Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Even hardcore Messi fanboys surely must admit that going back to United in our current state is much more of an actual challenge than going to Paris?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Even hardcore Messi fanboys surely must admit that going back to United in our current state is much more of an actual challenge than going to Paris?
Oh it is for sure, but I think it was re-uniting with his mates Di Maria, Neymar and Ramos was the lure as well as infinite gold and a good shot at a CL that was his calling.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Ronaldo at 36 joining the best league in the world, for a club which hasn't won a single league title in 8 years, nor a trophy in past 4 years
vs
Messi at 34 joining the 5th league, for an oil club which is so far ahead if its competitors, and had won 22 trophies in past 7 years.
Even if he had gone to Manchester City it would still had been a better challenge, and perhaps more interesting for the UCL to have a potential match between PSG and Manchester City.

Manchester United isn't a bad team for sure but they have a subpar manager compared to Chelsea, City and Liverpool. Now with Ronaldo it feels they have better odds at winning the league, it would still be a challenge and don't have them as favorites but Ronaldo is going to add a lot in experience, mentality and leadership, not just goals.

gibers

It was his only choice. He would have gone to play with City's squad if City didn't turn him down :lol:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Oh it is for sure, but I think it was re-uniting with his mates Di Maria, Neymar and Ramos was the lure as well as infinite gold and a good shot at a CL that was his calling.
And nice fat pay rise too.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's mates with Ramos?

I mean - he has to be now, but before?

Anyway - I appreciate that Messi didn't really have a lot of realistic opportunities. But the fact is that Ronaldo going back to United is much more of a challenge - football wise.

At worst, Messi won't win the CL.

At worst, Ronaldo will be a complete flop and United end up some ways down the table.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
So wait

Messi went to PSG and Ligue 1 for a “challenge” but let’s be honest he wants to finally win CL again

Meanwhile Ronaldo at 37 goes to the EPL

Man…some people are just a different breed! What an animal this man is

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He's mates with Ramos?

I mean - he has to be now, but before?

Anyway - I appreciate that Messi didn't really have a lot of realistic opportunities. But the fact is that Ronaldo going back to United is much more of a challenge - football wise.

At worst, Messi won't win the CL.

At worst, Ronaldo will be a complete flop and United end up some ways down the table.
Joking. FYI I think Ronaldo would have joined PSG in a heartbeat if Messi wasn't there and they wanted him.

SportingCP96

Supports
You genuinely think City turned him down :lol:
City clearly wanted him and he was probably going to make the move.

However once United showed actually interest and he spoke to fergie and the boys his heart spoke louder.

No one would deny a 40 goal a season player.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
FYI I think Ronaldo would have joined PSG in a heartbeat if Messi wasn't there and they wanted him.
Yep - no doubt whatsoever.

(Those who thought he'd actually consider PSG with Messi there, however...well, there's no cure for them).

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I for one can wait for these two to meet again when City play PSG in the CL.

SportingCP96

Supports
If he somehow can win EPL with United and the CL which I highly doubt will happen as I don’t think United have enough….

He would become untouchable. Just imagine at 37 in the EPL bringing back the title after 8 years and another CL.

Done and dusted at this point.

gibers

You genuinely think City turned him down :lol:
Yes, it's been reported by every single news outlet :lol:

Pep did not want a 36 year old that could not press. Mendes literally offered him to City first 2 days ago because that is where he wanted to go. All these guys rewriting history already :lol: Ronaldo literally had 0 options bar us.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
City clearly wanted him and he was probably going to make the move.
I seriously have no idea - anything could be true here, it's silly season turned up to eleven.

But maybe Pep wasn't actually that keen on him - and made that clear to the owners.

Or - maybe Ronnie just wanted to come home (yeah, let's go with that tonight - feck it).

Based Adnan

Pep did not want a 36 year old that could not press. Mendes literally offered him to City first 2 days ago because that is where he wanted to go. All these guys rewriting history already :lol: Ronaldo literally had 0 options bar us.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
To be clear: Messi could have gone literally anywhere he wanted. He chose Paris. Yes, they made him the best offer of course, he made the sensible decisions which pretty much everyone would have made in his shoes. But he still made that choice

SportingCP96

Supports
To be clear: Messi could have gone literally anywhere he wanted. He chose Paris. Yes, they made him the best offer of course, he made the sensible decisions which pretty much everyone would have made in his shoes. But he still made that choice
Everyone knew he would not go to EPL it would look bad for him if he didn’t perform as he was expected too

Paris was the save and easy choice both financially and for his career

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

:lol: mate Ronaldo was texting Evra at 11am today saying he was joining united. It wasn’t reported that City had backed out until gone mid day. It is pretty obvious he snubbed city in favour of us (in fact Pep had an opportunity in his press conference today to say he wasn’t interested but said “in three or four days anything can happen. There are few players, Ronaldo included who decide where they are going to play. There are many things that are far away”.)

What’s more likely? City were in for him and wanted to sign him and suddenly decided “actually he doesn’t press Neh we’re okay” after making an offer, on the day he signed for united, or, Ronaldo chose United and City realised this and put a bit of damage control out there (which is well within their right, you’d expect nothing less).

But sure you believe what you want to believe.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Everyone knew he would not go to EPL it would look bad for him if he didn’t perform as he was expected too

Paris was the save and easy choice both financially and for his career
If City offered him a better deal he would have gone there. It was strictly about who offered the most money/years of contract

BerryBerryShrew

Define challenge? Especially in the context of assessing a player's greatness/ability?

If you're saying it is easier to win Ligue 1 with PSG than it is to win the Premiership with us, I would say that it is a bit of an understatement. But I'm genuinely not sure what that means in terms of who is better?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Define challenge? Especially in the context of assessing a player's greatness/ability?

If you're saying it is easier to win Ligue 1 with PSG than it is to win the Premiership with us, I would say that it is a bit of an understatement. But I'm genuinely not sure what that means in terms of who is better?
Ronaldo winning the PL with us >>>> Messi winning the ligue 1

kc7

less challenging than staying at Juve) United finished the PL 2nd last year..

BerryBerryShrew

If he somehow can win EPL with United and the CL which I highly doubt will happen as I don’t think United have enough….

He would become untouchable. Just imagine at 37 in the EPL bringing back the title after 8 years and another CL.

Done and dusted at this point.
Only if you correlate the ability of a single individual directly to the success of a squad of 30ish players.

If he plays badly and we win the CL, then he will have been a bad player for us. If he plays brilliantly and we don't win anything then he will have been a brilliant player for us.

This isn't difficult.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm no Ronaldo fanboy - very far from it.

But the idea that United simply made him a better offer in purely financial terms is ridiculous.

I have no doubt - whatsoever - that Ronaldo would've gone to City given the right circumstances. But this - clearly - was not a case of United just throwing more money his way than City were willing to.

Status
Not open for further replies.