Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aloysius's Back 3

And this is why you are biased and debating with you is futile on this subject.

If you had to pick one player to play for you in a pressure situation Messi would be low on the list.
And the lad did crap all in the next leg. Blames all the Barcelona players but Messi comes out as the godly player for what he did in one leg.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Everything? Messi has exemplarily destroyed Atletico and Real multiple times in recent seasons. And I mean "destroyed" as in "he tore them apart with his dribbles, passes and goals" not as in "he scored two goals and was invisible apart from that". He also destroyed Liverpool and Chelsea in the CL and probably some more top sides in matches I don't remember since I don't keep record. Oh, and he "Cristiano-destroyed" United when he scored twice against you lot but wasn't that special overall.

By the way, the match Messi had against Liverpool this year was more impressive than anything I saw from Cristiano in his last three CL wins. And I haven't seen Cristiano having a game as good as Messi's second leg against them without scoring in years.
:lol: This again? It must be so rare for you lot to see Messi score in a CL QF or after that you lose all sense of reality.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

If you had to pick one player to play for you in a pressure situation Messi would be low on the list.
Spare me with this mentality, clutch and pressure bullshit. If you want to talk about that, visit a life coach, some personal development courses or follow some inspirational career and motivation influencers on Instagram. Once you're done with that and want to talk about football again, hit me up ;)

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Spare me with this mentality, clutch and pressure bullshit. If you want to talk about that, visit a life coach, some personal development courses or follow some inspirational career and motivation influencers on Instagram. Once you're done with that and want to talk about football again, hit me up ;)
I've never used the word clutch and I think it's cringy, so not sure why you're making silly digs like that.

I mentioned mentality because it makes a tangible difference on the football pitch, Maradona, Pele and Zidane are just a few examples for you to study regarding this aspect of the game. Even Roy Keane and Lothar Matthaus are other good examples.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
:lol: This again? It must be so rare for you lot to see Messi score in a CL QF or after that you lose all sense of reality.
Nah, we're just watching the full 90 minutes, not just the last contact before the ball passes the line. I haven't seen a Cristiano performamce that, goals aside, truly impressed me in years. He's not even top 10 in the world in that regard for a fair amount of time. Speak volumes about his prowess in front of goal though that he was the second best player during that time nonetheless.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I've never used the word clutch and I think it's cringy, so not sure why you're making silly digs like that.

No because it makes a tangible difference on the football pitch, Maradona, Pele and Zidane are just a few examples for you to studh regarding this aspect of the game. Even Roy Keane and Lothar Matthaus are other good examples.
Because it's the very same school of thought. Call it clutch or whatever you want, it's all the same superficial and cringeworthy nonsense to me. Typical pub talk. The same sort of argument that was made against Klopp before he won the CL and is suddenly nowhere to be heard.

Deeming Zidane and Maradona mentally stronger is even more cringeworthy and revisionism at it's best. Messi decided many more games at the highest level than both of them combined.

MJJ

You are arguing with a guy who said casemiro was part of the worlds best midfield for the two years he wasnt at Madrid. That's how far he will go to hype up messi.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Because it's the very same school of thought. Call it clutch or whatever you want, it's all the same superficial and cringeworthy nonsense to me. Typical pub talk. The same sort of argument that was made against Klopp before he won the CL and is suddenly nowhere to be heard.

Deeming Zidane and Maradona mentally stronger is even more cringeworthy and revisionism at it's best. Messi decided many more games at the highest level than both of them combined.
It's only superficial to you because Messi lacks it.

And yes Messi decided a lot of games, but missing in lot of the biggest games for club and country in recent years.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You are arguing with a guy who said casemiro was part of the worlds best midfield for the two years he wasnt at Madrid. That's how far he will go to hype up messi.
Has there ever been anything with substance coming from you in this discussion? Judging by your posts I'm not even sure you're able to explain the offside rule.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
And the lad did crap all in the next leg. Blames all the Barcelona players but Messi comes out as the godly player for what he did in one leg.
They also miss the bits where he was strolling around the pitch and standing around hands on hips while his team needs a goal, he literally gave up.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's only superficial to you because Messi lacks it.

And yes Messi decided a lot of games, but missing in lot of the biggest games for club and country in recent years.
I don't care about Messi on a personal level. Once he regresses I'll stop watching him. Football isn't really about identificatiom for me, it's about the sport, and I argue for Messi because he's simply levels above everyone I've seen so far. Go to the Hazard, Kroos, Neymar, Özil, Havertz or whatever thread and you'll see the same kind of arguments from me. I just can't stand people downplaying good players because they can't see past trophies and goals, especially not if they attribute their 'failures' to some soft and fully intangible stuff like motivation or mindset. It reminds me of all the shallow pundits that talk about these things because they lack the knowledge to say anything of real substance.

You know what? Every player "failed" at big ges (if playing like Messi in the second leg against Liverpool or in the final against Germany and Chile equals failimg in your opinion) and considering Messi's trophy cabinet, few plaxers failed as rarely as Messi. You do realize now hoe stupid these arguments are?

VanKenny

This really isnt up to debate :lol:.

The ones that know the right answer and prefer Messi only "debate" because its honestly fun, like arguing with your 7 year old kid who is a fan of Batman about who's stronger, Batman or Superman.

The kid will always say Batman, and will make up whatever kind of crazy scenario where Batman could defeat Superman. Maybe he invents a new kryptonite weapon, maybe he builds a robot to take him on, maybe he shouts at him from the bench, who cares there is always a way.

At the end of the day, and deep inside, we all know the answer, even Batman fans. Even people from Gotham that may have the username "Gothamteo" in forums know it even if they dont admit it.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I don't care about Messi on a personal level. Once he regresses I'll stop watching him. Football isn't really about identificatiom for me, it's about the sport, and I argue for Messi because he's simply levels above everyone I've seen so far. Go to the Hazard, Kroos, Neymar, Özil, Havertz or whatever thread and you'll see the same kind of arguments from me. I just can't stand people downplaying good players because they can't see past trophies and goals, especially not if they attribute their 'failures' to some soft and fully intangible stuff like motivation or mindset. It reminds me of all the shallow pundits that talk about these things because they lack the knowledge to say anything of real substance.

You know what? Every player "failed" at big ges (if playing like Messi in the second leg against Liverpool or in the final against Germany and Chile equals failimg in your opinion) and considering Messi's trophy cabinet, few plaxers failed as rarely as Messi. You do realize now hoe stupid these arguments are?
It's not downplaying the player I already said he's one of the GOATs and a brilliant player. But when you want to put him up as the no. 1 of all time every aspect of his game will be dissected, even if it reveals uncomfortable truths.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's not downplaying the player I already said he's one of the GOATs and a brilliant player. But when you want to put him up as the no. 1 of all time every aspect of his game will be dissected, even if it reveals uncomfortable truths.
Dissected?

'Barca went out, Messi must have bottled it"

"Real won, Cristiano is so decisive"

Hands down to this truly breathtaking in depth analysis.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
This perfectly applies to so many posters in this thread yet it didn't even get a response :lol:

Surely you people must have better things going on in your lives? How can one be so invested in a football player who doesn't even know you exist?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Nah, we're just watching the full 90 minutes, not just the last contact before the ball passes the line. I haven't seen a Cristiano performamce that, goals aside, truly impressed me in years. He's not even top 10 in the world in that regard for a fair amount of time. Speak volumes about his prowess in front of goal though that he was the second best player during that time nonetheless.
:lol: There we go again with the Messi brigade, when all else fails, come up with ludicrous statements.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Dissected?

Barca/Argentina lost.

It's never Messi's fault.

Barca/Argentina win.

It's all Messi, no one else did anything, he created everything and saved all the shots.

Miss anything?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Dissected?

I didn't mention Real or Ronaldo, seems like someone is insecure.

Maybe this is why you completely missed the point, sticking your fingers in your ears won't make it go away.

Pocho

This really isnt up to debate :lol:.

The ones that know the right answer and prefer Messi only "debate" because its honestly fun, like arguing with your 7 year old kid who is a fan of Batman about who's stronger, Batman or Superman.

The kid will always say Batman, and will make up whatever kind of crazy scenario where Batman could defeat Superman. Maybe he invents a new kryptonite weapon, maybe he builds a robot to take him on, maybe he shouts at him from the bench, who cares there is always a way.

At the end of the day, and deep inside, we all know the answer, even Batman fans. Even people from Gotham that may have the username "Gothamteo" in forums know it even if they dont admit it.
We are very educated people.

SirAF

Ageist

We’ve been wasting our time, close the thread and delete the forum.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
:lol: There we go again with the Messi brigade, when all else fails, come up with ludicrous statements.
Messi, Hazard, Neymar, de Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Salah, Sterling, Eriksen, Modric are all clearly superior creators and there are many more than a fair shout. So yeah, hardly a bold statement to suggest that Ronaldo is not top 10 in the area 'attacking contribution not considering goals' .

I didn't mention Real or Ronaldo, seems like someone is insecure.

Maybe this is why you completely missed the point, sticking your fingers in your ears won't make it go away.
Then insert whoever you consider not a bottler like Messi. I was pointing out that the term 'dissect' is quite ironic since your analysis is almost as superficial as it gets. If you really take a very close and in depth look at Messi's career it is impossible to be of the same opinion as you are.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Messi, Hazard, Neymar, de Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Salah, Sterling, Eriksen, Modric are all clearly superior creators and there are many more than a fair shout. So yeah, hardly a bold statement to suggest that Ronaldo is not top 10 in the area 'attacking contribution not considering goals' .

Then insert whoever you consider not a bottler like Messi. I was pointing out that the term 'dissect' is quite ironic since your analysis is almost as superficial as it gets. If you really take a very close and in depth look at Messi's career it is impossible to be of the same opinion as you are.
Not really, you just chose to ignore the glaring evidence, pattern of poor performances in the biggest/toughest games for almost 5 years now.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not really, you just chose to ignore the glaring evidence, pattern of poor performances in the biggest/toughest games for almost 5 years now.
You know which pattern I see? Apparently it's only a big match if Barca loses it. The countless big games he decided in the last five years are obviously not included. I mean, if his team hadn't fecked it up completely defensively (!) this CL season it would be a different story acvordi g to your logic. You effectively judge the individual player based on other players' performances. Just let that sink in, because no matter how you reason it, it ultimately comes down to this. Hs could've played the exact same game but if other players had performed better, your opinion of Messi as an individual would be higher. Your criterion of joice is something he has no influence on. Nice.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yet except Messi (out of the CL), basically none of them has even close to the assists figures that Ronaldo has.

It is a ridiculous statement and you know it.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You know which pattern I see? Apparently it's only a big match if Barca loses it. The countless big games he decided in the last five years are obviously not included. I mean, if his team hadn't fecked it up completely defensively (!) this CL season it would be a different story acvordi g to your logic. You effectively judge the individual player based on other players' performances. Just let that sink in, because no matter how you reason it, it ultimately comes down to this. Hs could've played the exact same game but if other players had performed better, your opinion of Messi as an individual would be higher. Your criterion of joice is something he has no influence on. Nice.
Oh the irony... Ronaldo scored all the goals against Ajax yet you were more than happy getting all giddy about how he failed this season. Somehow the same logic of "if his team mates didn't bottle it" doesn't apply?

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
The way Ronaldo's fanboys constantly change the criteria for judging players to suit their narrative is hilarious. They'll say that "Ronaldo has had a better international career than Messi because he won two trophies while Messi lost four finals"....but then they'll also say Messi has had better teammates internationally even though his teammates also lost four finals and Ronaldo's teammates also won two trophies.

It's the same thing they do at club level. Last season, Messi dominated Ronaldo domestically, but they said Ronaldo had the better season because he was better in the CL knockout stages and won the CL. Ronaldo's teammates also won the CL and performed better than Messi's in the knockout stages, but people like @Peyroteo still decided that Messi had better teammates because of.....?

In the Messi/Ronaldo debate, they focus exclusively on CL knockout matches and constantly downplay the importance of domestic play to suit their agenda. However, they'll also hype up Suarez as this amazing striker that Messi gets to play with even though he has 1 CL goal in the past two seasons. If the CL knockout stages are so important in judging players, then how do they justify saying Suarez is better than Benzema and Mandzukic when the latter two have been far better in those matches over recent years? That's one of the more obvious contradictions, but it's obvious in their arguments all the time comparing the support each player has had.

Basically, they judge Ronaldo's teammates and Messi by their worst qualities, judge Messi's teammates and Ronaldo by their best qualities, and then get all triggered whenever someone calls them out on their nonsense.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Oh the irony... Ronaldo scored all the goals against Ajax yet you were more than happy getting all giddy about how he failed this season. Somehow the same logic of "if his team mates didn't bottle it" doesn't apply?
Funny it always seems this logic only applies to Messi. Every loss is his teammates fault, every win is all down to Messi.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I didn't, in fact I defended Cristiano when Juve went out and said he wasn't to blame, so stop accusing me of things I didn't say, Donald. Not everybody is as subjective as you.

Tostao_80

Yet except Messi (out of the CL), basically none of them has even close to the assists figures that Ronaldo has.

It is a ridiculous statement and you know it.
Your theory that having more assists means you are more creative has been debunked before. You must di better.
https://sillyseason.com/football/top-10-assist-kings-in-football-europe-past-5-seasons-46822/
Thomas Muller had the 6th most assists in Europes top 5 leagues between 13 and 18. This is more than Hazaard and De Bruyne. So your logic would be, Muller is more creative than the latter two. Yet, we all know that is blatantly not true. Do you remember a guy called Andres Iniesta? He was quite handy if i recall. 65 assists in league and CL play between 09/10 and 17/18, 9 seasons and a paltry 7 assists on average. That's a very low amount. But guess what, he goes down in history as one of the most creative players of the last 20 years. Assists doesnt necessarily mean more creative.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yep, stopped taking his posts seriously a long while back, was pretty obvious from the off.
Glad you don't, since that would mean I have to reconsider my opinion, "kiddo". If you guys really think Cristiano's contribution aside from goals is better than any of Messi's, Hazard's, Neymar's, de Bruyne's, the Silva's, Sterling's, Salah's (etc..) there's really no light at the end of the tunnel. Always impressive how sympathies can affect perception.

Canagel

The thing is that most of us who are Ronaldo fans think that he’s #1 but we are happy to admit that it’s not a 100% slam dunk. The Messi fans (not all) however, seem to refuse to even entertain the thought that their lad is not the greatest ever - it’s just that arrogance that irks me. They are almost offended at the very idea that it’s open for debate.
So doesn't this prove Messi is better? If Messi fans feels very strongly to not entertain a debate why is Ronaldo fans not doing the same and admits it's not slam dunk?

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
So doesn't this prove Messi is better? If Messi fans feels very strongly to not entertain a debate why is Ronaldo fans not doing the same and admits it's not slam dunk?
No.

That’s like saying Trump fans are right since they are more fierce and refuse to entertain that they might be wrong.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Not at all, just because one group is more vocal doesn't make them right.

Brexit rings a bell?

Status
Not open for further replies.