Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
No.

That’s like saying Trump fans are right since they are more fierce and refuse to entertain that they might be wrong.
No, it's not. Trump voters are more fierce because Trump naturally attracts fierce people unwilling to admit they're wrong. They vote for him because they are more fierce, not the other way round. Unless you want to suggest that Messi attracts the same kind of people with his football, your argument don't make sense. There's no reason to estimate that the group that supports Messi consists of different political and demographic clusters than Cristiano's since they both attract people across all nations and societal segments.

Saffron

Not at all, just because one group is more vocal doesn't make them right.

Brexit rings a bell?
I don’t think you’ll want to be bringing up Brexit at all since the similarities are not flattering for your side.

On one side we have the experts (economical and football wise) who overwhelmingly oppose Brexit and prefer Messi. And on the other we have the brutish hordes who support Brexit and Ronaldo. The Brexit Bus might as well have said ”3 CLs in a row”.

Of all the high profile, neutral pundits with actual footballing acumen, the overwhelming majority prefer Messi.

SirAF

Ageist
I don’t think you’ll want to be bringing up Brexit at all since the similarities are not flattering for your side.

On one side we have the experts (economical and football wise) who overwhelmingly oppose Brexit and prefer Messi. And on the other we have the brutish hordes who support Brexit and Ronaldo. The Brexit Bus might as well have said ”3 CLs in a row”.

Of all the high profile, neutral pundits with actual footballing acumen, the overwhelming majority prefer Messi.
Behave :lol:

*looks at your history*

Jesus, do you post in other threads?

Righteous Steps

*looks at your history*

What expert would argue against Messi being better player? As good scoring wise and better, far better creatively, it’s not as big of a contest as some will have you imagine.

SirAF

Ageist
What expert would argue against Messi being better player? As good scoring wise and better, far better creatively, it’s not as big of a contest as some will have you imagine.
Francesco Totti:

"We are talking about three footballing aliens [Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar]. I think that, in the end, Ronaldo is ahead of the others.”

Roberto Carlos:

"I watch him [Cristiano] train every day and the way he works is exciting. He wants to improve every day. That's the difference with Messi. Leo is a phenomenon, we never talk about Neymar... but that side of Cristiano, of training, professionalism, focus, motivation, success... Cristiano has an advantage over all the others."

“I’m going for Ronaldo,” Giggs said. “European Championship and he’s done it in two countries.”

Saffron

*looks at your history*

I am not calling myself an expert, but Scholes, Ferdinand, Capello and so on and so on.

Most experts in the Ronaldo camp have an obvious bias (having played with him, being Portuguese, managing him etc).

Saffron

Francesco Totti:

"We are talking about three footballing aliens [Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar]. I think that, in the end, Ronaldo is ahead of the others.”

Roberto Carlos:

"I watch him [Cristiano] train every day and the way he works is exciting. He wants to improve every day. That's the difference with Messi. Leo is a phenomenon, we never talk about Neymar... but that side of Cristiano, of training, professionalism, focus, motivation, success... Cristiano has an advantage over all the others."

“I’m going for Ronaldo,” Giggs said. “European Championship and he’s done it in two countries.”
Only valid one there is Totti, and he brought Neymar into the discussion so that pretty much disqualifies him. Everyone knows Totti is dumb. He can barely speak Italian.

R Carlos isn’t saying Ronaldo is better. He, as an employee of Real Madrid, is saying he tries harder in training.

Giggs used to play with him.

Righteous Steps

Francesco Totti:

Roberto Carlos:

These guys aren’t experts, reason why many of them would be awful managers.

Saffron

But journalists who never played the game are?
Who the hell brought up journalists who never played the game?

Again, I shouldn’t be surprised by Ronaldo fans inventing their own fantasy world :rolleyes:

Saffron

So only managers?
I literally named two players as examples of experts. Not sure how you got that wrong two times in a row now.

Take a list of all the players and managers who have an opinion on this (discounting anyone with an obvious bias) and it will lean heavily toward Messi.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Err... on the one side you have the so called majority lying through their teeth and preferring Messi.

The other side are fewer in numbers but are more objective than prefer Ronaldo.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I am not calling myself an expert, but Scholes, Ferdinand, Capello and so on and so on.

Most experts in the Ronaldo camp have an obvious bias (having played with him, being Portuguese, managing him etc).
Where's this Ferdinand quote you keep referring to?

Tostao_80

I literally named two players as examples of experts. Not sure how you got that wrong two times in a row now.

Take a list of all the players and managers who have an opinion on this (discounting anyone with an obvious bias) and it will lean heavily toward Messi.
According to Cal, they're lying through their teeth. Quite what would motivate someone like Capello to lie on the subject is anyone's guess.
Even the likes of Rio and Scholes (both Cristiano's former teammates) have said Leo is better. Why would they lie?
Speaking of which, are there any former Messi teammates (who aren't Portuguese or haven't played with Ronnie) that say that Cristiano is better? There must be some surely

Saffron

Err... on the one side you have the so called majority lying through their teeth and preferring Messi.

The other side are fewer in numbers but are more objective than prefer Ronaldo.
I’m just happy I finally got you to admit you are in the minority, so you can lay right off the ’Messi brigade’ nonsense meant to imply that Messi fans are the ones going against the grain.

You are about 32% according to messivsronaldo.com. That was also George W. Bush’s approval rating in 2006.

And Stephen Colbert had an interesting thing to say to him about that number at the White House Correspondents Dinner that same year.

SirAF

Ageist

I didn’t get it wrong I just wanted to confirm.. So Totto is not an expert because you think he’s stupid? Only selected players are experts? Got it

Cal?

CR7 fan
I’m just happy I finally got you to admit you are in the minority, so you can lay right off the ’Messi brigade’ nonsense meant to imply that Messi fans are the ones going against the grain.

You are about 32% according to messivsronaldo.com. That was also George W. Bush’s approval rating in 2006.

And Stephen Colbert had an interesting thing to say to him about that number at the White House Correspondents Dinner that same year.

You're going with an online poll? Trumpian much? I was merely replying to you lot claiming because a majority think something, it is not debatable.

I've always maintained that it is very much up for debate and I personally prefer Ronaldo.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Scholes is an expert whilst Totti is an idiot for disagreeing with you. Got it.

"For me he is the best player in the world. A machine. Incomparable." - Fernando Torres

Torres struggles with Spanish too? His English is probably better than Gerrard's.

Tostao_80

"For me he is the best player in the world. A machine. Incomparable." - Fernando Torres

Torres struggles with Spanish too? His English is probably better than Gerrard's.
That Torres quote was from 2008.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...cks-incomparable-Ronaldo-scoop-FIFA-gong.html

Guess what Fernando said in December 2017, 9 years later.
He said that Messi is the best. I have not seen or will ever see a player like Lionel Messi.
http://www.sportbible.com/football/...orres-pick-between-messi-and-ronaldo-20171220
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...naldo-Fernando-Torres-El-Clasico-La-Liga-news

Saffron

That Torres quote was from 2008.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...cks-incomparable-Ronaldo-scoop-FIFA-gong.html

Guess what Fernando said in December 2017, 9 years later.
He said that Messi is the best. I have not seen or will ever see a player like Lionel Messi.
http://www.sportbible.com/football/...orres-pick-between-messi-and-ronaldo-20171220
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...naldo-Fernando-Torres-El-Clasico-La-Liga-news
Wow, 2008 is literally the most biased year to fetch a quote from. Ronaldo was the reigning Fallon d’Flor champion while Messi was in a struggling team.

Doesn’t surprise me one bit that Cal? would pick a quote from that year and try to pass it off as recent.

What’s next, a quote from 2004?

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
Wow, 2008 is literally the most biased year to fetch a quote from. Ronaldo was the reigning Fallon d’Flor champion while Messi was in a struggling team.

Doesn’t surprise me one bit that Cal? would pick a quote from that year and try to pass it off as recent.

What’s next, a quote from 2004?
Credibility out of the window mate.

Saffron

Credibility out of the window mate.
Fair enough I take it back. Wasn’t meant to imply it wasn’t deserved that year.

No but for bringing Neymar into the discussion. That’s like bringing Andy Murray into a Federer/Nadal discussion and expect to be taken seriously.

According to Cal, they're lying through their teeth. Quite what would motivate someone like Capello to lie on the subject is anyone's guess.
Even the likes of Rio and Scholes (both Cristiano's former teammates) have said Leo is better. Why would they lie?
Speaking of which, are there any former Messi teammates (who aren't Portuguese or haven't played with Ronnie) that say that Cristiano is better? There must be some surely
It’s funny how Messi fans never bring up any Barcelona players praising Messi because it’s rightfully taken for granted, but Ronaldo fans are more than happy to bring up Real Madrid and United players.

The fact that so many of Ronaldo’s former teammates prefer Messi, but so few (none?) of Messi’s teammates prefer Ronaldo says something.

Cal?

CR7 fan
It’s funny how Messi fans never bring up any Barcelona players praising Messi because it’s rightfully taken for granted, but Ronaldo fans are more than happy to bring up Real Madrid and United players.

The fact that so many of Ronaldo’s former teammates prefer Messi, but so few (none?) of Messi’s teammates prefer Ronaldo says something.
Because Barcelona and the fans behave like a cult? Their holier than thou attitude, their belief that football can only be played one way and one way only.

Fridge chutney

On a Manchester United forum, almost twice as many people voted for Messi as the better player vs a former United player.

That tells you all you need to know.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Only valid one there is Totti, and he brought Neymar into the discussion so that pretty much disqualifies him. Everyone knows Totti is dumb. He can barely speak Italian.
One side blame Ronaldo fans for cherry picking stats, twisting things and on other hand come up with nonsense like this :lol:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
On a Manchester United forum, almost twice as many people voted for Messi as the better player vs a former United player.

That tells you all you need to know.
Is it your first time here? Fans here often bash our own players, criticized former legends, and hold grudge against players (or former players) who wants out at/before their prime.

Fridge chutney

Is it your first time here? Fans here often bash our own players, criticized former legends, and hold grudge against players (or former players) who wants out at/before their prime.
Fair point. But Ronaldo is correctly idolized here. And his sale many use as the reference point for the start of our decline.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Far better in build up play, maybe. Far better creativity, is abit of far fetched. Ronaldo has the highest no. of assists in CL all time history. I think he also has 2nd or 3rd highest no. of assist over his career. Yes Messi is still better, not not by that far as people would have imagine.

Tostao_80

Another argument based on a falsehood. Totti's quote was in reference to the Balon Dor for 2017 and who should win it (out of the three players which is why Neymar was mentioned. He said "But I think that, in the end, Ronaldo is ahead of the others. He had an amazing season and also accomplished all of his goals with the most prestigious of teams."
Later on in the quote, he says “Despite the extraordinary job of [Chelsea manager] Antonio Conte and [Juventus boss] Maximiliano Allegri I think Zinedine Zidane is the favourite for the same reasons as Cristiano Ronaldo: he won everything the last season.”
At no point did Totti say that Cristiano is a better player.
https://www.soccerladuma.co.za/news...ssi-cristiano-ronaldo-neymar/282059?next=true

Infact 6 months later, Totti is asked specifically who is better of the two. Guess who he picks?
http://www.sportbible.com/football/...larious-take-on-messi-ronaldo-debate-20180202
Far better in build up play, maybe. Far better creativity, is abit of far fetched. Ronaldo has the highest no. of assists in CL all time history. I think he also has 2nd or 3rd highest no. of assist over his career. Yes Messi is still better, not not by that far as people would have imagine.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
OK, this may seem absurd but why don't both the Messi and Ronaldo fans just give up on convincing each other on who is the best? Every time one of them has a good game or wins something, this thread gets bumped and the same few points gets rehashed over and over again. I mean, it's pretty clear that people have their own favourites and they are not going to get swayed because "Ronaldo has done it in different leagues", "Messi can be a playmaker and striker" , "Player X, Y and Z say Messi / Ronaldo is better" isn't going to make anyone change their opinion.

Reactions: roonster09

Righteous Steps

More chances created, more key passes...the problem is some of you don’t know how to proper measure creativity, the stats I mentioned are probably more important than just assist numbers which Messi has more than Ronaldo every year also.

K13

I have watched so many great footballers over the last decades and I have never seen a player like Messi.

He has the most amazing level of ability. He can dribble like Maradona, can score goals like the Brazilian Ronaldo, can pass like Zidane, the football intelligence of Socrates, he can also tackle and win the ball.

Ronaldo is exceptional but Messi is a once in a lifetime genius.

MalcolmTucker

You're a pretty reasonable Ronaldo fan in this thread but Messi is on a different level to Ronaldo when it comes to creativity. Assist numbers often don't tell the whole story.

Look at the chances Jorginho created this season yet he recorded 0 assists whereas Ashley Westwood got 7 from the same position - does this mean Ashley Westwood is far more creative than Jorginho?

Messi is one of the greatest passers of all time, perhaps the best playmaker of all time. Ronaldo for all his strengths is not close, honestly. A season of Messi's best passes is longer than a career of Ronaldo's. I feel you're using assists to validate something you want to believe rather than using assists to measure what is actually true.

Status
Not open for further replies.