Gaming Metroid Dread (Nintendo Switch)

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
My copy arrived yesterday (hiding it from my wee one) just waiting on my new Switch arriving. Actually pretty excited to play this one.

JohnZSmith27

Really don't want this game to end. Supposed to be on my way to the last boss but I'm fluting around trying to get all the power-ups and hidden spots etc. Such a great game.

Spoony

The People's President
Really don't want this game to end. Supposed to be on my way to the last boss but I'm fluting around trying to get all the power-ups and hidden spots etc. Such a great game.

This game is intense due to the boss battles and EMMIs, whereas Super M felt very isolating - which I preferred. The power ups in this game are great, though - can't wait to get the screw attack. Well it'll take ages to beat the Experiment bloke. He's not nice guy.

JohnZSmith27

This game is intense due to the boss battles and EMMIs, whereas Super M felt very isolating - which I preferred. The power ups in this game are great, though - can't wait to get the screw attack. Well it'll take ages to beat the Experiment bloke. He's not nice guy.
Yeah that experiment bloke was a weird one. The first time I fought him I got an interactive cut-scene early in the fight after I countered him but that was the only time. Every other time I fought him (many other times) I just got health and missiles when I countered him. Like all the bosses though once you get the timing and patterns down you get past him handy enough.

Spoony

The People's President
Yeah that experiment bloke was a weird one. The first time I fought him I got an interactive cut-scene early in the fight after I countered him but that was the only time. Every other time I fought him (many other times) I just got health and missiles when I countered him. Like all the bosses though once you get the timing and patterns down you get past him handy enough.
True. I've enjoyed fighting the Chozos, but they're bloody stupid. But beating the bosses - the relief and buzz is well worth the effort. Glad you've enjoyed the game even though it ain't easy!

Spoony

The People's President
That shinespark looks amazing - I've not tried it yet. Some great gamers on YT, they make it look easy. I'm off to play snakes and ladders.

JohnZSmith27

Feck this last boss. Jesus. I'm about to throw the controller through the TV. Time for bed.

JohnZSmith27

Did you try again? Like all other bosses it all comes together in the end and I think he is (fairly) straightforward. You do need quick reactions though.
I haven't yet no. I'm out and about today. I'll try it again later with a clear head. He's just so feckin quick with that 3 part physical attack.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Did you try again? Like all other bosses it all comes together in the end and I think he is (fairly) straightforward. You do need quick reactions though.
Yeah exactly this

First few tries I was thinking no chance, but then eventually you get good at phase 1 and after that it becomes very doable

Finished it this evening with 97% collectibles in 14 hours

Missed 3 missle tanks, I just couldn’t get the hang of the mid air shine strike moves so gave up on them

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Loved the game though, My game of the year so far for sure

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I have been playing this since getting OLED last week, feels like I’m stuck now as I have been to all rooms that I have open and can’t go anywhere. I’m new to the whole Metroid thing and the entire genre to be fair. I should probably just keep running around and I will figure it out, right?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I have been playing this since getting OLED last week, feels like I’m stuck now as I have been to all rooms that I have open and can’t go anywhere. I’m new to the whole Metroid thing and the entire genre to be fair. I should probably just keep running around and I will figure it out, right?
What was the last thing you did/boss you fought?

Sarni

What was the last thing you did/boss you fought?
I haven’t even fought a boss. :lol: As I said I am clueless in this genre. Still running around original world shooting at the same stuff over and over again. I’m hopeless.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I haven’t even fought a boss. :lol: As I said I am clueless in this genre. Still running around original world shooting at the same stuff over and over again. I’m hopeless.
Have you come across the first EMMI?

With Metroid and Metroidvania style games your surroundings aren’t what they seem. Be sure to shoot at walls and such to open secret pathways

Sarni

Have you come across the first EMMI?

With Metroid and Metroidvania style games your surroundings aren’t what they seem. Be sure to shoot at walls and such to open secret pathways
Yeah I have faced the first EMMI and have opened a large chunk of the map. The issue is everywhere I go I either have to jump and slide, which I haven’t learned, go into a room where the heat kills me, or go through a door which closes when I approach it. I think I will need to go around looking for some extra skills/inventory before I can properly progress.

Is the world I am in the only one in this game?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yeah I have faced the first EMMI and have opened a large chunk of the map. The issue is everywhere I go I either have to jump and slide, which I haven’t learned, go into a room where the heat kills me, or go through a door which closes when I approach it. I think I will need to go around looking for some extra skills/inventory before I can properly progress.

No there’s 8 I believe. You will leave and come back to the one you’re in.

Keep trying :)

Sarni

And I have just beaten my first boss (the big eye) and can now grapple to blue walls which has opened up lots of opportunities. Very satisfying experience.

Sarni

No there’s 8 I believe. You will leave and come back to the one you’re in.

Keep trying :)
8 worlds and people say this game is completed in 8-9 hours on average?? Are people insane?

Spoony

The People's President
I'm not far off the final boss. The game is brilliant to play, especially love the screw attack, the graphics and animation are top notch too...but my main gripe with game is that it doesn't flow like Super Metroid nor is it as atmospheric or fun to play. The EMMIs aren't scary they're tedious and so are the bosses. I suspect SM will get remade, if that's the case I hope they don't tinker with it too much...certainty no EMMIs and a zillion tedious bosses. Very good game but....it's no Super Metroid.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm not far off the final boss. The game is brilliant to play, especially love the screw attack, the graphics and animation are top notch too...but my main gripe with game is that it doesn't flow like Super Metroid nor is it as atmospheric or fun to play. The EMMIs aren't scary they're tedious and so are the bosses. I suspect SM will get remade, if that's the case I hope they don't tinker with it too much...certainty no EMMIs and a zillion tedious bosses. Very good game but....it's no Super Metroid.
They're only tedious cos your rubbish :)

But I get how it can be frustrating - they should definitely have added an easy mode for those who just wanted a more casual play through. Personally I like an added challenge so I didn't mind too much.

Spoony

The People's President
They're only tedious cos your rubbish :)

But I get how it can be frustrating - they should definitely have added an easy mode for those who just wanted a more casual play through. Personally I like an added challenge so I didn't mind too much.

Elvis, you could be right. But how do you compare this game with Super Metroid?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Elvis, you could be right. But how do you compare this game with Super Metroid?
Oh Super Metroid without a doubt. I agree with you in that SM there was a much more isolated and lonely atmosphere which I too preferred. And as mentioned previously SM is in the GOAT tier of games. I don't think Dread comes close to SM but it is still a fantastic game in its own right.

I know they're working on Metroid Prime 4 at the moment (and I expect the Trilogy to be related on Switch soon), but I hope they continue with 2D Metroids aswell. A part of me would love an SM remake, but the game is perfect as it is. I'd hate for them to try and Remaster/Remake it and lose what made it great.

Spoony

The People's President
Oh Super Metroid without a doubt. I agree with you in that SM there was a much more isolated and lonely atmosphere which I too preferred. And as mentioned previously SM is in the GOAT tier of games. I don't think Dread comes close to SM but it is still a fantastic game in its own right.

I know they're working on Metroid Prime 4 at the moment (and I expect the Trilogy to be related on Switch soon), but I hope they continue with 2D Metroids aswell. A part of me would love an SM remake, but the game is perfect as it is. I'd hate for them to try and Remaster/Remake it and lose what made it great.

Agreed. And yeah Dread is a cracking game I'm unfairly comparing it to SM. Apparently MD has been a sales success if that's case then expect more 2D Metroid games.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Just got this. Graphics are a bit wank considering it's a switch game.