Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
This thread is garbage. They are both freaks of football. Ronaldo is probably the best footballer you could ever create.
Messi is probably the best footballer you'd ever want to be.

Trying to separate them is like trying to separate yin and yang. One without the other wouldn't allow us to have opinions.

Pele /Maradona
Cruyff/Platini

MrEleson

Or the fact that Ronaldo only won two league titles in Spain to Messi's 6 while they were together in Spain?

I'll seriously never understand how casually it's brushed under the rug that Messi dragged mediocre Barcelona sides to league titles in 2012/13, 2015/16, 2017/18 and 2018/19. His achievements in La Liga are unbelievably underappreciated.
Real Madrid were worse in arguably every single one of those seasons you listed. Nonsense post. The only season I’d say Real were genuinely the best in Spain and Europe was probably 16/17. In 15/16 Real Madrid became the better team after Benitez had been sacked and Zidane took over but the deficit was too large to make up even though they came within 1 point of Barca at the end.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Real Madrid were worse in arguably every single one of those seasons you listed. Nonsense post. The only season I’d say Real were genuinely the best in Spain and Europe was probably 16/17. In 15/16 Real Madrid became the better team after Benitez had been sacked and Zidane took over but the deficit was too large to make up even though they came within 1 point of Barca at the end.
In that time ronaldo had pelligrini jose ancelotti benitez zizou
Meanwhile after pep barca had tito tata enrique valverde all average at best managers.

MrEleson

In that time ronaldo had pelligrini jose ancelotti benitez zizou
Meanwhile after pep barca had tito tata enrique valverde all average at best managers.
Yeah...Jose had his infamous 3rd season fallout with the club so for the season mentioned (12/13) he definitely wasn’t better than any of those.

Ancelotti wasn’t there in the seasons that poster mentioned and he was never a great league manager.

Benitez was absolutely terrible in his half season with Madrid hence why he only lasted half a season.

zidane was excellent in half season job for 15/16 and actually accumulated more points in the league than Enrique did but the damage done by Benitez made the league just out of touch and ofcourse he won the year later. So yeah he was decent.

But when you break it down Madrid really haven’t had much better coaches.

Enrique won a treble btw unless you attribute that entirely to Messi.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yeah...Jose had his infamous 3rd season fallout with the club so for the season mentioned (12/13) he definitely wasn’t better than any of those.

Ancelotti wasn’t there in the seasons that poster mentioned and he was never a great league manager.

Benitez was absolutely terrible in his half season with Madrid hence why he only lasted half a season.

zidane was excellent in half season job for 15/16 and actually accumulated more points in the league than Enrique did but the damage done by Benitez made the league just out of touch and ofcourse he won the year later. So yeah he was decent.

But when you break it down Madrid really haven’t had much better coaches.

Enrique won a treble btw unless you attribute that entirely to Messi.
I honestly think Moyes would win a treble with prime Messi-Suarez-Neymar leading the attack.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
This is a ridiculous argument. You're saying that because Real Madrid won, Ronaldo's average performances in those finals don't count? How biased are you? This whole discussion is to point out that Ronaldo is not perfect in big game situations and when evidence shows Ronaldo isn't a perfect 10/10, it doesn't count. Jesus christ.

Don't know why I bothered to engage with you. I'm out.
Maradona isn't a perfect 10/10 in 86 WC final, so does it matter? Jesus Christ, you are mental. I'm out too.

Gehrman

Maradona isn't a perfect 10/10 in 86 WC final, so does it matter? Jesus Christ, you are mental. I'm out too.
It's the whole narrative that that Messi is a more gifted footballer, but people would choose Ronaldo over him in a final while that fact is Ronaldo has not been Motm in most of the biggest finals of his career. This of course does not take anything away from his amazing Cl record and his goals in the knockouts. I just don't think there is very much science behind Ronaldo being much more of a big game player than Messi.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Did anyone see the Rakuten tv docu series about barca? It's hilarious how they reveal the 'Just pass it to Messi' tactic :lol:

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
Did anyone see the Rakuten tv docu series about barca? It's hilarious how they reveal the 'Just pass it to Messi' tactic :lol:
To be fair, everyone can see that this is their most-employed tactic. When you build a team around a certain player who is better than everyone else in the team, the entire team will defer to him. Liverpool had the same issue with Coutinho before he left, for example.

Gehrman

Even Casillas is calling Messi the GOAT

Generally high-profile players and managers talks about Messi as the goat including Ronaldo's own team mates and managers. It's rare to hear great managers and players call Ronaldo the goat.

IFC 1905

he said goat as an adjective, putting messi in that tier. Which everyone would agree with. Messi and Ronaldo both are GOAT tier.

To me only Maradona, Pele and Messi get into the BOAT tier which is a different one.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Lock the thread for now. It’s settled

Messi 6
Ronaldo 5

Bole Top

the only thing that's different now is the fact you can say one of them has 1 individual award more than the other one. personally, this debate ended a while ago, after waching so many matches between United/Madrid and Barcelona. not a single time I could say I was watching a superior and more talented player in Ronaldo. not now, not when they were both at their peaks, not ever. obviously I was in Ronaldo camp at first, partly because I was biased after watching him for majority of his career at United, partly because Messi was still young and still wasn't scoring as Ronnie at the time (2006-08 period). but once Messi peaked, that was it. he is simply a better player and there's very little to discuss about that. to stand a chance in this debate, even on United forum, Ronaldo needs to win CL and international trophy in the same season with insane goalscoring stats and Messi needs to lose in every competition. only then can narrative shift a bit in Ronaldo's favour and even then, majority would still see Messi as a better footballer because he simply is. any other scenario is one way street, obviously, which is pretty much what is happening these days.

congrats, GOAT :drool:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Pleased we can all agree that this means Messi is the better player and this thread has come to its natural conclusion.

Time to lock the thread so this moment can be preserved in time forever.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Crazy that this debate is officially over.

Gonna miss this thread

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What will they finish with?

Will they both get 10+ each? Messi definitely will, not sure about Ronaldo.
I highly doubt Messi will win 10. I reckon he wins 1 or 2 more before the younger generation start taking over. Ronaldo in my opinion has only next year to win it if Juventus win the Champions League.

van Hooijdonk

It never was really a debate. Messi is the GOAT. Ronaldo is a fantastic player - one of the best of all-time, but Leo is above them all.

izec

Jesus, the Messi guys have occupied it :lol:

Ronaldo will try to fight back. I would wait another 2 years.

Saffron

Ronaldo is too old :)

Lionel Messi – undisputed Ballon d’Or champion of the world. The GOAT debate is settled.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Honestly, Ronaldo is done. That isn't even me saying that as a Messi stan but just from watching him this season.

Also don't agree with my fellow Messi stans in that this means the debate is over. There was never a debate to begin with :p

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Never been a debate in my eyes.

I mean I've got nothing but respect for CR7 and the hard work and dedication he has put in to give himself the career he's had but Messi is the most natural gifted player of all time.

I really want to go to Barca just to be able to say I've seen him live but knowing my luck he'd get injured or rested.

Gomes

And there I was thinking this thread could not get more embarrassing.

SharpshooterTom

I highly doubt Messi will win 10. I reckon he wins 1 or 2 more before the younger generation start taking over. Ronaldo in my opinion has only next year to win it if Juventus win the Champions League.
A common theme I've noticed is people keep on underestiminating the longevity of modern day sportstars.

They keep on talking about the younger generation in mens tennis, and yet they're still nowhere. Serena, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are all still the top players.

Chris Froome will probably dominate tour cycling till he's 40, O'Sullivan still dominating (ish) Snooker, Serena still making finals at near 40, Lebron will still be the worlds best basketball player at 40+, Brady still best QB at 42 etc.

I expect both Messi and Ronaldo to be winning Ballon dO'rs around age 40. So 10+ for one of them is very likely.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
A common theme I've noticed is people keep on underestiminating the longevity of modern day sportstars.

They keep on talking about the younger generation in mens tennis, and yet they're still nowhere. Serena, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are all still the top players.

Chris Froome will probably dominate tour cycling till he's 40, O'Sullivan still dominating (ish) Snooker, Serena still making finals at near 40, Lebron will still be the worlds best basketball player at 40+, Brady still best QB at 42 etc.

I expect both Messi and Ronaldo to be winning Ballon dO'rs around age 40. So 10+ for one of them is very likely.
Hmm. Not sure about that one. Giannis is only 24 and Luka's only 20.

United58

I think Messi's better, but who are the lunatics using the Ballon D'Or as the only and only yardstick for who's the best? :lol:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think Messi's better, but who are the lunatics using the Ballon D'Or as the only and only yardstick for who's the best? :lol:
It's kind of sad that this is the reason for the closing of the argument, a sham award that somehow is still taken seriously by some. But it's good that it's finally over because, as some have said, the argument should have been closed much sooner.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's only taken seriously when Messi wins it.

zkap

Supports
Barça
It's kind of sad that this is the reason for the closing of the argument, a sham award that somehow is still taken seriously by some. But it's good that it's finally over because, as some have said, the argument should have been closed much sooner.
Indeed. For anyone following football and not being Portuguese, the Ballon d’Or is not the deciding factor. It’s a popularity contest and Messi won it now not because of some divine justice that doesn’t exist, but because his rival doesn’t invest in managers and PR like Ronaldo does. If Juve had won the CL, we’d be seeing Ronaldo celebrating his sixth now.

Speaking as a Barça fan and someone who genuinely feels a huge debt of gratitude towards Messi for all the joy he’s given me over the years, the Ballon d’Or should be ignored. It’s a PR stunt and, since they couldn’t have given it to a Real Madrid player this time around, it went to Messi.

Tonight doesn’t make Messi any better historically speaking, but what I do find extremely amusing and poetic is that people started flocking into this thread calling for this discussion to be officially over due to a PR stunt of an award being given to the best player in the world for the first time since 2015. It is only right that this fabricated rivalry should officially close because the player that rode the PR machine missed out so badly that even a marketing project couldn’t do anything for him.

This doesn’t make Messi’s position any better than it was a month ago, but it does make me laugh.

Kammy26

Ronaldo should go to PSG if he wants to keep up with Messi numbers wise.

He’s got no chance of doing it in Serie A or over here in England.

Paris is his best bet.
Score loads of goals
Mega salary
Big chance of winning the UCL

Status
Not open for further replies.