Micah Richards on Fergie and United

Neutral

BTV
Micah Richards has revealed he 'wanted to cry' while he was watching Manchester United beat Blackburn last weekend to take a stranglehold on the Premier League title.

"At half-time and at 60 minutes, I thought: 'You never know...', but United do always look like they will score," said the Manchester United defender.

"So I knew it was going to come.

"But when they got it and went further clear of us, I actually wanted to cry and I haven't done that or felt like that in years.

"Football is full of emotions. You get angry and happy but I have never wanted to cry before. This time I did as that`s how much it means.

"I have been grafting so hard this season, we have played unbelievable football and to see United come like this is horrendous. It kills me."

Although the two sides are still to play each other again this season, City are eight points shy of United heading into tonight`s fixtures.

Both have winnable-looking games, with the Blues facing West Brom and the Reds taking on Wigan, but Richards knows October`s drubbing should have settled things there and then.

"(Sir Alex Ferguson) Fergie has got to be one of the best managers that I've ever come across because, if we had got beaten 6-1 that day, United would have been 20 points clear by now," he added.
Aside from the Mirror calling him a United defender :lol::lol:

Confirming what we all knew...Fergie is on a whole different level to Mancini.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What a bellend. All but admitted he's given up.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I don't like the thick twat.

Compensates for a lack of technical skill and footballing intelligence with reckless tackles and raw power.

And his comments usually are a load of toss, like this one - why on earth say something like that? Talk about undermining your manager.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I don't like the thick twat.

Compensates for a lack of technical skill and footballing intelligence with reckless tackles and raw power.

And his comments usually are a load of toss, like this one - why on earth say something like that? Talk about undermining your manager.
well yes, I don't think that anybody from our camp would admit that players have given up.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You simply don't talk like that during a title race. Despite however many points behind you are, don't say stuff like that until it's mathematically done.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
You simply don't talk like that during a title race. Despite however many points behind you are, don't say stuff like that until it's mathematically done.
Reflects the City mentality - the only player in their squad from their own set-up admits defeat long before it's over.

To be honest they've played like a team that has given up for a month.

Aint gota Kalou

Mancini does the same thing though, they've pretty much let the world openly know all their going ons and he's even clearly criticised the players on several occasions.

United and Fergie do it completely different, I don't think he ever shows any weaknesses and any problems we don't seem to hear about, he either deals with it before it comes a problem or its done behind closed doors.

City have a lot to learn when it comes to handling a potentially title-winning squad. Honesty needs to be appluaded but not when it's going to effect the morale of the changing room. They've clearly got a very talented squad but you need more than that to have a winning mentality.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
People underestimated us. They hear 'winning mentality' and think it's a simple thing. You cannot buy that, they've spunked hundreds of millions and proved once again you cannot buy the title. Not instantly anyway.

Member 39557

It's not over yet, but they've been worried for a while. I think signs of their fragility started to show when their Arsenal legend and official mouthpiece started making comments in the press about Paul Scholes.

Varun

Staff
Mancini does the same thing though, they've pretty much let the world openly know all their going ons and he's even clearly criticised the players on several occasions.

United and Fergie do it completely different, I don't think he ever shows any weaknesses and any problems we don't seem to hear about, he either deals with it before it comes a problem or its done behind closed doors.

City have a lot to learn when it comes to handling a potentially title-winning squad. Honesty needs to be appluaded but not when it's going to effect the morale of the changing room. They've clearly got a very talented squad but you need more than that to have a winning mentality.
Spot on really.

They've made a habit of doing everything publicly and it does them no good.

I admire his honesty here but he shouldne be saying this while the race for the title is still on. I'd be furious if one of our players did the same in a similar situation.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
they're trying to shift all the pressure on to us while taking focus off them. Don't believe everything people say. They're struggling because people were watching them.I think they're incredibly disorganized but with 6 games to go they will think we can beat united at our ground and it's not impossible that we'll slip up.... before hand. Perhaps even tonight. City should have lost to Sunderland - who we still have to face. They will be a hard game for us and they know it.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
Aye, I am simply amazed by their attitude. As soon as they drop points or something falls apart, they start pointing fingers and give up which is all that they have done. Basically, you look at Mancini and you look at Fergie. Mancini never appears confident enough even when they were 7 ahead of us whereas Fergie looks the exact opposite, confident and full of belief even when most of the people had conceded the title to City. Remember that especially well after we lost to Newcastle.

Just reinstates that value of having a winning mentality drilled into the squad which starts at the top, the manager. Mancini is just not a strong enough character.

Irwin

I though City's attitude was pathetic at Arsenal, they basically gave up the title without a fight.
It really showed that if you're going to put together a £500m team of mercenaries you better make sure they are a shit load better than everyone else cause when it starts to come down to character, you are in trouble.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
What ever the fans' ridiculous claims about FA corruption etc, all they had to do was keep winning their games & that would not have been an issue.

They bottled it like so many before. The only teams that haven't bottled it (Chavs/Arse) have concentrated on their own performance rather than having a go at us all the time (Scouse/Shitty/Newcastle).

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Why do players feel the need to voice themselves like this, before they've actually lost anything? He's admitting defeat before they've been defeated, if that isn't a poor attitude than I don't know what is. It's nice that he's acknowledged the obvious, and that he's not happy, and we have a much better manager at our helm, but why on earth does he think City fans want to hear that? I'm pretty sure that's the last thing they want to hear, so for whose benefit is this interview?

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
Why do players feel the need to voice themselves like this, before they've actually lost anything? He's admitting defeat before they've been defeated, if that isn't a poor attitude than I don't know what is. It's nice that he's acknowledged the obvious, and that he's not happy, and we have a much better manager at our helm, but why on earth does he think City fans want to hear that? I'm pretty sure that's the last thing they want to hear, so for whose benefit is this interview?
If it was any other team he was playing for, I'd say that would be a come-get-me plea. Ridiculous interview.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Was Richards a United fan growing up? He's said countless times that Scholes is his favourite player.

Chabon

People underestimated us. They hear 'winning mentality' and think it's a simple thing. You cannot buy that, they've spunked hundreds of millions and proved once again you cannot buy the title. Not instantly anyway.
This got me to wondering what's the smallest number of title-winning players we've had in a squad since 93. I think it's almost certainly 2006-7 where we had a huge number of players without league medals, but we still had Neville, Ferdinand, Scholes, Giggs, Silvestre, Solskjaer, O'Shea and Brown. Larsson and Van Der Sar had also won plenty in their careers.

Obviously you can win a title without a load of players who've already done it, but it's happened all of twice since 1995, and those two teams (Arsenal 1998 and Chelsea 2005) were utterly exceptional.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
This got me to wondering what's the smallest number of title-winning players we've had in a squad since 93. I think it's almost certainly 2006-7 where we had a huge number of players without league medals, but we still had Neville, Ferdinand, Scholes, Giggs, Silvestre, Solskjaer, O'Shea and Brown. Larsson and Van Der Sar had also won plenty in their careers.

Obviously you can win a title without a load of players who've already done it, but it's happened all of twice since 1995, and those two teams (Arsenal 1998 and Chelsea 2005) were utterly exceptional.
This was the essence of my Arsenal Transition thread, and why they've won so little for so long.

They've removed all the players with experience of success, and the effect that has had on the future team is devestating. Compare that with United, and how we operate could not be further away.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott

But like us in 2007, Arsenal had a group that had done it all before. Seaman, Winterburn, Dixon, Adams and Bould, with Keown, Platt, Parlour, Wright all well experienced and won plenty with the club or elsewhere.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
So, from this article it 'really looks like the City players are loosing faith in Mancini' and shows no good light on him, but it's still a good interview? From who's perspective?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
IIRC Richards has always been speaking only good things about Fergie and United. I kinda like him (along with Zabaleta, Komopany and Hart). I feel dirty now :(
This, I quite like him.

Neutral

BTV
In the full interview...I love the bit where he talks about playing with Silva and Milner...and that if it was up to him, Milner would start in front of him, not Silva....hehe

Varun

Staff
Now that i've read the full interview, to be fair to him, he just says that its painful to be this far behind after the start they had and also says that he isnt giving up till its over. Gives credit to Sir Alex for our revival after the 6-1 which is nothing wrong imo. Saying Sir Alex is a great manager in no way undermines Mancini. The 20 points bit was over the top though, shouldnt have said it.

Its a very honest interview in all, something that shouldnt be done during a title run in imo, keep them for the off season.

Cina

I'd say Fergie would kill one of our players if we gave an interview like that.

Like noods pointed out before, the difference between Fergie and other managers is that no matter what, he never admits defeat before something is over, and never criticises our squad or how the club is run.

Zen86

For the last two months they've all sounded scared shitless. All coming out giving it the big-time to the media, trying to play mind games and then royally bottling it at the weekend.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Is it just me who thinks he came across as quite bitter in that article? 'City have played the far better football' and 'Rooney our only good player' etc...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I though City's attitude was pathetic at Arsenal, they basically gave up the title without a fight.
I think they went into a game where midfield was important with a midfield which included Gareth Barry and James Milner. Doesn't really work when the rest of the side isn't playing well enough to carry them.

No real game plan either. Chasing shadows around in a panic instead of sitting in and trying to control the game on the break.

As big an idiot as Balotelli is, he's been made a scapegoat for Sunday's defeat, as well as the fact City haven't really played well since about November.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Is it just me who thinks he came across as quite bitter in that article? 'City have played the far better football' and 'Rooney our only good player' etc...
alot of fans of other teams think that, mainly because they only sit down to watch MOTD highlights.

AttackingFlair

'He played (Phil) Jagielka ahead of me in one game even though he hadn't played right back for about six years. How am I supposed to take that? Then Tom Cleverley played half a good game at Wembley (in the Community Shield) and was in the next England squad. I was buzzing because Tom is my mate but what is that about? If you play well for United you will get straight into the England squad. At other clubs it's harder. I graft every week but feel I have to try twice as hard to get recognition.'
Tell that to Michael Carrick

Chabon

But like us in 2007, Arsenal had a group that had done it all before. Seaman, Winterburn, Dixon, Adams and Bould, with Keown, Platt, Parlour, Wright all well experienced and won plenty with the club or elsewhere.
Utterly embarrassing moment for me, I just completely forgot that they still had all those players from 91.

redhoop

I agree that it is not the kind of interview that you would expect a professional to give during the season. Definitely summer holiday stuff. I'd like to believe that, like Mancini's, it is one of those statements that is meant to take the pressure of them and so give them a better chance of winning their remaining fixtures, but he doesn't strike me as quite that sophisticated. Certainly, it doesn't speak well of their team mentality; not that I think players should all be yes-men and have no opinions, just that there is a time and a place to voice them and our tabloid press in the midst of the run-in doesn't seem to be the wisest of places. Shouldn't they be talking to each other about these feelings and how they can put them to best use on the pitch?