Miami condo collapse

Fergies Gum

You've got to fear the worst now for all the people still unaccounted for.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Anyone know how old the building is/was?

Withnail

Anyone know how old the building is/was?
I was reading it was built in 1981 and apparently it was being inspected for it's 40 year re-certification but they hadn't come across any issues as of yet.

“There’s no reason for this building to go down like that unless someone literally pulls out the supports from underneath, or they get washed out, or there is a sinkhole or something like that, because it just went down,” said Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett.

There was no indication, there was nothing brought to our attention that there was a problem with the building or something that we should have known about,” said Surfside Commissioner Eliana Salzhauer. “No one had said anything or mentioned anything, and there are some other residents who live in the building, and they said they didn’t think anything was a problem, either.”

“The first step is, it’s incumbent on us to try and determine what caused this.
Those engineers go through a building with a fine comb looking at different areas, such as point tension cables, such as support beams and mechanisms in the building, that keep that structure sound"

Peter Dyga, with the Associated Builders and Contractors Florida East Coast Chapter, said for a building failure of this magnitude, it’s likely multiple factors were involved.

“We’re going to have to go back to the design of this building, to the foundation, to the structure, to the engineering calculations, to the building, to the craftsmanship, to the maintenance and the HOA records,” said Dyga. “Everything about it is a potential contributor, and it’s, unfortunately, going to be a very long time, probably, before we know the answers.”

https://www.wsvn.com/news/local/que...ing-collapse-at-champlain-towers-in-surfside/

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I was reading it was built in 1981 and apparently it was being inspected for it's 40 year re-certification but they hadn't come across any issues as of yet.

“There’s no reason for this building to go down like that unless someone literally pulls out the supports from underneath, or they get washed out, or there is a sinkhole or something like that, because it just went down,” said Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett.

There was no indication, there was nothing brought to our attention that there was a problem with the building or something that we should have known about,” said Surfside Commissioner Eliana Salzhauer. “No one had said anything or mentioned anything, and there are some other residents who live in the building, and they said they didn’t think anything was a problem, either.”

“The first step is, it’s incumbent on us to try and determine what caused this.
Those engineers go through a building with a fine comb looking at different areas, such as point tension cables, such as support beams and mechanisms in the building, that keep that structure sound"

Peter Dyga, with the Associated Builders and Contractors Florida East Coast Chapter, said for a building failure of this magnitude, it’s likely multiple factors were involved.

“We’re going to have to go back to the design of this building, to the foundation, to the structure, to the engineering calculations, to the building, to the craftsmanship, to the maintenance and the HOA records,” said Dyga. “Everything about it is a potential contributor, and it’s, unfortunately, going to be a very long time, probably, before we know the answers.”

https://www.wsvn.com/news/local/que...ing-collapse-at-champlain-towers-in-surfside/
Cheers @Withnail

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
My first thought was I bet this was built in the early 80’s/late 70’s. I have owned 2 houses in the south built in that era and the quality of construction was shocking. No way that happens unless there is shoddy construction or the foundation gave way. Florida is in the news all the time for sinkholes, so maybe that?

TheReligion

Abusive
That video is still awful. Just imagine people are in there going about their business with no idea and that happens and they are dead.

Feck sake.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Shocking stuff. Florida has a sinkhole problem. My mrs was in Ft. Lauderdale last night, this wasn't that far from where she was.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
My first thought was I bet this was built in the early 80’s/late 70’s. I have owned 2 houses in the south built in that era and the quality of construction was shocking. No way that happens unless there is shoddy construction or the foundation gave way. Florida is in the news all the time for sinkholes, so maybe that?
Sinkhole would be my guess since it's on one of the barrier islands in Miami. I've been hoping for a sinkhole about 65 miles north of this place though for a while. :nervous:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Sinkhole would be my guess since it's on one of the barrier islands in Miami. I've been hoping for a sinkhole about 65 miles north of this place though for a while. :nervous:
to be fair I wouldn’t be adverse to the southeast itself being sinkholed……

forevrared

Sinkhole does seem the most sensible explanation, given the way it just pancaked straight down. Ran across a Twitter thread earlier listing (with photos) the missing. Gut wrenching.

Carolina Red

Staff
If it collapsed while occupied due to shoddy inspections… I mean, that’s Grenfell Tower level scandal there. I just can’t wrap my head around how something like that happened in Miami.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
How can that happen?

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
That’s a sinkhole, I live next to a river and 2 years ago we had in our street a huge sinkhole, that was overnight but luckily nobody was injured because some early walker saw that and called the police.

Carolina Red

Staff
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...cture-had-been-sinking-into-earth/7778631002/

A Florida high-rise that collapsed early Thursday was determined to be unstable a year ago, according to a researcher at Florida International University.

The building, which was constructed in 1981, has been sinking at an alarming rate since the 1990s, according to a study in 2020 by Shimon Wdowinski, a professor in the Department of Earth and Environment.

When Wdowinski saw the news that the Champlain Towers South condominium in Surfside collapsed, he instantly remembered it from the study, he said.

“I looked at it this morning and said, ‘Oh my god.’ We did detect that,” he said.

diarm

Jesus that is terrifying. The thought of just being tucked up in bed and all of a sudden the building just collapsing beneath and on top of you? Absolutely awful.

Withnail

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...cture-had-been-sinking-into-earth/7778631002/

A Florida high-rise that collapsed early Thursday was determined to be unstable a year ago, according to a researcher at Florida International University.

The building, which was constructed in 1981, has been sinking at an alarming rate since the 1990s, according to a study in 2020 by Shimon Wdowinski, a professor in the Department of Earth and Environment.

When Wdowinski saw the news that the Champlain Towers South condominium in Surfside collapsed, he instantly remembered it from the study, he said.

“I looked at it this morning and said, ‘Oh my god.’ We did detect that,” he said.
The level of sinking at the Champlain condo was unusual, he said.

Wdownski said he doesn’t believe anybody in the city or state government would have had a reason to be aware of the findings of the study. The bulk of it focused on potential flooding hazards, not engineering concerns. The study’s mention of the “12-story condominium” was relegated to a single line.

“We didn’t give it too much importance,” Wdowinski said.

The incident has made him think about the possibility of using such data to identify areas of potential structural risk, he said.

Nice one Wdowinski :eek:

Carolina Red

Staff
The level of sinking at the Champlain condo was unusual, he said.

Wdownski said he doesn’t believe anybody in the city or state government would have had a reason to be aware of the findings of the study. The bulk of it focused on potential flooding hazards, not engineering concerns. The study’s mention of the “12-story condominium” was relegated to a single line.

“We didn’t give it too much importance,” Wdowinski said.

The incident has made him think about the possibility of using such data to identify areas of potential structural risk, he said.

Nice one Wdowinski :eek:
I’m dumbfounded that they just “ho hum, look at that” and forgot about it.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I’m dumbfounded that they just “ho hum, look at that” and forgot about it.
Having spent almost 2 decades in academia in a previous life this is completely not surprising. If engineering was not a focus of the study, which it sounds like it wasn't, it is not unusual that they spent little thought on it. I am more surprised they even mentioned it.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I live in a 40 year old building along a ravine edge. When I hear the thing make big creaking/knocking noises at night I have to try hard not to think about this exact scenario happening.

Mike Smalling

Christ that's terrible and scary. It's sad, but I can't imagine many (if any) of the 159 unaccounted for will make it :(