• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Its absolutely amazing isn't it how so many people appreciate a player like Varane for winning everything he can at Real madrid by the age of 27 and then has started to crave a new challenge else where.

Great stuff.

Don’t buy into the “new challenge” BS, he, like Ronaldo, left for one reason only - more money

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
No one wouldn't appreciate atleast seeing Messi playing for City in the PL?

Bit of a broken record too.
playing for the most stacked team in the PL? It would be meaningless. Half the posters here could win a title with city just sitting on the bench. Playing for one of the biggest clubs for each country is nothing to write home about at all. Whether it’s Bayern, Juventus or psg or whoever has been dominating their domestic leagues. It’s an easy route to domestic trophies

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
No one wouldn't appreciate atleast seeing Messi playing for City in the PL?

Bit of a broken record too.
As a united fan no. As a neutral yes. However Varane isnt the greatest club legend in football history and isnt paid mindboggling wages at his club to stay there.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
playing for the most stacked team in the PL? It would be meaningless. Half the posters here could win a title with city just sitting on the bench. Playing for one of the biggest clubs for each country is nothing to write home about at all. Whether it’s Bayern, Juventus or psg or whoever has been dominating their domestic leagues. It’s an easy route to domestic trophies

This is why I don't rate his achievements that much.

He played for the most stacked team in La Liga all his life whilst playing for the most tactically dense team of all time - a team that played the most tactically perfect football with and without him as seen by Spanish National team.

As you say- Yet, if he played for City it would mean crap all because he played for the most stacked team in the PL. Seems like your eating your own words here.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

He played for the most stacked team in La Liga all his life whilst playing for the most tactically dense team of all time - a team that played the most tactically perfect football with and without him as seen by Spanish National team.

As you say- Yet, if he played for City it would mean crap all because he played for the most stacked team in the PL. Seems like your eating your own words here.
Nope, the difference between Barca and Madrid was not much. Madrid in 2016-2021 had the much deeper squad where Barca were just top heavy. Madrid also had FAR better management than Barca. Ronaldo has had the best series of managers of any other footballer over the last 20 years, huge advantage there

and that Spanish team had several Madrid players too. Ronaldo meanwhile also got to play with several World Cup winners and golden ball winners and had a ballon d’or winner as a teammate in recent years.

Zlaatan

Parody Account

Aren't you tired of making the exact same argument over and over again? You must have written a variation of this post at least 100 times by now in various threads.

Bebestation

@Bebestation are you happy now since Messi is joining PSG?
Not surprised at all that Messi is going to PSG to be honest.

It's why C Ronaldo is my Goat - the way that he wanted to go to the top 3 leagues available and win trophies and records in his thoughts. I value his achievements more even though Messi is the more technical player.

I wish Messi would join Man City instead.

Pocho

Not surprised at all that Messi is going to PSG to be honest.

It's why C Ronaldo is my Goat - the way that he wanted to go to the top 3 leagues available and win trophies and records in his thoughts. I value his achievements more even though Messi is the more technical player.

I wish Messi would join Man City instead.
More technical as an eufemism of better player

Bole Top

interesting couple of months ahead, as couple of vocal CR fanboys wanted Messi to "prove it" outside of Barca... some didn't count Copa as Argies didn't play against 1970 Brazil and there's no doubt we'll see plenty of new excuses from them when he joins PSG. one thing is certain, plenty of us will watch Ligue 1 a lot more than before.

Last edited:

Pocho

interesting couple of months ahead, as couple of vocal CR fanboys wanted Messi to "prove it" outside of Barca... some didn't count Copa as Argies didn't play against 1970 Brazil and there's no doubt we'll probably see plenty of new excuses from them when he joins PSG. one thing is certain, plenty of us will watch Ligue 1 a lot more than before.
Hahaj exactly. Who will watch La Liga now?

Rojow

I will barely look at any La Liga matches haha. They're fecked.

Bebestation

Funny how the Messi fans think that moving to PSG is putting yourself in to a new competition.

Let me guess, he doesn't have options?

MalcolmTucker

Funny how the Messi fans think that moving to PSG is putting yourself in to a new competition.

They didn't win the league last season meanwhile Juventus had won Serie A 7 or 8 times in a row before Ronaldo joined.

That said, both went from Spain to weaker leagues with more stacked teams. Messi, like Neymar and Cristiano, will be judged predominantly by his CL performances and rightly so.

Bebestation

They didn't win the league last season meanwhile Juventus had won Serie A 7 or 8 times in a row before Ronaldo joined.

That said, both went from Spain to weaker leagues with more stacked teams. Messi, like Neymar and Cristiano, will be judged predominantly by his CL performances and rightly so.
Serie A has a style of attacking and defensive tactical play that Ligue 1 could only dream of - the left over tactics of the 90's serie A is still played to some level even if its poor.

Then there's the PL and Manchester United.

Spain and Real Madrid.

So many different leagues with different styles of play to try and conquer even if he wins shit all at trophies (which he won perfectly capable).

Messi gets the chance to move and moves to PSG?

Like fair dos, people will probably back him for having an easy roll in the league and winning the CL one day - an easier version of what life was already like in La Liga anyway ;)

I mean I'd have loved to see him at City for one season, rejoin with Pep and play a full 38 games at PL level whilst competing for and winning Pep that CL he has been missing for some time now.

He would be my Goat if that happened but instead he will join Paris and Neymar.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

That's all it's about. CR7 didn't really have a choice to move to United, he impressed and ended up getting a move to arguably the best team in England. From there, he joined Madrid who put in an incredible summer to bring him, Kaka', and Benzema, it was his dream move. After that, it's been solely about getting those big paychecks continuously. Juventus was not a sporting challenge, neither is PSG for Messi outside of the challenge of winning the CL.

Also, let's not act like Messi going to City would have been any more of a challenge, they're the ones who dominated their league the most out of any of the top 5 leagues out there.

Gehrman

Money and a decent shot at CL glory at his age. Despite him being the favourite for this years Ballon D'or I'd say his prime ended when he was 32.

Bebestation

Money and a decent shot at CL glory at his age. Despite him being the favourite for this years Ballon D'or I'd say his prime ended when he was 32.
I'd say joining a CL finalist of last year and a manager who had previously won a CL already would have been a great shout.

I mean - you literally have all the top clubs wanting to join a super league and yet the PL sides seems content with their league.

I think that says something that we have always known with regards to league quality and quantity. Not seeing him here is disappointing.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Outside of the prem is there a league that would have been a step up?
Outside of Barcelona and Real Madrid there isn't a step up to be fair. The Premier League would had been ideal and going for Manchester City, people would still criticize him for him to the heavy favorite team there but the Premier League, as a competition, is more of a challenge and the better competition right now.

Maybe it's just me but I rate more the Bundesliga and Serie A over the Ligue 1 in France. You have Bayern and Juventus as favorites there but still as a competition I think they're the better leagues. So going to Juventus or Bayern would had been a better destiniaton in my opinion from that perspective.

Gehrman

I'd say joining a CL finalist of last year and a manager who had previously won a CL already would have been a great shout.

I mean - you literally have all the top clubs wanting to join a super league and yet the PL sides seems content with their league.

I think that says something that we have always known with regards to league quality and quantity. Not seeing him here is disappointing.
I would have preferred seeing him one at City season as well. In the end it's seems he's been offered a retirement contract that's probably better than he would have been offered anywhere outside the MLS:.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Outside of Barcelona and Real Madrid there isn't a step up to be fair. The Premier League would had been ideal and going for Manchester City, people would still criticize him for him to the heavy favorite team there but the Premier League, as a competition, is more of a challenge and the better competition right now.

Maybe it's just me but I rate more the Bundesliga and Serie A over the Ligue 1 in France. You have Bayern and Juventus as favorites there but still as a competition I think they're the better leagues. So going to Juventus or Bayern would had been a better destiniaton in my opinion from that perspective.
Everyone knows Ligue 1 is the arsenal of top league's tbh.

Rojow

Messi doesn't need to prove anything to the english people or the Premier League. He has already done that. He can play whatever he wants and if he wants to play alongside friends like Neymar and company earning a lot of money, good for him. Wish i could do something like that.

kc7

I would have preferred seeing him one at City season as well. In the end it's seems he's been offered a retirement contract that's probably better than he would have been offered anywhere outside the MLS:.
I would prefer him going to City as well, but then people would criticize him saying he is not leaving his comfort zone now that he's working with Guardiola under the system he's used to at Barca. Even if he wins the CL with City, they would say it does not count & he should repeat it at City without Guardiola or another team...

Gehrman

I would prefer him going to City as well, but then people would criticize him saying he is not leaving his comfort zone now that he's working with Guardiola under the system he's used to at Barca. Even if he wins the CL with City, they would say it does not count & he should repeat it at City without Guardiola or another team...
What Messi has given Barcelona what to a bit similar to if George Best had fufilled his full potential and stayed his entire prime at Man Utd or if Ronaldo had stayed at United almost his entire career. We wouldn't have been eulogizing the journeymen in that case. Messi was lucky enough to end up at his dream club at 14.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
At this stage of the career Messi has nothing to prove to anyone, he goes to PSG because both money and the ambition to win another CL with a team that has a good squad.
This is more than enough to be a respectable decision.

BTW as for PSG, I didn't like them before they got oiled and now I dislike them even more :lol:
I don't know why, I just never liked them, to me always felt like a fake arrogant capital team pretending to be on the same level as the actual big historical french clubs.
Sorry PSG fans, it's just my mind, it's one of those irrational things in your head :lol:

Bebestation

Portuguese League
EPL
La Liga
Serie A

Is the same as

La Liga & Ligue 1

To some people :lol:

Oh dear

Talking about only ever playing in leagues that had at max a 1.5 teams of competition. :drool:

I can't wait to see how he does there!

It's also funny because Messi said he had offers from other teams - but no :drool: he wants PSG and PSG only! :lol:

Achievements of one player destroys the other who has hardly been in a competition at all, always will.

Jagga7

Portuguese League
EPL
La Liga
Serie A

Is the same as

La Liga & Ligue 1

To some people :lol:

Oh dear

Talking about only ever playing in leagues that had at max a 1.5 teams of competition. :drool:

I can't wait to see how he does there!

It's also funny because Messi said he had offers from other teams - but no :drool: he wants PSG and PSG only! :lol:

Achievements of one player destroys the other who has hardly been in a competition at all, always will.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Embarrassing post.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Might be better leagues but also less competition / even more of a one-horse league. Both of them have had 2 different winners in the last 10 seasons: Inter once, Dortmund once, the other 18 titles have been Bayern and Juventus. Ligue 1 has had 4 different winners in the last 10 seasons. Of course you can allocate that to the ineptitude of PSG rather than the strength of the league, but for me it would've been equally stupid for Messi to go to a team like Bayern than to a team like PSG.

Realistically, only teams which are currently heavy favourites to win the league were able to afford him in the first place and if you sign Messi, even as an outside contender rather than a big favourite, you immediately become the favourite so yeah... Dunno. He doesn't have anything left to prove of course so I've got a bit of a "whatever" feeling, but it doesn't fill me with joy that he's joining PSG either.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Might be better leagues but also less competition / even more of a one-horse league. Both of them have had 2 different winners in the last 10 seasons: Inter once, Dortmund once, the other 18 titles have been Bayern and Juventus. Ligue 1 has had 4 different winners in the last 10 seasons. Of course you can allocate that to the ineptitude of PSG rather than the strength of the league, but for me it would've been equally stupid for Messi to go to a team like Bayern than to a team like PSG.
Like many have stated Premier league would had been sweet, even if he would join Manchester City. It isn't that much better that La Liga in terms of the competition as Manchester Ciy would be favorites every season, and more so with him, but the league is stronger and a better competition than League One, so I really don't mind if he goes to a stacked team but his league campaign is going to be irrelevant and most people would judge PSG only by their UCL campaign.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Like many have stated Premier league would had been sweet, even if he would join Manchester City. It isn't that much better that La Liga in terms of the competition as Manchester Ciy would be favorites every season, and more so with him, but the league is stronger and a better competition than League One, so I really don't mind if he goes to a stacked team but his league campaign is going to be irrelevant and most people would judge PSG only by their UCL campaign.
Yeah definitely agreed, but even helping the PL champions of 3 of the last 4 seasons to another title wouldn't reaaaally have elevated his status to me anymore. He would've had to join a team like Arsenal/Tottenham and make them champions in order to add to his legacy for me, so yeah I don't mind either that he goes to an already stacked team. Only winning the CL would mean something at PSG though, and even then they've been really close without him in the recent past as well.

I'm hoping they don't win one with him though.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah definitely agreed, but even helping the PL champions of 3 of the last 4 seasons to another title wouldn't reaaaally have elevated his status to me anymore. He would've had to join a team like Arsenal/Tottenham and make them champions in order to add to his legacy for me, so yeah I don't mind either that he goes to an already stacked team. Only winning the CL would mean something at PSG though, and even then they've been really close without him in the recent past as well.

I'm hoping they don't win one with him though.
Oh I get what you're saying now. At his age it wouldn't make sense to join a team like that and like you say he doesn't have anything to prove so for his personal goals is better for him to join a team that can realistically can challenge for the major titles. Also he's super expensive so that's why I can only picture him in Manchester City and PSG, so while it sounds cool to imagine him in teams like Bayern, Manchester United, Liverpool, Juventus, etc, don't think any of those would sign him maybe Real Madrir just to wind up Barcelona fans but that's also very unrealistic. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.