Miami condo collapse

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Built on reclaimed land... lots if post tensioned concrete... issues leading up to the 40 year structural review... repairs being undertaken at the time.... not sure there will be a clear route cause but I suspect all of the above will be a factor

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Cash the emotional support dog brought in to help families who are still looking for loved ones :(
Sometimes there are jobs only a dog can do.

I can't imagine how those people feel, torn between fading hope and the need to grieve. It has to be worse, in the long run, than knowing right away that your love one has died.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Sometimes there are jobs only a dog can do.

I can't imagine how those people feel, torn between fading hope and the need to grieve. It has to be worse, in the long run, than knowing right away that your love one has died.
Yep their presence alone is soothing. Every second must feel like an eternity for these families. It must be excruciating.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
This article in The Guardian is very informative. Who is responsible? It appears the original waterproofing on the concrete slab underneath the pool deck was incorrectly angled, which meant that water couldn't drain away.

Are the builders responsible, or the architects? Presumably if this had been done properly, the water wouldn't have got in.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/03/miami-condo-collapse-board-debate

edit - after more than 40 years, it's highly-likely that some of the people involved in the design and construction of the building won't be alive, and companies may have folded.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The remains of the final person missing have now been found and identified. I read about this lady (Estelle Hedaya) last week, the family were very upset that the search was being called off with one person still not accounted for.

You have to admire the people who've been working at the site, it must have been such hard and upsetting work.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57979126

MarylandMUFan

Surfside Condo Collapse Victims Reach $997 Million Settlement

While one can never compensate for a lost life this is a strong incentive to never let it happen again. Glad to see it didn't take decades either.
We were in Miami over Christmas break and went on one of those airboat tours in the everglades. They pick you up from your hotel and it was my family and another German family and the driver of the pickup van happened to be from Germany. He spent the drive telling us interesting stuff about the Everglades and the wildlife (Everglades is actually a slow moving river and not a swamp for instance). Anyway, we drove past the Surfside condo spot and he just casually mentions that this is a heavily Jewish area and they will get a big settlement. I immediately gave my wife a look and it was clear that she did not pick up on the anti-Semitism in his comment. I was stunned.