Michael Carrick | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lu Tze

Couldn't find a thread on him, delete if appropriate.

He has been pointless all year, and was an utterly terrible waste of space today.

Anyone willing to defend him?

Ekeke

On that performance Michael Carrick couldnt even defend himself. He'd close down then fall over and allow the argument to get beyond him into space

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Hasn't justified his place in the team all season.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
He's not good enough to start for United. On that performance, he shouldn't make the bench. It's a testament to how awful our midfield is that he's been in the team.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
He is the most disappointing player for this season for me. Vaunted by the CAF football hipsters as the best thing since sliced bread he totally disappears when the going gets tough. Some of his performances have been pathetic this year. He just can't assert himself when the flak starts flying in.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He made one pretty huge tackle in the second half. Really got hammered in. It was quite surprising. I've never seen Carrick so animated.

Other than that, he's looked like half the man he was last season. He's looking so limited. Even his composure on the ball looks ropey at times, which is his biggest strength usually.

MajorTom

If I was to pinpoint one area of the pitch that has let us down this season it would be in the centre and more specifically the centre of midfield where we should be controlling possession. If you don't control the ball in the middle you are right up against it. Carrick has been lacklustre in every single game and he is now fully responsible for dictating our play and he has come up way too short. He has always been a slightly passive player but he could cut the mustard against anyone. His legs have completely gone for me and he can't compete in that position any more. Very poor season from someone who has been very solid for us for many a year. I would not start him at all for the rest of the season unless confident of the opposition being on the back foot.

johnmufc

With the continued absence of midfield partners and static movement ahead of him, what is to be expected of a player nearly 33? Other players of his type have energetic and skilled workers in front of them (Pirlo has Vidal and Pogba, Alonso has Modrić and Di María), Carrick has either a donkey (Fellaini) or a ghost (Cleverley) to work with.

Disgusting. I hope he'll ask to leave this shambles of a football club.

izzydiggler

I think Carrick has always been a complimentary player. He wouldn't look out of place in the Barcelona team but put him in an average side and he's not going to do anything.

It's a problem with a lot of our players - too few able to elevate the performance of other players and Moyes look completely incapable of inspiring any of them either.

Cina

He's gone to shit, and he's a total pussy too. People can moan about Fellaini all they want but at least he didn't just hide away like Carrick has done all season.

Hard to believe he is still our most important midfielder.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Everyone come to view that he's most definitely a pussy now? Good.

Kag

With the continued absence of midfield partners and static movement ahead of him, what is to be expected of a player nearly 33? Other players of his type have energetic and skilled workers in front of them (Pirlo has Vidal and Pogba, Alonso has Modrić and Di María), Carrick has either a donkey (Fellaini) or a ghost (Cleverley) to work with.
That's a fair point, albeit I disagree on Fellaini, but we aren't particularly kind to our older midfielders. Scholes should have received more protection, and Carrick should, too. But that would mean changing to a three man midfield, which isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I do agree with many points in here though, he's back to playing like an absolute fanny again. He needs to stop backing off people and get his foot in.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Awful. No guts. Its something he has been criticised for a lot in the past. Today those criticisms were totally justified.

We've been depending on him so heavily over the past few seasons and we're paying the price for it now. We just assumed he would maintain his good performances to make up for any shortcomings in his game. But he's been shocking and his weaknesses are apparent again. He doesn't boss a game and sometimes he can be so casual in possession. We need serious investment in midfield, and some options good enough to complement and replace him.

Bojan11

Disgusting. I hope he'll ask to leave this shambles of a football club.
Please don't compare Carrick to Pirlo or Alonso. He is not in the same class as them two.

Brwned

So basically what noodle said near the start of the season was right and the rest of the Caf has finally cottoned on?
Not quite, IMO. He's still better than any of our other options so realistically has to start every game whereas Noodle thinks dropping him would be a positive move.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
He's gone to shit, and he's a total pussy too. People can moan about Fellaini all they want but at least he didn't just hide away like Carrick has done all season.

Hard to believe he is still our most important midfielder.
I don't think he is. We don't have one anymore. No midfielder is important to us nowadays sadly.

NinjaFletch

Even when he's played well I've long maintained he's at least part of the problem in midfield.

When he plays shit it's just even more obvious.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Outnumbered and out ran. Not helped by those in front at all for long periods. Thought he and Fellaini had too much to do today and it showed.

The only time he really frustrated me was when he elected to pass a ball to Rafael rather than shoot, other than that you don't see your holding midfielders doing any less or any more than he did today.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Outnumbered and out ran. Not helped by those in front at all for long periods. Thought he and Fellaini had too much to do today and it showed.

The only time he really frustrated me was when he elected to pass a ball to Rafael rather than shoot, other than that you don't see your holding midfielders doing any less or any more than he did today.
Yep I'd go along with that. The amount of ground they had to cover was ridiculous, largely because both our strikers were playing far too high up the pitch, neither did a good enough job of dropping deep consistently.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Not aged well. Basically over the hill now.

He's 33 though. He's done well to stay at this level up till now.

Eugenius

Not aged well. Basically over the hill now.

He's 33 though. He's done well to stay at this level up till now.
Bollocks IMO. His best season ever was last year and he's not any less mobile now. He's never really got going after the Achilles problem being a notoriously slow starter in a season, it's not his fault that he's come into a team with no movement up front too.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Has been disappointing but has always been a player who has thrived when we've had movement ahead of him, we are so static in possession

Devil may care

I think he's coming to the end but pairing him with someone almost as slow and immobile is a recipe for disaster....or should that be further disaster.

bugmat

Carrick is having a Valencia of a year. From stellar PotY one year to out-of-form passenger the next. If he's here next season I expect the next stage - scapegoating.

Despite this, like Valencia he isn't inherently a abd player but he isn't cut out for a 2man midfield. When teams feared us he just about could manage it. Now that we have to actually work for the points he is showing his lack of athleticism. Moyes is asking him to play a role he never had to..

We need two box-2-box players in summer, or we change tactics from a 20man midfield.. or we continue to be embarrassed.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not quite, IMO. He's still better than any of our other options so realistically has to start every game whereas Noodle thinks dropping him would be a positive move.
If he's better than all of our other options, why does he routinely perform much worse than any player we put next to him?

It's getting extremely annoying now watching other players take the stick for Carrick's shite performances.

Even IF he was still realistically our best option there, there's no realistic argument to say he's currently playing well enough for that to be relevant. The two options are to either drop him and try something else/hope it acts as a kick up the arse, or just carry on playing him every week knowing for a fact he's not going to be good enough and will cost us games.

One of those options causes me to ask you to look up the definition of insanity in the dictionary again.

RustyS

Did anyone really expect two slower midfielders to not be dominated by a midfield three? That's without considering that both Sterling and Suarez kept dropping back as well.

Was he great? No. But would it have been realistic to expect him and fellaini to boss the midfield today?

Brwned

If he's better than all of our other options, why does he routinely perform much worse than any player we put next to him?

It's getting extremely annoying now watching other players take the stick for Carrick's shite performances.

Even IF he was still realistically our best option there, there's no realistic argument to say he's currently playing well enough for that to be relevant. The two options are to either drop him and try something else/hope it acts as a kick up the arse, or just carry on playing him every week knowing for a fact he's not going to be good enough and will cost us games.

One of those options causes me to ask you to look up the definition of insanity in the dictionary again.
I don't think he's played any worse than Cleverley or Giggs and there's no-one else besides Fletcher we can play there. We could play Jones in midfield and get Rio back in the team but that's not exactly a solution. He hasn't played well but I don't think he's played anywhere near as poorly as you do, basically.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
But the evidence stares you in the face week after week.

Clverley and Giggs have, at worst, been as bad as him. Both have had games where they've played quite well. Carrick hasn't. Fletcher and Jones have played quite well in midfield. Fellaini has been ok there. Basically everyone we've tried there has done as well or better than Carrick.

I thought it was strange after the Olympiakos game when so many people seemed to think Carrick's performance was surprising in some way.

The only evidence we have of what happens when Carrick is dropped, is what happened when he was injured earlier in the season...it kicked of a run of 6 wins in a row, which mysteriously ended as soon as he came back.

Status
Not open for further replies.