Michael Carrick | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Count Orduck

I hope we move him on in July. Last year was his Indian summer. He's over the hill, and totally past it. Woeful performances all year and nowhere near fit to lead out midfield moving forwards. Hopefully he's on a one year contract like our other players over thirty so we can just let it run down.

SecondFig

Past it. Lacks the balls to lead us and only does well when we as a team are doing well. We need to bring in 2 top cms asap and he can be back-up.
Thta's the main problem for me - he's never the difference, never the player to drag us through a game. When we're on top he can look magesterial, but he's the absolute epitome of a fair weather player

Care_de_Bobo

I know he's not the most popular player, but surely Fellaini is more deserving of a place in our midfield than Carrick or Fletcher this season, based on his performances. Sure he was poor in the big games(who wasn't), but he has at least looked decent in other games.

I'd honestly play Fellaini and either Jones or Pearson for the remaining two games. Can't be any worse than the performances Carrick and Fletcher put in today. Carrick just lacks balls, and Fletcher isn't the player he once was, through no fault of his own tbh. He still shouldn't have let Wickham put that cross in for the goal, schoolboy defending. Looked like he decided not to block it so he didn't concede a corner.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Said in the Fletcher thread, him and Carrick are the worst combination midfield I've seen for us, based on today. That was shocking. They hardly moved about, they dwelled on the ball EVERYTIME they got it. There was no one touch passing and moving, no forward ambition, no guts. For a team to give players as much time on the ball as Sunderland did today, they did literally nothing with it.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Carrick's time is up. Time to move him on.
I agree.

He's a great player who contributed heavily on our previous successes but we now need a modern CM/DM. He is very calm on the ball but he is too immobile. Modern day DM chase after the ball with a good degree of aggression/passion when he loses it. Well, maybe Keano will beg to differ. Anyway, I think if we replace Carrick with a ball playing and dynamic DM, it'll be a great way to rebuild the team and change our style. Do we need to change our style? That's another issue altogether though.

Dominos

Our 2nd best player behind Van Persie last season and now he needs to move on. This place at times..

There isn't a midfielder at the club that any of you would keep - Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini, Anderson, Cleverley and Giggs would all be out the door. What you propose, we sign 5 new CM's in the summer? Even if you're going to be a hysterical knee jerk bellend, let's be realistic at least. He's a good player who's had a shit season, there's no chance we shouldn't at least keep him around as a squad option, there's been countless times a player has been written off as past it only for them to go on a prove they can still play a part. Amazing to think people still to this day want Evra to stay, even though he hasn't been able to defend since 2010, yet Carrick can't be afforded 1 poor season whereby the majority of the squad have been shite.

Our 2nd best player behind Van Persie last season and now he needs to move on. This place at times..

There isn't a midfielder at the club that any of you would keep - Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini, Anderson, Cleverley and Giggs would all be out the door. What you propose, we sign 5 new CM's in the summer? Even if you're going to be a hysterical knee jerk bellend, let's be realistic at least. He's a good player who's had a shit season, there's no chance we shouldn't at least keep him around as a squad option, there's been countless times a player has been written off as past it only for them to go on a prove they can still play a part. Amazing to think people still to this day want Evra to stay, even though he hasn't been able to defend since 2010, yet Carrick can't be afforded 1 poor season whereby the majority of the squad have been shite.
Some good points there. I'd like Carrick to stay but it's quite obvious we've depended on him far too much. We've assumed he would continue to play at a decent level but nobody anticipated such an atrocious season for him. It's shown up the lack of quality we have in CM yet again.

I couldn't believe how sloppy he was out there. Couldn't pass to team mates, couldn't carry the ball and afraid to shoot. Fletcher was woeful paired with him as well and was just as much of a liability. Is this what our midfield has come to now?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's has a horrific season like most of our players but I am hopeful under a better manager he can regain his form. Age shouldn't be too much of an issue for someone like Carrick.

LR7

I thought he was our best player yesterday tbh. I think the issue was the combination of him and Fletcher (who was just awful). The midfield lacked mobility and energy and I think it's why the Carrick-Cleverley axis is the best midfield combo we've currently got. Carrick can get on with his passing and intercepting whilst Cleverley offers the legs, tempo, energy and mobility.

bugmat

I thought he was our best player yesterday tbh. I think the issue was the combination of him and Fletcher (who was just awful). The midfield lacked mobility and energy and I think it's why the Carrick-Cleverley axis is the best midfield combo we've currently got. Carrick can get on with his passing and intercepting whilst Cleverley offers the legs, tempo, energy and mobility.
I cannot find words...

ZDwyr

I'm sorry but I just can't take this seriously. He was partly at fauly for Sunderland's goal yesterday. He let Larsson run past him. The Cleverley thing is just wrong too. Cleverley disappears, that's what he does. He may have once provided those things but it was a long, long time ago.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Yeah I hope we get rid of him too. With our track record of securing top level central midfielders, I can't wait until our options are fletcher, Fellaini and Cleverley.

Shit season but of what we have left, he's got to be one of the last to go of the 30+ players we currently have.

I reckon van Gaal could use him more effectively than any of the other current midfielders and I personally don't fancy our chances in this summer window.

But along with the rest, awful yesterday. From back to front it was a nightmare.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Sadly shouldn't be anywhere near the England side for the WC. Been such a big disappointment.

Truedevil

He had no rest last year at all, so I'm not surprised he is having a season like this. Same with Evra they both carried us last year with RvP but their time is up.

How the hell will we sign a whole new garniture of midfielders i don't know..

Shark

@NotShark
There's always one. :lol:

saivet

Sadly shouldn't be anywhere near the England side for the WC. Been such a big disappointment.
Yep, I don't think he'll make it. I expect, Rooney, Welbeck, Jones and Smalling to go from United.

Giggsforever

Carrick was our best midfielder yesterday, that's for sure. Fletcher was by far the worst player on the pitch.

Andrew~

Some people here might be surprised to see how much Carrick gets games, if Van Gaal comes in.

Kayo

Outside Lou Macari's with a can of strongbow.
Been useless all season, Cleverley, Young and Fellaini seem to be scape goats but Carrick has been just as bad.

Fully deserves to be sat on a beach twiddling his thumbs whilst others go to the World Cup instead of him.

Esquire

Completely agree. It really is mind-blowing that some here can be so unforgiving. He, like many others on the team, has had a very disappointing season. There is no denying that he may not be a world class midfielder fully deserving of a starting XI spot anymore but let's face it: he is still serviceable and one of the least culpable this year. He has never been a game changer and never will be, but that is not his fault. He knows his role and has played it well (save this year). Now of all a sudden he should be viewed in the same bracket as Young and Cleverley and discarded with haste?

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Completely agree. It really is mind-blowing that some here can be so unforgiving. He, like many others on the team, has had a very disappointing season. There is no denying that he may not be a world class midfielder fully deserving of a starting XI spot anymore but let's face it: he is still serviceable and one of the least culpable this year. He has never been a game changer and never will be, but that is not his fault. He knows his role and has played it well (save this year). Now of all a sudden he should be viewed in the same bracket as Young and Cleverley and discarded with haste?
Good post.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Been useless all season, Cleverley, Young and Fellaini seem to be scape goats but Carrick has been just as bad.

Fully deserves to be sat on a beach twiddling his thumbs whilst others go to the World Cup instead of him.
Good post.

MoneyMay

Very disappointing season for him, but he was good when he came on today.

It will be interesting to see the role he plays next season, but we need an alternative (replacement)...

Zak Smith

Really hope to see an improvement next season, a return to the 2012/2013 form is definitely called for. Hopefully with some new midfield partners.

DevilRed

Just seems like his legs are gone. He never used to be that mobile even in his prime, but this season really takes the cake.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Just seems like his legs are gone. He never used to be that mobile even in his prime, but this season really takes the cake.
He's been shocking but our lack of forward planning to deal with it has been equally shocking.

Hargreaves left we did nothing.

Scholes retired we did nothing.

City bought Fernandinho...Chelsea bought Matic...we got Fellaini. Says it all.

We improved a lot having him, a proper centre midfielder, on today. But he's nearly 33 and obviously running out of stream. Carrick should be playing 20-30 games a season and being phased out. Not being relied on for 40-50 appearances a year.

JSMHE

He changed the game today.Well, after all he's our best centre midfield from all we have this season. His legs are really gone. What a player he was last season. But comparing his performance this season and last season is like the distance between space and Earth.

Roboc7

His best days are behind him now and should only be backup next season but he is still our best cm at the moment and by some distance. Other than giggs he is the only midfielder who can pass the ball anywhere near the level we need, fellaini, fletcher and Cleverley rarely play passes further than 10 yards, carrick hasn't done it enough this season but he has at least shown he is capable of doing it.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Utterly spineless all season. When we have needed players to step up and be counted he's gone missing. Not the only one by far, but that's no excuse. Shit this season, good last, shit the year before.

Amir

He's been shocking but our lack of forward planning to deal with it has been equally shocking.

Hargreaves left we did nothing.

Scholes retired we did nothing.
Anderson was clearly not impoving, Fletcher became ill... They way we've handled our midfield in recent years was terrible. And even when it was still OK like around 2010 it could have been improved. I don't know what happened to Fergie there.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Utterly spineless all season. When we have needed players to step up and be counted he's gone missing. Not the only one by far, but that's no excuse. Shit this season, good last, shit the year before.
2011/12 was a great season for Carrick, what are you on about.

Dominos

Revisionism at its finest. If you were voicing that opinion at the end of 11/12 then you'd have been laughed off the forum.

goldenstatesplash

Very disappointing season for him, but he was good when he came on today.

It will be interesting to see the role he plays next season, but we need an alternative (replacement)...
Unfortunately I've had to come into work early this morning and I didn't get to see the game last night. (Talk about a shit thing having to wake up in hope of a City win!) We need to upgrade our ball winning department with competent fast ground defending players. If we use him again next season without bringing in a proper ball winner next season I think I'll lose my mind completely.
Anderson was clearly not impoving, Fletcher became ill... They way we've handled our midfield in recent years was terrible. And even when it was still OK like around 2010 it could have been improved. I don't know what happened to Fergie there.
I am starting to feel that Fletcher going down and Hargreaves before him were partly responsible for our current midfield woes. The club and Ferguson's loyalty to such players is probably why they weren't directly replaced instantly.

I mean Fletch on paper should have been replaced instantly with a new ball winner. But I can't blame him or Fletch, I still feel for that bloke. He looked genuinely world class and like he was going to help us conquer the world before he was struck down. After all the shit he copped growing into his role I really feel for him. Hope he can get back to some semblance of form and ability and give us a boost if he stays in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.