Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Did I say anywhere that he was the standout players? He was clearly still an important player for the European champions.

When you dribble you carry the ball a certain distance, it is certainly not implied that when you dribble, you dribble pass players.
But you're implying he was a big part of the reason Messi bagged 91 goals, when in actual fact Xavi had already gone backwards and didn't even set himself apart at Euro 2012. You were talking absolute nonsense.

I have no idea what you're saying in that last sentence, but let's just leave it there, Ronaldo is nowhere near good enough at dribbling for you to take that particular skill seriously, so why waste time on it.

Cal?

CR7 fan
i have no problem arguing with you about ronaldo and messi, but use the word "fanboi" one more time and you will be arguing with your little sister

got it?
So it's okay for your side to call people Ronaldo fan***, yet we're not allowed to retaliate in kind?

Cal?

CR7 fan
But you're implying he was a big part of the reason Messi bagged 91 goals, when in actual fact Xavi had already gone backwards and didn't even set himself apart at Euro 2012. You were talking absolute nonsense.

I have no idea what you're saying in that last sentence, but let's just leave it there, Ronaldo is nowhere near good enough at dribbling for you to take that particular skill seriously, so why waste time on it.
He was voted the 4th best player in the world in 2012, must be all those idiots not having your wisdom that he's "gone".

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
People are reading into just one aspect of football (dribbling), saying this aspect is the main area where you judge the best players and Messi is the best at it.

Ok, but how about Ronaldo in his career has shown he is a fantastic flare player, can beat defenders with pace or skill, won a Ballon d'or when he was this type of player but as now (at 29/30 years of age) adapted his game and become one of the world's most lethal finisher and won a Ballon d'Or again for being this type of player.

Rather than Ronaldo have points go against him for what he's become, should he be commended and have his legacy enhanced for winning the Ballon d'Or on 3 different occasions being 2 different types of footballer as he's proved what a compete footballer he is?
Someone said similar to this before (maybe it was you), but it's not quite true is it?

How is being two different types of proof that he's a complete player? A complete player could do everything at one point in time. When Cristiano was at his best as a dribbler, creator etc he wasn't the efficient goalscorer he is now. And now his dribbling, long shot ability and set pieces have declined.

If he puts it together then call him complete, until then he's not. Which is fine, being a complete player isn't important.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Credit has to be given to Ronaldo for his evolution as a player, he's won the ballon dor as an amazing winger and as this brutal finisher as people like to paint him now, it's quite remarkable.

Cal?

CR7 fan
so, when it suits you, the voting is a valuable argument, but when it doesnt, messi didnt deserve the ballon d'ors ...
Since apparently the 4 vs 3 is definitive proof that Messi is the better player according to some, I'm just using that argument against them. Anyway, I've always argued about the 2010 Ballon D'Or. Messi fully deserved it in 2012.

And regardless, the fact he was voted in 4th place means he must have done something right, you can argue that maybe he didn't deserve 4th but deserved 6th or even 8th, doesn't change the fact that Xavi was still one of the best players on the planet in 2012.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Since apparently the 4 vs 3 is definitive proof that Messi is the better player according to some, I'm just using that argument against them. Anyway, I've always argued about the 2010 Ballon D'Or. Messi fully deserved it in 2012.

And regardless, the fact he was voted in 4th place means he must have done something right, you can argue that maybe he didn't deserve 4th but deserved 6th or even 8th, doesn't change the fact that Xavi was still one of the best players on the planet in 2012.
fair enough

Fergus' son

Someone said similar to this before (maybe it was you), but it's not quite true is it?

How is being two different types of proof that he's a complete player? A complete player could do everything at one point in time. When Cristiano was at his best as a dribbler, creator etc he wasn't the efficient goalscorer he is now. And now his dribbling, long shot ability and set pieces have declined.

If he puts it together then call him complete, until then he's not. Which is fine, being a complete player isn't important.

It's similar to Giggs, he has shown over the course of his career two quite different styles of play and won the ballon dor with both, it's a great testament to his ability.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus

Well i would highly debate this years Balon d'or and last years Balon d'or both being given to Ronaldo, Di Maria was Madrid's best player last season and Ronaldo wins it just because he is getting the goals while having little impact on the pitch compared to Di Maria.

Then 2 seasons ago Ribery was on course to win it until Fifa "extended the voting process" just when Ronaldo happens to score 4 goals against Sweden and hits a good run of form for that month.

I agree Messi in 2011 didn't deserve it, i personally thought it should have been given to Sneijder.

Cal?

CR7 fan
And continue to argue that the Ballon d'Or means feck all..
Just 2 years ago, they were so so convinced that he was going to win it again and again and again until the end of time, what a difference 2 years makes. :smirk:

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
It's similar to Giggs, he has shown over the course of his career two quite different styles of play and won the ballon dor with both, it's a great testament to his ability.
It's absolutely not a bad thing. It's just not something that makes him (or Giggs) a complete player.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Well i would highly debate this years Balon d'or and last years Balon d'or both being given to Ronaldo, Di Maria was Madrid's best player last season and Ronaldo wins it just because he is getting the goals while having little impact on the pitch compared to Di Maria.

Then 2 seasons ago Ribery was on course to win it until Fifa "extended the voting process" just when Ronaldo happens to score 4 goals against Sweden and hits a good run of form for that month.

I agree Messi in 2011 didn't deserve it, i personally thought it should have been given to Sneijder.
It's becoming something of a myth that Ronaldo only scored unimportant goals for Madrid last year, mainly due to the CL final, if you watched most of their games last season, you'd realise that he was clearly the standout player in a very good side.

You make it sound like Fifa knew he was going to blow Sweden away in advance and changed the voting to help him, perhaps Ribery would have won it if Ronaldo played badly in those playoff games?

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
It's becoming something of a myth that Ronaldo only scored unimportant goals for Madrid last year, mainly due to the CL final, if you watched most of their games last season, you'd realise that he was clearly the standout player in a very good side.

You make it sound like Fifa knew he was going to blow Sweden away in advance and changed the voting to help him, perhaps Ribery would have won it if Ronaldo played badly in those playoff games?
What do you mean in advance? They extended the voting after the play-off games.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
He was voted the 4th best player in the world in 2012, must be all those idiots not having your wisdom that he's "gone".
and Pique keeps getting in the team of the year. This year thiago silva and david luiz made that team.

cal? you can't tell me Messi was voted the ballon d'or in 2012 undeservedly and then tell me Xavi was justifiably 4th in the Ballon D'or because he was voted there. You're all over the place sunshine.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I can't believe I come into this thread after not looking at a Messi vs Ronaldo thread for about 2 years and Cal is still in here arguing.

Fergus' son

It's absolutely not a bad thing. It's just not something that makes him (or Giggs) a complete player.

Clearly makes them more complete than a player that has never demonstrated the capacity to do so, IMO.

Cal?

CR7 fan

and Pique keeps getting in the team of the year. This year thiago silva and david luiz made that team.

cal? you can't tell me Messi was voted the ballon d'or in 2012 undeservedly and then tell me Xavi was justifiably 4th in the Ballon D'or because he was voted there. You're all over the place sunshine.
Touche

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus

Di Maria was still their best player last season regardless of who scored what. He was unbelievable last season and their most consistent player over the season. He even got moved to Centre mid because Bale took his place on the wing and he was fantastic.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Di Maria was still their best player last season regardless of who scored what. He was unbelievable last season and their most consistent player over the season. He even got moved to Centre mid because Bale took his place on the wing and he was fantastic.
He was fantastic, hence the fee we paid for him, but Ronaldo was more important.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
What? You mean they stopped the voting before the games and re-opened it after? :confused:
No, I mean they re-opened the voting after the game and allowed people to change their votes.

Cal?

CR7 fan
No, I mean they re-opened the voting after the game and allowed people to change their votes.
I wasn't aware of that, strange that Fifa did something nice for Ronaldo, considering Blatter made it quite clear he sides with the Messi fans.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I wasn't aware of that, strange that Fifa did something nice for Ronaldo, considering Blatter made it quite clear he sides with the Messi fans.
It's quite possible the shitstorm Blatter caused with his Cristiano comments is the reason the deadline extended. Who knows? Officially they say it was because there was a low turnout...

Cal?

CR7 fan
It's quite possible the shitstorm Blatter caused with his Cristiano comments is the reason the deadline extended. Who knows? Officially they say it was because there was a low turnout...
Interesting... I'd say Ribery deserved it that year, just like Sneijder did in 2010.

PvsNP

Interesting... I'd say Ribery deserved it that year, just like Sneijder did in 2010.
While a strong case can be made for Sneijder in 2010, it's important to remember the award is given for the calendar year, not for the season (which would make more sense, tbh). His second half of 2010 was utter gash, while Messi was still going strong that year.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
While a strong case can be made for Sneijder in 2010, it's important to remember the award is given for the calendar year, not for the season (which would make more sense, tbh). His second half of 2010 was utter gash, while Messi was still going strong that year.
Even then, I'd say Messi still deserved to win it that year. His level hadn't dropped at all from the previous year, he was getting better, and was widely considered to be the best footballer in the world.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
As much as i love Messi, Sneijder was the one still deserved it that year. Messi was the best player in the world but Sneijder did the treble with Inter and was their best player also getting to a WC final.

Raul Madrid

That was Modric. Di Maria didn't really get going (ie consistently play at a world class level) until February (despite being very good beforehand but not as consistently). Over the whole season Modric was the best player due to Ronaldo missing games due to injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.