Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mshafeek

So Messi is outstanding internationally and very good in the champions league... however his ligue 1 performances have been subpar... What do you reckon is going on? Is he trolling Ligue 1? Is he unmotivated to perform there? I know it probably has something to do with limited gametime(so far) but I like making connections
I take it you did not see the game against rennes ? He was good in that - created chances, hit the post from a fk etc. - certainly not unmotivated. Only a matter of time.

RooneyLegend

They are both great players, any attempt to separate them is generally quite painful (as this thread proves). It just boils down to personal preference, it will always be this way with players who take part in team sports.

In my day it was Maradona vs Pele, this current incarnation will continue to rage on with no end in sight.

Really to be a GOAT in a team sport you would need to be truly exceptional, I mean some people think that Michael Jordan isn't the greatest basketball player of all time and he was about as good as it gets in my eyes.

How many sports can you come up with that have a undisputed GOAT?

I will start...

Darts - Phil Taylor

Err...

Would seem I'm already stuck!
Bolt and Don Bradman

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Bolt and Don Bradman
There was another thread about this. I mentioned Bradman but others said no because there’s other parts of cricket besides batting. Also some people argued that Sachin was a better batsman.

With Bolt, that’s probably correct but I don’t think you can say for sure that he’s more iconic than a Jesse Owens for example.

Gonçalo Motta

Peak Messi overruns peak Ronaldo.

Peak Ronaldo was in his first years at Madrid, people is hyping last Ronaldo years in Spain because of the CL wins, but his peak was before he won the tri-Champions in a row.
There is a misconception that peak performances = trophies...so whenever a player win trophies they assume that he individually played better than when he didn't win anything.

Messi played Copa America 2021 as good as he did in Copas 2016-2019, but i saw some people assuming he played better in 2021 just because he won the trophy.

Same energy with Cr7 at Real Madrid, people understimate how good was Cr7 in his first years in Spain in terms of dribble,vision, and pace because he barely won any trophy and Real Madrid got outperformed by a monstrous Barcelona.
Peak Messi overuns peak Ronaldo based on what ? There's nothing to suggest that's true although you can argue that peak Messi was the better player, there's nothing to suggest he "overruns" peak Ronaldo.
Barcelona at that time was considered to be one of the best teams ever if not the best team ever. Of course Messi was one of the reasons why they were so dominant but even without him they would still be the main contenders for the titles.

For the 9 years they played in the same league / competitions (RM Ronaldo vs Barca Messi), their contribution was pretty much the same.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Peak Messi overuns peak Ronaldo based on what ? There's nothing to suggest that's true although you can argue that peak Messi was the better player, there's nothing to suggest he "overruns" peak Ronaldo.
Barcelona at that time was considered to be one of the best teams ever if not the best team ever. Of course Messi was one of the reasons why they were so dominant but even without him they would still be the main contenders for the titles.

For the 9 years they played in the same league / competitions (RM Ronaldo vs Barca Messi), their contribution was pretty much the same.
2012 Messi far exceeds any Ronaldo year,
Come on now

https://www.messivsronaldo.app/club-stats/messi-vs-ronaldo-in-spain/

kthanksbye

This guy is never going to stop scoring goals, absolute freak of nature. It's crazy to think that he's not even the best player of his generation.

Pocho

Hattrick ( Two pens and a goal at 87´ against Luxemburg) funny how some people here called Messi a stat padder. Is good to score and it isn´t Cristiano´s fault that Luxemburg is a weak side. But please stop calling names.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
Ronaldo has scored more goals in 3 minutes for Portugal than Messi has scored for PSG all season.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Ronaldo has scored more goals in 3 minutes for Portugal than Messi has scored for PSG all season.
and Messi has scored against city while Ronaldo has failed to score against any genuinely good team this season racking up penalties against the Luxembourg’s of the world

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
But he is the greater goalscorer.
Somewhat up for debate. They been pretty equal on this. I dont doubt Ronaldos freakish longevity will have him finish with more though.

Pickle85

I have to say I was expecting Messi to absolutely tear it up in that league from the off but he's pulled up no trees yet. Given how long he's been a one man club - and had that club built around him - it was always going to be a substantial adjustment for him I guess. By the end of the season I've no doubt he'll be dominating but I have to say I'd have expected more from him so far.

Pocho

I have to say I was expecting Messi to absolutely tear it up in that league from the off but he's pulled up no trees yet. Given how long he's been a one man club - and had that club built around him - it was always going to be a substantial adjustment for him I guess. By the end of the season I've no doubt he'll be dominating but I have to say I'd have expected more from him so far.
Remember he didn´t have a proper preseason, but he is fine, his match against Uruguay was vintage Messi, he´ll be ok

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
There are players who did well at big leagues, and then failed in a lower league for xyz reasons.

E.g Kanté in Ligue1 never looked as good as he looks in EPL, and hardly anyone would say it's because Ligue 1 is superior to EPL.

Pickle85

There are players who did well at big leagues, and then failed in a lower league for xyz reasons.

E.g Kanté in Ligue1 never looked as good as he looks in EPL, and hardly anyone would say it's because Ligue 1 is superior to EPL.
Agreed...I guess it's more about fit to team. They've not had time to build around Messi like Barca did yet.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
and Messi has scored against city while Ronaldo has failed to score against any genuinely good team this season racking up penalties against the Luxembourg’s of the world
You might be making a valid point but the fact that you support Barcelona discredits your take on this matter. Ronaldo hasn't only scored against Luxembourg's but let's just leave it like that for now. I'll circle back around at the end of the season and we'll see where he's at.

Rojow

We should make a pool in this same thread and ask the age of some posters. They talk like they are 80 year old men about some old players comparing them with current ones.

When they will give Messi his 7th Ballon d'Or? LM7 incoming.

Oranges038

and poor old Messi has been outscored in the farmers league by Herrera, Gueye and Hakimi at his new club.

Meanwhile, there's no prizes for guessing who is the top scorer at Ronaldo's new club.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
We should make a pool in this same thread and ask the age of some posters. They talk like they are 80 year old men about some old players comparing them with current ones.

When they will give Messi his 7th Ballon d'Or? LM7 incoming.
Every player since about 1960 (and in some cases even before) has been recorded on film and since the internet came along, much of that film is available at the touch of a button. It’s not that complicated.

Gehrman

Without a hint of a doubt.
I don't know at the moment yeah. But Ronaldo only has about 37 more goals than Messi but like 100 more game played. Of course Ronaldo isn't going to retire soon and Messi has drifted more into a playmaker as he got older, so Ronaldo will probably retire with most goals scored. I think it's his CL record which will be his greatest legacy when he retires when it comes to goals.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You might be making a valid point but the fact that you support Barcelona discredits your take on this matter. Ronaldo hasn't only scored against Luxembourg's but let's just leave it like that for now. I'll circle back around at the end of the season and we'll see where he's at.
bs. Can we also discredit all united fans commenting then? It’s early days in the season for both players, I’d say Messi’s first half performance against Rennes was better than any club performance in a half Ronaldo has had since the new season started but overall Ronaldo has had the better start to his season than Messi has had.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
and poor old Messi has been outscored in the farmers league by Herrera, Gueye and Hakimi at his new club.

Meanwhile, there's no prizes for guessing who is the top scorer at Ronaldo's new club.
and yet Messi scored against one of the best clubs in the world while Ronaldo has scored against the 11th best team in Spain and 9th best team in the epl.

Oranges038

and yet Messi scored against one of the best clubs in the world while Ronaldo has scored against the 11th best team in Spain and 9th best team in the epl.
and yet Messi couldn't score against teams much worse than those in the farmers league..

Gehrman

Who cares, I’d rather score against the elite teams than the farmers.
It's kind of stupid argument. No doubt scoring a stellar goal against Man City is nice, but Messi simply hasn't hit the ground running. I don't doubt he'll end the season with a nice amount of goals though.

cyberman

I don't know at the moment yeah. But Ronaldo only has about 37 more goals than Messi but like 100 more game played. Of course Ronaldo isn't going to retire soon and Messi has drifted more into a playmaker as he got older, so Ronaldo will probably retire with most goals scored. I think it's his CL record which will be his greatest legacy when he retires when it comes to goals.
No probably about it. He celebrated his 700th goal in 2019. That means he has scored 100 goals between the ages 34-36 in elite competition. That is a world class level.
He has adapted to old age so well that I can’t see what attribute he loses that means he drops off a goal scoring cliff. maybe the sudden burst of pace over the first few yards but do you really lose all that much of that when approaching 40?

Gehrman

No probably about it. He celebrated his 700th goal in 2019. That means he has scored 100 goals between the ages 34-36 in elite competition. That is a world class level.
He has adapted to old age so well that I can’t see what attribute he loses that means he drops off a goal scoring cliff. maybe the sudden burst of pace over the first few yards but do you really lose all that much of that when approaching 40?
Yeah Ronaldo will probably keep going untill he knows he can never be caught in the absence of injuries. I still don't think over the course of their career so far Ronaldo has been a greater goal scorer. It's mostly been fairly equal.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Not much chance of that in France and then why move to France if Messi felt that way?
Get ready to celebrate a 6 goal season then so
because at this stage CL is all that matters and the NT. Ronaldo didn’t go to Juventus to win serie a with a club that won it 8 straight times. It’s all about cl or bust

cyberman

Yeah Ronaldo will probably keep going untill he knows he can never be caught in the absence of injuries. I still don't think over the course of their career so far Ronaldo has been a greater goal scorer. It's mostly been fairly equal.
But I’d argue Ronaldo started later down that path. Up until he was 23 he wasn’t a great goal scorer nor tried to be. That’s what makes his record so incredible. I’m not even downplaying Messi, to score so many goals without the ability to consistently win headers and play deeper than other players is beyond a joke as well

cyberman

because at this stage CL is all that matters and the NT. Ronaldo didn’t go to Juventus to win serie a with a club that won it 8 straight times. It’s all about cl or bust
I’m glad you don’t rate goals v lower sides and hype up goals v English sides. How you can make that argument when Ronaldo literally has more CL goals this season than Messi is hilarious by the way. Ronaldo has more than a goal a game over the last 40 Portugal matches as well
Just keep that in mind as the season progresses

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I’m glad you don’t rate goals v lower sides and hype up goals v English sides. How you can make that argument when Ronaldo literally has more CL goals this season than Messi is hilarious by the way. Ronaldo has more than a goal a game over the last 40 Portugal matches as well
Just keep that in mind as the season progresses
and done it against mostly poor competition. Remove penalties and you’ll get a much better picture when seeing Ronaldo goals against quality of opponent.
Ronaldo fans always bring up Ronaldo doing it against the biggest teams but when he does it against cupcake teams like Luxembourg people fall besides themselves.

and scoring against city is easily a much better team than any team Ronaldo has scored against this season. He’ll obviously have more opportunity since he’s in epl but the the fact that Messi has more
Goals against top 6 in England than Ronaldo has despite never playing in the epl career wise speaks volumes (career wise, not just this season mind you)

Status
Not open for further replies.