Micah Richards - The Pundit

Pablo76

Annoyingly likeable bloke, compare him to Jermaine Jenas for example and you wonder why some ‘pundits’ are even employed.

Walters_19_MuFc

Love Micah Richards. Bring so much life to the pundrity team, which makes a change compared to all the other miserable bastards.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's a nice guy and entertaining, but honestly a poor enough pundit in terms of analysis. Like Keane he offers nothing on the match just brings personality to the table. They work super well together though. Him laughing at Shearers midfield was so insulting it was funny.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He’s the class clown. His compadre Nedum Onuaha is a seriously good pundit.
Onuaha is a much more insightful pundit, very good on tactics but sadly tv is moving away from that, Micah will always be the guy whose clips and highlights get views on social media because of his personality.

Big Andy

Bloke
He's an annoying blue cnut. Basically a cartoon pundit Offers nothing to the discussion other than his god awful laugh.

Bin.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He’s the class clown. His compadre Nedum Onuaha is a seriously good pundit.
Onuaha is really great, I think I actually created a thread on him and it has about 3 answers :lol: I don't really understand why people love Micah so much, he's really shit at his job and for me is just a reflection of how current days form over substance is preferred. I don't actually mind him per se, I just really don't get it and find it surprising how such mediocrity is followed up with "he's amazing", "he's a breath of fresh air", "it's such a change"... A bit of an emperor's new clothes situation for me.

youmeletsfly

Onuaha is really great, I think I actually created a thread on him and it has about 3 answers :lol: I don't really understand why people love Micah so much, he's really shit at his job and for me is just a reflection of how current days form over substance is preferred. I don't actually mind him per se, I just really don't get it and find it surprising how such mediocrity is followed up with "he's amazing", "he's a breath of fresh air", "it's such a change"... A bit of an emperor's new clothes situation for me.
He's funny and he doesn't have the classic british pundit dumb feck attitude, that's why people like him.

Patchbeard

He's the opposite of Jermaine Jenas and Alan Shearer as he has a personality, and offers more insight than those two (which admittedly isn't hard), so as far as pundits on BBC go he's top drawer (admittedly not much competition).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think people like him for his punditry and I don't think people care as much about football analysis at half time as they used to. People like him because he's cancelling out the dour state of the majority of pundits he works with.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Likeable, honest and seems to be able to communicate across the generational divide really well with older pundits. Miles better than loads of other pundits out there. Probably lacking some of the tactical insights of some, but people like Jamie Redknapp get license to get the board up and spout nonsesne, so don't really think it's necessary for him.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I don't think people like him for his punditry and I don't think people care as much about football analysis at half time as they used to. People like him because he's cancelling out the dour state of the majority of pundits he works with.
I get that, and I can get on board with people liking him cos he laughs loud... But he's a really terrible pundit. He offers nothing with regards to analysis, and while people say he's different to the other "dour, old school, British pundits", this is where it's style over substance - he's as shallow as most of them when it comes to offering any insight. I recently heard him analyse the defensive side of a team's performance, and his take on it was "just lump it forward, stop trying this silly passing round the back". Had Shearer offered that type of analysis, people would find it shit - cos it's Richards, and because it's followed by roaring laughter, it's fun and fresh.

I don't fundamentally care, I'm not exposed to him that much, I just am surprised at how positive people are about his obvious mediocrity at what he does.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I get that, and I can get on board with people liking him cos he laughs loud... But he's a really terrible pundit. He offers nothing with regards to analysis, and while people say he's different to the other "dour, old school, British pundits", this is where it's style over substance - he's as shallow as most of them when it comes to offering any insight. I recently heard him analyse the defensive side of a team's performance, and his take on it was "just lump it forward, stop trying this silly passing round the back". Had Shearer offered that type of analysis, people would find it shit - cos it's Richards, and because it's followed by roaring laughter, it's fun and fresh.

I don't fundamentally care, I'm not exposed to him that much, I just am surprised at how positive people are about his obvious mediocrity at what he does.
I generally agree with what you say here but I think you have to think of the context of the environment he works in. He mainly works on MOTD and Sky where they are creating content for the casual football fan/general viewer aswell as the die hard followers of football. They want a character that can bring in and make things more accessible to all rather than just football fans that want top analysts. People who are more tuned into analysis know to go to the other outlets on radio etc. that Onuoha and his ilk are on.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I generally agree with what you say here but I think you have to think of the context of the environment he works in. He mainly works on MOTD and Sky where they are creating content for the casual football fan/general viewer aswell as the die hard followers of football. They want a character that can bring in and make things more accessible to all rather than just football fans that want top analysts. People who are more tuned into analysis know to go to the other outlets on radio etc. that Onuoha and his ilk are on.
Nedum was hardly known as a pundit until recently but is now popping up for many broadcasters on many topics, not just in relation to City.
He has just finished 100 episodes of his own Podcast series called Kickback which is an excellent listen.
I'd be surprised if he doesn't take high rank among serious pundits soon.

TheLiverBird

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/59527230

Good little insight into how much some youngsters get paid too soon. Went from 5k a week to 50k ( :eek: ) and obviously went a bit mental with it.
it’s hard to comprehend tbh

£5k a week at any age is insane , let alone for an 18 year old! Plus that was 15 years ago! £5k back then is probably equivalent to £15k a week today.

On £5k a week Micah at 18 years of age would be pocketing after tax around £13k every month…..he’s earning way more than a Prime Ministers salary, way more than most CEO’s, and that’s all before he hits the la la money of £50k per week

He’ll be doing alright at Sky now too, when you’ve got Neville and Carragher reportedly earning £1 million a year as Sky Pundits, I’m sure Micah will be on a pretty handsome wedge still especially as he’s rapidly becoming a Sky favourite too

Zen

To be fair from that clip, I was kinda surprised by how surprised Lineker and Shearer seemed to be about how easy it is to blow excess money in a wild summer away. Shearer especially, he was around in the flash 90's when it mostly started - surely he knew what the Liverpool Spice Boys were blowing on their every weekend trips to London, forget the summer holidays. They've got an absolutely absurd amount of excess cash, that if, unless they are saving for monster Yacht or something.... they can do whatever the feck they want with.

He, like many others, are probably told "Yep putting this much aside will sort you and your family until death...... now this absolutely massive number here, well of course you can further invest it... but it's not massively required to do so, up to you(18 year old)"

LDUred

He's been a breath of fresh air to be honest. Adds some much needed levity to proceedings but also makes some insightful points while not seeming to have any annoying biases. He's articulate, witty, and unpredictable.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

:lol:

Mine was when I pulled a guy's shirt to stop him making a run off me, and he turned around to me and said "Do that again and i'll break you and your family's legs" ... I just pictured him two footing my nan and couldn't stop laughing.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Mine was when I pulled a guy's shirt to stop him making a run off me, and he turned around to me and said "Do that again and i'll break you and your family's legs" ... I just pictured him two footing my nan and couldn't stop laughing.
:lol: :lol:

Is Nacogdoches, Texas a particularly rough town?

NewYorkRed

He’s terrific on CBS here, I hate to admit because i never liked him as a player. The dempsey story was hilarious, though his American accent impersonation could be a touch better haha.

arnie_ni

Changed my mind on him massively the past two years.

I think he's brilliant entertainment.

His thing with neville this week is funny viewing.

united for life

I’ve likes him since he burst into the scene as a pundit. He’s not bad analysing games and most importantly, I think the world needs his laugh :lol:

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Top guy. Hate that he’s the Man City ambassador.

His punditry is entertaining which is fine. Considering insight isn’t a strong suit for pundits he isn’t breaking the mould there

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
He's fantastic.

Couldn't care less that he's from city, actually wished he had a better career. Injuries ruined him.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I still remember his first post match interview after he scored his debut goal in the fa cup for Villa.

Live on TV:

Interviewer: you got your debut goal, how does it feel?

Richards: fecking amazing

LJP

As pointed out in the thread previously, but to coin a well known phrase, I don’t think Micah is a ‘student of the game’. He knows what he knows from his time on the inside of football. Most fans like seeing him in the studio, he has an infectious laugh and you are near guaranteed a quick quip. This is the ying to the yang that is Souness and Keane to a certain extent. I enjoy him being in the studio and what he offers.

Trying to get a gag or witty response is a strategy on a MOTD for example. Lineker ghost writing lines, and bouncing/taking the Mickey at the expense of Shearer and co.

MOTD need to sort it out, it’s embarrassing how stale their show is and also quite annoying since it’s tax payers money. Why can’t they get great pundits like Micah and Keane?

Can’t stand listening to Shearers monotonous analysis, Jenas towing the line and Lineker with his scripted ‘jokes’.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Top guy. Hate that he’s the Man City ambassador.

His punditry is entertaining which is fine. Considering insight isn’t a strong suit for pundits he isn’t breaking the mould there
Even by the very low bar pundits are judged, he's tragic at analysis. I'm amazed that more isn't made of it, he's basically incompetent at the core aspects of his job but is appreciated cos he has chemistry with the others and has "an infectious laugh" (I find his laugh incredibly annoying). It's weird that I dislike him so much, I've really tried to listen to him over and over, and tried to "get it", but I just don't. As I've said before, just feels like it's this trend of glorifying mediocrity.

Of former City "legends", Nedum Onuoha is so much better. He doesn't laugh every 15 seconds or as soon as he's meant to contribute in a meaningful way, but he's super articulate and interesting. I feel he deserves more exposure (or maybe he has big exposure, and I don't realise it?)

Deery

Dreary
Even by the very low bar pundits are judged, he's tragic at analysis. I'm amazed that more isn't made of it, he's basically incompetent at the core aspects of his job but is appreciated cos he has chemistry with the others and has "an infectious laugh" (I find his laugh incredibly annoying). It's weird that I dislike him so much, I've really tried to listen to him over and over, and tried to "get it", but I just don't. As I've said before, just feels like it's this trend of glorifying mediocrity.

Of former City "legends", Nedum Onuoha is so much better. He doesn't laugh every 15 seconds or as soon as he's meant to contribute in a meaningful way, but he's super articulate and interesting. I feel he deserves more exposure (or maybe he has big exposure, and I don't realise it?)
Don’t be, he talks pure shite and it’s painful watching him trying to articulate himself.

Deery

Dreary
MOTD need to sort it out, it’s embarrassing how stale their show is and also quite annoying since it’s tax payers money. Why can’t they get great pundits like Micah and Keane?

Can’t stand listening to Shearers monotonous analysis, Jenas towing the line and Lineker with his scripted ‘jokes’.
Micah Richards is on MOTD quite regularly?

and great to describe Micah Richards is quite the stretch.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
I don't find his analysis or opinions interesting. Sometimes feel like they just let him blab on for the sake of it especially on the BBC with Chapman. Nedum is good I think.