Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rojow

United fans will see how is an old Ronaldo and what his game has become. Same could be said for Messi and the difference is and will be abysmal.

And when they both retire, we will se how different they were in Youtube. Now it's just some fanboys that can't accept his boy can't be named the best player in history just being a goalscorer.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Not really watched Messi lately so wont comment on him.

But Ronaldo in his last game reminded me of me seeing my dad grow old and frail when I was used to him been such a fit person.

In our game against you guys, he just seemed to be there to accept a killer pass to score a goal, so basically a number 9 without any movement or pressing. Now if he scores a very high % of chances he gets, then that may be worth it, but it seemed to me you were playing with 10 men, as Ronaldo wasn't putting in a shift, whether that was down to he cant do it anymore because his legs have gone or he cant be bothered, we don't know, but if I see Vardy play like that then it will be a sad day.

On the other stuff like his goals been against weaker teams, I think the points have merit but they also shouldn't be used to discredit his record. There is many strikers out there who wouldn't get the goals against the same opposition, it may be easier to score against those teams, but its not easy to the point that the goals are not credible.

Only you guys know what you want, do you think its right to build a team around a 36 year old? Taking months of training etc. to make the team play that way and it would be a short term investment. From an outsider looking in, it seems like a signing that's been imposed on your manager.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Lets pour a bit of gasoline here ^^

Stupid to have him behind Luiz Ronaldo. Although I think he's up there in ability in his prime/peak, it finished very early due to injuries

Anderson-son-son's Son

Very long time lurker of RedCafe. Talking maybe 14 years I've been reading this forum on and off since the age of 14. I've never really been compelled to create an account to contribute, not least because I don't have the time... until I started reading this thread which compelled me to.

Probably only noticed this thread a few months ago. At first I only looked at it sporadically because I thought it was just saying the same arguments repeatedly, but now it's regular reading. I'm totally fascinated by how cult like the fanboyism is on both sides. It's absolutely incredible how people can just disingenuously cherry pick facts or jump to this thread as soon as their hero has had a good game to prove they're right to somebody who they've never met on the internet and whose mind they won't change.

I mean just in terms of where I stand, despite being a Manchester United fan I think Messi is objectively the better player given overall influence on a game. Although that being said, the Messi fanboys in this thread are by far the worst. Far more condescending, pompous, and unreceptive of the opposing viewpoint.

On the one hand I created an account to say that the majority of you with 200+ posts in this thread alone need to honestly re-evaluate what you're doing with your lives. But on the other hand the constant mental gymnastics and lack of objectivity is hilarious to watch and is keeping me tuned in. My favourite nugget over the last few weeks was when one of the deluded Barca fans tried to claim an unmarked header from Messi in the CL final vs Man United was the greater goal vs Ronaldo's bicycle kick. Wow, that got me good.

So yeah just to let you guys know, this pantomine whilst incredibly sad is great to watch and you have a fan.

Last edited:

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Re: Man of the match awards. I saw this on twitter, would love Cal? to confirm it.

*Suarez & Neymar-65 MOTM'S
*Ibrahimovic-89 MOTM'S
*Eden Hazard-90 MOTM'S
*Ronaldo- 125 MOTM'S
*Messi-225 MOTM'S

On a side note it shows how crazy good Hazard was at his prime... but that's for tha Salah vs prime Hazard thread

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Very long time lurker of RedCafe. Talking maybe 14 years I've been reading this forum on and off since the age of 14. I've never really been compelled to create an account to contribute, not least because I don't have the time... until I started reading this thread which compelled me to.

Probably only noticed this thread a few months ago. At first I only looked at it sporadically because I thought it was just saying the same arguments repeatedly, but now it's regular reading. I'm totally fascinated by how cult like the fanboyism is on both sides. It's absolutely incredible how people can just disingenuously cherry pick facts or jump to this thread as soon as their hero has had a good game to prove they're right to somebody who they've never met on the internet and whose mind they won't change.

I mean just in terms of where I stand, despite being a Manchester United fan I think Messi is objectively the better player given overall influence on a game. Although that being said, the Messi fanboys in this thread are by far the worst. Far more condescending, pompous, and unreceptive of the opposing viewpoint.

On the one hand I created an account to say that the majority of you with 200+ posts in this thread alone need to honestly re-evaluate what you're doing with your lives. But on the other hand the constant mental gymnastics and lack of objectivity is hilarious to watch and is keeping me tuned in. My favourite nugget over the last few weeks was when one of the deluded Barca fans tried to claim an unmarked header from Messi in the CL final vs Man United was the greater goal vs Ronaldo's bicycle kick. Wow, that got me good.

So yeah just to let you guys know, this pantomine whilst incredibly sad is great to watch and you have a fan.
So you read this forum over the span of 14 years, never made an account, but the thought of lecturing other people you never met to not spend their time discussing woth people they never met? Of course not without mentioning that you are actually really, really busy.

Mate, you're so superior. Would you mind telling me your real name so I can name my firstborn after you? :)

Anderson-son-son's Son

So you read this forum over the span of 14 years, never made an account, but the thought of lecturing other people you never met to not spend their time discussing woth people they never met? Of course not without mentioning that you are actually really, really busy.

Mate, you're so superior. Would you mind telling me your real name so I can name my firstborn after you? :)
Very strange and defensive post. I wasn't trying to suggest I'm superior at all. Although I guess being defensive is a pre-requisite for being active in a thread where people blindly and unobjectively defend either Messi or Ronaldo.

Clearly my principal point was that it's interesting to see how cult like the fanboyism is, and for that precise reason it's pretty futile trying to change the other side's mind. Although at the same time the thread is very entertaining.

Also, as for your "actually really, really, really busy" misrepresentation, I only mentioned being busy as an aside. After all mentioning that I've lurked for 14 hears deserved at least some substantiation as to why! :)

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Not a great game on his end to be honest, i doubt his performance tonight will settle the debate but the panenka was nice though.
Just like Ronaldo he needs to score in this type of game, even if he does nothing remarkable the whole game. Him and Mbappe got them the 3 points so it's all that matters, there will be time as the season goes on to better gel with the team and is always better to have a slow start and finish the season strong rather than him having his best performances on group stages.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I know they’re teammates but it’s strange to hear Mbappe say this:

Mbappé: "Why did I leave the penalty to Messi? Normal. It's respect. He's the best player in the world. He comes to our team, it's a privilege that he comes to play with us. There is a penalty, he took it and scored. The 2nd, he wanted to give it to me, and I missed.”

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Very strange and defensive post. I wasn't trying to suggest I'm superior at all. Although I guess being defensive is a pre-requisite for being active in a thread where people blindly and unobjectively defend either Messi or Ronaldo.

Clearly my principal point was that it's interesting to see how cult like the fanboyism is, and for that precise reason it's pretty futile trying to change the other side's mind. Although at the same time the thread is very entertaining.

Also, as for your "actually really, really, really busy" misrepresentation, I only mentioned being busy as an aside. After all mentioning that I've lurked for 14 hears deserved at least some substantiation as to why! :)
Don't do this to yourself mate. The regular posters in this thread are like the walking dead. They will infect you before long. This thread is for watching only.

Gehrman

I know they’re teammates but it’s strange to hear Mbappe say this:

Mbappé: "Why did I leave the penalty to Messi? Normal. It's respect. He's the best player in the world. He comes to our team, it's a privilege that he comes to play with us. There is a penalty, he took it and scored. The 2nd, he wanted to give it to me, and I missed.”
Why is it weird?

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Why is it weird?
Because Mbappe has stated Cristiano is his idol, yet on two separate occasions(one of them before Messi left barca) has stated Messi is the best. Why wouldn't you want the best to be your idol?

Gehrman

Because Mbappe has stated Cristiano is his idol, yet on two separate occasions(one of them before Messi left barca) has stated Messi is the best. Why wouldn't you want the best to be your idol?
Maybe his view is more nuanced. Perhaps he thinks Ronaldo was a better player when he was younger but not atm.

DaGOAT

Messi has handed 30 penalties over to his teammates, 8 of which would have allowed him to complete a hattrick:

-Neymar (11)
-Suarez (9)
-Eto'o (3)
-Griezmann (3)
-Coutinho (2)
-Ibrahimovic (1)
-Mbappe (1)

Messi has 55 hattricks at this time, but he could have had 63 if not for the above. Probably would have missed 2-3 penalties out of the 8, but that would still amount to 5 more hattricks taking his total to 60!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Well, if that's the case you maybe shouldn't tell people to re-evaluate what they do with their lives. Live and let live.

Anderson-son-son's Son

Well, if that's the case you maybe shouldn't tell people to re-evaluate what they do with their lives. Live and let live.
What..? It's perfectly permissible to call out people who are posting 300+ times in this thread to persaude others who won't change their mind (as explained before it's futile given the cult-like nature) without more generically implying superiority. You do understand that right?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What..? It's perfectly permissible to call out people who are posting 300+ times in this thread to persaude others who won't change their mind (as explained before it's futile given the cult-like nature) without more generically implying superiority. You do understand that right?
No, I don't, because it is simply none of your business how people spend their time. You telling people how to live their life is judgmental which implies that you see yourself in a position to judge - superiority. Which, ironically, you are not since after self proclaimed 14 years of only reading the forum, the thing that finally made you register is the outlook to call out people you've never seen in your life for discussing topics they're interested in - isn't that even more pitiful? Would see those people differently if they wouldn't discuss such unimportant matters as Ronaldo vs. Messi to no avail but, say, globally decisive topics such as Solskjaer or a United transfer target? Apparently not, so what bothers you is that people waste their time discussing things you yourself find boring. As I said, live and let live.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
this is a forum where there are countless people with 15,000 posts. Having 200 posts over the last 7 years in a topic that is fun to discuss and be silly in, who cares. Chances are 90% in this thread are doing more with their lives outside of this forum than you have with yours

Gehrman

Messi has handed 30 penalties over to his teammates, 8 of which would have allowed him to complete a hattrick:

-Neymar (11)
-Suarez (9)
-Eto'o (3)
-Griezmann (3)
-Coutinho (2)
-Ibrahimovic (1)
-Mbappe (1)

Messi has 55 hattricks at this time, but he could have had 63 if not for the above. Probably would have missed 2-3 penalties out of the 8, but that would still amount to 5 more hattricks taking his total to 60!
Probably because he's shit at pens ;)

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
A person can be your idol whilst not being the best in their field.

Some people can look beyond bias.

MrEleson

Maybe his view is more nuanced. Perhaps he thinks Ronaldo was a better player when he was younger but not atm.
Yep this pretty much. There’s even evidence of Mbappe vehemently defending Ronaldo’s case in these Messi vs. CR7 debates in the past. It could just be that he thinks Messi is currently better but not all-time or it could even be he says Messi is the best simply because he’s his teammate. After all, that’s the same excuse Messi fans used to use for Ronaldo’s teammates saying he’s the best.

Nonameboy

Reading Messi fanboys posts one thing is clear to me and that is that Messi's biggest achievement is being better than Ronaldo.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yep this pretty much. There’s even evidence of Mbappe vehemently defending Ronaldo’s case in these Messi vs. CR7 debates in the past. It could just be that he thinks Messi is currently better but not all-time or it could even be he says Messi is the best simply because he’s his teammate. After all, that’s the same excuse Messi fans used to use for Ronaldo’s teammates saying he’s the best.
Random for him to say Messi is the best in the world when he’s been a huge Ronaldo fan his whole life. It wasn’t like he was asked point blank who the best player in the world is. Having said that, teammates will always prop up other teammates

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Biggest match winner in the history of the sport and its not close.

as Skip Bayless would say... He has the clutch gene in him. Its not something that that can be taught...you either have it or you don't and Ronaldo just has it.

Anderson-son-son's Son

No, I don't, because it is simply none of your business how people spend their time. You telling people how to live their life is judgmental which implies that you see yourself in a position to judge - superiority. Which, ironically, you are not since after self proclaimed 14 years of only reading the forum, the thing that finally made you register is the outlook to call out people you've never seen in your life for discussing topics they're interested in - isn't that even more pitiful? Would see those people differently if they wouldn't discuss such unimportant matters as Ronaldo vs. Messi to no avail but, say, globally decisive topics such as Solskjaer or a United transfer target? Apparently not, so what bothers you is that people waste their time discussing things you yourself find boring. As I said, live and let live.
This is just awful awful logic.

You've reached a false conclusion (that I've claimed superiority) which then forms the premise of
This is just awful, awful logic. You've reached a false conclusion (that I've claimed superiority) which then forms the basis of your claim of irony.

If you read my response properly I said that calling out people with multiple hundreds of posts in a Ronaldo Vs Messi (passing judgement about one specific thing), doesn't mean I'm generically implying I'm superior. Which is what your original reply suggested. Notice the usage of word generically in the post you were quoting.

Or do you think anytime somebody criticises somebody else (or even passes judgement) it means that person thinks they're not only superior when it comes to the thing they're judging the person on, but also superior more generally. Bizarre take.

Incorrectly labelling me simply calling something out as "you think you're superior!!" Is just ridiculous. Although you were at it with the same misrepresentation in your last reply to me when you misrepresented that I said "I'm just really, really busy".

Anyway, don't care to repeat myself and labour the same point ad nauseum. That's the job of the people who regularly participate in this thread. So this will be my last post in this thread - I'll take the good advice of the other poster who rightly said this thread for the majority of non-cultists should be just for reading.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Biggest match winner in the history of the sport and its not close.

as Skip Bayless would say... He has the clutch gene in him. Its not something that that can be taught...you either have it or you don't and Ronaldo just has it.
Present some evidence or this is just another hyperbolic lie.

InfiniteBoredom

CL match at home against opponents of similar caliber (you can even argue Leipzig > Atalanta given their performance past 2 seasons in Europe).

Messi scored 2 goals from a losing position to win the match, *crickets*

Ronaldo scored the game winning goal at 2-2, ‘biggest match winner in the history of the sport’

Almost as if fanboyism reduces your capacity to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.