Messi's next club: place your bets!

Who will Messi join?

• Total voters

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Such a sad state of affairs that small clubs like City and PSG are the ones he would go to. Honestly even if it’s not united it would be nice to see him at somewhere like Juve or Bayern. Even though that is obviously impossible.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
1. Barcelona
2. City - Messi joining his best friend Aguero and Guardiola looks like the only viable option for him....if he had the freedom to leave

PSG? Impossible. Due to Covid19 and Financial Fair Play, PSG can't afford him: sad because this would have traumatized the football world :devil:

Last edited:

GoldanoGraham

While I think that he will stay at Barca as it’s him against the current board, there will probably be a fan revolt and he will end up staying and quite a few above will go - including Koeman.

However, I feel for the Barca hierarchy as Messi pretty much holds them to ransom all the time and when he doesn’t get his way he holds a gun to their head.....he is 33 now and nobody can argue he has been the best player ever but his best days are behind him and he is costing upwards of £1m a week - they don’t seem to be able to plan for the future without his say so and managers come and go based on what he thinks of them.....

there has never been a clearer example of a player being bigger than the club

I’m not sure he could mentally adapt to anywhere else as he has been institutionalised at Barca and I doubt his impact would be anywhere near as effective as at Barca - maybe in an easier league but I doubt he could easily transition to the Prem and city - 20 years at the same place in the same league does make change difficult even if you’ve been as good as he has been......

that’s why I think it’s just a smokescreen and power play at Barca......and I reckon he will win

ThinkTank@Cafe

I think he’s not going to leave the club he runs. It’s a battle for power. Messi runs the club, Bartomeu gets the stick. Elected vs shadow government.

Of course, as things stand in social network driven world (read Barca), Messi is going to win. Legally, he can’t use contract termination clause until June 2021. Thus, his bureau fax is a declaration of war, not a way out.

Barca lemmings will follow their leader. Messi is destroying the great club.

A lesson for every club: “The Club is always bigger than a player” principle should be enforced and maintained at all costs.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
While I think that he will stay at Barca as it’s him against the current board, there will probably be a fan revolt and he will end up staying and quite a few above will go - including Koeman.

However, I feel for the Barca hierarchy as Messi pretty much holds them to ransom all the time and when he doesn’t get his way he holds a gun to their head.....he is 33 now and nobody can argue he has been the best player ever but his best days are behind him and he is costing upwards of £1m a week - they don’t seem to be able to plan for the future without his say so and managers come and go based on what he thinks of them.....

there has never been a clearer example of a player being bigger than the club

I’m not sure he could mentally adapt to anywhere else as he has been institutionalised at Barca and I doubt his impact would be anywhere near as effective as at Barca - maybe in an easier league but I doubt he could easily transition to the Prem and city - 20 years at the same place in the same league does make change difficult even if you’ve been as good as he has been......

that’s why I think it’s just a smokescreen and power play at Barca......and I reckon he will win

Let's not forget that all this "Messi runs Barca" talk in the end is just based on assumptions and media rumours. Messi himself named that as a reason why he thinks about leaving, other reports suggest.

So maybe, just maybe the guy isn't this evil genius of Machavellian dimensions but just a 33 year old player that is unhappy with the way the club is run, has given up hope for improvements and don't wants to spend his last career years (and title chances) on saving the arse of a president he and many of their fans despise.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think he’s not going to leave the club he runs. It’s a battle for power. Messi runs the club, Bartomeu gets the stick. Elected vs shadow government.

Of course, as things stand in social network driven world (read Barca), Messi is going to win. Legally, he can’t use contract termination clause until June 2021. Thus, his bureau fax is a declaration of war, not a way out.

Barca lemmings will follow their leader. Messi is destroying the great club.

A lesson for every club: “The Club is always bigger than a player” principle should be enforced and maintained at all costs.
Let's wait what the courts will say. As far as I know, outrunning player contracts were extended beyond June 10, weren't they? So I assume there are good arguments for extending such clauses, too. The way this story unfolds it seems as if the chances for courts supporting the interpretation of Messi's party are pretty likely. I also don't think they had done this if their attorneys didn't tell them they've got good chances.

So maybe, just maybe the guy isn't this evil genius of Machavellian dimensions but just a 33 year old player that is unhappy with the way the club is run, has given up hope for improvements and don't wants to spend his last career years (and title chances) on saving the arse of a president he and many of their fans despise.
Yup.

James Peril

Such a sad state of affairs that small clubs like City and PSG are the ones he would go to. Honestly even if it’s not united it would be nice to see him at somewhere like Juve or Bayern. Even though that is obviously impossible.
Such a sad post from you as well though. Ok, both of those clubs are built unfairly the last ten years, but let’s not pretend it’s going to change in the future. Money talks, sports is economics and the market powers rule, as in any other popular sport. A lot of clubs in the Prem now have new, untraditional ownerships, will your grudge last forever?

Calling PSG and City small clubs in 2020 is pretty lame, I assume you would put Villa and Nottingham Forest above both of them and wonder why players don’t agree? Sorry, both clubs are now big players and much better clubs/football teams than United - if not «bigger».

Eddy_JukeZ

Such a sad post from you as well though. Ok, both of those clubs are built unfairly the last ten years, but let’s not pretend it’s going to change in the future. Money talks, sports is economics and the market powers rule, as in any other popular sport. A lot of clubs in the Prem now have new, untraditional ownerships, will your grudge last forever?

Calling PSG and City small clubs in 2020 is pretty lame, I assume you would put Villa and Nottingham Forest above both of them and wonder why players don’t agree? Sorry, both clubs are now big players and much better clubs/football teams than United - if not «bigger».
City and PSG are not bigger than United.

But you don't realize the gist of his post.

City and PSG have been state funded. It'd be such a joke if literally the best player since Maradona goes to either of them.

What even becomes of the sport then?

Lynty

City and PSG have been state funded. It'd be such a joke if literally the best player since Maradona goes to either of them.

Your living in the past.

Berbasbullet

This! The point it is how sad it is that the only realistic options are 2 state funded teams. Maybe I shouldn’t have referred to them as “small clubs”, but the point still stands.

A sad post from me when you agree that they were both built unfairly? Sure mate. When did I say that it will change in the future?

Anyway this is derailing the thread pm me if you want to carry on the debate.

Lynty

It's you're*

And what is that directed towards? Which part?
Well done, your fantastic with you're grammar.

Pretty much all of it. Especially the second half. Most people don't care anymore. The world is corrupt, football is corrupt, there's tainted money everywhere, nothing we can do - just entertain us. That's where the sport is now, and how it will be going forward.

Eddy_JukeZ

Pretty much all of it. Especially the second half. Most people don't care anymore. The world is corrupt, football is corrupt, there's tainted money everywhere, nothing we can do - just entertain us. That's where the sport is now, and how it will be going forward.
So you think PSG and City are bigger in stature than Manchester United?

Are you wumming?

Berbasbullet

That’s fine, so we aren’t allowed to express our disappointment at that being how football is?

United Hobbit

City unfortunately.... theyre the only ones who can afford him and his wages bar PSG.

PSG would be the safe option for him as its an easier league. Something like Juve would be good as again it seems to be slightly slower look how well Young and Sanchez have been doing there but doubt they can afford his especially with Ronaldo there too

I haven't seen much of him this season as dont watch Spanish football, would people say he still retains his ability or is he perhaps starting to decline?

I hope we at least approach him but I don't think we will especially as we seem to have given up with Sancho who I'd probably prefer as he's got his whole career ahead of him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
So, scanning the media landscape I realized tere's lots of reports that summarize how things escalated at Barca over years, ultimately leading to this finale. However, I've yet to see a profound assessment of how likely it is that Messi wins the legal case and the clause is extended beyond June 10 because of Corona. In the end, this will be the deciding factor. Has anyone came across such an article?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PSG is not bigger than Mancheter United.

However, PSG is the biggest football club in France.

Marseille? This is a club that won the European Cup because they did corrupt some players and referees in 1992/93 (French league/European Cup)

PSG is not bigger than Mancheter United.

However, PSG is the biggest football club in France.
:lol:

Like feck they are, they were founded just 50 years ago. Marseille are the bigger club by a long way, although every year that goes by wipes all that out. No doubt PSG are to be the biggest club in France by every measure soon enough.

United Hobbit

Another option could be America or China but guessing he'd want a more "prestigious" league for a couple of years then do that?

The thought of City with him :nervous:

Oldyella

This! The point it is how sad it is that the only realistic options are 2 state funded teams. Maybe I shouldn’t have referred to them as “small clubs”, but the point still stands.

A sad post from me when you agree that they were both built unfairly? Sure mate. When did I say that it will change in the future?

Anyway this is derailing the thread pm me if you want to carry on the debate.
They are the only options because over time he has leveraged such an incredible wage from Barcelona. That's it. Not sure why people think this is so sad, it's nothing to do with the lure of the relevant clubs, so why care?

Lynty

So you think PSG and City are bigger in stature than Manchester United?

Are you wumming?
Certainly not. But money beats stature now.

That’s fine, so we aren’t allowed to express our disappointment at that being how football is?
I wish it were different to. But bitter/snide remarks to belittle modern clubs achievements is cringe worthy, and we laughed at the scousers for years for similar sentiments.

This is what football has become. I still enjoy it. When I stop enjoying it, I'll stop watching.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
:lol:

Like feck they are, they were founded just 50 years ago. Marseille are the bigger club by a long way, although every year that goes by wipes all that out. No doubt PSG are to be the biggest club in France by every measure soon enough.
L-O-L

Please do some research about PSG/OM as you did for Covid-19 ;)

Marseille was relegated in 1992/1993 because they did corrupt players and referees at the domestic and European level.

PSG and Marseille are the two only French clubs than won a European cup, bot not in the same way!

Marseille never dominated the league over a long period of time as PSG and Lyon did.

Havak

Pokemon master
I have voted Man City as the poll is Messi's 'next club'. If he leaves Barcelona, which I still somewhat doubt, then I reckon it would be City. However, I do think only Man Utd could actually legitimately offer him the highest wages... Just that Man City or PSG would probably be able to have their owners dip into their pockets outside of the official 'contract'. He'd do better with image rights and sponsors etc at Man Utd, but I think if he is leaving Barcelona, as much as it will be to do with a fall out on how the club is being run, it's because he doesn't foresee himself winning another Champion's League or Player of the Year award if he stays there.

Again, it depends if these accolades really matter to him more than being a Barcelona legend & one-club man anymore? When you've got five Champion's League winner's medals and six Ballon d'Ors, are you that bothered about getting more (even if you're Lionel Messi)? Only he can say, but I do think he'd be content with helping Barcelona out during a rebuild for another 2-3 years before debating retirement.

L-O-L

Please do some research about PSG/OM as you did for Covid-19 ;)

Marseille was relegated in 1992/1993 because they did corrupt players and referees at the domestic and European level.

PSG and Marseille are the two only French clubs than won a European cup, bot not in the same way!

Marseille never dominated the league over a long period of time as PSG and Lyon did.
I’m an 80’s kid and a massive Waddle fan, I know the history.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Can we feck pay what Messi would be demanding in wages.

We can't even go the extra 10m to sign Sancho
I mean theoretically we could though. If we’re going to pay the best part of £70 Million up front for Sancho even without his wages or whatever it will be then we could afford that in wages.

We could but I doubt we will.

GoldanoGraham

Can’t see how City can do this under FFP - especially as everything will be scrutinised - I mean they got off last time on a technicality and shite preparation by UEFA - this would indeed require some very very creative accounting that everyone and their dog will go through with a fine tooth comb -

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Not sure if this has been talked yet as I haven't read the whole thread, but Quim Domenech said tonight that City are extremely well positioned to sign Messi if he leaves on a free.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Let's wait what the courts will say. As far as I know, outrunning player contracts were extended beyond June 10, weren't they? So I assume there are good arguments for extending such clauses, too. The way this story unfolds it seems as if the chances for courts supporting the interpretation of Messi's party are pretty likely. I also don't think they had done this if their attorneys didn't tell them they've got good chances.
Barca just should let him go. Him “leaving Barca” happened too many times. The club of Barca size shouldn’t tolerate such attitude.

Going to the court will be an utmost sign of desperation and humiliating for the club.

I’ve been always sympathetic to Barca and didn’t like Real. But credit to Real hierarchy, they know how to run a club. Real Madrid historically had the best management in football and there are 13 proofs in their trophy cabinet.