• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He was in VVD's pocket that year.

PSG won (and played better) after he went off.
hahahajaja no he absolutely wasn’t Messi had more goals against Liverpool than any other player. Hell, even Mane was saying Messi deserved ballon d’or

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I thought my post was quite clearly not about footballing achievements but how people are going to view Messi and Ronaldo post-retirement. Ronaldo's prodigal son returns angle is going to put him way more favourably in people's minds than being a diva and trying to bankrupt a club (and even if that's not true, it's quite a common thought out there).
Not it united fail to win cl or epl. He’ll just be a far more expensive Cavani bought to make sure the fans wouldn’t riot had he gone to city.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think I've said somewhere else that this summer has been a PR war now the football arguments for each have been set. And Ronaldo is crushing it. Signing for PSG and this type of behaviour makes a massive dent in the Messi brand. Which I hate saying and makes me sound like a nob, but people remember the final years often much more than players peaks.
not for me they don't

Not getting off to the best start in his quest to show he can do it without the supporting cast, even in a third tier league.

Meanwhile Ronaldo is smashing goals in for fun in a far, far harder environment. I bet its eating him inside.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just seen that Messi refused to shake Poch’s hand after coming off.

This should be noted Messi is a little wee bastard that needs to have his way.

I’m telling you Ronaldo is better. There I’ve said it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Just seen that Messi refused to shake Poch’s hand after coming off.

This should be noted Messi is a little wee bastard that needs to have his way.

I’m telling you Ronaldo is better. There I’ve said it.
Give him time. He's still a little kid coming to a new country and League.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Not getting off to the best start in his quest to show he can do it without the supporting cast, even in a third tier league.

Meanwhile Ronaldo is smashing goals in for fun in a far, far harder environment. I bet its eating him inside.
It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.

Gehrman

messi refusing to take a pay cut to stay at Barca the team that gave him everything also dented his brand. He would’ve still been one of the highest earners in football even with the pay cut But he pussied out and went to PSG who were the only team that would pay him the wages he wants.
It's kind of already been covered, but Messi literally couldn't sign a new contract Barca with the La liga rules even if he wanted to play for free.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
I thought my post was quite clearly not about footballing achievements but how people are going to view Messi and Ronaldo post-retirement. Ronaldo's prodigal son returns angle is going to put him way more favourably in people's minds than being a diva and trying to bankrupt a club (and even if that's not true, it's quite a common thought out there).
I think you mean in Man Utd fan's minds. Don't think neutrals care too much about that.

ROFLUTION

If doing comparisons, then it's also worth noting Ronaldo is 3 years older and still has gone to a greater league, while Messi has gone to france.

On the top of my head I can't remember any great french club-team performances in Europe over the last couple of years. Might be wrong, but it does say something about the level of the league Messi has decided to prove himself in. It's not like City didn't want him. In Spain you have Sevilla, Atletico, Barca and Real who does it in Europe, in France you mainly have PSG (until they flop again)

Real Name

Love how Ronaldo didnt make a thing of being subbed against Young Boys, yet Messi is acting like a kid for being subbed.

Bole Top

Might be wrong, but it does say something about the level of the league Messi has decided to prove himself in.
he went where he will be paid the most, where he will win trophies and where he can play with his buddies while awaiting the ballon d'or ceremony. that's it. he couldn't care less about what average Joe thinks a proper challenge should be to him. "proving" something to complete nobodies after all he has done in football is the last thing he thinks about. in general, neither Messi neither Ronaldo care about what average people think of them - or any other person on that level, be it in tennis, basketball, wherever.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If doing comparisons, then it's also worth noting Ronaldo is 3 years older and still has gone to a greater league, while Messi has gone to france.

On the top of my head I can't remember any great french club-team performances in Europe over the last couple of years. Might be wrong, but it does say something about the level of the league Messi has decided to prove himself in. It's not like City didn't want him. In Spain you have Sevilla, Atletico, Barca and Real who does it in Europe, in France you mainly have PSG (until they flop again)
In the last 2 years, PSG reached the final and semi final of the CL which isn't bad I'd say.

ROFLUTION

he went where he will be paid the most, where he will win trophies and where he can play with his buddies while awaiting the ballon d'or ceremony. that's it. he couldn't care less about what average Joe thinks a proper challenge should be to him. "proving" something to complete nobodies after all he has done in football is the last thing he thinks about. in general, neither Messi neither Ronaldo care about what average people think of them - or any other person on that level, be it in tennis, basketball, wherever.
I don't think that's completely true. Ronaldo's move to the Premier League is for his legacy clearly. They aim to be the best in the World both, and who judges who's the best in the World? Stats + the common man + football experts. So I don't buy the notion that they don't care what average people think of them, as their opinion is also a great deal of the equation of what their legacy will be about.

Also Messi's reaction to winning Copa America (tears), I think it does mean that he cares for what the public says. Don't believe those tears just stem from a personal and professional level of wanting to achieve the most. It's been years of hurt for him on international level with a lot of people talking, so of course the average people's opinion means something.

Bole Top

So I don't buy the notion that they don't care what average people think of them, as their opinion is also a great deal of the equation of what their legacy will be about.
dude, they don't care about you. as far as they are concered, you don't even exist.

Gehrman

Yet they signed Depay officially with La Liga just a few days after Messi left. Ergo, bollox.
Of course he could’ve stayed on a Depay-esque wage or free.
Due to La Liga rules, he could max take a 50% paycut which still wouldn't have been enough to let him register.

Bole Top

Why are you talking about me personally? :lol: Seems strange, as the debate is whether they care for the public opinion or not.
I'm not. it goes without saying that the same goes for me, you or any other caf member.

Gehrman

Yeah, they did. I knew it would be easy to find 1 or 2 examples. But really - Is that much compared to other leagues?
In the last couple of years it's decent. But no, we don't in general rate the french league very high.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don‘t think present performances will decide the GOAT debate nor are they really relevant since both are miles off their peak and at the end of their careers.
I love Ronaldo but to be absolutely honest, in my opinion Messi could have retired in 2015 and would still be the undisputed GOAT
He may still be regarded as best player of all time as people tend to look at their peak rather than career, but his achievement wouldn’t be able match Ronaldo at all if he retired in 2015.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Going to PSG was a dumb move anyway.

Either we did really well and people would be like "yeah, but he is playing in an inferior league" or he flops and people will compare it to the Ronaldo move back to the premier league and in this case, it seems like Ronaldo will look a lot better in this picture.

He barely started playing for PSG and he already looks like he just wants to run away from there as fast as possible
He will have to win CL with PSG and hopes that Ronaldo doesn’t win PL with Man Utd, in order to end up looking better. Anything else would probably make him look worse.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What has Ronaldo done in the last 3 years that's of any significance?

Moved to a league to play for a team that's won the league 7 years in a row. Lost the golden boot to the a 36 year old and lost it again the season after. Poor Champions league performances by his standard. Knocked out in the champions league 3 years in a row to "farmers league" teams (Ajax, Lyon, Porto).

A couple of tap ins against Newcastle and West Ham isn't going to suddenly swing peoples view.
Of course you can always focus on the negatives, but to answer your question in bold:

- Won 5 trophies in 3 season there. (More trophies than Messi at Barca over same period)
- Scored 101 goals in 134 games (by far best goalscorer in Italy during the same period, also the fastest player to reach 100 goals in Juventus history)
- Won every team trophies and individual awards over there, except CL (Messi hasn’t won 1 CL either over past 6 years)
- Broke Juventus 80+ years record of scoring most goal in a season
- Become the first player in history to win every team trophies and individual awards in top 3 league
- Become first player in history to score over 100 goals in top 3 country
- most consecutive goals scored in Serie A over a season

Last edited:

Gehrman

It absolutely is, basic employment law.
All the media outlets say there is a spanish employment law that says that a players new contract cannot be less than 50% of the previous one to avoid finacial manipulation. Regardless of all of that, he wanted to leave last summer and it's kind of weird that Messi gets so much stick for leaving Barcelona when all his haters wanted him to leave and now he left, he just didnt join the club they wanted him to join. Which seems to be City. It would be stupid to play for Depay-esque wages anyway. If your the best in the world at your job, you want to be paid what the market thinks you're worth. Ronaldo is the highest paid footballer in the premiere league. But he's also still one of the best in the world.

All the media outlets say there is a spanish employment law that says that a players new contract cannot be less than 50% of the previous one to avoid finacial manipulation. Regardless of all of that, he wanted to leave last summer and it's kind of weird that Messi gets so much stick for leaving Barcelona when all his haters wanted him to leave and now he left, he just didnt join the club they wanted him to join. Which seems to be City.
All the media outlets? It came from one dodgy source and it relates to existing contract amendments.
Basically an employer in a bad financial situation can alter the contracts of employees for a wage reduction of no more than 50%. So Barca’s undet contract players Pique, Busquets etc could not agree to take more than a 50% pay cut.

Messi wasn’t currently employed by Barcelona, he was out of contract, a free agent and unemployed, he and the club can offer and agree on whatever the feck they like above minimum wage, obviously.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
All the media outlets? It came from one dodgy source and it relates to existing contract amendments.
Basically an employer in a bad financial situation can alter the contracts of employees for a wage reduction of no more than 50%. So Barca’s undet contract players Pique, Busquets etc could not agree to take more than a 50% pay cut.

Messi wasn’t currently employed by Barcelona, he was out of contract, a free agent and unemployed, he and the club can offer and agree on whatever the feck they like above minimum wage, obviously.
Honest question, do you know what you're talking about? Because I admit that I have no knowledge of these things and intuitively I could imagine both are the case: It could be a completely different situation because Messi was out of contract but it could also be the other way round since he still was a Barcelona player until recently, triggering some kind of exception or something similar. There are many laws that leave some room for interpretation.

Moreover, I noticed you come across very angry in the majority of your posts. I don't know if that's intended or not, but I think you should relax a little once a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.