Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
How about a poll whether he was just a scorer or both? That would probably be more accurate, seeing as you yourself listed him as a sole scorer. Probably because you never saw him play.
As pointed out before, I said scorers can be dribblers and vice versa, I stand by my view he's more a scorer than a dribbler.
Another poster has already dealt with this. Those goals are remembered but that doesn’t make him a scorer. Any more than Ryan Giggs’ memorable FA Cup semi final goal makes him a scorer.
He was excluded from the count as he was a bit of everything, but certainly wasn't more of a dribbler.
False, even if you go with your erroneous counting of 5 v 3. If you add Bale (which you actually did in your original assessment) that makes it 5-4. If you add Baggio, that makes it 5-5. Whichever way you look at it, there’s no ‘far more’ about it at all.
It was your view that made it 5-3, not mine. I had it 8-4. :lol:

Baggio was both too.
Seemed pretty sulky when he was booting a prone Curtis Jones in the midriff just a couple of weeks ago as Man United succumbed to a calamitous thrashing.
ONE example? Must try harder
Ok, first of all, forget about the 70s. If we’re talking about Pele and Santos, the key time was the 60s, that’s when he and the team dominated world football as one of the finest sides in history. By the time Pele got to 1970, he’d already played more matches than a 37 year old Penaldo has currently played.

Now the Copa Lib is not completely analogous to the modern CL (which is kind of a comparison you are trying to force without much knowledge of the competition), but let’s look at it year by year because you keep making incorrect statements.

1960: Bahia didn’t make the semis
1961: Palmeiras were runners up
1962: Santos Champions
1963: Santos Champions
1964: Santos semi-finals (without Pele)
1965: Santos semi-finals
1966: Brazil clubs didn’t take part
1967: Santos didn’t play, Cruzeiro SFs
1968: Palmeiras runners up (Santos did not take part in the 1967 Taca Brasil, from which the representatives were chosen)
1969: Brazil clubs didn’t take part.
Ignore the 70s because it doesn't suit your argument? :lol:

Even based on YOUR count, ignoring those 2 years Brazilians didn't take part:
Argentina 4
Uruguay & Brazil 2
The Copa was obviously a different beast from the CL, but let’s compare the last 10 years of premier league success in the major European competition. The PL is currently ranked number one and I’m often told that it craps on all other leagues from a great height or something similar.

Now obviously England typically has more entrants than the Copa nations, but I’ve put the furthest any English team got in each year:

2010: Manchester United QFs
2011: Man United runners up
2012: Chelsea champions
2013: United/Arsenal R16
2014: Chelsea SF
2015: Arsenal/Chelsea/City R16
2016: City SF
2017: Leicester City QF
2018: Liverpool runners up
2019: Liverpool champions, Spurs RU.

Not really a great record despite being arguably the strongest league of the current day. And they had 4 teams per year and entered teams every year.
England's top coefficient as of now is based on 17/18 onwards (inc 2 all England finals in 18/19 & 20/21), no one ever claimed England dominated the CL in the 10s.

It would be utterly idiotic with Spain having won 6 CLs in 10 years. :lol:
Now let’s look at some of the club sides of Brazil in the golden period of the 60s.

Obviously Santos with the greatest player ever plus a few other greats (legendary goalie Gilmar, Coutinho, Pepe, Zito, Carlos Alberto etc)

Botafogo in the early 60s had Didi, Garrincha, Nilton Santos, Zagallo, Amarildo, and promising youngsters such as Manga, Gerson and Jairzinho (whatever happened to those guys?)

Cruzeiro had Tostao. Corinthians had Rivelino.

Palmeiras had Djalma Santos (one of the greatest full backs of all time) and World Cup legend Vava.

Probably the greatest concentration of talent in one nation at one time ever. No wonder they won 3 out of 4 World Cups.
No one has disputed Brazil dominated world football in the 60s, but that doesn't equate to Brazilian club sides being better than everyone else.

They only won 2 out of 8 Copa Libs they played in, and generally SA sides didn't really have that great a record against European sides when they faced each other.

Pickle85

Yes but the Beatles is 3 great songwriters (could even include Harrison) v one in Dylan. Dylan IMO is better than any of the individual Beatles writers. Lyrically it’s not even close, though musically the Beatles had arguably more variety.
Yep, agreed, it makes it an Impossible comparison. Ditto keef Vs Hendrix. But there is nothing arguable about the Beatles having more musical variety than Dylan.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
As pointed out before, I said scorers can be dribblers and vice versa, I stand by my view he's more a scorer than a dribbler.
You had him down as a scorer in your original assessment. You should have put both. You know that now but you’re struggling to concede the point.

He was excluded from the count as he was a bit of everything, but certainly wasn't more of a dribbler.
Disagree. He scored very few goals, like one in eight. He was chiefly a playmaker, but that included dribbling.

It was your view that made it 5-3, not mine. I had it 8-4. :lol:
You had 4 dribblers (of course there are more than that), I told you the 5 players that were scorers. So I gently corrected some of your wilder notions.

Baggio was both too.
Yes, but remembered more for his dribbling skills.

ONE example? Must try harder
There are many examples as you well know. He’s one of the most petulant players going. And as a Madrid player he used to get routinely humiliated by Barca before Zidane walked in the door. I’m surprised you even conceded that it has happpened though, given your all consuming stanhood of him

Ignore the 70s because it doesn't suit your argument? :lol:
No, for the reasons that I outlined. What team is dominant for 15-20 years? Don’t be dumb, I’ve credited you with a reasonable amount of intelligence.

Even based on YOUR count, ignoring those 2 years Brazilians didn't take part:
Argentina 4
Uruguay & Brazil 2
Actually no, because Brazil didn’t take part in 2 and Santos didn’t take part in 4. So it’s silly to just add up which countries won more when Brazil were not properly represented half the time.

England's top coefficient as of now is based on 17/18 onwards (inc 2 all England finals in 18/19 & 20/21), no one ever claimed England dominated the CL in the 10s.

It would be utterly idiotic with Spain having won 6 CLs in 10 years.:lol:
The point is not that England dominated the CL. Try and keep up. I’m well aware that Spain (thanks mainly to 2 teams) have done better. The point is that England has by common consensus the strongest, most competitive league. The best league in the world no less. This notion didn’t begin in 2017, I’m here to tell you. I was showing you the results of the Champions League for the ‘deepest and most competitive league’ so that you understand that counting continental cup wins won’t necessarily show you which the strongest league is. Do you believe that La Liga has been a stronger and more competitive league than the Premier League over the last 10 years? Has Messi in fact been playing in the strongest, deepest and toughest league for the bulk of his career? Cos that’s not what I heard.

No one has disputed Brazil dominated world football in the 60s, but that doesn't equate to Brazilian club sides being better than everyone else.
Why doesn’t it? I mean in terms of the strength of the nation’s football as a whole? Please give me examples
of times in history where the contrary is true?

In 1963, Santos faced Botafogo in the semis of the Copa Lib. The latter had Garrincha,Didi, Zagallo, Nilton Santos, Jairzinho, Amarildo, Gerson and Quarentinha. On paper an even better side than the mighty Santos. But Pele made all the difference, as per.

They only won 2 out of 8 Copa Libs they played in, and generally SA sides didn't really have that great a record against European sides when they faced each other.
By your own metrics, SA teams won six out of the 10 intercontinental cups in that decade and Santos were the only team to win 2 apart from Inter. And Santos destroyed Inter when they faced them. I’m sure Santos were capable of winning more had they participated throughout the decade.

Santos in fact had a terrific record against European teams and Pele scored 205 goals in 196 games against European opposition, including all the top clubs: the Madrids, Barcelona, the Milans, Juventus, Valencia, Sevilla, Roma, Napoli, Lazio, Benfica, Lyon etc. Just against those I’ve named he scored 47 goals in 39 games.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You had him down as a scorer in your original assessment. You should have put both. You know that now but you’re struggling to concede the point.
I stand by my assessment that he's more a scorer than dribbler, you have your own opinion, don't tell me what I should or should not think, this is not North Korea.
Disagree. He scored very few goals, like one in eight. He was chiefly a playmaker, but that included dribbling.
He was mainly a playmaker, but dribbling is not his most notable trait.
You had 4 dribblers (of course there are more than that), I told you the 5 players that were scorers. So I gently corrected some of your wilder notions.
You seem to obsess with everyone's dribbling ability, anyone who was any good at dribbling was a dribbler despite their scoring abilities. :rolleyes:
Yes, but remembered more for his dribbling skills.
See above
There are many examples as you well know. He’s one of the most petulant players going. And as a Madrid player he used to get routinely humiliated by Barca before Zidane walked in the door. I’m surprised you even conceded that it has happpened though, given your all consuming stanhood of him
Now you're changed the argument to petulance, Messi is notorious for dropping his head and quitting when the going gets tough.
No, for the reasons that I outlined. What team is dominant for 15-20 years? Don’t be dumb, I’ve credited you with a reasonable amount of intelligence.
United were pretty dominant in England since the 93 till 13.
Actually no, because Brazil didn’t take part in 2 and Santos didn’t take part in 4. So it’s silly to just add up which countries won more when Brazil were not properly represented half the time.
You claimed that Brazilian clubs were very good, it wasn't Santos in particular you were talking about. Face remains Brazilian clubs won 2 out of 8 they took part in.
The point is not that England dominated the CL. Try and keep up. I’m well aware that Spain (thanks mainly to 2 teams) have done better. The point is that England has by common consensus the strongest, most competitive league. The best league in the world no less. This notion didn’t begin in 2017, I’m here to tell you. I was showing you the results of the Champions League for the ‘deepest and most competitive league’ so that you understand that counting continental cup wins won’t necessarily show you which the strongest league is. Do you believe that La Liga has been a stronger and more competitive league than the Premier League over the last 10 years? Has Messi in fact been playing in the strongest, deepest and toughest league for the bulk of his career? Cos that’s not what I heard.
Competitiveness does not mean strongest, surely you understand that. English sides were quite far behind Real, Barca & Bayern for most of the 10s until the last 5-6 seasons.

Spain did have the best clubs sides in the world in the 10s, 6 out of 10 CLs proves that.
Why doesn’t it? I mean in terms of the strength of the nation’s football as a whole? Please give me examples
of times in history where the contrary is true?
Because having a top top national team with 20 great players or so does not mean all the club sides are great. France has a top national side (not comparable to 60s Brazil), but the French league is still crap.
In 1963, Santos faced Botafogo in the semis of the Copa Lib. The latter had Garrincha,Didi, Zagallo, Nilton Santos, Jairzinho, Amarildo, Gerson and Quarentinha. On paper an even better side than the mighty Santos. But Pele made all the difference, as per.
The point being?
By your own metrics, SA teams won six out of the 10 intercontinental cups in that decade and Santos were the only team to win 2 apart from Inter. And Santos destroyed Inter when they faced them. I’m sure Santos were capable of winning more had they participated throughout the decade.

Santos in fact had a terrific record against European teams and Pele scored 205 goals in 196 games against European opposition, including all the top clubs: the Madrids, Barcelona, the Milans, Juventus, Valencia, Sevilla, Roma, Napoli, Lazio, Benfica, Lyon etc. Just against those I’ve named he scored 47 goals in 39 games.
As long as you're sure. Basically friendly matches where goals are much easier to come by.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
United have gone backwards with Ronaldo. He's still scoring but the team suffers

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Absolute horseshit. I’m sure you think the same of PSG?
Windups need culled on here
don’t be so tilted like you were in the ballon d’or thread.

united have gotten worse in nearly every metric this season and Bruno has fallen off a cliff. Ronaldo just doesn’t fit, not his fault

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You should be banned. Such a WUM, we’ve got no time for you. Lock this thread so these nutters leave the caf.
Says the guy who cries over ballon d’or nominees. It’s a legit criticism my god

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I stand by my assessment that he's more a scorer than dribbler, you have your own opinion, don't tell me what I should or should not think, this is not North Korea.
That wasn’t your assessment. You said he was a scorer. That is wrong. Saying you’re wrong is not telling you what you should think. You’re free to hold as many illogical and non-fact based opinions as you like.

He was mainly a playmaker, but dribbling is not his most notable trait
More so than scoring I’d say.

You seem to obsess with everyone's dribbling ability, anyone who was any good at dribbling was a dribbler despite their scoring abilities. :rolleyes:
Not at all, I like great dribblers, passers and scorers. You are trying to say that scoring is way more important than the other two because you don’t like the fact that Ronaldo’s rival is clearly better at 2 of these 3 fundamentals (and probably better at scoring too, let’s be honest). So you downgrade two skills that have been deemed crucial throughout football history. That’s why Beckenbauer and Cruyff were considered much better players than Gerd Muller. People who understand football understand this.

Now you're changed the argument to petulance, Messi is notorious for dropping his head and quitting when the going gets tough.
Look up the word ‘petulance’ then look up the word ‘sulking’. Moreover, what you said is quite obviously BS because he has the most individual awards in history and is close to having the most team trophies in history. You don’t obtain all that without being extremely mentally tough.

United were pretty dominant in England since the 93 till 13.
With several different teams. Dear oh dear….

You claimed that Brazilian clubs were very good, it wasn't Santos in particular you were talking about. Face remains Brazilian clubs won 2 out of 8 they took part in.
So English clubs weren’t good in the last 10 years? The Premier League was not good in the last 10 years?

Competitiveness does not mean strongest, surely you understand that. English sides were quite far behind Real, Barca & Bayern for most of the 10s until the last 5-6 seasons.
I’m talking about the strength of Brazilian football across the board at the time. What are you talking about?

Spain did have the best clubs sides in the world in the 10s, 6 out of 10 CLs proves that.
Did they have the best league? That’s what I asked you.

Because having a top top national team with 20 great players or so does not mean all the club sides are great. France has a top national side (not comparable to 60s Brazil), but the French league is still crap.
Oh, did that team win 3 out of 4 World Cups? How many of those players play in France? How many of the Zidane era French team (who won more than the current team) played in France? The only comparable situation, ironically, is recent Spain. Now again, has the Spanish league been better than the Premier League in the last 10 years? Has Messi been dominating the best league in the world?

The point being?
Giving you an idea of the quality at the time

As long as you're sure. Basically friendly matches where goals are much easier to come by.
I’m sure. There were intercontinental cup games included in that total but nevertheless, a lot of those friendlies were very competitive and played in front of packed stadiums. Santos had the rep as the world’s best team and other teams wanted to beat them. Not to mention they were played at a rate of 3,4,5 games a week, a punishing schedule.

Pickle85

don’t be so tilted like you were in the ballon d’or thread.

united have gotten worse in nearly every metric this season and Bruno has fallen off a cliff. Ronaldo just doesn’t fit, not his fault
Can you genuinely say with intellectual honesty that you believe United's awful form is mostly down to Ronaldo? If so, all I can assume is that you don't watch the games.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Can you genuinely say with intellectual honesty that you believe United's awful form is mostly down to Ronaldo? If so, all I can assume is that you don't watch the games.
Not at all, Ole is a poor manager but the Ronaldo signing was a luxury one when the money could have been better spent on the midfield

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Ole just sucks.
Ronaldo is not luxury, he is necessity.
He was not, last year, United had the 2nd highest amount of goals scored in the league behind City, what was striking is the team's inability to control certain games and it's even more obvious this season. The team needed a good midfielder far more than it needed Ronaldo, especially since Sancho was recruited.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He was not, last year, United had the 2nd highest amount of goals scored in the league behind City, what was striking is the team's inability to control certain games and it's even more obvious this season. The team needed a good midfielder far more than it needed Ronaldo, especially since Sancho was recruited.
exactly

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Ole just sucks.
Ronaldo is not luxury, he is necessity.
Ronaldo wasn't a necessity for United.

You were scoring goals last season, the problem was the defense and midfield not controlling games properly after scoring first.

Ronaldo was mostly a panic buy cause there was a rumour that City would sign him, sure he is scoring goals here and there...thing is United was scoring goals last season, their problem was not scoring.

Football is not like PES or FIFA, just because Cristiano is a better player than whoever was in his position last season, it doesn't mean that the team will be better.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

You were scoring goals last season, the problem was the defense and midfield not controlling games properly after scoring first.

Ronaldo was mostly a panic buy cause there was a rumour that City would sign him, sure he is scoring goals here and there...thing is United was scoring goals last season, their problem was not scoring.

Football is not like PES or FIFA, just because Cristiano is a better player than whoever was in his position last season, it doesn't mean that the team will be better.
Right now he is.

I am sorry but saying Ronaldo is a luxury is the silliest thing I have read.
Luxury is someone who we do not need, but still have.
You do not have luxury players saving your ass most of the times.
Sancho and Ronaldo are not like to like in anyways. So I do not get this having Sancho, means we do didnt need Ronaldo theory.

Ronaldo is not that player. Do we need better midfielders and full backs, yes.

fck

Supports
Bayern
Ronaldo needs to start scoring against the big boys.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Where would we be without Ronaldo this season ? The stupidity of some posts is worrying tbh

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Where would we be without Ronaldo this season ? The stupidity of some posts is worrying tbh
Sure, but you are performing as bad as the last season, which shows that Ronaldo isn't what you needed, you needed fullbacks and midfield.
Ronaldo is scoring, but the results aren't much different from last season, cause you didn't need him, others areas were lacking.

Ronaldo is gonna score against mid table and bottom teams wether United is bad or not under Ole, it was the same thing for Juventus last season.

It's not Ronaldo's fault that United is bad, but it was an unnecessary sign, that money could have gone to other areas of the pitch. For not improving other areas is why United still looks very underwhelming.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Sure, but you are performing as bad as the last season, which shows that Ronaldo isn't what you needed, you needed fullbacks and midfield.
Ronaldo is scoring, but the results aren't much different from last season, cause you didn't need him, others areas were lacking.

Ronaldo is gonna score against mid table and bottom teams wether United is bad or not under Ole, it was the same thing for Juventus last season.

It's not Ronaldo's fault that United is bad, but it was an unnecessary sign, that money could have gone to other areas of the pitch. For not improving other areas is why United still looks very underwhelming.
It just shows we'd be a lot worse without him. Ronaldo ain't a magician, he cannot make shite players do well all of a sudden. He can focus on his job which he has done miraculously well considering his teammates.
Only pure hatred and stupidity make people question Ronaldo.
The money he cost isn't why other areas weren't improved at all. 2 completely different subjects

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It just shows we'd be a lot worse without him. Ronaldo ain't a magician, he cannot make shite players do well all of a sudden. He can focus on his job which he has done miraculously well considering his teammates.
Only pure hatred and stupidity make people question Ronaldo.
The money he cost isn't why other areas weren't improved at all. 2 completely different subjects
It will be interesting to see how(hopefully) the next manager will play him.

Gehrman

This was actually a beautiful interview, he was his usual arrogant self but he showed a lot admiration towards Messi.
True. I just loved hearing him talking about wanting golden balls. The most golden balls. On a serious note though. If Messi and Ronaldo hadn't competed in the same era and kept up their level, they would probably have 10 golden balls each.

badname

Not at all, I like great dribblers, passers and scorers. You are trying to say that scoring is way more important than the other two because you don’t like the fact that Ronaldo’s rival is clearly better at 2 of these 3 fundamentals (and probably better at scoring too, let’s be honest). So you downgrade two skills that have been deemed crucial throughout football history. That’s why Beckenbauer and Cruyff were considered much better players than Gerd Muller. People who understand football understand this.
Muller was "much" worse, meanwhile the guy won the Ballon d'or against those guys, and he was pretty much top 3 for years as a contender, . And being crucial to contless major trophies club and national wise, insanity.
Even though of course, football was a travesty full of semi-professionals during that time, but still he was one of the greatests

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It will be interesting to see how(hopefully) the next manager will play him.
That'll be indeed interesting to see. I believe Solskjaer is generally on the right track playing him in a two striker system but it sure is a challenge combining that with the talents on the wings. Most likely a few players that see themselves as starters will fall short. Unfortunately the squad isn't really balanced. Wan-Bissaka isn't a wing back either so three at the back formations aren't perfect. And it would most likely make Ronaldo, Cavani, Bruno, Pogba, Rashford and Sancho all fight for three attacking positions, effectively five players for two positions since Ronaldo will always start.

4-4-2 could also be a solution. Or somebody can convince Ronaldo to press more again so that he can play as a lone striker. That could also mean that Cavani is rotated in more often for Ronaldo to rest.

Gehrman

This thread is boring when Messi isn't playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.