• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Ronnie's been on fire in the CL so far. It's an easy group though but its still impressive.
I would not call it easy when they have scraped through every single game to win. Maybe for other teams it would be easy but United are no bueno so it was not easy.

SportingCP96

Supports
No, I know he’s not the best because I understand football. It’s you that will have your eyes opened in time. One of the greatest goalscorers ever, nowhere near the greatest player ever. No shame in that.
Its ok to come out and admit it stop fighting it. Enjoy it while it lasts.

The most dominant champions league player to ever play the game its not close (not even a debate).

and arguably the greatest player ever (obviously their will always be debate their,

SportingCP96

Supports
Yes, because goals and assists are literally the only things you can do that are of any worth in a football match. This is the whole problem with modern Twitter thinking.
so what did Messi do when his teams choked and got ran through by Roma and Liverpool? I won't even mention Bayern 8-2 because that's fully on the whole team.

Find me a time where a Ronaldo team choked a 3-0 lead without him having something to say about it. Let alone two....in a row.....

Bing bong

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Messi has been strolling around in big CL games and having the midfield overrun behind him for years now.
He is still more often than not the best barca player on the pitch in those games. There is feck all a forward can do if the defense is ripped to shreds. Like we've seen recently with Liverpool and mighty watford. Or Leicester.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
so what did Messi do when his teams choked and got ran through by Roma and Liverpool? I won't even mention Bayern 8-2 because that's fully on the whole team.

Find me a time where a Ronaldo team choked a 3-0 lead without him having something to say about it. Let alone two....in a row.....

Bing bong
Ronaldo in recent years has been getting knocked out by teams far inferior to the teams who have knocked out Messi in fairness

SportingCP96

Supports
Ronaldo in recent years has been getting knocked out by teams far inferior to the teams who have knocked out Messi in fairness
You say that but in the grand scheme of things and just as Ajax are doing gain this year they were a better team then Juve that season. Just like they are better then a lot of the so called big teams this year.

Lyon game he literally scored 2 of the 3 goals they needed. His team failed him.

Porto they should have won so I agree with you,

Also worth noting Ronaldo has been coached by sari Pirlo and Ole. The last two which probably are not good enough to coach non league let alone teams like Juve and United.

His teams and coaches the last 4 years have been abysmal.

Gehrman

I kind of hate this narrative of 1 player vs a team. Sure every player has responsibility but blaming forwards for terrible defensive displays if a bit much.

Gehrman

You say that but in the grand scheme of things and just as Ajax are doing gain this year they were a better team then Juve that season. Just like they are better then a lot of the so called big teams this year.

Lyon game he literally scored 2 of the 3 goals they needed. His team failed him.

Also worth noting Ronaldo has been coached by sari Pirlo and Ole. The last two which probably are not good enough to coach non league let alone teams like Juve and United.

Barcelona and their coaches have been pretty mediocre as well for some years now.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

and Messi was coached by Setien and Koeman who were worse than Ronaldo’s managers post zidane.

And I do think Ronaldo is the greatest cl player ever, but he’s now coming to terms post zidane what Messi had been dealing with for much longer which is incompetent managers and horribly run clubs

Gehrman

So in case with Lyon when ronaldos team is knocked out his team failed him, but when Barcelona defense is steamrolled Messi failed the team.

Maybe @Bebestation has a point about Ronaldo and united being steamrolled by Liverpool and all the lesser teams.

SportingCP96

Supports
So in case with Lyon when ronaldos team is knocked out his team failed him, but when Barcelona defense is steamrolled Messi failed the team.

Maybe @Bebestation has a point about Ronaldo and united being steamrolled by Liverpool and all the lesser teams.
The difference is Ronaldo showed up...

Just like Atletico, when Juve was 2-0 Ronaldo only went ahead and scored 3 goals.

The same vs Wolfsburg down 2-0 he only went and scored 3 goals.

Vs Lyon down 2-0 with an away goal he went and scored 2/3 goals. He more then did his part.

Vs Ajax he scored both legs granted Ajax was a much better team then that Juve team.

Porto you could hold against him 100%.

However with Messi the Roma and Liverpool choke jobs was embarrassing for a player of his category and greatness.

To have the lead they had not once but twice and to not step up with a moment of magic and stop the roaring Roma and Liverpool is very clearly on him.

Messi hides under games like those and this is not a dig this has been known for years.

Ronaldo as we also know loves the spotlight and headlines. He steps up when his team needs him most. This CL campaign alone is proof alone.

Only one time I remember Ronaldo being in a similar situation and was vs Juve down 3-0 in Spain after leading 3-0. He then scored. 96th mint penalty which he had to edit 3-4 minutes to take.

The nerves and balls of steel to score a goal of that magnitude and importance is unreal. If he missed that Juve gets loads of momentum and the tide shifts.

You just know Messi would fold. He has done it before.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

Just like Atletico, when Juve was 2-0 Ronaldo only went ahead and scored 3 goals.

Vs Lyon down 2-0 with an away goal he went and scored 2/3 goals. He more then did his part.

Vs Ajax he scored both legs granted Ajax was a much better team then that Juve team.

However with Messi the Roma and Liverpool choke jobs was embarrassing for a player of his category and greatness.

To have the lead they had not once but twice and to not step up with a moment of magic and stop the roaring Roma and Liverpool is very clearly on him.

Messi hides under games like those and this is not a dig this has been known for years.

Ronaldo as we also know loves the spotlight and headlines. He steps up when his team needs him most. This CL campaign alone is proof alone.

Only one time I remember Ronaldo being in a similar situation and was vs Juve down 3-0 in Spain after leading 3-0. He then scored. 96th mint penalty which he had to edit 3-4 minutes to take.

The nerves and balls of steel to score a goal of that magnitude and importance is unreal. If he missed that Juve gets loads of momentum and the tide shifts.

All that and Messi still will have his 7th Balloon D'or...2 more than Cristiano, imagine if he had Cristiano's super strong mentality...he would have 10 at least.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Absolute rubbish. Messi was still the best player for Barca in that second leg and he scored 2/3 of their goals in that tie. If Ronaldo did that in a losing tie you would say he has MJ like mentality and that his team failed him.

rinaldo has been getting knocked out by far inferior teams, Lyon and Porto had zero business beating Juventus. Those were embarrassing too.

Ronaldo had Juve finish with their lowest trophy count in a decade and now United after finishing second in the league may have their lowest finish in several years as well.

genardk

Supports
Juventus

Ronaldo only won 2 La Liga titles and a single best player award in 9 years vs Messi's 6.
Ronaldo has zero MVP award in international tournaments vs Messi's 5 (World Cup, Olympics, Copa twice, U-20 World Cup) not to mention record number of Ballon D'ors, Pichichis, golden shoes, best playmaker awards etc..
Only Ronaldo fans equate a GOAT level playmaker and goal scorer with the greatest dribbling skills (along with Maradona, Garrincha) with a GOAT level penalty box striker. To be frank, Ronaldo can only dream of things Messi is capable of doing on the pitch other than scoring goals. Messi drops deeper to get the ball and run the game as he ages which is crazy..

Since, you are talking about big games, Messi scored 29 goals in 35 games vs big six in PL, 0.83 goals per game while Ronaldo 30 in 81 games, 0.27 goals per game. So, Messi scored almost the same number of goals playing 46 less games against big 6. Messi's El Classico performances against Real are also legendary..

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

Bing bong
Funny that you are naming teams that are actually good. Unlike Watford and Leicester.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Its ok to come out and admit it stop fighting it. Enjoy it while it lasts.

The most dominant champions league player to ever play the game its not close (not even a debate).

and arguably the greatest player ever (obviously their will always be debate their,
Not the greatest player ever to anyone who actually understands the game and is not Portuguese, a Madrid fan, a Juve fan or a Man United fan. The evidence is there in any GOAT list by any reputable commentator or organisation you can find.

Yes, because goals and assists are literally the only things you can do that are of any worth in a football match. This is the whole problem with modern Twitter thinking.
Ha ha.

Brings up goals and assists as proof he’s not doing well, gets shown Messi has similar issues when his side was losing (obviously), instantly slags off those using goals and assists :lol:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Ha ha.

Brings up goals and assists as proof he’s not doing well, gets shown Messi has similar issues when his side was losing (obviously), instantly slags off those using goals and assists :lol:
Ah it’s the ‘psychologist from the blackstuff’ again.

You may want to read back what I said about CR doing nothing when he doesn’t score. Obviously Messi has games where his team gets hammered and he doesn’t score or assist, same for anyone. Where have I said different? But he always tries to get on the ball and make things happen creatively. CR doesn’t do that to the same extent because of how he plays these days.

Gehrman

With a few expections I've always seen as the best team on day the wins. I mean I used to play football. If I was RB there was feck all I could do about the LB having a mare. If I was striker there was little I could do about the defense being overrun. The narrative of 1 player vs a team gets old.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
With a few expections I've always seen as the best team on day the wins. I mean I used to play football. If I was RB there was feck all I could do about the LB having a mare. If I was striker there was little I could do about the defense being overrun. The narrative of 1 player vs a team gets old.
Even maradonna’s teammates in the 86 World Cup were much better than people would like to admit

SportingCP96

Supports
All that and Messi still will have his 7th Balloon D'or...2 more than Cristiano, imagine if he had Cristiano's super strong mentality...he would have 10 at least.
Ahh yess and then we forget that in 2010 Sneijder should of won and in 18 Ronaldo should have but somehow modric does.

SportingCP96

Supports
Ronaldo only won 2 La Liga titles and a single best player award in 9 years vs Messi's 6.
Ronaldo has zero MVP award in international tournaments vs Messi's 5 (World Cup, Olympics, Copa twice, U-20 World Cup) not to mention record number of Ballon D'ors, Pichichis, golden shoes, best playmaker awards etc..
Only Ronaldo fans equate a GOAT level playmaker and goal scorer with the greatest dribbling skills (along with Maradona, Garrincha) with a GOAT level penalty box striker. To be frank, Ronaldo can only dream of things Messi is capable of doing on the pitch other than scoring goals. Messi drops deeper to get the ball and run the game as he ages which is crazy..

Since, you are talking about big games, Messi scored 29 goals in 35 games vs big six in PL, 0.83 goals per game while Ronaldo 30 in 81 games, 0.27 goals per game. So, Messi scored almost the same number of goals playing 46 less games against big 6. Messi's El Classico performances against Real are also legendary..
His record vs the big 6 is while he was in the greatest Barca team and possibly team of all time whose core also made Spain the most dominant national team in history without mess...who needed who more.

Messi record vs the big 6 in England would be nothing near that.

Look at Messi in PSG in a piss poor league while playing for a vastly superior team. He never left Barca for a reason.

You talk about playmaking but Ronaldo is the top assist maker in CL history.

you talk about international but what Ronaldo did with and for portal Messi would never. Had Ronaldo played with the player Messi did in Argentina he would have a World Cup by now.

You mentioning la Liga proves my point more. Messi played for the greatest team in the history of the sport. Meanwhile Ronaldo has the record for most consecutive Classico goals scored. Ronaldo reached his goal marks in Spain faster then Messi ever did.

Ronaldo won major trophies in THREE different countries.

Murder with words just occurred.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Ahh yess and then we forget that in 2010 Sneijder should of won and in 18 Ronaldo should have but somehow modric does.
You also forgot that Ribery should have won 2013 and was robbed by Ronaldo & Blatter partnership where the voting was extended due to Ronaldo's performance vs Sweden, the most controversial Ballon D'or voting ever..

SportingCP96

Supports
You also forgot that Ribery should have won 2013 and was robbed by Ronaldo & Blatter partnership where the voting was extended due to Ronaldo's performance vs Sweden, the most controversial Ballon D'or voting ever..
Sneijder winning a fecking treble and spear heading holland to the WC final and you think ribery is the biggest robbery?

Modric winning in 2018 because Ronaldo left Madrid and you think Ribery is a robbery?

Ronaldo stays in Madrid you still think Modric wins it? not a chance.

the truth is it should be

6 a piece but thats neither here nor there.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
His record vs the big 6 is while he was in the greatest Barca team and possibly team of all time whose core also made Spain the most dominant national team in history without mess...who needed who more.

Look at Messi in PSG in a piss poor league while playing for a vastly superior team. He never left Barca for a reason.

you talk about international but what Ronaldo did with and for portal Messi would never. Had Ronaldo played with the player Messi did in Argentina he would have a World Cup by now.

You mentioning la Liga proves my point more. Messi played for the greatest team in the history of the sport. Meanwhile Ronaldo has the record for most consecutive Classico goals scored. Ronaldo reached his goal marks in Spain faster then Messi ever did.

Xavi/Zidane has similar assists per game vs Ronaldo, Lewa or Gerd Muller, do you think Ronaldo/Gerd Muller/Lewa has similar playmaking abilities to Xavi/Zidane? Have you ever heard of successful dribbles, key passes, chances created, successful long balls per game etc., key playmaking stats? Or, more importantly, do you watch football to distinguish between a playmaker and a striker (who tends to have many assists due to the position he occupies on the pitch) or do you just check their assist numbers after the game to evaluate their playmaking performance?

Ronaldo has played with players like Benzema, Ramos, Marcelo, Modric, Kroos, Pepe etc. all world-class players who bailed out Ronaldo year in year out in CL finals (the only area where Ronaldo has an edge). Ramos and Bale were easily the top performers of that Real team in CL finals with Ronaldo frequently ghosting.. Do you disagree that Ronaldo was bailed out multiple times by Ramos and Bale in multiple CL finals?

Ronaldo also has always worked with the coaching legends (bar a few seasons) such as SAF, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Allegri, Zidane vs Messi only with Guardiola. Do you think coaches matter in football? Or is it just Ronaldo's pure brilliance alone that brought success to the teams he played for?

Ronaldo could not even directly qualify for the World Cup this year with a superior Portugal squad vs Serbia at home and failed in Euros again with a superior Portugal. Do you think it was his teammates' and coach's fault and he is blameless as usual in these failures?

By the way, Ronaldo now has a chance to better his poor stats vs big 6 now that he is in PL. Judging by his Liverpool, City performances, tbh future looks bleak for him vs top PL teams..

Last edited:

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
2010 Messi had a goal contribution every 75 minutes, yes he didn't had a great WC and in the semis Sneijder's team beat Barcelona(everyone remembers Busquets play acting, but quickly forget 3 possible penalties Barcelona were denied at San Sir, although Karma for Barcelona for year earlier), but anyone who saw 2010 and will say Sneijder was better than Messi are just bitter. :lol:

Rojow

And yet, we've been shit in the league and Portugal could be out of the next WC. Those international goals are so overrated when you see goals against Luxemburgo or
Sneijder winning a fecking treble and spear heading holland to the WC final and you think ribery is the biggest robbery?
Did they reopened the votes for that to happen? Where's the robbery? I don't see nothing there. You are just trying downplay the fact that Ronaldo won a Ballon d'OR winning NOTHING that year. Mendes, Florentino and his PR at his best that year.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

Barcelona was that good also because of Messi

You think Cristiano can win CLs trophies without Modric,Benzema,Marcelo,Bale,Ramos,Kroos,Vidic,Rio,Rooney,Evra,Scholes, or Giggs?

I wanna see Cristiano winning CL with Shaw,Maguire,McFred,AWB, and Lingard to show how good he really is.

Plus that 2014 Argentina team was overrated, the only great players Messi had as teammates were Di Maria and Mascherano.
Just because it's Argentina doesn't make them all great players automatically, Germany had better player bar Messi.
The failure of Argentina is losing to Chile in penalties, a failure as big as Portugal losing a final to very poor Greece at home(with Cristiano on the pitch), when Figo alone worth more than the entire greek starter XI

Fridge chutney

He’s scored one goal in his last 7 league games, a period in which United have lost 5-0 against Liverpool (your biggest rivals) at home, 2-0 against City (your second biggest rivals) at home, 4-2 against Leicester and 4-1 against Watford. And because of how his game these days is so streamlined towards goals, when he doesn’t score he literally does nothing.

Moreover, he’s yet to actually score against a top team, in any competition (Atalanta with half their side missing is probably his biggest scalp thus far).

Funnily enough, @Samid didn’t drop his ‘is it still a debate’ tag after any of these batterings. That’s all I’m saying……
My point still stands, you were wrong by saying he has done nothing. He has been the best of an under-performing (bad) bunch, at times singlehandedly carrying United to undeserved victory.

KeanoMagicHat

Both Messi and Ronaldo are now massive tactical headaches for their managers and will still shine in bursts, but the big 3 in England and Bayern will see off any team with them in it because they don’t carry passengers. This has been the case at the highest level of European football for a while now, but it’s more pronounced now.

SportingCP96

Supports
Xavi/Zidane has similar assists per game vs Ronaldo, Lewa or Gerd Muller, do you think Ronaldo/Gerd Muller/Lewa has similar playmaking abilities to Xavi/Zidane? Have you ever heard of successful dribbles, key passes, chances created, successful long balls per game etc., key playmaking stats? Or, more importantly, do you watch football to distinguish between a playmaker and a striker (who tends to have many assists due to the position he occupies on the pitch) or do you just check their assist numbers after the game to evaluate their playmaking performance?

Ronaldo has played with players like Benzema, Ramos, Marcelo, Modric, Kroos, Pepe etc. all world-class players who bailed out Ronaldo year in year out in CL finals (the only area where Ronaldo has an edge). Ramos and Bale were easily the top performers of that Real team in CL finals with Ronaldo frequently ghosting.. Do you disagree that Ronaldo was bailed out multiple times by Ramos and Bale in multiple CL finals?

Ronaldo also has always worked with the coaching legends (bar a few seasons) such as SAF, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Allegri, Zidane vs Messi only with Guardiola. Do you think coaches matter in football? Or is it just Ronaldo's pure brilliance alone that brought success to the teams he played for?

Ronaldo could not even directly qualify for the World Cup this year with a superior Portugal squad vs Serbia at home and failed in Euros again with a superior Portugal. Do you think it was his teammates' and coach's fault and he is blameless as usual in these failures?

By the way, Ronaldo now has a chance to better his poor stats vs big 6 now that he is in PL. Judging by his Liverpool, City performances, tbh future looks bleak for him vs top PL teams..
Did he not get robbed of a goal away to Serbia which would seal qualification?
Oh ok thanks

trims

Supports
Arsenal

The Majority of his goals against English team (17 out of 27) came post 2014 when the Spain were getting knocked out in the group stages of the World Cup or against the likes of Russia.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
My point still stands, you were wrong by saying he has done nothing. He has been the best of an under-performing (bad) bunch, at times singlehandedly carrying United to undeserved victory.
The team performed much better without him in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.