• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Hey Joe is one of his most popular songs and it is a cover. Alongside watchtower. He may have written a majority of us songs but 2 of his 3 most well know songs are covers.

sticky fingers, let it bleed and exile on Main Street surpass are you experienced
Again not true. Those songs were popular but he had many others (not just 3 as you bizarrely state): Mary, Purple Haze, Voodoo Chile, Little Wing, Bold as Love etc.

Also, I don’t believe those albums do surpass Experienced, especially as they were all released in the 70s (or very late 60s in the case of LIB). Hendrix was way ahead of the Stones creatively in the 60s. Put his 3 albums up against the Stones’s first 3 self-penned works, it’s no contest. And before those first works they had like five albums of covers in the sixties (ironically, considering your comments about covers).

Also, as I’ve said before, Richards wrote with Jagger. That is important when comparing Richards and Hendrix as songwriters.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I honestly thought nothing could be more dull than grown adults arguing Messi Ronaldo, but then the thread became Hendrix vs Richards and I realised I was wrong

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I honestly thought nothing could be more dull than grown adults arguing Messi Ronaldo, but then the thread became Hendrix vs Richards and I realised I was wrong
As a Swansea fan, you’re well aware that there are more dull things than either of the two you outlined :D

Paula

Supports
Bayern
yes but as a whole la liga >>>> bundesliga
no one was aruging that la liga is worse, but so much bitter right now? nahh.

you can see it quite easy in the CL right now :D
Bayern > Barcelona
Real > Dormund
Atletico = Dortmund
Wolfsburg = Sevilla

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
no one was aruging that la liga is worse, but so much bitter right now? nahh.

you can see it quite easy in the CL right now :D
Bayern > Barcelona
Real < Dormund
Atletico = Dortmund
Wolfsburg = Sevilla
Dortmund aren’t better than Madrid

Cal?

CR7 fan
Fine, but your impression is wrong.
It's always the Messi fans who favor the intangible but not the tangible.
He came to Real Madrid when he was 27. Before that he was a champion with Argentina, a champion in Colombia and part of one of the greatest River Plate sides of all time. But of course if you think in a totally Eurocentric way like you do then nothing that happens outside of Europe actually matters.
How is it disputable that he's best known for his time at Real Madrid? 8 La Ligas and 5 ECs?

There was no Copa Lib back in the 50s so his time at your so called "one of the greatest RP sides of all time" shows a grand 2 league titles.
And you still couldn’t answer my question. I answered yours.
What question? :confused:
What has that got to do with Ronaldo’s massive total of 3 goals in Euro 2016?
I orginally said: "Scoring a whole bunch in a useless group stage, stuff that legends are made of."

To which you replied Ronaldo scored 3 international knockout goals, I was pointing out that the Copa group stage this year was what I was getting at.
Short succint answer won't cut it when you're cleary wrong. Which of the following do you disagree with? (In terms of their most well-known trait, of course scorers can dribble and dribblers can score)

World record transfers last 30 years
1992 Jean-Pierre Papin scorer
1992 Gianluca Vialli scorer
1992 Gianluigi Lentini dribbler
1996 Ronaldo scorer
1996 Alan Shearer scorer
1997 Ronaldo scorer
1998 Denílson dribbler
1999 Christian Vieri scorer
2000 Hernán Crespo scorer
2000 Luís Figo dribbler
2001 Zinedine Zidane something else
2009 Kaká both
2009 Cristiano Ronaldo both (at the time)
2013 Gareth Bale dribbler
2016 Paul Pogba something else
2017 Neymar scorer

I make that 8-4 in favor of scorers, even gave you Bale who's not much of a dribbler more a speed merchant.

Even if you want to count Neymar as both, that'd still be 7-4

Nope. Just because I think Messi is a better player, that doesn’t make me part of any brigade. You have ‘CR fan’ in your bio, that makes you defensive when it come to differing opinions. Everything’s a ‘brigade’ against you.

This is funny. If a team loses by a big score that’s the fault of one attacking player is it? If so, wish I knew what Ronaldo was doing when United got spanked 5-0 the other day. Or when Madrid got beaten 5-0 at the Nou Camp. Or 6-2 at the Bernabeu…..
Perhaps not sulk and try to score a goal?
I really don’t think you have, otherwise you wouldn’t make the statements you are making. And what about the 800 competitive games he played in the strongest footballing nation in the world at that time? Please research his career properly so you don’t make inaccurate statements
Despite playing for the dominant club side in Brazil, his Copa Lib record is pretty poor.

Also, based on the Toyota Cup between EC and Copa Lib champions in the 60-70s, record between Europe and S America was pretty even, how do you justify them being the "strongest footballing nation in the world"?

KeanoMagicHat

Hattricks
Ronaldo - 58
Messi - 55
What a great post you did, although I don't see why "hat-tricks" is considered a key category for any player, if player A hypothetically scored 2 goals in 30 games in a row without scoring a hat-trick and player B scored 10 hat-tricks but didn't score in any other game, Player A would have scored twice as many goals, but be trailing that stat 10-0. How many goals total matters, but whether you score 2 in one game and 4 in the next vs two hat-tricks really means nothing.

Cal?

CR7 fan
And Cristiano has stat-padded goals against San Marino, Luxembourg,Feroe Islands,Latvia,Lithuania,Andorra,etc in Euro WC qualifyings...half his goals at international level are against those sides.

There isn't a team in Conmebol as bad as Andorra and San Marino, which aren't fully professional btw.
Bolivia is the worst on Conmebol, but at least they are 100% profesional.
Andorra, Gibraltar, and San Marino don't even have 100% profesional squad.
Firstly, Ronaldo has never played against Gilbraltar or San Marino

Secondly, Messi has played a bunch of friendlies against the likes of Guatamala, Nicaragua, Haiti from Concacaf

KeanoMagicHat

Messi is the better player, which means he should be ashamed that Ronaldo has a comparable, even in some ways better, trophy haul.
What? Ashamed to have had one of the biggest trophy hauls in history? 10 La Ligas, 4 Champions Leagues, 7 Spanish Cups, Copa America, Olympic Gold. He has more major trophies than almost any player in history.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Messi is the better player, which means he should be ashamed that Ronaldo has a comparable, even in some ways better, trophy haul.
Ronaldo has had way better managers and has to be fair also played in some very good teams.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
It's always the Messi fans who favor the intangible but not the tangible.
Meaningless nonsense statement

How is it disputable that he's best known for his time at Real Madrid? 8 La Ligas and 5 ECs?

There was no Copa Lib back in the 50s so his time at your so called "one of the greatest RP sides of all time" shows a grand 2 league titles.
See this is what happens when you just look things up on the internet as your sole source of knowledge. There is a book about DiStefano by Ian Hawkey, you should read it. You might then have a better idea about his fame and exploits before he came to Europe. Not saying that they supplant his Madrid achievements but he was a massive figure in the game long before that.

What question? :confused:
Go back through the posts

I orginally said: "Scoring a whole bunch in a useless group stage, stuff that legends are made of."
That wasn’t the genesis, go back and look

To which you replied Ronaldo scored 3 international knockout goals, I was pointing out that the Copa group stage this year was what I was getting at.
See above

Short succint answer won't cut it when you're cleary wrong. Which of the following do you disagree with? (In terms of their most well-known trait, of course scorers can dribble and dribblers can score)
First of all, why just 30 years? Were there no record transfers before then? Now let’s go through your list:

1996 Ronaldo scorer (false, also dribbler)
1996 Alan Shearer scorer
1997 Ronaldo scorer (see above)
1998 Denílson dribbler
2000 Luís Figo dribbler
2001 Zinedine Zidane something else (more of a dribbler than a scorer though)
2009 Kaká both
2013 Gareth Bale dribbler (also scorer)
2017 Neymar scorer (one of the most prolific dribblers of the modern era)

I make that 8-4 in favor of scorers, even gave you Bale who's not much of a dribbler more a speed merchant.
Wrong

Even if you want to count Neymar as both, that'd still be 7-4
Still wrong

Perhaps not sulk and try to score a goal?
Right, cos Ronaldo never sulks. Stop this nonsense please

Despite playing for the dominant club side in Brazil, his Copa Lib record is pretty poor.
Again, you need to research properly or you come out with stuff like this. Pele only played in 3 editions of the Copa Libertadores of which Santos won two.

Also, based on the Toyota Cup between EC and Copa Lib champions in the 60-70s, record between Europe and S America was pretty even, how do you justify them being the "strongest footballing nation in the world"?
Based on the success of the national team and the success of Brazilian clubs in international competition, not to mention the size of a football mad country at a time when they retained all their best players.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I'm still a newbie and on a 3 post daily, so don't expect reply, but:

Let's bust some myths:

You cannot compare a complete inferior Copa to the Euro, you just can't. You got no qualifications, most teams are an absolutely joke, you had a ridiculous group of 5, where 4 teams goes forward, and your knockout phase start from 1/4.
How exactly you can compare this to the Euro, where you have super hard qualifiers, and the groups are pure nightmare with 1 bad result and you may be out of the tournament ???? No comparison at all. On top of that how can you comparison a strict rule 4 year tournament, to 1-2-3 years Copa ?
2015 Copa, 2016 Copa, 2019 Copa, 2021 Copa, wth is this ? Of course he is going to win it at some point, this tournament is a joke. How can you compare the 2, when obviously one will have a lot more tournament because how often the tournament is being held ? But it's easy to be bias, right ?

As far as the Portugal Euro title, people should stop talk nonsenses. Euro is not like 3 matches with just 1 good opponent and that's it. There is things like qualification, that are not easy. If Ronaldo wasn't scoring all that years in this qualifications, most of the time Portugal wound't have end up at the biggest tournaments.
And Portugal was out of the tournament in the group stage against Hungary, if it wasn't for Ronaldo. At 1-0 for Hungary Ronaldo made perfect assists for Nani. At 2-1 for Hungary, Ronaldo equalize with a brace, and at 3-2, Ronaldo equalize again and qualify Portugal for the knockout stage.
A Euro is not just 1 match, unlike Copa, where you have totally inferior teams, and you have one of the worst Brazil in the history.
But i digress. Let me back at the Euro.
Next match, against very tough Croatia. Extra Time, 116 minute, against Ronaldo at perfect position and manage to get out of the defeners, shot towards the net, and the goalkeeper dive the ball, but it goes towards the net, and Quaresma score it from the goal line, another super important assist from Ronaldo.
Next match against very tough team of Poland. Penalty. Of course Ronaldo score the penalty.
Next match against very solid and inform team of Wales(they beat Russia 3-0, and also knocked out Belgium with 3-1). Ronaldo open the score with a stunner header. And again Ronaldo shot towards the goal, and Nani intercepted and 2-0. Goal and assists.
But yeah some people loves to talk nonsenses how Ronaldo doesn't have merits because he get injured in the final. They also completely forget what he have done at the sideline in that final .....

Copa started being relevant because of Mesi, cause of his poor International record. It's a well known facts that the media is worshiping him. When he is playing terrible - nothing. When he totally missed the mark - nothing. Yet if Ronaldo doesn't score in 1 match, he is on every single tabloid, and they are explaining how the team will be better without him or so ....
Comparing Copa with the Euro is like comparing someone who have won Liga Europe with CL.
You can compare it to Nations League. And even Nations Leagues is stronger.
And some people say Ronaldo wasn't good at the Nations League when Portugal won it, seriously?
Ronaldo didn't played at the group stages at all. He played exactly 2 matches and he scored a hattrick in the 1/2 against Switzerland.

As far as the France - Brazil dilemma, only extremely bias Barcelona fan or Ronaldo hater can claim that Brazil in terms of team is above France in the recent times. France was the big favorite since 2016 both at Euro and in the WC. They can make like 2 insanely strong team.
The big favorite at Copa is Brazil and Argentina. Yeah obviously at some point you are going to win it ....

And how can a Barcelona fan can even claim anything about Ronaldo trophy list, when Ronaldo won 3 CL in a row ??? When exactly was last CL Messi have won ? And don't talk about result, when Barcelona is a boxing bag in the CL for like 6 years and they have written the most embarrassing page in their history with result like 8-2 to Bayern, and how both Roma and Liverpool destroyed him, after a huge first leg lead. Messi was invisible, as he always is, when the things are not going their way.
It's not a comparison who the more clutch player is.

You can have your opinion, as much as you like i don't mind it.
And again:
Prime for prime, the only thing Messi had over Ronaldo was his dribble, and that's it. Ronaldo was obviously a better header player, more stronger physically, faster on both accelerating and top speed, better with the weak foot(if we call them equal with the strong one), best positioning in probably the whole history, a true leader and way more clutch, and he was also an absolutely monster 1 on 1, as people looking him currently loves to forget that. But they both were great in beating players 1on1.
P.P. One guy mention the Free Kick. Ronaldo free kick have gotten worst after he was out of his prime, and Messi managed to equalize him on that. But the Free Kicks are pretty even still 58 - 57, but in CL at the big matches it's 12-5 in favor of Ronaldo. And also 10-8 in International for Ronaldo.
And bringing this, let's bring the penalty, when Ronaldo is miles ahead of Messi.
And close control is in the department of dribbling, as i already give that to Messi. There is a thing called Ball control, but you can't make a case for either one being better. As far as the passes goes on, yeah Messi is clearly better, but Ronaldo is clearly better in the crossing in his prime. You can educated yourself as watching some of his time at US before moving to RM.

And the longevity is one of the key factor as who the greatest is in any given sport. At the end not a gifted Ballon d'Or will be the factor, but who scored more, and i can bet with anyone that this will be Ronaldo.
He is the Number 1 International goal scorer, a record every striker will wanna chase. He is the number 1 CL goal scorer, a record the best players will try to chase. He also hold the first 3 spot for most CL goals in 1 season, 17, 16 and 15. In terms of Knockout Stage phase, Ronaldo is miles ahead as well.
And he will for sure finish with more scored goals overall.
Also Ronaldo and Real was the first team to win 2 consecutive CL, damn they totally break the game and win it 3 times straight, and 4 time in 5 years time. And for that 4 CL titles - it was all Ronaldo, in that 4 years he scored 60 CL goals. I guess everyone can math, but this is 15 per season. What is the highest number Messi scored in CL? Yeah he never reached that numbers. Neither anyone.

And when people will stop spread false narratives about his Juve time?
A few facts, not biased fanboys false narratives:

Fastest player in the whole Serie A history to score 50 goal.
Most goals in a single season for Juventus in their history - 37 goals.
Most Serie A goals in a season for Juventus in their history - 31 goals.
Fastest to 100 goals not only in Juventus history, but also in Serie A history.
Also equal record for most consecutive Serie A goals - 11 straight matches, scoring 16 goals.
And all this way past his prime - yeah Goat status right here!

I don't see how exactly it was Ronaldo fault, that Juventus team was old and washed, and they didn't buy anyone decent with him, and rely exclusively on him. And how exactly anyone expect him to win anything with an average players and a coaches like Pirlo and Maurizio Sarri ?
Just look at their GK - Szczesny, a guy that get kicked off from not who, but Arsenal. And they have a history with terrible GK. That guy is making crucial errors constantly. Yeah they strengthen their squad greatly with a below average players like Ramsey and so. :D They don't have a single good midfielder. And they are still relying on Alex Sandro who have been finished since like forever, and not who, but Juan Cuadrado. Their wingers were crap. And the didn't even used him the right way, neither played him in his/the right position.

But Messi fans shouldn't have the nerve to talk about results, cause everyone remember 4-1 from PSG, from 4-1, to 3-0 to Roma, from 3-0, to 4-0 to Liverpool, and the destructive 8-2 to Bayern Munich and so on.

At Juventus i remember his first season, Atletico destroyed them 2-0, and a Atletico - Ronaldo 0-3 in the rematch.
That's sums it up, who shows up when the match aren't going their way.

Yeah everyone is a fan and can have his opinion, as i have mine, and i don't like when someone is trying to twist the true and facts, and using false narratives. I don't mind people that think or prefer Messi i got no problem with it. What i got problem though is with someone trying to spread his opinion without any arguments/facts as the majority and try to make someone else mind, when obviously the other guy have totally different view.

This is from me on this thread, cause i already stated my opinion, and i don't think anyone should try to force his opinion, as everyone have his, and making 10 million forced replies aren't helping.
For me personal the debate was gone the moment Messi choose the easy path in France - PSG. It was well known fact that Guardiola wanted him badly and they were ready to pay him huge salary and he would have been in the strongest team in the England, but he obviously was too scared to come to the best league in the world.
Because La Liga teams with the exception of AM, are wide open, and scoring goals there is child play, unlike in the PL.
Also the facts that everyone is defending him, when he is in the easiest League and saying he needs time, but yet Ronaldo almost at 37 is getting slammed constantly, just because he ain't scored in 1 match, and he scored 9 goals in 11 matches. But yeah it's not like Ronaldo wasn't away for the like last 10 years, he doesn't need time/adaptation.

And as far as our placing, and that we finish second last year. Barca fans should know better. We pretty much was never in the battle for the title. And that second place was behind Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham was terrible, as well as Arsenal for awhile. Also we got quite a lot of gift VAR decision, and have tons of lucks, which sometimes you have, and other you don't. Last season we get plenty of penalty, some of which was far from real. And just like usually happen, this season they screwed us with 3 penalty that was 100% clear already.
Also just because you finish at x place at certain season, doesn't mean you will finish in the same place or higher in the next. Chelsea won the league with Mourinho, and then finished 10th, even when they didn't sell major players. We won the league back in the time, and then finished 7th.
Whatever place we are going to finish, won't be because of Ronaldo.

P.P.
Hoof The Ball your stats couldn't be more wrong. When pasting data, make sure you check it first or don't lie with it:

This is 100% recent and 100% accurate stats:
UCL knockout stage:
Messi 49 goals/12 assists, 73 apps - 129 mins per goal, 104 mins per goal contribution
Ronaldo 67 goals/15 assists, 83 apps - 110 mins per goal, 90 mins per goal contribution

UCL semi-finals
Messi 6 goals/3assists, 15 apps - 220 mins per goal, 147 mins per goal contribution
Ronaldo 13 goals/2 assists, 21 apps - 146mins per goal, 127 mins per goal contribution

UCL finals
Messi 3 apps - 2 goals - 125 mins per goal, 135 mins per goal contribution
Ronaldo 6 apps - 4 goals/1assists 158 mins per goal, 126 mins per goal contribution

I don't even need to check the other stats to look at the bias, like forgetting to put the aerial duels, penalty and so.
And since Ronaldo moved to Madrid, in all Competitions, he was scoring a goal every 84 minute. In that period Messi stats is worst - 85 minute.
And Messi have a jump start, cause he was settle down and have a way better team, while Real was building. And still Ronaldo is in front, that must be hard to accept.

And every other comparison when they are not in the same league are irrelevant. PL, and Serie A way better defensive and tactical team, and PL way better teams overall.
Conmebol only has 10 teams, How are they supposed to play qualifiers? You serious?

And BTW that "though" polish side(which Portugal beat on penalties in 2016) got destroyed at WC 2018 by Colombia, and Euro champions Portugal couldn't beat Chile at Confederations Cup 2017 and lost to Uruguay at WC 2018, with Ronaldo being shit in both games.

The only strong side Portugal faced before the final was Croatia.
Just because Portugal struggles to beat minor teams doesn't mean that these teams are somehow great, they almost get knocked out in WC 2018 group by Iran...one good header away from getting eliminated in group stage like in 2014.

And the fact that France lost a final at home against a Cristiano-less Portugal makes France look worse, not better.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

Conmebol only has 10 teams, How are they supposed to play qualifiers? You serious?

And BTW that "though" polish side(which Portugal beat on penalties in 2016) got destroyed at WC 2018 by Colombia, and Euro champions Portugal couldn't beat Chile at Confederations Cup 2017 and lost to Uruguay at WC 2018, with Ronaldo being shit in both games.

The only good side Portugal faced before the final was Croatia.
Just because Portugal struggles to beat minor teams doesn't mean that these teams are somehow great, they almost get knocked out in 2018 by Iran...one good header away to be eliminated in group stage like in 2014.

And the fact that France lost a final at home against a Cristiano-less Portugal makes France look worse, not better.
Yeah he shouldn't be talking about how hard it was for Portugal in 2016 in a 24-team European Championships, where they progressed from their group third out of 4 teams after 3 draws against Hungary, Iceland and Austria.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I would always say Messi in these debates and I still think it's true when you focus on their peak. Ronaldo's longevity is just something else. He wins it for me now. What's it been? 17 seasons? My man.

Gehrman

The only strong side Portugal faced before the final was Croatia.
Just because Portugal struggles to beat minor teams doesn't mean that these teams are somehow great, they almost get knocked out in WC 2018 group by Iran...one good header away from getting eliminated in group stage like in 2014.

France were dominating that game and portugal got the jammiest win ever. It's the kind thing that sometimes happens in finals.

Lecland07

I dunno why the metric should start from 2006/2007 onwards. Because Ronnie didn't become a great goalscorer before then?
That is when both of them started kicking on. It actually happened in the same season.

Ronaldo scored 9 in the season before and Messi scored 6.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
What? Ashamed to have had one of the biggest trophy hauls in history? 10 La Ligas, 4 Champions Leagues, 7 Spanish Cups, Copa America, Olympic Gold. He has more major trophies than almost any player in history.
Yeah it was a pretty stupid statement. Not to mention that trophies are in fact won by teams.

Gehrman

That is when both of them started kicking on. It actually happened in the same season.

Ronaldo scored 9 in the season before and Messi scored 6.
Messi was 19 and Ronaldo was 21. Ronaldo had almost 140 games in the first team before the 2006/2007 season.

Gehrman

Yeah it was a pretty stupid statement. Not to mention that trophies are in fact won by teams.
At club level Scholes>>>>>>Zidane

Cause he has way more club trophies.

Or Iniesta>>>>>>>>>>>Zidane

Way more club trophies and has a better international trophy haul as well.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
France were dominating that game and portugal got the jammiest win ever. It's the kind thing that sometimes happens in finals.
Indeed, you have to be very unlucky to hit the post in the last minute...in a final, still i believe they weren't offensive enough despite the domination in 90 minutes.

Huge upset nonetheless.

Kinda like Portugal losing to Greece at home having Deco, Maniche,Figo,Ronaldo, Carvahlo,Rui Costa, and Pauleta...Figo alone had the market value of the entire greek starting XI...i still can't believe they lost that final.
I remember also how lucky was Greece against Cezch Republic in the semis, the czech were very wasteful, and missed some great sitters.

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Indeed, you have to be very unlucky to hit the post in the last minute...in a final, still i believe they weren't offensive enough despite the domination in 90 minutes.

Kinda like Portugal losing to Greece at home having Deco, Maniche,Figo,Ronaldo, Carvahlo,Rui Costa, and Pauleta...Figo alone had the market value of the entire greek starting XI...i still can't believe they lost that.
I remember also how lucky was Greece against Cezch Republic in the semis, the czech missed some sitters that match.
There are a lot of similarities between Greece’s win in 2004 and Portugal’s in 2016. One difference though is that Greece beat better teams on their way to fluking the tournament :D

Lecland07

Messi was 19 and Ronaldo was 21. Ronaldo had almost 140 games in the first team before the 2006/2007 season.
Yes, but it was to compare their peaks. In the end, it ran concurrently. They were still at their peaks for about the same period of time, so age doesn't really matter.

Messi may have reached his peak at a younger age, but it looks like he is running out of steam at an earlier age than Ronaldo, also.

In then end, both of them proved their longevity by being the undisputed best players in the world for about 10 to 12 seasons.

Gehrman

There are a lot of similarities between Greece’s win in 2004 and Portugal’s in 2016. One difference though is that Greece beat better teams on their way to fluking the tournament :D
Denmark as well.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
The Euros is generally a tournament that can be fluked by a weakish team. The World Cup is not like that.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Denmark as well.
Denmark played good offensive football, i don't think they even scored an ugly goal in that Euro...very impressive considering Michael Laudrup wasn't there cause he was vacationing in Spain.
Very deserving trophy.

Unlike Greece who got completely dominated by almost every team they faced and got lucky with the opposition missing goals, that was very flukey.
Portugal only got dominated in the Final against France, but considering the teams they faced before the final (bar Croatia), it's not surprising they weren't dominated.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
In the copa final they started with the likes of Fred,Richarlison,Paqueta,lodi,everton etc those guys wouldnt even make a 24 man squad in any of the top european teams.
Aye the likes of Simon, Eric Garcia, Dani Olmo, Olyarzabal, Di Lorenzo, Insigne, Emerson, Phillips, Saka, Doku, Witsel, Vermaelen, Thorgan Hazard, Meunier, Pavard, Lenglet, Kimpembe, Werner, Ginter etc who all started in the knockouts at the Euros are all top world class players superior to those 6 you mentioned.

Deary me.

Yeah he shouldn't be talking about how hard it was for Portugal in 2016 in a 24-team European Championships, where they progressed from their group third out of 4 teams after 3 draws against Hungary, Iceland and Austria.
Hilarious reading someone attempt to slate one competition's format when Portugal benefitted from exactly what you said.

But aye Portugal winning ONE game in 90 minutes at Euro 2016 was an exceptional historic underdog best achievement ever.. whilst Argentina winning Copa America was odds of 1/1000 obviously!

KeanoMagicHat

And also I don't get that argument especially as Messi and Ronaldo played against each other head to head in the same league at the same at similar age (a rarity for two GOAT candidates) and Messi won 6 La Ligas to 2 La Ligas for Ronaldo when in direct competition at their peaks.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We told you back then who could and could not play under a manager like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer :drool:

Any place, any time, any league, any bloody Universe.

Some people just fall in love with the technique of football but the technique of football can be heavily reliant on where you play, who you play for, the players you play with, the players you play against;

Hell even the bloody temperature of your environment :lol:

But my god some of us knew that the GOAT, the GOD requires Mentality.

:drool:

Gehrman

And also I don't get that argument especially as Messi and Ronaldo played against each other head to head in the same league at the same at similar age (a rarity for two GOAT candidates) and Messi won 6 La Ligas to 2 La Ligas for Ronaldo when in direct competition at their peaks.
Also messi won 6 la liga player of the year awards, Ronaldo won 1.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
We told you back then who could and could not play under a manager like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer :drool:

Some people just fall in love with the technique of football but the technique of football can be heavily reliant on where you play, who you play for, the players you play with, the players you play against;

Hell even the bloody temperature of your environment :lol:

But my god some of us knew that the GOAT, the GOD requires Mentality.

:drool:
Um, haven’t you been slagging him off in other threads on this forum?! :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Meaningless nonsense statement

See this is what happens when you just look things up on the internet as your sole source of knowledge. There is a book about DiStefano by Ian Hawkey, you should read it. You might then have a better idea about his fame and exploits before he came to Europe. Not saying that they supplant his Madrid achievements but he was a massive figure in the game long before that.
Again going off on some random tangent, would anyone rate Di Stefano in the GOAT tier if he never had his Madrid stint, especially those 5 ECs?
Go back through the posts
I've no idea what you're talking about
That wasn’t the genesis, go back and look
See above
See above
See above
First of all, why just 30 years? Were there no record transfers before then? Now let’s go through your list:

1996 Ronaldo scorer (false, also dribbler)
1996 Alan Shearer scorer
1997 Ronaldo scorer (see above)
1998 Denílson dribbler
2000 Luís Figo dribbler
2001 Zinedine Zidane something else (more of a dribbler than a scorer though)
2009 Kaká both
2013 Gareth Bale dribbler (also scorer)
2017 Neymar scorer (one of the most prolific dribblers of the modern era)
Because that reflects modern football better? We could do 20, but that leaves only 5 players on the list.

Luiz Ronaldo was mainly known for his scoring exploits, I don't know how that is disputable. :rolleyes:

Even by your count, its 5-3 to the scorers :smirk:
Wrong

Still wrong
:houllier:
Right, cos Ronaldo never sulks. Stop this nonsense please
Messi does it far more often, almost annually in the CL in recent years.
Again, you need to research properly or you come out with stuff like this. Pele only played in 3 editions of the Copa Libertadores of which Santos won two.
They won in 62 & 63
In 64, Santos were beaten by Independiente.
In 65, Santos lost to Peñarol

Then they weren't even good enough to qualify for the Copa Lib for many years.
Based on the success of the national team and the success of Brazilian clubs in international competition, not to mention the size of a football mad country at a time when they retained all their best players.
What are you smoking? :lol: Brazilian clubs did not win another Copa Lib after 1963 until 1976!! It was utter Argentinian dominance. *I'm aware Brazil did not send teams 3 out of those 12 years, but in the other 9 years they had no success.

The quality of the club sides are best judged based on the quality of the club sides, no? :confused:

Brazil did have a high concentration of top players at that time, whereas they were more spread out in Europe, therefore Brazil being quite dominant in the WC in that era, but Brazilian (South American) clubs nowhere near as dominant in club competitions.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Again going off on some random tangent, would anyone rate Di Stefano in the GOAT tier if he never had his Madrid stint, especially those 5 ECs?
Just say you don’t know anything about his career and leave it at that.

I've no idea what you're talking about
I can’t help you to learn how to read

Because that reflects modern football better? We could do 20, but that leaves only 5 players on the list.
Why is only modern football relevant in the discussion of what’s deemed important amongst the football skills?

Luiz Ronaldo was mainly known for his scoring exploits, I don't know how that is disputable. :rolleyes:
Seriously, do you know anything?! He appears on every single one of these lists as one of the greatest dribblers of all time. On one of them he’s even number one :lol:
Try again.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/football/10-best-dribblers-all-time/2

https://sportmob.com/en/article/796539-The-Top-50-Best-Dribblers-of-All-Time?amp=1

https://syndication.bleacherreport....-dribblers-in-world-football-history.amp.html

http://bestfootballplayersever.com/top-10-best-football-dribblers-ever.php

https://7upsports.com/best-dribblers-all-time/

https://cheapgoals.com/10-of-the-greatest-football-dribblers-of-all-time/

Even by your count, its 5-3 to the scorers :smirk:
How exactly do you figure that?

Messi does it far more often, almost annually in the CL in recent years.
Just a silly comment really and beneath you.

They won in 62 & 63
In 64, Santos were beaten by Independiente.
In 65, Santos lost to Peñarol

Then they weren't even good enough to qualify for the Copa Lib for many years.
I think I’ll have to stop debating with you because you don’t actually know anything about anything.

Pelé played in just 3 editions of the Copa L. Scored 17 goals in 15 games. He won in 1962 & 1963 and in 1965 (he was injured in ‘64 and didn’t play) Santos lost in the semi but Pelé would still finish as top goalscorer. The Santos board thought it better commercially to tour the world rather than play in the Copa Libertadores. So they didn’t actually participate after ‘65.

What are you smoking? :lol: Brazilian clubs did not win another Copa Lib after 1963 until 1976!! It was utter Argentinian dominance. *I'm aware Brazil did not send teams 3 out of those 12 years, but in the other 9 years they had no success.

The quality of the club sides are best judged based on the quality of the club sides, no? :confused:

Brazil did have a high concentration of top players at that time, whereas they were more spread out in Europe, therefore Brazil being quite dominant in the WC in that era, but Brazilian (South American) clubs nowhere near as dominant in club competitions.
Dude, they won 3 out of four World Cups with squads made up entirely of home grown and home based players. What the hell are you smoking? And Santos were dominant across the globe, not just in SA. You just don’t know enough about this stuff, I’ll be perfectly honest with you.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Even though im a RM-fan, and im in some ways biased towards Ronaldo, its a real shame that Messi picked PSG, the only "real" matches they will have are CL-matches.

Would have been really interesting to see him in the PL, but it wasn't to be.

Red Stone

The fecking state of this thread when people can't even unanimously agree that Hendrix is better than Keef.

Status
Not open for further replies.