Michael Carrick | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDwyr

He should have gone instead of Lampard. Who will play the anchor role if Stevie is injured? It has been 15 years & 5 managers, but the obsession with Gerrard and Lampard is still alive and kickin'.
Jones? I guess. I don't know a lot about the English set-up. I would have taken Barry though. Or Carrick. Probably Barry because his form is a lot better than Carrick's however.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
For some reason I forgot Italy were in the group.

I think England will go out at the group stages so in hindsight, Hodgson overlooking Carrick doesn't really bother me because I'd rather he was fit and fresh for next season - what ever role the new manager has in mind for him.

United22

Shocking , horrible season in a Manchester United shirt: but does anyone else think the England squad would be better in the centre with him?

LR7

He wasn't that bad. The role he had been asked to play was the main cause of his below par performances. He was sat so deep that he was practically an auxiliary CB. Looked completely different when Giggsy took the shackles off him. I'm glad he's getting a rest this summer though, he will be 33 when the season starts. I want England to do well but they always annoy me wrt United players.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Shocking , horrible season in a Manchester United shirt: but does anyone else think the England squad would be better in the centre with him?
Absolutely not.

Mad Winger

I think he'd be one of the best defensive midfielders in the world if he was offered the luxury of playing with 2 technical versatile midfielders ahead of him in a 4-3-3 formation. Unfortunately for Carrick, we insist on playing 4-4-2 with players like Rooney and Welbeck in the space between the targetman and midfield. Not a lot of technique, creativity and overlapping runs there.

I can guarantee that Carrick would have been a massive success for any top team that plays positive attacking football and actually have other good CMs. Carrick has to play with the likes of Cleverley, Fletcher, Fellaini and players who don't belong in a midfield two, like Jones and Kagawa. That's not an easy task.

RuudTom83

I'd argue that any player from a top league would be able to look good playing behind 2 quality CMs. But if that is the only scenario where Carrick would shine then honestly he is better staying at home.

Mad Winger

I'd argue that any player from a top league would be able to look good playing behind 2 quality CMs. But if that is the only scenario where Carrick would shine then honestly he is better staying at home.
I don't think he'd just look good, he'd possibly be world class.

But obviously he's not dependent on 4-3-3 if our football is decent. He was our best player in Fergie's last season. Let's not forget that. It's only 1 year ago, after all:lol:

goldenstatesplash

I think he'd be one of the best defensive midfielders in the world if he was offered the luxury of playing with 2 technical versatile midfielders ahead of him in a 4-3-3 formation. Unfortunately for Carrick, we insist on playing 4-4-2 with players like Rooney and Welbeck in the space between the targetman and midfield. Not a lot of technique, creativity and overlapping runs there.
He has never been able to press properly. Once the forward press comes from the two advanced players he'd mark space and allow runners and sit off the ball carrier. That is part of the reason we've conceded a metric shit tonne of goals in the last two seasons.

Defensive midfielder, Carrick. You need to pick one.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He was horrible in part due to the dross alongside him.

If he was in this England squad he'd have just as much dross.

ivaldo

Being more of a DM than anyone else in the squad.
Let's stop pretending he is defensively sound, both Gerrard and Lampard have performed far better in the same deep lying role and if we ever needed anyone to shore us up in the middle Jones was always brought in, why would that be...

Glanville95

In what way?
We at least needed one more defensive-minded midfielder in the squad, as the midfield is unbalanced. Carrick has come off of a poor season, but either him or Barry should have been included in the squad at the expense of either Lampard or Milner.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Let's stop pretending he is defensively sound, both Gerrard and Lampard have performed far better in the same deep lying role and if we ever needed anyone to shore us up in the middle Jones was always brought in, why would that be...
Yeah, what a coincidence that Liverpool concede 50 goals with Gerrard in a deep lying role. And Lampard hasn't been playing deep at all.

He's a much better defensive option than any player England have right now. One bad season seems to have addled people's brains on here.

Varun

Staff
Jesus. So he's not even defensively sound now and Gerrard and Lampard are better in the role.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yea no.

goldenstatesplash

Jesus. So he's not even defensively sound now and Gerrard and Lampard are better in the role.
He's not defensively sound at all. But I agree the Gerrard and Lampard comment was a bit weird. They're both just as defensively poor. I mean Liverpool and us had huge problems leaking goals. The comment about 'not having a defensive midfielder' was sound. Barry who is quite underrated here, when used correctly is a very solid defensive player at club level.

Varun

Staff
He's not defensively sound at all. But I agree the Gerrard and Lampard comment was a bit weird. They're both just as defensively poor. I mean Liverpool and us had huge problems leaking goals. The comment about 'not having a defensive midfielder' was sound. Barry who is quite underrated here, when used correctly is a very solid defensive player at club level.
He's superior to Barry in every regard. Barry benefits having a player that's pretty much the perfect partner for him, an energetic hustling Mccarthy while the best we can partner with Carrick are Fellaini or Clev. Poor combinations.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Last season was an anomaly. Carrick is defensively very very good.

itso 7

Well Carrick has shined playing alongside a thirry eight year old Giggs, a nineteen year old defender, a finished Paul Scholes and an uninterested Wayne Rooney ( when asked to play deep midfield ) in two of the last three seasons . You'd honestly wonder how he'd have looked if played with a credible partner beside him !

ivaldo

Yeah, what a coincidence that Liverpool concede 50 goals with Gerrard in a deep lying role. And Lampard hasn't been playing deep at all.

He's a much better defensive option than any player England have right now. One bad season seems to have addled people's brains on here.
You, like everyone else seem to entirely miss my point, there's a reason I didn't refer to it as the defensive midfielder role, we lack a decent defensive midfielder entirely, they are all equally as bad as each other there, at least Gerrard and Lampard can occasionally pop up with a goal or an assist.

Varun

Staff
You, like everyone else seem to entirely miss my point, there's a reason I didn't refer to it as the defensive midfielder role, we lack a decent defensive midfielder entirely, they are all equally as bad as each other there, at least Gerrard and Lampard can occasionally pop up with a goal or an assist.
Carrick is miles ahead of Gerrard or Lampard defensively. Miles.

ivaldo

Carrick is miles ahead of Gerrard or Lampard defensively. Miles.
He's just not though, he might be slightly better but miles? Anyone thinking that he should be on that plane need to take their rose tinted glasses off.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
No, just no. Carrick is much better than the two of them defensively. It's like you've wiped the previous 6 years of his career.

Why is this even a debate? ffs

goldenstatesplash

Last season was an anomaly. Carrick is defensively very very good.
No it wasn't. His defensive stats have been declining for three seasons. Even last years were down by a lot. 1 and 3 tpg/ipg is not good enough for a defensive midfielder in this day and age. Considering some of them are at 6 and 4 an even 5 and 5.

ivaldo

No, just no. Carrick is much better than the two of them defensively. It's like you've wiped the previous 6 years of his career.

Why is this even a debate? ffs
I apologise I forgot my place, how dare I question the ability of Carrick, whom it wasn't until 3 quarters of the way through the season would anyone even consider the possibility he was playing poorly. He's severely overrated on this forum.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
No it wasn't. His defensive stats have been declining for three seasons. Even last years were down by a lot. 1 and 3 tpg/ipg is not good enough for a defensive midfielder in this day and age. Considering some of them are at 6 and 4 an even 5 and 5.
Of course it fecking was. Last season he was shit, no complaints. Season before that he was very good but his decline in defensive stats is down to him playing a slightly more attacking role. His reading of the game is top notch which is what makes him brilliant defensively.

LR7

Spot on.

ivaldo

Of course it fecking was. Last season he was shit, no complaints. Season before that he was very good but his decline in defensive stats is down to him playing a slightly more attacking role. His reading of the game is top notch which is what makes him brilliant defensively.
:lol: Attacking role?!

Varun

Staff
He's just not though, he might be slightly better but miles? Anyone thinking that he should be on that plane need to take their rose tinted glasses off.
I dont give a feck about him not being in the WC squad, if anything, am happy he has the summer off. My point isnt about whether or not he should have made the England WC squad. Its simply that defensively, there's no comparison between him and Gerrard Lampard. Am amazed you're even debating this.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I apologise I forgot my place, how dare I question the ability of Carrick, whom it wasn't until 3 quarters of the way through the season would anyone even consider the possibility he was playing poorly. He's severely overrated on this forum.
Good. Anyone who thinks Gerrard and Lampard are anywhere near Carrick's defensive ability needs to get their head checked. At least you've admitted you are wrong. That's a start.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Gerrard and Lampard have been quality players but right now Lampard is gone and Barry or Carrick should be in the squad instead of him plus Gerrard is a massive weakness off the ball for England as he is another who can't move.

Varun

Staff
Gerrard and Lampard have been quality players but right now Lampard is gone and Barry or Carrick should be in the squad instead of him plus Gerrard is a massive weakness off the ball for England as he is another who can't move.
Did Barry make the WC squad? Or is Hodgson actually planning on using Gerrard there?

Status
Not open for further replies.