Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

Yup, forgotten amid the hysteria over the second leg. Any lead that forces Chelsea to come out wouldn't have played to their strengths.
Pep has a poor record away from home in Europe so I'd even say it wouldn't have been that different. Barca keep the ball in midfield and play through Messi but at a slower pace. Nothing would have changed imo

Cal?

CR7 fan
Inappropriate Behavior
I'm a United supporter, not a Messi fan. Just couldn't believe you weren't condemning death threats to a person and their family. Then to say that other people get death threats too, so it's not a big deal really says a lot. Very strange behaviour.
We live in a world where people get death threats for all sorts of things, celebrities get death threats for roles people don't approve of, LGBT people get death threats for being born that way, politicians get death threats for their political view, we even have someone on this board advocating genocide of people for daring to become billionaires.

How is it such a big deal if his life was never actually threatened?

mariner85

I think a lot of Messi fans are confused by the best footballer title.
I'm a United fan first, CR7 fan second.
I think Messi is the most talented/gifted player of my lifetime.
But performance wise( Although he is amazing majority of times) he has been a bit unconvincing despite everything flowing through him at both Barca/Argentina when he needed to step up the most, especially considering his own performances in the past.
I don't think CR7 has anywhere near the talent of Messi, but has done enough for his teams in whatever ways he could to take them over the line.
Just look at his positions in ballon'dor, I don't think the people who voted for him are saying that he is the most the talented, but performed the best in their eyes where it mattered when compared to other footballers including Messi.

MalcolmTucker

I think a lot of Messi fans are confused by the best footballer title.
I'm a United fan first, CR7 fan second.
I think Messi is the most talented/gifted player of my lifetime.
But performance wise( Although he is amazing majority of times) he has been a bit unconvincing despite everything flowing through him at both Barca/Argentina when he needed to step up the most, especially considering his own performances in the past.
I don't think CR7 has anywhere near the talent of Messi, but has done enough for his teams in whatever ways he could to take them over the line.
Just look at his positions in ballon'dor, I don't think the people who voted for him are saying that he is the most the talented, but performed the best in their eyes where it mattered when compared to other footballers including Messi.
I think a lot of Ronaldo fans are confused by the best footballer title.
Talking about Ballon d'or positions (which is bullshit but anyway), if Ronaldo goes out to Atletico in the R16 of the CL he will probably be out the top 3, despite Ronaldo fans saying this is the best he's played in the previous 3 years where he won it. I've not watched a lot of him this year but I watched him vs. Atletico and he played decent, but Juve conceded 2 goals through little fault of his own. Does this make all the great performances hitherto completely redundant?

Ronaldo is a serial winner but he needs his team mates and a lot of luck just as Messi did when when Barcelona dominated - if you judge them on a individual basis, game by game, then Messi demonstrates that he is the best player on the pitch pretty much every time.

zkap

Supports
Barça
I think it's commendable how Ronaldo changed his role and became more involved in Juventus' play at 33 than he was the previous few years in Madrid. It's very impressive how he can keep going like this.

But it's funny that this is happening now, when he was signed basically to bolster Juventus' image and help the team win the Champions League. It's almost as if being more involved in play makes it more difficult to have an impact. And not having the level of support needed doesn't make things any easier. Who would have thought...

I'm not blaming Ronaldo for Juventus' result at the Wanda, but it gives me a good laugh to read the comments of the Ronaldo fans, the inconsistency and bias is stewed to perfection.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Wait, how come we never see them play together?

Growing up I watched many legends from different teams play together in some sort of a charity match.

There were classics like:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
At this point of time it's perfect 50 50

357 votes each
The poll closed back in June.

We live in a world where people get death threats for all sorts of things, celebrities get death threats for roles people don't approve of, LGBT people get death threats for being born that way, politicians get death threats for their political view, we even have someone on this board advocating genocide of people for daring to become billionaires.

His life was threatened, that's what a death threat is mate.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I brought Øvrebø into the conversation as a joke (my apologies). Obviously his life should never have been threatened - it's a football game. There's nothing he could have done to warrant something like that. From what I've seen of him in an interview as well he seems like a really nice and interesting bloke.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
What also separates the two for me is their role within a team. Stupid analogy ahead.

Ronaldo is an incredibly deadly weapon, but he's little more than that. Real have won finals where Ronaldo has been quite anonymous, just because the fear of giving him space to swing his sword. We didn't even seem to have to do much to stop him last year, and he was a passenger in the final versus Atletico.

Messi, on the other hand... He's not just the deadliest weapon of Barcelona, but he's also the heart & the brain of the side, especially since Xavi left. Everything goes through him. Messi can't afford to have bad/anonymous games like Ronaldo can, because he is at the very core of the team. Even if he doesn't score or assist for whatever reason, the ball still has to go through him, & his range of passing, vision, and consistency for this is on another planet altogether. You can say it's all down to having great players around him, or that being at Barcelona allows him to specialize himself so well - There might be some truth to that, but at the same time, the team he's playing with now is hardly incredible, and he's performed at a top-top level under several different managers.

That's not to say there haven't been times where Ronaldo hasn't done freakishly well while Messi was perhaps falling below is incredibly high standards somewhat, but overall? I still maintain that the difference between Messi & Ronaldo is bigger than the difference between Ronaldo & whoever you consider third on the list.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I brought Øvrebø into the conversation as a joke (my apologies). Obviously his life should never have been threatened - it's a football game. There's nothing he could have done to warrant something like that. From what I've seen of him in an interview as well he seems like a really nice and interesting bloke.
Wasn't there another ref from Sweden i think? That retired cause of Chelsea fans threatening him?

zkap

Supports
Barça
Anders Frisk, after Mourinho criticized him in 2005 or 2006.

Edit: googled it, it was in 2005, he sent Drogba off against Barça and Mourinho said he had seen Frisk invite Rijkaard into his room at half time (this turned out to be a lie). Cue death threats, ended his career the following month.

Tommy, great post, that's basically the jist of it. Messi is at the core of Barça's team and cannot afford a bad game in the Champions League. This is not a knock on Ronaldo, though. Any player can have bad games, particularly if you're Messi or Ronaldo and the other team design their game plan to stop you. I just wish we had a coach who could provide Messi with the luxury of being a passenger here and there. Ronaldo always had that luxury in Madrid, hence the distorted view that he carried his side to the trophy while Messi couldn't.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm not going to further comment on this topic.
How convenient for you. Not even able to say something like "okay guys, I got carried away there and said something stupid, I'm sorry!". Just don't admit you've been wrong. Better convince yourself that getting death threats serves him right for a bad referee performance in a f*cking football match.

Cal?

CR7 fan
How convenient for you. Not even able to say something like "okay guys, I got carried away there and said something stupid, I'm sorry!". Just don't admit you've been wrong. Better convince yourself that getting death threats serves him right for a bad referee performance in a f*cking football match.
Let’s take this up in private

Cal?

CR7 fan
Unconvincing when his team needed him most? Youre a UTD fan, so maybe you have a short memory in this debate. Let’s start with Argentina, yes they have not won the World Cup, big deal. Messi was top scorer in one of the competitions though, and player of the tournament of course. The last game before the World Cup, Argentina were going out, until Messi stepped up, scored a hattrick and put them in the finals. Oh, and has a 1 in 2 goals to game ration for them as well.

So, twice UTD have played in European Cup finals against Barcelona. The biggest club competition in the world you might way, and twice Messi scored the winning goal, and in the second he also chuckled past Nani to create the 3rd. He has scored so many huge goals, stepping up to the plate, that it would take me too long to cover them all.

Both players have stepped, and not one over the other has scored a bigger goal than the other. For every Ronaldo goal in a huge game, Messi matches it, and vice versa.

To say Messi is unconvincing when needed to step up the most is absolute rubbish.
Why is it with Messi fans and fake news?

Pray tell when Messi was top scorer at a WC.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

:lol: Best post ever.

CA_vampire

Football is about winning. For "skillz" we go to Cirque du Soleil.

Unfortunately, Messi has won nothing at national level. Maradona remains the greatest Argentinian footballer ever.

On the other hand, Ronaldo is the GOAT.

RooneyLegend

Been on the fence for a long time, maybe even leaning to Messi, but it's Ronaldo isn't it? Best player of this era.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Do I even have to say anything? He is the GREATEST player of his generation bar NONE.

If anyone here honestly thinks If Messi was down 2-0 he would score a hat trick and send his team through you are LYING

WhoAreYou?

Supports
Barcelona
Here come all the weird people who think a total legacy is based off 1 game and say 'this settles it'. No it doesn't. Ronaldo had a good game. End of story for today.

mu4c_20le

Single handedly dragged juve through. Seriously, would love to see Messi outside of his natural habitat for once.

SportingCP96

Supports
As I said many many times on here Messi is the most naturally gifted and talented player NO DOUBT but their is more when determining how great a player is and he does not have the drive and winning mentality Ronaldo has those intangibles make him the GOAT and this is nit because of now it has been for awhile now.

SportingCP96

Supports
Here come all the weird people who think a total legacy is based off 1 game and say 'this settles it'. No it doesn't. Ronaldo had a good game. End of story for today.
The thing is it is not just "one game" he does this all the time and it is simply something Messi is not capable of if his back was against the wall.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Great performance, but Messi's still better at football, sorry ;)

marktan

Messi is so far ahead you only have to watch the games to realise that.

Ronaldo is so far ahead you only have to see the last 5 years to realise that.

Pick which based on who's playing today.

predator

Youth NITK
Messi always will be the better all round and talented footballer for me but I've always said if you had to pick one man for a big game to play alongside your team (of any level) then you'd be daft not to pick Ronaldo. His influence is unreal.

WhoAreYou?

Supports
Barcelona
I prefer Messi but Ronaldo is without a doubt much better and more decisive in the CL.
Agreed. Messi is obviously the better player, but Ronaldo can be more decisive in some matches. If that is what you prefer that's totally fine. I prefer a Totti, Xavi, Iniesta, Charlton, Messi type of player. For me, they bring more to the game. Ronaldo is a better goalscorer. I couldn't care less about these 3 goals or even if he scored 5. The buildup to the goals is what gets me going. Ronaldo does not deliver in that department. And you need both - the buildup and the finishing.

They would compliment each other perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.