he possibly transfer to that would be step up? Certainly not United after they spanked us? Real Madrid when they were spanking them? City? Only for the unlimited money.

Messi has scored more goals against the top PL clubs than most of the greatest pl strikers have. I'm pretty sure Messi at the peak at his powers could hack it in any league.

No one is saying that Giggs and Scholes didn't prove themselves because they didn't join a Seria A team, when they were at their peaki. They were playing under SAF for one of the greatest clubs in the world. They are being heralded for being 1 club men, not critized for it. However I'm 100% sure that if they were playing for Man Utd doing shit periods like pre-Saf or Post-Saf, they would join the biggest clubs in Seria A or La liga and I'm sure Messi would have changed clubs if he started his club career in Tenerife and Barcelona.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
For sure, I think for neutrals it will always be debatle who was the better of the two.

I'm not sure anyone can hold it against Messi that he's played for Barcalona his entire career. He's a La Mazia product and Barcelona have been a super power since 2009 Guardiola became their manager and Messi started reaching his peak. Who could he possibly transfer to that would be step up? Certainly not United after they spanked us? Real Madrid when they were spanking them? City? Only for the unlimited money.

Messi has scored more goals against the top PL clubs than most of the greatest pl strikers have. I'm pretty sure Messi at the peak at his powers could hack it in any league.

No one is saying that Giggs and Scholes didn't prove themselves because they didn't join a Seria A team, when they were at their peaki. They were playing under SAF for one of the greatest clubs in the world. They are being heralded for being 1 club men, not critized for it. However I'm 100% sure that if they were playing for Man Utd doing shit periods like pre-Saf or Post-Saf, they would join the biggest clubs in Seria A or La liga and I'm sure Messi would have changed clubs if he started his club career in Tenerife and Barcelona.
Well Messi is regarded as GOAT solely based on his performances and achievements for Barca, so I am not sure why you think people are holding against him. But when compared to the likes of other GOAT, his underachievement for Argentina for past 15 years does makes him looks less accomplished when compared to the likes of Pele and Ronaldo, who had won everything at every level at every team they played for.

Yes you may argue he is so close in winning one of those international tournament, but history will only remember the winner, and players are only playing for trophies but not 2nd place medal, that has always been the case in football history. Even when you compare the goals/stats for international games, Ronaldo has scored 95 goals vs Messi 68 goals, there's still a clear gap between the two at the international stage.

Also, one need to understand not every player can adapt to every system at every clubs, while Barca team has always been built around Messi, you don't see Messi being half as effective in Argentina as in Barca. These things do affect his CV abit, although personally, I do think Messi is probably the best or the most talented footballer I've ever seen. But this does not means he has better or equally impressive career than Ronaldo.

Tostao_80

Well Messi is regarded as GOAT solely based on his performances and achievements for Barca, so I am not sure why you think people are holding against him. But when compared to the likes of other GOAT, his underachievement for Argentina for past 15 years does makes him looks less accomplished when compared to the likes of Pele and Ronaldo, who had won everything at every level at every team they played for.

Yes you may argue he is so close in winning one of those international tournament, but history will only remember the winner, and players are only playing for trophies but not 2nd place medal, that has always been the case in football history. Even when you compare the goals/stats for international games, Ronaldo has scored 95 goals vs Messi 68 goals, there's still a clear gap between the two at the international stage.

Also, one need to understand not every player can adapt to every system at every clubs, while Barca team has always been built around Messi, you don't see Messi being half as effective in Argentina as in Barca. These things do affect his CV abit, although personally, I do think Messi is probably the best or the most talented footballer I've ever seen. But this does not means he has better or equally impressive career than Ronaldo.
You're wrong. There are countless examples if teams that have not won international trophies but are remembered fondly. Part of Cruyff and the Oranges legacy is based on their 74 WC campaign. That team is regarded as one of the greatest of all time. Hungarys magical Magyars are legendary, yet Puskas didnt inspire his team to victory. Zico and his Brazil are still talked about, nearly 40 years after their 82 WC campaign. They left a mark, and are legendary. Who the hell talks about 94 Brazil? The Brazilians dont. You dont have to win an international tournament to be remembered, or leave a mark. That is simply a fallacy.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You're wrong. There are countless examples if teams that have not won international trophies but are remembered fondly. Part of Cruyff and the Oranges legacy is based on their 74 WC campaign. That team is regarded as one of the greatest of all time. Hungarys magical Magyars are legendary, yet Puskas didnt inspire his team to victory. Zico and his Brazil are still talked about, nearly 40 years after their 82 WC campaign. They left a mark, and are legendary. Who the hell talks about 94 Brazil? The Brazilians dont. You dont have to win an international tournament to be remembered, or leave a mark. That is simply a fallacy.
You are not reading the context properly, the whole discussion is about who has better career, not who is better player, nor who will be better remembered. Those players you've mentioned (Cruyff, Puskas, Zico etc) are all great/legndeary/GOAT players who had left their marks no doubt. But do they have better career when compared to likes of Pele and Ronaldo? Sure not.

Last edited:

Tostao_80

You are not reading the context properly, the whole discussion is about who has better career, not who is better player, nor who will be better remembered. Those players you've mentioned (Cruyff, Puskas, Zico etc) are all great/legndeary/GOAT players who had left their marks no doubt. But do they have better career when compared to likes of Pele and Ronaldo? Sure not.
No. I was replying to the posters specific point that people only remember winners. That is clearly not true.
Career wise there isnt much between the two. Leo will go down as the greatest club player of all time, Cristiano as having a better international career than Leo.

MrEleson

Those teams are remembered because they captured the imagination with their style and probably should have won in those tournaments. There was nothing special or memorable about those Argentina sides that made the World Cup final or Copa America finals.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No. I was replying to the posters specific point that people only remember winners. That is clearly not true.
Career wise there isnt much between the two. Leo will go down as the greatest club player of all time, Cristiano as having a better international career than Leo.
Those points are put forward in the context of comparing players' career, there's not much to argue with if you take it away from original context.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Agreed, Messi is the better footballer but it can be argued that Ronaldo has had a better career, although his mere 2 la Ligas in his 9 year stay at Spain is a bit of a black mark on his CV, just as Messi's International career is.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Agreed, Messi is the better footballer but it can be argued that Ronaldo has had a better career, although his mere 2 la Ligas in his 9 year stay at Spain is a bit of a black mark on his CV, just as Messi's International career is.
Well Ronaldo has also won a few league titles with us (6 league titles won at Man United, Real and Juventus, and will win a few more at Juventus. He won't be lacking any domestic league titles if compared with other all time greats by the time he retired (I can see him winning 8 or 9, that's as good as any other GOAT), so I don't think it matters much (plus his time at Real was very successful with 4 CL and 2 La Liga anyway). But if Messi couldn't win any WC or Copa with Argentina by time he retired, it will be more of black mark in his CV, as that would mean he had never won any major international trophies with Argentina, which means he underachieved with Argentina. Although like other past great (Cruyff, Di Stefano), I don't think it will affect much of his GOAT standings, but may fall short abit if compared to Pele/Ronaldo etc as time goes by etc). But who knows, if Messi won a few more Ballon D'or, he would have even greater claim to be GOAT.

Last edited:

Tostao_80

Well Ronaldo has also won a few league titles with us (6 league titles won at Man United, Real and Juventus, and will win a few more at Juventus. He won't be lacking any domestic league titles if compared with other all time greats by the time he retired (I can see him winning 8 or 9, that's as good as any other GOAT), so I don't think it matters much (plus his time at Real was very successful with 4 CL and 2 La Liga anyway). But if Messi couldn't win any WC or Copa with Argentina by time he retired, it will be more of black mark in his CV, as that would mean he had never won any major international trophies with Argentina, which means he underachieved with Argentina. Although like other past great (Cruyff, Di Stefano), I don't think it will affect much of his GOAT standings, but may fall short abit if compared to Pele/Ronaldo etc as time goes by etc). But who knows, if Messi won a few more Ballon D'or, he would have even greater claim to be GOAT.
Messi is considered the GOAT now, by many people. What makes you think this will change as time goes by? He can only add to his legacy as he wins more with Barcelona.
You also said that you can see Cristiano winning 8 or 9 leagues by the time hes finished, and that would be as great as any other GOAT candidate. Well, Messi is already on 10, he could end up with 12/ 13 league titles. Which GOAT candidate would come close to that? Hell, which GOAT candidate comes close to his current 10?

MrEleson

Messi is considered the GOAT now, by many people. What makes you think this will change as time goes by? He can only add to his legacy as he wins more with Barcelona.
You also said that you can see Cristiano winning 8 or 9 leagues by the time hes finished, and that would be as great as any other GOAT candidate. Well, Messi is already on 10, he could end up with 12/ 13 league titles. Which GOAT candidate would come close to that? Hell, which GOAT candidate comes close to his current 10?
Messi was barely even a factor for his first two la liga wins in 2005 & 2006. Just basically collected medals. Ronaldo was the undisputed best player and top scorer in every single league title he won. So in reality it’s more like 8-6. Not to mention some of Messi’s titles was part of Barca’s golden Pep, Xavi, Iniesta era during a phase Madrid were rebuilding.

Tostao_80

Messi was barely even a factor for his first two la liga wins in 2005 & 2006. Just basically collected medals. Ronaldo was the undisputed best player and top scorer in every single league title he won. So in reality it’s more like 8-6. Not to mention some of Messi’s titles was part of Barca’s golden Pep, Xavi, Iniesta era during a phase Madrid were rebuilding.
Reality is that Leo Messi has 10 league titles, a lot more than Cristiano. He will end up with more league titles than any great player of the past. You think in 50 years time when people are looking back on Leos career they will say "oh, lets not include the first 2, he just basically collected medals"?
And by the way, he didnt just collect his medal in the 05/06 league season, he actually played 17 league games for Barcelona. 10 league titles and counting.

MrEleson

And by the way, he didnt just collect his medal in the 05/06 league season, he actually played 17 league games for Barcelona. 10 league titles and counting.
He played 17 times (mostly as a sub) and scored 6 goals. They would have still won that title without him.

Tostao_80

He played 17 times (mostly as a sub) and scored 6 goals. They would have still won that title without him.
Thats true, but playing 17 league games for your team isnt the same as turning up and collecting your medal. It isnt "barely playing" either.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Reality is that Leo Messi has 10 league titles, a lot more than Cristiano. He will end up with more league titles than any great player of the past. You think in 50 years time when people are looking back on Leos career they will say "oh, lets not include the first 2, he just basically collected medals"?
Robben has 13 league titles.

Robben is better than both of them. Why is there no option to vote Robben in this silly poll?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yep. Coming up to 10 year anniversary. Why didnt he chip or round it ???
Or just shoot it either 1 centimeter higher or more to the left. RAAAAAAAAAAAAH. It wouldn't have been as bad if it were a brilliant save, but Casillas basically sat down on his arse when Robben crossed the midfield circle.

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
Nice to see France Football campaigning for CRonaldo this year as well. Absolutely disgraceful. Wouldn't surprise me the slightest if Jorge Mendes have given them some solid "donations" through the years.

As for the Ballon, Van Dijk should win; he "won" the media share of the FIFA award and neither Messi nor CRonaldo have done anything since then to sway votes in their favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.