• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Peak Messi overruns peak Ronaldo.

Peak Ronaldo was in his first years at Madrid, people is hyping last Ronaldo years in Spain because of the CL wins, but his peak was before he won the tri-Champions in a row.
There is a misconception that peak performances = trophies...so whenever a player win trophies they assume that he individually played better than when he didn't win anything.

Messi played Copa America 2021 as good as he did in Copas 2016-2019, but i saw some people assuming he played better in 2021 just because he won the trophy.

Same energy with Cr7 at Real Madrid, people understimate how good was Cr7 in his first years in Spain in terms of dribble,vision, and pace because he barely won any trophy and Real Madrid got outperformed by a monstrous Barcelona.
Peak/prime R9 didn't win much or anything either. Still people will say he was at his best before his injuries. People have to be able to tell the difference between a players peak and a teams peak because it's not always the same.

Ronaldo's Fan Boy

I just finished watching Rennes vs. PSG.

So far, Ronaldo has done much more at United than Messi at PSG. Even Messi's fans can't argue with that.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

So far, Ronaldo has done much more at United than Messi at PSG. Even Messi's fans can't argue with that.
Ronaldo has scored against mostly mediocre competition so far but he has been doing better for sure but I wouldn’t say much better at all. However, Messi is creating tons of chances like this morning yet PSG’s finishing was terrible.

People seeing that if Messi didn’t score or assist and assume he had a bad game are off the mark. Against Rennes he was still comfortably PSG’s best attacking player.

I bet Daydreamer can. Oh yes, there he is. Ronaldo has apparently been doing it against small teams, whilst Messi has been providing chances in the French league :drool:

This discussion is hilarious.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

I'd have both Pele, Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo in my top tier of GOAT too, and agree any ranking among the 4 is more of a matter of preference / based opinion. All four of them of could have a strong claim on their own:

Pele - Most decorated player ever, with "3" WC and "1000+" goals. His footballing is ahead of his time, with a well mix of athleticism, skills and productivity. No one clicks more box than him when we are setting any criteria for GOAT - be it WC success, club success, trophies won or indivudual stats etc. He is biggest football icon in history.

Maradona - 86 WC will be forever remembered as the absolute highest peak a footballer could ever reach. 2 Serie A titles with Napoli in mid late 80s is also legendary. Probably the best ever dribbler/playmaker too, and probably the only player ever who is capable of carrying the team on his own at the highest level to dominate the biggest competition and winning the biggest trophy.

Messi - 6 times Ballon D'or winner, probably won more motm out of any players out there, and probably the most consistence performer of all time, who is also among the most elite goalscorer, dribbler and playmaker of all time. If we choose the best ever player in terms of performance, productivity and consistency, Messi would probably be ahead of everyone else.

Ronaldo - 5 times CL winner and 5 times Ballon D'or winner, holding all time record of most career goal, most CL goal and most international goal. Revolutionise inverted wing forward role as main goalscorer. Probably the most clutch player ever and best winner in modern time, with unmatched longevity, and greatest mentality out of all footballers.
Amazing post!!!

I'd have both Pele, Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo in my top tier of GOAT too, and agree any ranking among the 4 is more of a matter of preference / based opinion. All four of them of could have a strong claim on their own:

Pele - Most decorated player ever, with "3" WC and "1000+" goals. His footballing is ahead of his time, with a well mix of athleticism, skills and productivity. No one clicks more box than him when we are setting any criteria for GOAT - be it WC success, club success, trophies won or indivudual stats etc. He is biggest football icon in history.

Maradona - 86 WC will be forever remembered as the absolute highest peak a footballer could ever reach. 2 Serie A titles with Napoli in mid late 80s is also legendary. Probably the best ever dribbler/playmaker too, and probably the only player ever who is capable of carrying the team on his own at the highest level to dominate the biggest competition and winning the biggest trophy.

Messi - 6 times Ballon D'or winner, probably won more motm out of any players out there, and probably the most consistence performer of all time, who is also among the most elite goalscorer, dribbler and playmaker of all time. If we choose the best ever player in terms of performance, productivity and consistency, Messi would probably be ahead of everyone else.

Ronaldo - 5 times CL winner and 5 times Ballon D'or winner, holding all time record of most career goal, most CL goal and most international goal. Revolutionise inverted wing forward role as main goalscorer. Probably the most clutch player ever and best winner in modern time, with unmatched longevity, and greatest mentality out of all footballers.
Stop with this well considered post stuff, it’s not the thread for that.

Bang on though, different players, different times, incredible achievements.

Ronaldo has scored against mostly mediocre competition so far but he has been doing better for sure but I wouldn’t say much better at all. However, Messi is creating tons of chances like this morning yet PSG’s finishing was terrible.

People seeing that if Messi didn’t score or assist and assume he had a bad game are off the mark. Against Rennes he was still comfortably PSG’s best attacking player.
Yeah, if you take out Mbappe. Messi did nothing.

Ronaldo and Messi are both playing in slightly dysfunctional teams but only one of them is performing so far. Messi isn't doing a great job of dispelling the idea he can't perform without a supporting cast.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah, if you take out Mbappe. Messi did nothing.

Ronaldo and Messi are both playing in slightly dysfunctional teams but only one of them is performing so far. Messi isn't doing a great job of dispelling the idea he can't perform without a supporting cast.
Absolutely moronic take. Messi hit the cross bar and crated more chances than anyone else. Had the best player rating of any psg player.

Ronaldo has scored against mostly weak teams, Messi scoring against man city was more impressive even though Ronaldo has been better at united but he’s also had some poor stretches as well. You speak a ton of nonsense.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I bet Daydreamer can. Oh yes, there he is. Ronaldo has apparently been doing it against small teams, whilst Messi has been providing chances in the French league :drool:

This discussion is hilarious.
You miss the goal against City? Noticed you disappeared from that thread as soon as Messi scored.

Absolutely moronic take. Messi hit the cross bar and crated more chances than anyone else. Had the best player rating of any psg player.

Ronaldo has scored against mostly weak teams, Messi scoring against man city was more impressive even though Ronaldo has been better at united but he’s also had some poor stretches as well. You speak a ton of nonsense.
:lol:

I watched the game. Clearly you just went on whoscored and saw Messi hit the bar and had a high rating. Mbappe was actually dangerous, though, unlike his teammate.

If Ronaldo has scored against weak teams, what are Rennes and Club Brugge? Oh yeah, teams Messi couldn't score against.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
:lol:

I watched the game. Clearly you just went on whoscored and saw Messi hit the bar and had a high rating. Mbappe was actually dangerous, though, unlike his teammate.

If Ronaldo has scored against weak teams, what are Rennes and Club Brugge? Oh yeah, teams Messi couldn't score against.
Messi scored against City, which again is more impressive than any team Ronaldo has played.

I watched the whole match, you just see that Messi didn’t score or assist and assume he was poor which was not the case. I’m not saying he was amazing at all but this moronic takes of “he can’t play with another supporting cast” despite literally just winning a trophy with an Argentina side with a cast that mostly wasn’t there prior to 2018 shows you dumb your take was.

I’ve already said Ronaldo has had a better start with United than Messi at PSG but this notion that Messi has been poor with psg is laughable. He’s already hit the woodwork 4 times this season, his passing is still fantastic.

Messi scored against City, which again is more impressive than any team Ronaldo has played.

I watched the whole match, you just see that Messi didn’t score or assist and assume he was poor which was not the case. I’m not saying he was amazing at all but this moronic takes of “he can’t play with another supporting cast” despite literally just winning a trophy with an Argentina side with a cast that mostly wasn’t there prior to 2018 shows you dumb your take was.

I’ve already said Ronaldo has had a better start with United than Messi at PSG but this notion that Messi has been poor with psg is laughable. He’s already hit the woodwork 4 times this season, his passing is still fantastic.
If only you got points for hitting the post...

IFC 1905

I think today was Messi's best performance since he joined PSG. He could have 2-3 assists and a goal, wasn't lucky.

But their game is really bad, just like Bacelona's was with him. They were much better during the 1st half while Verratti and Gana were playing, since they do vertical passes unlike Herrera.

I think he'll do better as long as he keeps knowing his teammates, he didn't have a preseason aswell.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I think today was Messi's best performance since he joined PSG. He could have 2-3 assists and a goal, wasn't lucky.

But their game is really bad, just like Bacelona's was with him. They were much better during the 1st half while Verratti and Gana were playing, since they do vertical passes unlike Herrera.

I think he'll do better as long as he keeps knowing his teammates, he didn't have a preseason aswell.
Exactly. Anyone thinking Messi was poor in today’s match needs their head examined. I wouldn’t say he’s been amazing for PSG overall but he’s getting better.
Don’t think Poch will stay on though

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I love Messi you nutter, absolute class. I just fan posters like yourself camped in a thread everyday defending one player a bizarre watch, kinda like watching a car crash.
Haha so I’ve been arguing with someone who is in agreement with me.

If you’ve been enjoying my posts I assure you season 2 will be even better;)

MrEleson

I know the general notion round here is that the people who really understand football know Messi is better but why is it almost all of the younger generation prefer Cristiano?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I know the general notion round here is that the people who really understand football know Messi is better but why is it almost all of the younger generation prefer Cristiano?
If signing Ronaldo somehow leads to us signing Mbappe on a free then United are absolute geniuses.

MrEleson

If signing Ronaldo somehow leads to us signing Mbappe on a free then United are absolute geniuses.
I wish! But wouldn’t happen. Mbappe idolised the Ronaldo that played for Madrid. He grew up watching that club so he’ll only move to them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Some people don’t care about American sport so it’s understandable. But he is one of the most famous sportspeople in the world…..
Not here he isn't. Im quite sure 90% of people in my social circle I'd ask who is Tom Brady would probably answer that dude from the Brady bunch. Whereas even my 80 year old mom knows who Messi, Federer or Gaston Taument are.

Though that last one is probably because she got me the Gaston Taument growth measuring poster when I was 8.

By the way is Dan Marino from Ace Ventura a real person too? I always confuse the 2

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
I can't answer that, but I preferred Cristiano up until 2017 or so, If that helps. Both Greenwood and Haaland prefer Messi so that's a sweeping statement anyway

MrEleson

I can't answer that, but I preferred Cristiano up until 2017 or so, If that helps. Both Greenwood and Haaland prefer Messi so that's a sweeping statement anyway
Not true. Haaland said the reason he became pro was because of Ronaldo. He listed both CR7 and Ibra as his inspirations. Likewise, Sancho. Greenwood is the only one of note that prefers Messi.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
That's just Mbappe, even haaland said he think Messi will the 2025 Ballon D'or

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Pocho

Here in a United forum, most people think Messi is better. So no.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yeh I think perhaps he has similar views as me in terms of Ballon D’or standing, I also think Messi would win more Ballon D’or when they both retired, but I’ve heard he used to idolise Ronaldo when he is growing up, or something.
yeah in fairness that doesn’t surprise me as Haaland game is more ronaldo style than Messi for sure

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm not sure about that, they're both very popular but my impression is that Messi is the more popular, or at least more likeable but like I said is more like a popularity issue.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don’t know how others think, and I am not sure if younger generations think Ronaldo is better, or just prefer him as their football idol (not necessarily means they think he is better, if you know what I mean). Afterall, Ronaldo is by far the most followed person in social media, which reflects his popularity among younger generations.

But for me at least, even I’ve always acknowledged Messi as better player, Ronaldo just give me more thrills/excitement/emotional ride in his younger years from a young fans perspective (full of speed, showboating skills/tricks, looks trendy, young kids or teenagers might tend to admire this type more). He is also to me more relatable in terms of his mentality and clutchness in his later years (catching from 1-4 behind in Ballon D’or, to 5-5 against someone who is more talented and successful than him, by sheer determination, hardwork and hunger for success). It’s just a bigger inspiration to me, makes me think nothing is impossible.

Whereas Messi skills level is too “untrainable” and his career is too “non-relatable” to me (perhaps because I never follow/fancy Barca or Argentina), also playing for far superior team during his peak, makes it harder for me to appreciate him more, or idolise him in my teenage/younger years. Of course even at one point, I’d think he is probably the best, doesn’t mean I’d have to prefer him by any rights.

But not everyone is looking from the same ways as I do, there could be many young people preferring Messi too, afterall his talent and skill level is rather “unmatched” in past 2 decades or so, you know.

Last edited:

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston

Because they prefer a serial winner. What’s that saying — hard work beats talent when talents doesn’t work hard enough? Something like that. And it summarizes Cristiano vs. Messi when comparing the 2 (not anyone else). And to state the obvious again, not to say Messi doesn’t work hard. But this is specifically when comparing the 2. And it’s Ronnie without a doubt. His work ethic and consistency is untouchable.

Like imo, Messi is the better all arounder talented footballer. It’s cool and all but often times it’s not enough as he doesn’t put it together when it matters most. Ronaldo on the other hand? He doesn’t do as many things that he used to in the past (people forget how dynamic he was in his United/early RM days and it’s quite sad) because he’s become efficient and has specialized in what makes him most effective better than any other footballer. Not saying that 1 is better/worse than the other because both are so so amazing. It’s just that when you put the chips in the middle and stack them both against each other, Ronnie’s clutch gene is better and it’s undeniable. It’s the cherry on top for not only me, but the new generation of footballers. However I’m certain there’s others (like Greenwood) who prefer Messi because he has all the tools in the tool kit. …..me personally, I don’t really care about the amount of tools (or lack of) specifically when comparing the 2. The difference maker is who shows up with their tools when it matters most. Again, that’s Cristiano.

as well as mentality which I haven’t really touched on either. It’s funny to think how misconceived Ronnie was only a few years ago, that people/media span it as if he was some piss poor teammate. Turns out that’s a lot more-so Messi (when comparing the 2!) than him and it’s well known now in the footballing universe. I get that not everyone is or has to be a vocal leader to lead (which Messi doesn’t do nearly as much to the extent as CR7); if not that, then it’s by play and body language. And boy when the tough gets going, Messi slouches around, head down, walking with not a single care in the world, with honestly quite shocking body language for someone as talented as he is. Whereas Ronnie, not only vocally is he making a difference with his teammates but his demeanour never lets down. How inspiring is that when your best player that everyone looks to in the biggest moment is optimistic and never giving up? So it’s honestly not all that surprising when considering that, why Messi more often has disappeared in the biggest stages/moments/spotlight/whatever you want to call it than Ronaldo. Goes back to that whole talent-hard work thing…behaviour and mannerisms don’t go unnoticed either and clearly it’s had an impact to their legacies and lasting images in the eyes of footballing fans.

& in my opinion (plus a whole lot of others), it’s why the balance is tipped in favour of one/CR7 over the other/Messi. Like I said before it’s not really a huge deal but it’s the icing on top. That’s why Ronnie earns the nod. In the biggest stage, everyone knows he’ll show up and won’t go down without a fight — same can’t be said for Lionel. He’s like the Tom Brady or Kobe Bryant/MJ of football. May not be as all around talented as another player that’s in their league and close enough to be a compared to (like Peyton Manning or Lebron). But everyone knows those players never-say-die effort, thus always being reliable on to show up when the stakes are raised the highest is what propels then above their competitors.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Because they prefer a serial winner. What’s that saying — hard work beats talent when talents doesn’t work hard enough? Something like that. And it summarizes Cristiano vs. Messi when comparing the 2 (not anyone else). And to state the obvious again, not to say Messi doesn’t work hard. But this is specifically when comparing the 2. And it’s Ronnie without a doubt. His work ethic and consistency is untouchable.

Like imo, Messi is the better all arounder talented footballer. It’s cool and all but often times it’s not enough as he doesn’t put it together when it matters most. Ronaldo on the other hand? He doesn’t do as many things that he used to in the past (people forget how dynamic he was in his United/early RM days and it’s quite sad) because he’s become efficient and has specialized in what makes him most effective better than any other footballer. Not saying that 1 is better/worse than the other because both are so so amazing. It’s just that when you put the chips in the middle and stack them both against each other, Ronnie’s clutch gene is better and it’s undeniable. It’s the cherry on top for not only me, but the new generation of footballers. However I’m certain there’s others (like Greenwood) who prefer Messi because he has all the tools in the tool kit. …..me personally, I don’t really care about the amount of tools (or lack of) specifically when comparing the 2. The difference maker is who shows up with their tools when it matters most. Again, that’s Cristiano.

as well as mentality which I haven’t really touched on either. It’s funny to think how misconceived Ronnie was only a few years ago, that people/media span it as if he was some piss poor teammate. Turns out that’s a lot more-so Messi (when comparing the 2!) than him and it’s well known now in the footballing universe. I get that not everyone is or has to be a vocal leader to lead (which Messi doesn’t do nearly as much to the extent as CR7); if not that, then it’s by play and body language. And boy when the tough gets going, Messi slouches around, head down, walking with not a single care in the world, with honestly quite shocking body language for someone as talented as he is. Whereas Ronnie, not only vocally is he making a difference with his teammates but his demeanour never lets down. How inspiring is that when your best player that everyone looks to in the biggest moment is optimistic and never giving up? So it’s honestly not all that surprising when considering that, why Messi more often has disappeared in the biggest stages/moments/spotlight/whatever you want to call it than Ronaldo. Goes back to that whole talent-hard work thing…behaviour and mannerisms don’t go unnoticed either and clearly it’s had an impact to their legacies and lasting images in the eyes of footballing fans.

& in my opinion (plus a whole lot of others), it’s why the balance is tipped in favour of one/CR7 over the other/Messi. Like I said before it’s not really a huge deal but it’s the icing on top. That’s why Ronnie earns the nod. In the biggest stage, everyone knows he’ll show up and won’t go down without a fight — same can’t be said for Lionel. He’s like the Tom Brady or Kobe Bryant/MJ of football. May not be as all around talented as another player that’s in their league and close enough to be a compared to (like Peyton Manning or Lebron). But everyone knows those players never-say-die effort, thus always being reliable on to show up when the stakes are raised the highest is what propels then above their competitors.
Your clutch gene can’t be better when you have less trophies. How does that work?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Trophies are team awards, no correlation to the point I was saying.

Common footballing knowledge really.
Clutch equates to winning. E.g. Michael Jordan is deemed more clutch because he has more championships than Lebron James. Tom Brady is deemed more clutch than Aaron Rodgers because he has more Super Bowl rings. How do you claim someone is more clutch with less trophies? Yes Ronaldo has one more CL (at the moment, Messi is younger and could catch and pass him on that) but football is about more than one competition, unlike the American sports where the notion of ‘clutch’ comes from. They played in the same league for 10 years, Messi had 6 titles to Ronaldo’s 2. They’ve faced off many times including in the CL final and semi final, Messi showed up, Ronaldo didn’t.

So how do you claim more clutch with less trophies?

Can you give an example in any sport at all of two practitioners where one is considered more clutch than the other despite having less trophies?

I mean, this is common sports knowledge ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.