Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirAF

Ageist
Nice to see France Football campaigning for CRonaldo this year as well. Absolutely disgraceful. Wouldn't surprise me the slightest if Jorge Mendes have given them some solid "donations" through the years.

As for the Ballon, Van Dijk should win; he "won" the media share of the FIFA award and neither Messi nor CRonaldo have done anything since then to sway votes in their favour.
:lol: :lol:

cyberman

Reality is that Leo Messi has 10 league titles, a lot more than Cristiano. He will end up with more league titles than any great player of the past. You think in 50 years time when people are looking back on Leos career they will say "oh, lets not include the first 2, he just basically collected medals"?
And by the way, he didnt just collect his medal in the 05/06 league season, he actually played 17 league games for Barcelona. 10 league titles and counting.
Giggs has 13.
Which is ridiculous.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
I just found it.

I refuse to get excited just yet... :drool:
Quote:

‘Italian press trying to hype up claims of a secret meeting between Cristiano Ronaldo & France Football in relation to the 2019 Ballon D’Or. Turns out he was just being interviewed for this week’s magazine edition...’

(Source: Get French Football News).

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Odds have tumbled apparently now.
Quoting the wrong person here i know. But what possible reason is there for ronaldo winning ?
Quote:

‘Italian press trying to hype up claims of a secret meeting between Cristiano Ronaldo & France Football in relation to the 2019 Ballon D’Or. Turns out he was just being interviewed for this week’s magazine edition...’

(source; Get French Football News).

SirAF

Ageist
Quoting the wrong person here i know. But what possible reason is there for ronaldo winning ?
It looks like the news are bogus. I don't expect him to win it but it certainly wouldn't be a disgrace or anything. He's won a league title and an international trophy as well as knocking out Atletico in the CL basically by himself.

That said, for him to just be in the mix at almost 35 is something special.

cyberman

Odds have tumbled apparently now.
EPL playerrs dont really win Balon Dors and when they can, European clubs and entourages campaign hard for their stars.
Barca had that meltdown at Anfield that can take the shine off Messi while Ronaldo could point to that league of nations victory as well.
I also think Ronaldo was robbed last year anf this could be a correction for that.
Thats all I have.

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
If the reports of him already knowing that he has won is true, then surely the award is rigged? According to the article doing the rounds, FF visited Juve/CR the same day the 30 Ballon candidates were revealed - meaning the journos couldn't vote prior to that. Quite remarkable that FF within 24 hours received all 190+ votes, counted them, went to Turin and informed CR of his win. The voting deadline is November 8th btw

For what it's worth France Football had a similar interview with CR last year, in the periond between the Ballon candidates were known and the award ceremony.

Tostao_80

It looks like the news are bogus. I don't expect him to win it but it certainly wouldn't be a disgrace or anything. He's won a league title and an international trophy as well as knocking out Atletico in the CL basically by himself.

It would be a disgrace. Cristiano has been far from the best player in the world in 2019, even most of his ardent fans on here would admit so. Best player in the Nations league? No. Best player in the CL? No. Best player in domestic football in Europe? No.
He shouldn't come anywhere near VVD and Leo.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
EPL playerrs dont really win Balon Dors and when they can, European clubs and entourages campaign hard for their stars.
Barca had that meltdown at Anfield that can take the shine off Messi while Ronaldo could point to that league of nations victory as well.
I also think Ronaldo was robbed last year anf this could be a correction for that.
Thats all I have.
This is the only reason i can see him winning, Modric winning that year was a joke.

MrEleson

If the reports of him already knowing that he has won is true, then surely the award is rigged? According to the article doing the rounds, FF visited Juve/CR the same day the 30 Ballon candidates were revealed - meaning the journos couldn't vote prior to that. Quite remarkable that FF within 24 hours received all 190+ votes, counted them, went to Turin and informed CR of his win. The voting deadline is November 8th btw

For what it's worth France Football had a similar interview with CR last year, in the periond between the Ballon candidates were known and the award ceremony.
all it proves is that the reports are nonsense, nothing more. I’m pretty sure they did the same thing last year where they had an interview with him and even issued his face on France Football magazine but he never won.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Messi is considered the GOAT now, by many people. What makes you think this will change as time goes by? He can only add to his legacy as he wins more with Barcelona.
You also said that you can see Cristiano winning 8 or 9 leagues by the time hes finished, and that would be as great as any other GOAT candidate. Well, Messi is already on 10, he could end up with 12/ 13 league titles. Which GOAT candidate would come close to that? Hell, which GOAT candidate comes close to his current 10?
I don't think 8-9 vs 12-13 league titles (or 10-11 won as key players) would makes any difference in GOAT standing. It only means both players are very very accomplished/successful at domestic league level. Let's just say in terms of their career, both will get a 10/10 at domestic league level. but if we look further, Ronaldo will have the edge.

Domestic league level
Messi 10/10 - Won 10 La Liga (8 as key player), scored 421 goals in the league
Ronaldo 9.5/10 - won 6 league titles in England, Spain and Italy, scored 423 goals in the league (would get 10/10 if he wins a few more)

CL level
Ronaldo 10/10 - won 5 CL, scored 127 goals
Messi 9.5/10 - won 4 CL (3 as key player), scored 113 goals

International level
Ronaldo 9/10 - won Euro, scored 95 international goals
Messi 8/10 - 0 trophy, scored 68 international goals

Individual level
Ronaldo 10/10 - won 5 Ballon D'or, scored 701 career goals
Messi 10/10 - won 5 Ballon D'or, scored 674 career goals

Fans recognition (eye test) (subjective)
Ronaldo 9/10 - most determined, most clutch
Messi 10/10 - most talented, most god-gifted

Last edited:

Righteous Steps

It would be a disgrace, i mean last season there were like 3 attackers alone who outperformed in.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It would be funny if they were just trolling him so he would actually attend the ceremony.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
In general how many high profile players and managers have Ronaldo in contention for the greatest ever? IMO there is no doubt that he is in contention, but Messi has been talked about as possibly the best ever since he was around 24 I think. I feel with Ronaldo he's mostly compared with Messi, but not really compared as much with Pele or Maradonna.

Tostao_80

I don't think 8-9 vs 12-13 league titles (or 10-11 won as key players) would makes any difference in GOAT standing. It only means both players are very very accomplished/successful at domestic league level. Let's just say in terms of their career, both will get a 10/10 at domestic league level. but if we look further, Ronaldo will have the edge.

Domestic league level
Messi 10/10 - Won 10 La Liga (8 as key player), scored 421 goals in the league
Ronaldo 9.5/10 - won 6 league titles in England, Spain and Italy, scored 423 goals in the league (would get 10/10 if he wins a few more)

CL level
Ronaldo 10/10 - won 5 CL, scored 127 goals
Messi 9.5/10 - won 4 CL (3 as key player), scored 113 goals

International level
Ronaldo 9/10 - won Euro, scored 95 international goals
Messi 8/10 - 0 trophy, scored 68 international goals

Individual level
Ronaldo 10/10 - won 5 Ballon D'or, scored 701 career goals
Messi 10/10 - won 5 Ballon D'or, scored 674 career goals

Fans recognition (eye test) (subjective)
Ronaldo 9/10 - most determined, most clutch
Messi 10/10 - most talented, most god-gifted
So, when Leo has the edge domestically, you give them both 10s, yet when Cristiano has the edge in the CL, you give Leo 8.5?
He's definitely at a 10 in the CL. You would struggle to name 5 better CL/ Euro Cup in the last 100 years of the competition. And he's 32, and still playing. Since Di Stefano, who has been better (apart from Cristiano).

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
In general how many high profile players and managers have Ronaldo in contention for the greatest ever? IMO there is no doubt that he is in contention, but Messi has been talked about as possibly the best ever since he was around 24 I think. I feel with Ronaldo he's mostly compared with Messi, but not really compared as much with Pele or Maradonna.
You could probably count them on one hand.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
When he plays like today I always have a hard time understanding how anyone can think Cristiano is better.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So, when Leo has the edge domestically, you give them both 10s, yet when Cristiano has the edge in the CL, you give Leo 8.5?
He's definitely at a 10 in the CL. You would struggle to name 5 better CL/ Euro Cup in the last 100 years of the competition. And he's 32, and still playing. Since Di Stefano, who has been better (apart from Cristiano).
I don’t know why you are mis-reading it. I gave Ronaldo 9.5/10 in domestics league (not 10), and Messi 9.5/10 in CL (not 8.5) for now. Sure if they won a few more they would both get a 10.

Tostao_80

I don’t know why you are mis-reading it. I gave Ronaldo 9.5/10 in domestics league (not 10), and Messi 9.5/10 in CL (not 8.5) for now. Sure if they won a few more they would both get a 10.
The point stands, Leo Messi is one of the 3 greatest CL/ Euro cup players of all time. He needs to be on a 10. Goals, final performances, legendary performances, legendary goals, only Cristiano and Alfredo compare. No one in the history of the competition has reached peak Leo performance in the CL. Those semi performances (the whole 90) against Cristianos Real and Bayern are individually unmatched. He is a definite 10 in the CL.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The point stands, Leo Messi is one of the 3 greatest CL/ Euro cup players of all time. He needs to be on a 10. Goals, final performances, legendary performances, legendary goals, only Cristiano and Alfredo compare. No one in the history of the competition has reached peak Leo performance in the CL. Those semi performances (the whole 90) against Cristianos Real and Bayern are individually unmatched. He is a definite 10 in the CL.
Personally I only recognize Messi winning 3 CL not 4 (the first one is won by Ronaldinho Barca, with Messi only playing a bit part role). I think he need to at least win 1-2 more CL as key player to get a 10 for me. Both Ronaldo and Di Stefano has dominate the competition, winning 5 CL as key player and was all time top scorer during their time, so they are unquestionably GOAT of the competition and worth a 10 for me. Messi, although excellent on individual level, doesn’t dominate the competition in the same way the two other did.

And that’s the same reason I only give Ronaldo a 9.5 in domestic league for now, although he has been excellent on individual level, he didn’t win enough titles to get there yet. If you give Messi a 10 in CL, Ronaldo will get a 10 in domestic league too. But I think in terms of achievement, a 10 vs 9.5 will be more appropriate for now.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
So I actually checked this and....holy shit it's almost correct.

If 19 or Ronaldo's freekicks have hit the wall, that means 9 got past the wall.

Since Ronaldo joined Juve in 2018, Messi has scored 9 freekicks for Barcelona; 7 in La Liga and 2 in the CL (Alaves, Espanyol x3, Betis, Villareal, Sevilla, PSV, Liverpool).

So he's actually scored as many freekicks for Barcelona (9) ad Ronaldo has gotten over the wall (9)

:lol:

Marshal

When he plays like today I always have a hard time understanding how anyone can think Cristiano is better.
People compare them just considering the part were CR can compete (goals and trophies), but they forget this is just a part of Messi. After that you still have his playmaker skills, surgeon assists, free-kicks and so on. I think CR as a striker is as good as Messi and he is better in a couple of things (winning mentality and header), but then Messi is overwhelmingly better in what I said before where CR can't be even taken into account.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Just for the record, I don't agree at all that Cristiano is a better CL player than Messi and I wonder since when this has become something like the consensus in here.

First of all, players aren't different in the CL and the league and neither is the sport. Messi's feet aren't suddenly less gifted, Cristiano isn't less athletic etc. So this notion is dumb from the very beginning if you ask me. And also, Cristiano's best performances IMO aren't up there with Messi's. He can score braces and hattricks all he wants but he never exerted the same influence on a game Messi has had so many times. What we can agree on is that Cristiano has got more goals and CL titles than Messi, congratulations. Taking that as the metric to judge their CL performances at is still just stupid and I've never seen such comparisons when two players are compared and none of them is named Cristiano Ronaldo. Those arguments aren't born out of conviction but out of desperation. In the minds of those people using them, the conclusion to this discussion is preset because they are emotionally attached to one of the players so that they are searching for arguments to back this conclusion up instead of discovering every argument there is in order to build an opinion.

Gehrman

Just for the record, I don't agree at all that Cristiano is a better CL player than Messi and I wonder since when this has become something like the consensus in here.

First of all, players aren't different in the CL and the league and neither is the sport. Messi's feet aren't suddenly less gifted, Cristiano isn't less athletic etc. So this notion is dumb from the very beginning if you ask me. And also, Cristiano's best performances IMO aren't up there with Messi's. He can score braces and hattricks all he wants but he never exerted the same influence on a game Messi has had so many times. What we can agree on is that Cristiano has got more goals and CL titles than Messi, congratulations. Taking that as the metric to judge their CL performances at is still just stupid and I've never seen such comparisons when two players are compared and none of them is named Cristiano Ronaldo. Those arguments aren't born out of conviction but out of desperation. In the minds of those people using them, the conclusion to this discussion is preset because they are emotionally attached to one of the players so that they are searching for arguments to back this conclusion up instead of discovering every argument there is in order to build an opinion.
You can't say that scoring hattricks and braces is not influencing the game though. I agree that Messi has more to his game as a playmaker, but Ronaldo leads the assists as well.

MalcolmTucker

You can't say that scoring hattricks and braces is not influencing the game though. I agree that Messi has more to his game as a playmaker, but Ronaldo leads the assists as well.
If you measure the game in just numbers, Ronaldo has been more influential than Messi but some of Messi's best games in the CL are when he hasn't scored. Messi's skillset is far too broad to just breakdown into a column of two stats.

Anyway, Messi last night;

Last edited:

MS4

If one of them should have 6 ballon dors, it should be Messi. If they both have 5 its fine but if someone is better, its Messi Simple as that

Damn. I just watched the game.
Purely on this game he shows why he is the best.

The assisst to Vidal. Pure class, perfection
The Freekick. Also perfection
His first touch before his volley goal. Damn.
And then another great assisst...which is already standard.

He showed he is capable to do everything in the last third

Last edited:

Gehrman

If you measure the game in just numbers, Ronaldo has been more influential than Messi but some of Messi's best games in the CL are when he hasn't scored. Messi's skillset is far too broad to just breakdown into a column of two stats.

Anyway, Messi last night;

Anyway I generally agree. Messi can have memorable games where he doesn't score with Ronaldo not so much.

Tostao_80

If one of them should have 6 ballon dors, it should be Messi. If they both have 5 its fine but if someone is better, its Messi Simple as that

Damn. I just watched the game.
Purely on this game he shows why he is the best.

The assisst to Vidal. Pure class, perfection
The Freekick. Also perfection
His first touch before his volley goal. Damn.
And then another great assisst...which is already standard.

He showed he is capable to do everything in the last third
Theres quite simply never been a more rounded player in the last third in football history. Who in football history has combined GOAT level goalscoring, GOAT level playmaking, GOAT passing and GOAT dribbling all into one? Diego didn't have the goalscoring, Pele the passing, Cruyff the goals, Cristiano the playmaking and passing.
He only needs 16 more free kicks to enter top 3 of all time. He has been the worlds best free kick taker in the last 7years, by some distance. He will end his career as one of the greatest free kick takers of all time too. Incredible.

Pocho

In 16 seasons at Barcelona, Leo Messi has scored 608 goals in a total of 695 games, while Cristiano Ronaldo, who has been 18 professional campaigns, has scored his 606 goals in 814 games, that is, about 119 games more than Messi

MS4

Theres quite simply never been a more rounded player in the last third in football history. Who in football history has combined GOAT level goalscoring, GOAT level playmaking, GOAT passing and GOAT dribbling all into one? Diego didn't have the goalscoring, Pele the passing, Cruyff the goals, Cristiano the playmaking and passing.
He only needs 16 more free kicks to enter top 3 of all time. He has been the worlds best free kick taker in the last 7years, by some distance. He will end his career as one of the greatest free kick takers of all time too. Incredible.
So true and actually so obvious.
I did not know about the freekicks. Wow. Is there any other attacker record he does not own by now :P ?

Gehrman

I think Pele had the passing too to be fair.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
In 16 seasons at Barcelona, Leo Messi has scored 608 goals in a total of 695 games, while Cristiano Ronaldo, who has been 18 professional campaigns, has scored his 606 goals in 814 games, that is, about 119 games more than Messi
"But Ronaldo is clearly the better goalscorer of the 2"

Adding to that, both the goal records for a season and calendar year are on Messi's name too.

Status
Not open for further replies.